Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
func parp(game) {
return fail
}

*Midnight in the Roberts house. Wife and kids are all asleep. Crack codemmando CR takes a sip of his Four Loco and begins to code. His fingers fly across the keyboard, as if possessed.*

parp(star citizen)

*CR takes a shower and goes to bed. WITNESS HIS VISION*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...eaking-geniuses

Broadband is such an issue... so they re-invented it the way it will handle... Now excuse me while i have to download a 30GB patch for a missing doorknob.
:negative:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Yeah, but ever since the story they have been very quiet.
So all in all it removes some credibility about the "vetted" sources.

This is what I really would love to know, why hasn't there been a follow up on their original story? There has happened a lot since that day.

The fact that they didn't remove the story but stood by it (and didn't get sued by RSI or prompt another Croberts meltdown) shows that both Croberts and the Escapist's legal teams still considers the original Escapist article to be credible.

The reason why they haven't done a follow up article is probably the same reason that industry gossip sites (especially financial and legal ones) quickly get shut down. The threat of litigation and defamation is too big for the story to be worth it. The horde of angry commentators aren't really a thing compared to the actual lawsuits that could come. Sure you'd inevitably win but the time and legal cost would far outweigh the page clicks and ad space you'd make.

Besides, half of the stuff that goes through this thread about CIG's employees couldn't be published on any real news site because at the end of the day, it is just employee gossip that nobody outside of this thread or the cult gives a poo poo about.

Roberts being a terrible manager or Sandi using her time to do movies and poo poo aren't really newsworthy stories until the real story (Star Citizen getting cancelled) breaks in which case all these little crazy tales will come out of the woodwork. I mean, have a look at all the insane employee stories of people who use to work at Lehman's or Enron or Anderson that could only come out after the company had collapsed despite everybody in the industry and related media circles knowing about it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

You're such a magician with words :smuggo:

Women call me Cyrano. :grin:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

Why does the UEE use big fuckoff main thrusters when the smaller ones deliver the same output? Is it an orc thing?

Oh man stop making me imagine cooler games.
No, iirc there is no real reason for it. You would think - since it's common sense - that something which is bigger and uses the same technology, it is better/faster in some way. And if it doesn't use the same technology then why are they using it.

But in Chris Roberts Magical Space Adventure this is not the case so the ships have big engine probably for aesthetic reasons.

I'm gonna click my heels now and wish I would return to a world where there is no Star Citizen. Get me out of here.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
To mitigate the problem with different ship/player limits causing ships to disappear unexpectedly, why don't CIG just make all ships single-seaters?

Oh wait...

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Kegslayer posted:

The fact that they didn't remove the story but stood by it (and didn't get sued by RSI or prompt another Croberts meltdown) shows that both Croberts and the Escapist's legal teams still considers the original Escapist article to be credible.

The reason why they haven't done a follow up article is probably the same reason that industry gossip sites (especially financial and legal ones) quickly get shut down. The threat of litigation and defamation is too big for the story to be worth it. The horde of angry commentators aren't really a thing compared to the actual lawsuits that could come. Sure you'd inevitably win but the time and legal cost would far outweigh the page clicks and ad space you'd make.

Besides, half of the stuff that goes through this thread about CIG's employees couldn't be published on any real news site because at the end of the day, it is just employee gossip that nobody outside of this thread or the cult gives a poo poo about.

Roberts being a terrible manager or Sandi using her time to do movies and poo poo aren't really newsworthy stories until the real story (Star Citizen getting cancelled) breaks in which case all these little crazy tales will come out of the woodwork. I mean, have a look at all the insane employee stories of people who use to work at Lehman's or Enron or Anderson that could only come out after the company had collapsed despite everybody in the industry and related media circles knowing about it.

I don't know man, free speech and such..
Also, how is posting articles about facts a reason for a legal battle?

The Red KHARTUUU( whatsitcalled) was sold as a 2 seater with some imaginary gameplay features added to it. This is a fact, What excuse not to use this in an article?
The whole freelancer debacle?
Le starmarine?
The buying of expensive furniture only to be obliterated by the elephant in the room?
The lack of direction/progress?

Its one thing to post articles about in house problems, but these are all valid concerns (and out in the open).
So yeah, I think the escapist has thrown in the towel.

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 1, 2016

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

The Red KHARTUUU( whatsitcalled) was sold as a 2 seater with some imaginary gameplay features added to it. This is a fact, What excuse not to use this in an article?
Le starmarine?
The buying of expensive furniture only to be obliterated by the elephant in the room?

Its one thing to post articles about in house problems, but these are all valid concerns.

Maybe they received death threats. I wouldn't be surprised.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Krakenwagen posted:

Maybe they received death threats. I wouldn't be surprised.

If this stops you then you're in the wrong line of work.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh man stop making me imagine cooler games.
No, iirc there is no real reason for it. You would think - since it's common sense - that something which is bigger and uses the same technology, it is better/faster in some way. And if it doesn't use the same technology then why are they using it.

But in Chris Roberts Magical Space Adventure this is not the case so the ships have big engine probably for aesthetic reasons.

