Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

nosl posted:

lol

hard to design for security from the ground up when you are the one creating the vector that will be exploited.

in case it was too subtle, the joke was that the "linux" bug i mentioned was actually an ios bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
_marshaled_pUnk is my favorite Apple security bug that went unpatched for three years.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet posted:

weird. chrome keeps trying to fetch this with https and failing.

aha. found the reason why random images don't load for me.
code:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Security-Policy" content="upgrade-insecure-requests"> 

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

xnu implements mandatory access control based on FreeBSD, and has contributed changes back to FreeBSD

awesome. i am very happy to be wrong about this

i guess that only leaves netbsd and openbsd in the kiddie pool, then.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

???? OSX and iOS have MAC its just that iOS enables it and it's administered by apple mostly

its what keeps apps sandboxed iirc

e: in fact the issue w/ selinux is the linux part w/ lots of one-eyed people leading around the blind

fedora is making good progress with a tool called "sandbox"

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sandboxing

it is as simple as just running /usr/bin/sandbox /thing/you/wanted/to/run. zero learning curve.

unfortunately it uses Xephyr to handle X11 requirements.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
We need security from the ground up!
Ignores SELinux is built into the kernel.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

akadajet posted:

aha. found the reason why random images don't load for me.
code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Security-Policy" content="upgrade-insecure-requests"> 

the gently caress why wouldn't you handle that with HSTS and use response headers to indicate security policy vs. managing it in HTML documents which seems far more stupid

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

actually only OpenBSD, NetBSD has RBAC via kauth

it may not be full MAC but it's a big step in that direction and I suspect it's only a matter of time before it morphs into full MAC

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sniep posted:

the gently caress why wouldn't you handle that with HSTS and use response headers to indicate security policy vs. managing it in HTML documents which seems far more stupid

well, it exists for when you for one reason or another can't easily control the headers

for that specific case there are broader questions about their need for https though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sniep posted:

it's behind the "experimental features" flag in the account preferences, so i'm not too mad.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
A friend of mine bought some shite janky chinese macbook air clone, he couldn't get the touchpad working in linux so mailed the manufacturer asking what the device was and what the driver is, and he got this reply:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your e-mail.
linux? Why? the laptop come with Windows 8.1 pro. Can you take a photo?

The chinese are truly an ancient and wise race

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I've always wondered what the Chinese net is like. I'm sure their dark net is a bit more active. or maybe they just get past the great firewall and participate in the rest of the net.

never buy Chinese knockoffs.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

akadajet posted:

it's behind the "experimental features" flag in the account preferences, so i'm not too mad.

that'd explain it

HSTS and having it be an 'experimental feature' are polar opposite

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
edit: im dumb

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

b0red posted:

I've always wondered what the Chinese net is like. I'm sure their dark net is a bit more active. or maybe they just get past the great firewall and participate in the rest of the net.

never buy Chinese knockoffs.

I would think that the majority of the Chinese net are blog posts. there are Chinese alternatives to Facebook (which is banned in China). I have heard that the Chinese government doesn't really care if a few Chinese are on sites but, sites like the New York Times and other foreign news websites and pretty much banned.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mapparu posted:

I would think that the majority of the Chinese net are blog posts. there are Chinese alternatives to Facebook (which is banned in China). I have heard that the Chinese government doesn't really care if a few Chinese are on sites but, sites like the New York Times and other foreign news websites and pretty much banned.

the chinese counterparts to facebook, twitter, etc are extensively censored.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Red Hat is now sponsoring the NPR quiz show Ask me another

here is house musician Jonathan Coulton from that song in Portal and

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

axolotl farmer posted:

he was best friends or maybe roommates with john hodgman when they were in college :allears:

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the chinese counterparts to facebook, twitter, etc are extensively censored.

I'd assume they have some sort of 4chan, reddit, poo poo vbulletin site clones as well. I wonder if their tor network is more popular due to the amount of censorship they have.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I guess most of the chinese people don't view their own censorship from a western perspective so probably not.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I mean like if you'd poll them you'd be surprised about how they view the issue and how it's not the exact same opinion as the liberal western computerfondlers have.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

computer toucher posted:

liberal western computerfondler.

moooods

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer toucher posted:

I mean like if you'd poll them you'd be surprised about how they view the issue and how it's not the exact same opinion as the liberal western computerfondlers have.

as with everything else in china, the polling of mainland chinese is restricted by the government. good luck asking anyone questions that could be interpreted as critical of government policy

(not to mention, who would be stupid enough to answer honestly?)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

axolotl farmer posted:

redhat and ask me another are two great tastes that taste great together

this is extremely my poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
they both live off tips

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wait wait don't smell me

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

all PNGs considered would be a great D&D pics thread

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

computer toucher posted:

I guess most of the chinese people don't view their own censorship from a western perspective so probably not.

most people don't care or don't encounter the censorship in the first place

the people who do can find ways around it, but aren't dumb enough to loudly proclaim it

besides, the most popular western media is tv shows which aren't exactly of the "free tibet" variety as of late

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

I think internet censorship has just become sadly a thing that people in China have coped with and they probably have their own ways of getting around it. However, I am not an expert on China obviously.

computer parts posted:

most people don't care or don't encounter the censorship in the first place

Yeah, I think a lot of the discussions on Chinese websites are probably the same discussions you would see on Facebook. Just not weird political rants by your twice-removed cousin or whatever. It is an interesting subject however.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I guess people all around are way more invested in the petty minutiae of their small lives than grand concepts of human dignity & progress.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Breakfast All Day posted:

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Breakfast All Day posted:

this post has convinced me, i'll call them pings now.

rip pee en gee, 1996-2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

gabensraum posted:

this post has convinced me, i'll call them pings now.

rip pee en gee, 1996-2016

It has explicitly been 'ping' since day 1 :milk:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheany posted:

It has explicitly been 'ping' since day 1 :milk:

you probably can't pronounce gif correctly either

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

probably, but i pronounce jpeg "jayfeg"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

prefect posted:

it's actually pronounced yiff :furcry:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

prefect posted:

neither of the popular options is really satisfying so i pronounce it with a low guttural growl in the back of my throat

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i pronounce it how i want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
computer terms should be communicated as unpronounceable pictographs