Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I find it funny that the only Punk or heavier rock I've ever heard on the radio has been CBC. But only for a short segment of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

lol if you buy Kenmore. I bought a Kenmore fridge way back. The compressor went out within five years. The repairman came to change it out and told me it was a Frigidaire. I asked him if they were pieces of poo poo and he told me, "The compressor's on back order. What does that tell you?" You never know what you get when you buy a Kenmore. gently caress Sears.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I'm the 16 different radio stations programmed into your car stereo all playing commercials at the same time, ama

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I have Sirius in my car and use it pretty frequently, the only thing is I don't pay much for it. After the current period I've paid for ends, I just let it lapse and just listen to music off my usb drive for a while. Sirius will send me increasingly desperate sounding emails until they're finally like OK WE NEED YOUR BUSINESS HERES A CODE FOR $6/6 MONTHS. I'll sign up, go back online, cancel any kind of recurring sub it tried to put me in and still get the 6 months no problem. Then I just let it lapse, lather, rinse, repeat. Been working fine for 2 years, I don't think I've paid more than $25 for a year's worth of service yet

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I really like XM radio. The channels I listen to seem to have better curation than any terrestrial radio I've found. v:shobon:v Some DJs get stuck on certain songs and play them too often, but the programming nowadays is much better than it was back when it merged with Sirius. gently caress listening to commercials on the radio, ugh.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Navin Johnson posted:

lol if you buy Kenmore. I bought a Kenmore fridge way back. The compressor went out within five years. The repairman came to change it out and told me it was a Frigidaire. I asked him if they were pieces of poo poo and he told me, "The compressor's on back order. What does that tell you?" You never know what you get when you buy a Kenmore. gently caress Sears.

But kenmore is whirlpool ?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Iron Prince posted:

I have Sirius in my car and use it pretty frequently, the only thing is I don't pay much for it. After the current period I've paid for ends, I just let it lapse and just listen to music off my usb drive for a while. Sirius will send me increasingly desperate sounding emails until they're finally like OK WE NEED YOUR BUSINESS HERES A CODE FOR $6/6 MONTHS. I'll sign up, go back online, cancel any kind of recurring sub it tried to put me in and still get the 6 months no problem. Then I just let it lapse, lather, rinse, repeat. Been working fine for 2 years, I don't think I've paid more than $25 for a year's worth of service yet

I think $12-20/yr is more in line with reality. Something I'd be willing to pay to get rid of commercials forever despite living in a world where everyone just curates their own personal playlists, probably with torrented/mega'd/what.cd-sourced free music.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Mozi posted:

IT'S JUST A PAIR OF SCISSORS.

I can tell you why this happens.

I have sold a lot of things on Amazon. Go look at any item that you can buy from any vendor other than amazon.com. Chances are, you'll take a quick peek at their rating as based upon reviews by other users. The only way to get those reviews is by sending out the emails like you quoted.

See, I said I have sold a lot of things on Amazon, but I only have like 3 reviews. So what happens is I have to price things I sell much lower than the competition, because buyers will assume I'm less reliable because nobody has reviewed me. Furthermore, Amazon was holding funds for some TVs that I sold until the buyer verified that they received their TVs. When I asked why, it was because I didn't have enough reviews proving I was not a scammer. The customer service rep specifically told me that I should send emails like you quoted, basically harassing the buyer into giving me a review.

I tried a couple times, never got reviews, and gave up on selling on Amazon. gently caress that model. Nobody wants to leave a review when they're being harassed to.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

johnny sack posted:

I can tell you why this happens.

I have sold a lot of things on Amazon. Go look at any item that you can buy from any vendor other than amazon.com. Chances are, you'll take a quick peek at their rating as based upon reviews by other users. The only way to get those reviews is by sending out the emails like you quoted.

See, I said I have sold a lot of things on Amazon, but I only have like 3 reviews. So what happens is I have to price things I sell much lower than the competition, because buyers will assume I'm less reliable because nobody has reviewed me. Furthermore, Amazon was holding funds for some TVs that I sold until the buyer verified that they received their TVs. When I asked why, it was because I didn't have enough reviews proving I was not a scammer. The customer service rep specifically told me that I should send emails like you quoted, basically harassing the buyer into giving me a review.