I'm gonna click my heels now and wish I would return to a world where there is no Star Citizen. Get me out of here.

Nah, the reason is simpler. Chris Roberts promised faithfully simulated thruster physics but since he is a stupid person he didn't consider that this in turn demands that the ships be designed by actual rocket scientists. Someone may or may not have tried to explain this to him but regardless they still went with "have the artists design cool [no, not really] ships and the coders will then place the thrusters in a way that will make it work". Well, it "worked" as well as you'd expect.

That's how you get poo poo like the Scythe in a game that promised "realistic thruster physics" as one of it's selling points. Of course now they can't just admit they are faking the entire thing because of the whole "promised feature as one of it's selling points" so they come up with these bullshit explanations for why the maneuvering thrusters have the same output as the main thruster. The reality is that they are faking it all, the output is whatever they want it to be. Worse still, they are faking it in the worst way possible, instead of moving the ship however the gently caress they wanted and then animating the thrusters with whatever looked credible for the result they are still loving around with power parameters in individual visible and invisible thrusters. :psyduck:

All the problems of the real thing with none of the payoff. Chris Roberts ladies and gentlemen. :downsbravo:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 1, 2016

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah I can see that.
Who thought that designing spaceships is hard.

The answer: Anyone who ever played KSP.

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

Severed bird heads. Rubber Gary Oldman masks. Spent air horns. The possibilities are endless...

But yeah, most probably they just found the effort not worth it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Why would they? It's the largest crowdfunded game in history, even if the story itself hadn't been massive, the lawsuit threat and the sources they had means they'll be far ahead of the field when the current development phase ends.

The only reason to back away from following this up would be if they found out that some of the allegations were false. As their legal team cleared the original story, I assume that's unlikely. They have nothing at all to prove and there is a risk of legal action, so they can wait.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Okay serious?
This is an actual dev response?

HOW? I... gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

I love his signature. Really fitting for a staff member.

Yeah. We all got served. In one way or another.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

You don't need to have an actual journalism degree and listen to poo poo about "ethics" and "integrity" to become a games "journalist". If what they do is journalism then every blogger is a journalist.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

You don't need to have an actual journalism degree and listen to poo poo about "ethics" and "integrity" to become a games "journalist". If what they do is journalism then every blogger is a journalist.

Touché.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

:eyepop: :psyboom:

That explains everything

darkarchon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 1, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Nah, the reason is simpler. Chris Roberts promised faithfully simulated thruster physics but since he is a stupid person he didn't consider that this in turn demands that the ships be designed by actual rocket scientists. Someone may or may not have tried to explain this to him but regardless they still went with "have the artists design cool [no, not really] ships and the coders will then place the thrusters in a way that will make it work". Well, it "worked" as well as you'd expect.

That's how you get poo poo like the Scythe in a game that promised "realistic thruster physics" as one of it's selling points. Of course now they can't just admit they are faking the entire thing because of the whole "promised feature as one of it's selling points" so they come up with these bullshit explanations for why the maneuvering thrusters have the same output as the main thruster. The reality is that they are faking it all, the output is whatever they want it to be. Worse still, they are faking it in the worst way possible, instead of moving the ship however the gently caress they wanted and then animating the thrusters with whatever looked credible for the result they are still loving around with power parameters in individual visible and invisible thrusters. :psyduck:

All the problems of the real thing with none of the payoff. Chris Roberts ladies and gentlemen. :downsbravo:

I still can't figure out for the life of me why "realistic thruster physics" was a selling point to begin with. Literally nobody does that, and there's a reason why.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

I still can't figure out for the life of me why "realistic thruster physics" was a selling point to begin with. Literally nobody does that, and there's a reason why.

I can see E: D doing Newtonian physics on their thrusters since the ships are rather simplistic designed. But I don't think even they do and really, why would they.

No one with a normal functioning brain cares.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

This is marketing speak at its most transparent. "Things are just too dynamic at the moment." Hey Kraiklyn, you misspelled "disorganized".

ether
May 20, 2001

Why is there something casting a shadow next to the spacemans head?
I haven't seen a video with GoPro Hero SPACEPARP EDITION mounted on helmets yet there is something casting a shadow there.

I'm glad of it though, otherwise I would have been a true victim to immerse the 'verse.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

There is no lol emoticon large enough.

As for how? Incompetence. Sheer, undiluted, 100% pure incompetence. What game development expertise and experience that may be held by any older developers on the team is annihilated and nullified by CRobber's insistence on doing things his way, no theirs, and to not let something as silly as plans or structure get in the way of his ever-changing chaos.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This line made me :gary:

:lesnick:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Michaellaneous posted:

I can see E: D doing Newtonian physics on their thrusters since the ships are rather simplistic designed. But I don't think even they do and really, why would they.

They probably could, at least for most of their ships. But like you said why the hell would they? Nobody actually cares, it's incredibly time-consuming, and it hinders the design of the game. Hell, even KSP fudges a lot of their thruster and weight values just to make the game playable.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Le starmarine?

Its one thing to post articles about in house problems, but these are all valid concerns (and out in the open).

