Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Non-prerelease TR and the division are looking pretty solid for amd, and of course in Ashes the 390x is halfway from the 970 to the 980 Ti. It's also delivering good performance in clear goty Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 (which is actually a frostbite engine game :psyduck:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I'm sorry I triggered that guy for re-using the word "destroy", I should have said "performs better than"

Which it should do, it's about $100 more expensive and it's not going to win any price/performance award.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Didn't mean to start trouble. I got the MSI 970 which isn't aftermarket but it's 280 on Newegg after rebate and comes with the Division. Like I said this is just a stopgap until Pascal comes out proper. Thanks again for the help.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

But im just clicking around. I'm sure a specific test is out there to show what you guys mean.
this is going largely by forum posts, but over the past few months people found that the low overvolts for 970/980s are not very stable for very long, so they go for more stable "hotter" overvolts pushing their effective draw from the card to to 270-300w (hello hawaii) and this is less so the case for big maxwell, which seems fine at modest overvolts. ymmv though, this is silicon lottery stuff

overclocking the 950/960 is however always a total shitshow and is probably why GM206 doesn't appear in mobile at all when GM204 mobile can use 2/3 of the power while at the same cuda/tmu/rop configuration :banjo:

and on the very last chart the fury x has substantially less perf/watt than the 980ti which is part of what I meant

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 29, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

snuff posted:

I'm sorry I triggered that guy for re-using the word "destroy", I should have said "performs better than"

Which it should do, it's about $100 more expensive and it's not going to win any price/performance award.

Sorry for making a MLG benchmark compilation I felt pretty dumb about that. But for the record I was triggered by "not going to google it". Back to a more civil discussion, I disagree that it performs better than at all. It performs equal to (as it is a straight 290x rebrand). The only clear runaway moments were in 4k.

I would go so far as to say that the average aftermarket 970 compared to the average aftermarket 390x is the closest comparison out of the lineup between both brands.

But of course benchmarks are all over the place due to everything I mentioned above.

Blacktoll posted:

Didn't mean to start trouble. I got the MSI 970 which isn't aftermarket but it's 280 on Newegg after rebate and comes with the Division. Like I said this is just a stopgap until Pascal comes out proper. Thanks again for the help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127833&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-833-_-Product

If you mean that its still aftermarket its just not their "gaming". If you choose to I'm sure it will OC just like the rest of them.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 29, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

My bad that was a typo. Yeah, I'll have to play with it and do some overclocking myself. Does MSI have a tool for doing so or is there something better out there?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Blacktoll posted:

My bad that was a typo. Yeah, I'll have to play with it and do some overclocking myself. Does MSI have a tool for doing so or is there something better out there?

MSI Afterburner is what you want to use

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If you just want VR-ready price/performance then the MSI/Asus/Gigbyte customer-cooler 290(x) on eBay is going to get you the most FPS for the money, being acquired pretty easily for $200-$220.

If you were going to actually drop money for The Division, then sure, pretend the GTX 970 is $40 less than it is, as that's what the Division codes are going for on eBay right now. That plus a fresh 3-year warranty (as opposed to the used 290's which would have about a year left) and it could be considered the better deal.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Thank you for the input, gents. I have zero interest in VR and prefer Nvidia for driver support and shadowplay, so I went with the MSI 970 and I'm looking forward to playing with the overclock and I was going to purchase the division anyway, which save me 40 to 60 bucks too.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So uh, I've had my 290X flip out on me the last couple of days by freezing, dropping me to desktop from whatever I am playing, then going back to a black fullscreen, which I then must alt-tab out of and then back into. Wondering if this is a driver issue, cable issue or something with the GPU itself. Wonder if XFX even has a 290X to replace what I have if I RMA.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

So uh, I've had my 290X flip out on me the last couple of days by freezing, dropping me to desktop from whatever I am playing, then going back to a black fullscreen, which I then must alt-tab out of and then back into. Wondering if this is a driver issue, cable issue or something with the GPU itself. Wonder if XFX even has a 290X to replace what I have if I RMA.

If the card is bad, you usually get an upgrade to a card of equal or greater performance. Though companies keep spares on hand for just such an occasion.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

Latest drivers are fine with my 290. If its a bad card XFX will usually RMA it with a better one if they don't have a direct replacement on hand.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alright. AMD's cooking something, and I don't know what. I do know that is a Razer Core, though.

https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/704385232489742336

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 1, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alright. AMD's cooking something, and I don't know what. I do know that is a Razer Core, though.

https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/704385232489742336

Much like FreeSync, I think they're trying to tape together some technologies that already exist and make it a standard.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It's supposed to be a universal eGPU system that requires a minimum of changes for adoption if at all. So is AMD suggesting Thunderbolt 3 support on all their OEM mobile products? Honestly, it'd be kind of hilarious to have a compatible smartphone product that'd hook up to a Razor Core, but they're probably just talking ultrabooks and laptops.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Maybe the Thunderbolt competitor they announced 2 years ago then never mentioned again is coming back?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7755/amds-dockport-given-virtual-overview

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

This is AMD, so it's more likely they want the interfaces/whatever on using external GPUs through Thunderbolt 3 or whatever to be standardized instead of having a half-dozen different implementations over devices.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rastor posted:

Much like FreeSync, I think they're trying to tape together some technologies that already exist and make it a standard.