I tried a couple times, never got reviews, and gave up on selling on Amazon. gently caress that model. Nobody wants to leave a review when they're being harassed to.

Why are you selling tvs on Amazon and not at work?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Darth123123 posted:

Why are you selling tvs on Amazon and not at work?

Why would I sell TVs at work?

edit: If that was supposed to be a sick burn because you think I work in retail, I don't :ssh:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

johnny sack posted:

edit: If that was supposed to be a sick burn because you think I work in retail, I don't :ssh:

you should offer free drinks for 5-star Amazon reviews

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

johnny sack posted:

If you aren't guilt tripping coworkers into buying useless junk from you, you ain't living right.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Tossing Sports Authority into the bonfire.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

CubanMissile posted:

This has nothing to do with Yelp's actual power and everything to do with local bar owners not knowing what they're doing. A local bar owner is usually an average Joe who came into a little money at some point and say "Hey, I'll open a bar." Then through sheer luck that person hit the magical combination of location, staff, and pricing and the bar somehow managed to not fail right away. It leads that person to think they're a genius and they "know the business" and all aspects surrounding it, especially marketing. These people are very behind in technology and since they've never used traditional advertising before they think they don't need it.

The first thing they do is instruct the entire staff that they absolutely need to check-in on Facebook with stuff like "Come see me! Installing hangovers till 12am! :) " and thinking it's going to totally work out. When it doesn't they'll say staff doesn't have enough Facebook friends or isn't checking-in enough and impose mandatory check-ins. Anyone who doesn't do this enough will magically be let go for something unrelated. Never tell your boss how we all see poo poo like this on Facebook all the time and everyone ignores it.

The next step is Yelp. The owners spend weeks trying to think up how to increase business and eventually a light comes on over their heads and they think of a plan to get customers to write a positive Yelp review for a free drink. They think they're the first to come up with this idea. Transient customers don't want to be bothered and eventually the staff runs out of regulars to beg into writing reviews. Staff will even go so far as to get on a customers phone and create a Yelp account for them. Eventually staff gets tired of being desperate and just starts creating multiple Yelp accounts and creates glowing reviews about themselves, meanwhile some customer writes one star reviews because a server is "rude" for having the audacity to charge them for guacamole or something.

After that the Hot Girl plan goes into effect. They hire some hot girls, put them in a corset and some fishnets and throw them out there. Male staff is moved to graveyard shift because all owners think the girls will get robbed or assaulted after 2am. If the owner is unlucky, the girls won't know what they're doing, text all day at work, and ignore customers because they'll just get tips for being hot. If they're lucky the girls will be decent bartenders or servers. If they're really lucky they'll get a smart girl who can convincingly flirt with everyone, and some will go so far as to hold text conversations or go on a date or two (no sex) with the customers and basically establish a constant stable of people they friendzoned who totally think they're going to bang the bartender. But they don't last long because they're smart opportunists and will eventually go work a a nightclub or pool and make $500-1000 a day while trying to avoid sexual harassment from GMs, or they will date a rich guy that takes care of them, or get certified in nursing or radiology and go do that.

The last step is hiring staff that convinces them they have a built-in "following" that will follow them around to this bar if they are hired. Everyone says they can do this and no one can. Their regulars from one side of town aren't going to drive 45 minutes out of their way to be regulars at a new bar because Joe the Cool Guy Bartender works there now. So you just get hired and hope you become well enough friends with the owner or GM to not get fired. So then owners tell staff they need to "promote more" so you see all these service industry people go to all the local bars in the area, buy a drink, tip like fifteen bucks and then be like "Hey bartender, come visit at me at the bar I work at." It doesn't really work unless you're good at making friends with other bartenders or you tip them like $100 for one drink a few times so they really feel obligated. If you're good at this you can get a decent group of service industry people to come see you after there shifts are over. Then they all get fired after some bi-yearly bar staff cleansing and you have to find new regulars all over again.

Basically if you work in a local bar, you can expect the owner to demand that staff become 100% responsible for getting people in the door.

Jesus loving Christ gently caress stupid bar business models and desperate, delusional idiots who pay chicks just to exist and scheming Cool Guys and especially bar owners who don't realize opening a bar is a statistical nightmare.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Wicker Man posted:

This is Austin, every radio station has zany morning hosts. I know because when I leave in the morning from my night shift, I gotta hear them chatter about poo poo while I drive home being half asleep at the wheel.

