Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Badlands is terrific-looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The visuals in Badlands are great, it just has more of a plot than something like Days of Heaven.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well then I can't wait for it to get here!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I ended up ordering The Kid, Speedy, and The Freshman. Now I own all of Criterion's silent releases on Blu-Ray.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

caved and grabbed Death by Hanging, The Graduate, and On The Waterfront

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

There's so much in the collection that its really hard to control myself during these sales. I kinda want everything, although I try to stay away from blind-buys.

Well I broke that rule this time and grabbed Badlands and My Darling Clementine blind, but I love Ford and Malick so I really don't see it as much of a risk. It will be very interesting, having seen fully formed Malick, to go back and see his first feature.

a sale is pretty much the only time i would advocate buying the my darling clementine criterion. their encode is good and its got some great special features (especially the tag gallagher video essay) but the ford at fox box set that has like 25 movies in it includes it and sells for like $60 on amazon.

great movie but i think i'd be hard pressed to put it in my top 10 fords, definitely top 15 though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
drat my wallet

Moonrise Kingdom
Watership Down
Odd Man Out
Ministry of Fear
The Killers
Limelight
Monsieur Verdoux
The Gold Rush
The Killing

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radio Spiricom posted:

a sale is pretty much the only time i would advocate buying the my darling clementine criterion. their encode is good and its got some great special features (especially the tag gallagher video essay) but the ford at fox box set that has like 25 movies in it includes it and sells for like $60 on amazon.

That set is DVD only though, I can't have it sullying the rest of my collection.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How is that double feature set of those Jack Nicholson westerns? They seem interesting.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
How long has (will) Chungking Express been out of print for? :(

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Rooney McNibnug posted:

How long has (will) Chungking Express been out of print for? :(

since 2012/2013. miramax/rolling thunder distribute it and licensed it to criterion for that release. idk if/when it will get reprinted but i can't imagine it'll be too long before they do it since it's such a major film

pierrot le fou and marienbad went oop around the same time. i think rialto is working on a release of pierrot though, there was a new 4k restoration that played for a week or so at film forum back in december

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wish Criterion would get The Grandmaster, so I can see the uncut version. And while I'm wishing, a release of Hero that isn't disappointing. What a shame for such a visually vibrant film.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Based on the latest Criterion email, I assume they are putting out a "Doctor Strangelove"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zandert33 posted:

Based on the latest Criterion email, I assume they are putting out a "Doctor Strangelove"

It will be Waterworld

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
"Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How are they going to top the Warner disc in extras or audio/video?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Pie fight?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They should release fail safe instead.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Jack Gladney posted:

How are they going to top the Warner disc in extras or audio/video?
There was a 4K scan that debuted last year, so they'll have a new transfer to tout. Also the DVD and Blu-Ray releases for some reason left off the amazing trailer by Pablo Ferro. Criterion's laserdisc had some nutty short films on it like "Duck and Cover" and "My Teenage Fallout Queen", which would be great to have paired with "Strangelove" again.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Sony Blu-Ray used the 4K restoration. It also had a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 remix as well as the original mono. I wouldn't expect Criterion to bother with the remix.

However, pretty much all the extras were from the 2001 DVD edition except for the Robert McNamara interview, which was added to the 2004 2-disc edition. The DVD editions had advertising galleries, including the original trailer. The Criterion laserdisc only had the trailer, but added the cold war shorts. The laserdisc and the later Sony first and second (2001) editions used a transfer actually supervised by Kubrick.

I'd expect the main pulls for Criterion would be multiple aspect ratios (theatrical was 1.85:1) and new interviews. Perhaps they can get James Earl Jones since this was one of his first film roles.

Plus, Sony apparently remastered the trailer in HD since it's on their YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98NaJ8ss4sY

And there's a 17 minute exhibitor's reel out there that has alternate takes and edits of the film with narration by Kubrick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6OoWeHrWPg

Maybe they'll get the pie fight from MoMA since that would be enough to get everyone to ditch the Sony edition.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 27, 2016

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Got my movies today. I assumed the Hitchcock Collection was going to be similar to the David Lean Directs Noel Coward box set, in that the features would be in paper sleeves. But no, this is actually the 4 movies as you would have bought them individually, just bundled together. I have been eyeing the Hitchcock movies for a while, so I am probably too excited about getting them in a set for under $40 (during the flash sale).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Criterion is also working on Blood Simple, Multiple Maniacs/Pink Flamingos, and Here Comes Mr. Jordan.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Any word on which cut of Blood Simple it will be?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

If you have a Costco nearby, might want to check out their DVD/Blu-ray section. I picked up Eraserhead there for $20 this weekend, and they also had Slacker and a couple older classic Criterions whose names escape me at the moment.