Is getting proper plug and play support still a problem that hasn't been solved?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

xthetenth posted:

Is getting proper plug and play support still a problem that hasn't been solved?

Plug and play support... for a GPU? Yes, I imagine there may be some problems to solve with that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This is AMD, so it's more likely they want nobody to buy it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol is nvidia at it again?
http://m.hardocp.com/article/2015/05/26/grand_theft_auto_v_image_quality_comparison_part_5/4
see:

"our soft shadow solution is literally to use a 50x50 resolution shadow and blur it as gently caress! Yes, we do get higher FPS in GTA 5, why would you ask??"

At least it doesn't have a glitch like the radeon one! :v:

e: Wait this is old as hell and probably fixed never mind.

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 1, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Truga posted:

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2015/05/26/grand_theft_auto_v_image_quality_comparison_part_5/4
see:

"our soft shadow solution is literally to use a 50x50 resolution shadow and blur it as gently caress! Yes, we do get higher FPS in GTA 5, why would you ask??"

But it looks the realest :(

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Truga posted:

see:

http://http.download.nvidia.com/developer/presentations/2005/SIGGRAPH/Percentage_Closer_Soft_Shadows.pdf

the theory is sounds. shadows aren't actually super hard in real life

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, but there's soft shadows and then there's "let's just make it super low resolution". Anyway, here's a better example:

The jaggies are super obvious.

I noticed this in the DCS 1.5 version and I thought it was due to lovely dx11 shadow implementation or something, but now I'm not sure anymore. Will have to check it out, if I can get DCS 1.5 but with old shadows it's going to be glorious.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I can't find any reference to DCS using NVs PCSS/ShadowWorks :confused:

Do you think this is being forced by the driver or something? It's middleware.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I thought it was a driver setting, but there is none and no matter what I do with the ingame settings jaggies stay. Guess it's just a thing with the dx11 version of DCS... The shadows are jaggy and they constantly move around just by zooming in/out. They didn't do that on the old client (but it performed like poo poo so I wouldn't want to use it anyway).

Too bad, I hoped I'd be able to fix that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

Maybe the Thunderbolt competitor they announced 2 years ago then never mentioned again is coming back?

Oh poo poo, I'd forgotten about Dockport. Although, hm. I wonder if it isn't redundant now, since VESA just ratified DP1.4, which added better video stream compression, so *theoretically* you could just use a single Thunderbolt cable for both output and input from your notebook? At least, I'd like that very much.

http://www.vesa.org/featured-articles/vesa-publishes-displayport-standard-version-1-4/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 2, 2016

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I recently bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC and I had to check for a power connector slot to hook it up to my PSU, I checked my card and couldn't find a power slot anywhere, other than the DVI and HDMI slots.

I'm just curious, do GTX 750 Ti SC cards don't need additional power or they do?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Some 750ti models are bus powered, believe it or not.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just USB 3.1 nowadays.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Junior Jr. posted:

I recently bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC and I had to check for a power connector slot to hook it up to my PSU, I checked my card and couldn't find a power slot anywhere, other than the DVI and HDMI slots.

I'm just curious, do GTX 750 Ti SC cards don't need additional power or they do?

Some do, some don't. The ones that have aux pins likely do - I think I remember that my EVGA FTW 750 Ti wouldn't power up without a connector, but that's marketed as a high-end gaming version of that chip. Others don't.

You can get a Molex->6pin adapter if you need.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 2, 2016

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Okay, so I just found out if a graphics card runs at 60-watts, it doesn't need additional power. That's great to know, I didn't know the GTX 750 Ti was THAT good.

Say, are there any new NVIDIA or Radeon cards that are bus powered too?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I actually didn't know any 750tis were bus powered.

As far as I know there is nothing better than those though. Perhaps 14nm will bring more

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Junior Jr. posted:

Stay tuned. Polaris and Pascal are both likely to have major performance/watt improvements.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rastor posted:

Plug and play support... for a GPU? Yes, I imagine there may be some problems to solve with that.

It's understood how to hot-plug CPUs and RAM, what are the outstanding issues for GPUs?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Junior Jr. posted:

Okay, so I just found out if a graphics card runs at 60-watts, it doesn't need additional power. That's great to know, I didn't know the GTX 750 Ti was THAT good.

Not right now, no. Even the 950 needs an AUX supply. The 750 Ti is currently the apex of bus-powered cards.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

It's understood how to hot-plug CPUs and RAM, what are the outstanding issues for GPUs?

Plug and play, not hot-plugging.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I don't know why I am attracted to bus powered cards but I am.

Can't wait till Pascal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kramjacks posted:

Plug and play, not hot-plugging.

Hot plug seems like a superset of plug-and-play, no? I had a laptop with external GPU and I could just plug it in, didn't have to reboot or anything.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by it. What's the hard part of "plug and play" for GPUs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Hot plug seems like a superset of plug-and-play, no? I had a laptop with external GPU and I could just plug it in, didn't have to reboot or anything.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by it. What's the hard part of "plug and play" for GPUs?

I'm not the person you originally replied to, but I assume drivers. Like I can buy and LCD monitor, plug it into my computer and it works perfect, full features, no driver installation. For a GPU, I plug it in, and get very basic functionality until I install the drivers specific to the card.

Edit: Unless external GPUs do just use generic display drivers already present in the OS?

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 2, 2016