90.5 is probably the only decent FM station in Austin

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

Jesus loving Christ gently caress stupid bar business models and desperate, delusional idiots who pay chicks just to exist and scheming Cool Guys and especially bar owners who don't realize opening a bar is a statistical nightmare.

Give away free booze to everyone and call yourself a nonprofit. Problem solved.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
Thanks to my preference for classical music, radio is commercial free listening using a patronage model and a wide variety that provides a nice way of discovering new pieces. So just get a better taste in music goons and your radio problems will be solved.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I listened to a CBC "As It Happens" interview with host Carol Off and the Turkish ambassador. This was back when they were killing protesters over that park or whatever a few years ago, and Carol Off called the ambassador a liar and hung up on him, saying there was no point in continuing the interview if he was just going to respond with government lies/ propaganda to everything she asked.

CBC Radio is awesome, I cannot imagine any other news source doing that.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The local eternally-struggling volunteer hippie station here airs Democracy Now and it's great when the interview subjects who often aren't seasoned bullshit artists will be audibly confused and offended by the leading questions the hosts ask.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Navin Johnson posted:

Hers is a low grade LG I believe. Same with the dishwasher. Both needed major service in under a year.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Professor Shark posted:

I listened to a CBC "As It Happens" interview with host Carol Off and the Turkish ambassador. This was back when they were killing protesters over that park or whatever a few years ago, and Carol Off called the ambassador a liar and hung up on him, saying there was no point in continuing the interview if he was just going to respond with government lies/ propaganda to everything she asked.

This owns.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

Hers is a low grade LG I believe. Same with the dishwasher. Both needed major service in under a year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_label

Company A making products for and to be sold under the name of company B is a really common thing in virtually every product and component market.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Professor Shark posted:

I get the CBC for ~an hour here every night on MPR and I really enjoy it. :) Carol Off is good (is the show "as it happens"?)

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
It is indeed "As it Happens" and Carol Off is great. It's so funny to watch American news that bills itself as "tough but fair, asking hard hitting questions" softball every interview and then listen to Carol Off give zero fucks while doing an interview.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

1500quidporsche posted:

It is indeed "As it Happens" and Carol Off is great. It's so funny to watch American news that bills itself as "tough but fair, asking hard hitting questions" softball every interview and then listen to Carol Off give zero fucks while doing an interview.

Carol Off and Rosemary Barton should just team up and completely revitalize the CBC.

Peter Mansbridge can hang out too, he's a cool dude.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

1500quidporsche posted:

:) they used to play it at 10/11 here (can't remember now) and it was pretty much the best way to relax when I was working evening shift...

red19fire
May 26, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_label

Company A making products for and to be sold under the name of company B is a really common thing in virtually every product and component market.

This is happening to a high end camera company called Leica, and their flame out is pretty great to watch.

Leica originally built their reputation on handmaking some of best cameras ever, used for some of the most iconic photographs ever. Those pictures of the beach on D-Day were taken by Leicas, for example.

Fast forward to the modern era, and they are essentially a luxury brand used mostly by dentists to photograph their cats. So what's a hundred year old, reputable company to do? Rebadge Panasonic cameras to add a 'luxury' flair, and add the name to a Chinese cell phone.

red19fire has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Mar 3, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

red19fire posted:

This is happening to a high end camera company called Leica, and their flame out is pretty great to watch.

Leica originally built their reputation on handmaking some of best cameras ever, used for some of the most iconic photographs ever. Those pictures of the beach on D-Day were taken by Leicas, for example.

Fast forward to the modern era, and they are essentially a luxury brand used mostly by dentists to photograph their cats. So what's a hundred year old, reputable company to do? Rebadge Panasonic cameras to add a 'luxury' flair, and add the name to a Chinese cell phone.

gently caress, that's painful. Leica had one hell of a good name, too.

Darth123123 posted:

But kenmore is whirlpool ?

In case it isn't clear by now, Kenmore is a huge variety of brands all private labelled by Sears. I use them sometimes because they have a good distribution network in Canada and can ship to the middle of nowhere.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm still mad that they remixed the opening theme for As It Happens.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
IBM is laying off a third of their US employees. However it seems that the jobs are just going to Indian and the Philippines.