Costco always seems like a tossup as to what's actually in stock on a store-by-store level though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
In case there was any doubt remaining, Chimes at Midnight is an upcoming Criterion release. Saw it at the Wexner Center at Ohio State today and the program director announced it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Cloks posted:

In case there was any doubt remaining, Chimes at Midnight is an upcoming Criterion release. Saw it at the Wexner Center at Ohio State today and the program director announced it.

It's coming to a theater near me in Atlanta in a few months and I can't go. So bummed out, but I'm glad to hear they'll be releasing it for real.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Raxivace posted:

Any word on which cut of Blood Simple it will be?

I think I only ever saw the original on TV years ago, but whatever they decide I hope they keep the bizarre joke anti-commentary that was on the DVD.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

On a related note am I the only usually not into director commentaries? I usually would rather hear a critic or historian or hell even a different director talk about a movie than the people that actually made it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Raxivace posted:

On a related note am I the only usually not into director commentaries? I usually would rather hear a critic or historian or hell even a different director talk about a movie than the people that actually made it.

I'm into them if it's Herzog or movies with tons of special effects/crazy settings because you usually get a lot of great stories but in general no.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Sometimes when it's a director that's a good storyteller. I've found commentaries by Francis Ford Coppola, Terry Gilliam, and Roger Corman to be entertaining.

Also, any John Carpenter/Kurt Russell commentary. Half of Big Trouble in Little China's track is them just talking about stuff and it's great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the Zatoichi and BBS sets aren't going OOP after all. They're between pressings according to an email customers got after the flash sale. They oversold the sets, but note that the next pressing is coming in a few months.

Also, the new Blus for The Kid and Speedy look incredible. The Kid literally looks like a brand new movie. Speedy looks almost as good, if just a little softer. The Kid has some terrific supplements, including the complete deleted footage from the 1921 cut - the actual scenes, intertitles, and opening/closing credits - are included as an extra in full 1080p.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 2, 2016

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
That's cool. I was hoping to grab the Zatoichi set as soon as I wasn't a temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raxivace posted:

It really depends on the director. One of my favorite commentaries I listened to was actually rob zombie on devils rejects. Where sometimes even a movie I absolutely adore I won't care about the commentary at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If I got a Hidden Fortress combo blu/dvd off amazon that's been backordered for months, should I expect that it will just get cancelled because criterion quit doing those combo releases?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Criterion is also working on Multiple Maniacs/Pink Flamingos
Thank the trash gods! Maybe this means we'll eventually get Female Trouble and Desperate Living.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Not a Criterion anymore, but I saw a movie preview for the new 4K restoration of Ran and it looks fantastic. I really hope Studiocanal doesn't gently caress up whatever blu-ray they make of it. Would be even better if Criterion could get the rights back. Not complaining though since my DVD of it is worth about a hundred bucks right now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I finally watched the Great Dictator. I can not believe how amazing it looks and sound. What a majestic piece of cinema.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

I finally watched the Great Dictator. I can not believe how amazing it looks and sound. What a majestic piece of cinema.
The speech at the end is so drat good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

Not a Criterion anymore, but I saw a movie preview for the new 4K restoration of Ran and it looks fantastic. I really hope Studiocanal doesn't gently caress up whatever blu-ray they make of it. Would be even better if Criterion could get the rights back. Not complaining though since my DVD of it is worth about a hundred bucks right now.

Oh poo poo, this is awesome news. I've had the previous blu ray release for a while now, and I've watched it several times already, so I have no problem at all paying for an upgrade. I think its the best looking film Kurosawa ever made, I wish he had done more work with color in his career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Raxivace posted:

The speech at the end is so drat good.

The speech, the petty fight between the dictators, the physical comedy (the coin scene along with others), and the ballet with the globe. So so good