Yeah free speech is great and all but the Escapist is a gaming site, it's about making money, not focused on the journalistic principles of the fourth estate.

I think they've just stopped reporting on it because there's nothing more to say. None of those things you've listed are really big story items that are worth dealing with another Croberts meltdown. Other sites have covered the updates in pretty neutral tones but a $150 spaceship was sold with one seat instead of two or a fat dude sitting on expensive furniture isn't worth reporting on given they've already gotten a target on their back.

What can I say? Lawyers are expensive.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

They probably could, at least for most of their ships. But like you said why the hell would they? Nobody actually cares, it's incredibly time-consuming, and it hinders the design of the game. Hell, even KSP fudges a lot of their thruster and weight values just to make the game playable.

Yes because otherwise you need to a be literal rocket scientist and that just isn't a whole lot of fun to learn to play a game.

I'd choose game balance over fidelity any day.
Actually I'd choose anything over fidelity. Fidelity is a lovely term that now sucks thanks to croberts.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

It's the 'tism, see?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes because otherwise you need to a be literal rocket scientist and that just isn't a whole lot of fun to learn to play a game.

I'd choose game balance over fidelity any day.
Actually I'd choose anything over fidelity. Fidelity is a lovely term that now sucks thanks to croberts.

Does fidelity mean high res textures and large poly counts? Cause otherwise I am not seeing the fidelity.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Michaellaneous posted:

Faking Newtonian movement in a credible way is very possible, you just need the ship movement and thruster animations to look credible and don't worry about real mass and forces. That is the smart way to do it, why would you gently caress around with serious physics poo poo when that requires real no poo poo rocket scientists? You don't just toss cargo onboard with your grabby hands willy-nilly, that will unbalance your weight distribution and you'll crash your ship trying to exit the station. Physics is a bitch.

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

Eheheh roadmaps...agony and ecstasy of managers and developers alike. This guy is clueless, I would expect this from a Junior or some Intern.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sillybones posted:

Does fidelity mean high res textures and large poly counts? Cause otherwise I am not seeing the fidelity.

For the citizens, yes.
In actual games, no, unless we're talking specifically about visual fidelity (and even then, neither of those two are strictly necessary).

MeLKoR posted:

Faking Newtonian movement in a credible way is very possible, you just need the ship movement and thruster animations to look credible and don't worry about real mass and forces. That is the smart way to do it, why would you gently caress around with serious physics poo poo when that requires real no poo poo rocket scientists? You don't just toss cargo onboard with your grabby hands willy-nilly, that will unbalance your weight distribution and you'll crash your ship trying to exit the station. Physics is a bitch.

I'm willing to bet a sizeable chunk of change that there are ready-made packages for some type of inverse kinematics solver to make thrusters behave realistically. As in, rather than take thruster vectors and figuring out the resulting motion, it takes a set of motions and figures out what the thrusters should be doing to get that result. IK animation is an ancient trick for something as complex as human characters by now; doing the same for very simple, rigid-body 6dof movement should be absolutely trivial.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 1, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/704655040821268480

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Kegslayer posted:

Yeah free speech is great and all but the Escapist is a gaming site, it's about making money, not focused on the journalistic principles of the fourth estate.

I think they've just stopped reporting on it because there's nothing more to say. None of those things you've listed are really big story items that are worth dealing with another Croberts meltdown. Other sites have covered the updates in pretty neutral tones but a $150 spaceship was sold with one seat instead of two or a fat dude sitting on expensive furniture isn't worth reporting on given they've already gotten a target on their back.

What can I say? Lawyers are expensive.

I sincerely doubt any legal action was taken.
Perhaps you are correct. Still sounds like a cowardly approach tho.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
In 2.2g news (which you can't play because you're not a PTU player), the Constellation turrets are more functional:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_7i0qfMHzs

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

You're right, it's not the best idea. The best idea is to do all of that as soon as you get funding.

quote:

To capture how all of these efforts move forward, our Producer, Chris 01, has been working on a high-level block schedule for the project and planning our major milestones for next year. Our goal is to have a vertical slice (i.e. a representative demo short on content, but more complete development of high priority systems) of the combat game ready next summer and then bring on a larger production team to build out the environments, missions, and content around the same time. It’s a slow, careful burn until code foundations and content pipelines are in place and proven.

But what the gently caress does Harebrained Schemes know, all they've done is release three games and developed a reputation for being one of the most reliable game companies in crowd funding.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

Ignoring everything else that's wrong about what he said, how exactly is it unfair for the community to expect features form the developers two years after they were supposed to be released? Like in what world is it unfair for me to expect a product that I've paid for?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Star Citizen: A solid roadmap would place unfair expectations onto the developers.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

Also there should be red alert sirens blaring so loud other galaxies pick them up at a project that is "too dynamic" for roadmaps years into development and after a "significant portion of gameplay was released" in the form of their PTU Parkinson's Physics™ tech demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Okay serious?

HOW? I... gently caress.

I have been in this thread too long because I am completely unsurprised that a CIG dev would post that.

• Locked thread