As someone who has worked in IT for 20 years I hate IBM contractors.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

red19fire posted:

I'm not surprised. How could they match the R&D and production scale of the larger Japanese concerns once things went digital? You can't just make CCDs in house the same way you grind lenses or stamp bodies. I would assume Leica sources good components, but I am not shocked they have to buy the camera guts from someone else.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

David Corbett posted:

In case it isn't clear by now, Kenmore is a huge variety of brands all private labelled by Sears. I use them sometimes because they have a good distribution network in Canada and can ship to the middle of nowhere.

Are they a Polaroid type thing? I've seen tvs with that branding. I remember my fridge from the 80s being a Kenmore 'beige'

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bonzo posted:

IBM is laying off a third of their US employees. However it seems that the jobs are just going to Indian and the Philippines.

As someone who has worked in IT for 20 years I hate IBM contractors.

I interned at IBM in Vermont many years ago. Even back then all of the engineers knew that their future was bad. The main conversation was guessing when they were going to get laid off.

Now they are! And there are tons of old engineers looking for jobs who are useless out of the IBM context in which they've existed for decades.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
seriously though can someone explain how Sears still exists? i havent been in one in at least 10 years and its at my local mall

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

BigBoss posted:

I'm not surprised. How could they match the R&D and production scale of the larger Japanese concerns once things went digital? You can't just make CCDs in house the same way you grind lenses or stamp bodies. I would assume Leica sources good components, but I am not shocked they have to buy the camera guts from someone else.

I worked in a camera shop (another company now circling the drain) back when the digital camera thing was taking off in a huge way. Both Panasonic and Sony realized that the only way they were going to compete against Canon and Nikon was to license a prestige lensmaker to slap their name on their cameras. Panasonic got Leica and Sony got Zeiss. Leica was making rumblings that this was just a stepping point to a comeback then but it was pretty clear they were never going to be able to compete in that market on their own. I'm shocked Panasonic didn't buy them outright at this point, or atleast their lens division.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

KiteAuraan posted:

I actually know quite a bit about appliances. I worked in appliances at the Home Scampot back in the mid OOs. That was when LG first came out. We used to get quite a few LG fridges back within a week or two of delivery from random and mysterious leaks. I also worked for a bag packer manufacturer in the 90s. We were trying to sell some to Lucky Goldstar and one of their reps came over from Korea. I still have his business card.

Lucky Goldstar = LG. Remember Goldstar VCRs and TVs and poo poo? Same loving company. Worst electronics ever. Do NOT purchase Korean appliances. Overpriced pieces of poo poo..............

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The brief one day I worked at The Brick I was accosted by the LG sales rep, despite just wanting to look at what the gently caress I was supposed to be selling he insisted I waste loving 45 minutes going through one LG fridge model in detail. The thing seriously looked like you could break the side shelfs if you closed it to fast.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Navin Johnson posted:

Lucky Goldstar = LG. Remember Goldstar VCRs and TVs and poo poo? Same loving company. Worst electronics ever. Do NOT purchase Korean appliances. Overpriced pieces of poo poo..............

Things change. Once their cars were pretty crap too and now they are fine.
Philips once made pretty good tv's and are now a badge for cheap chinese crap. So it goes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chinatown posted:

seriously though can someone explain how Sears still exists? i havent been in one in at least 10 years and its at my local mall

The general consensus is that them holding on through 2014-2015 was something of a miracle, but they're not going to be holding on much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

NihilismNow posted:

Things change. Once their cars were pretty crap too and now they are fine.

I dunno about what their cars now specifically are like but I generally won't buy a Korean car. A little part made by Bosch called an idle air valve broke on my VW Scirocco a while back. VW and Audi stopped using the part in 1990 and it was only used on a few models so it largely seemed like I was screwed, that was until a search using the Bosch parts number revealed that the exact same part was used by Hyundai/Kia starting in 1999.

Now the part in question is fairly generic and something you could use out of a parts bin. But I do question Hyundai's design process when a part wasn't used by any manufacturer for close to a decade, Hyundai had no real tie to Bosch at that point, and then that part suddenly appears on their cars. Seems a little too much like they went door knocking to find the cheapest price possible.