Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Astrofig posted:

I kind of got the impression that he didn't do it himself----that it was more like they were forcibly removed as part of his punishment (hence, presumably, those nasty scars.) I do hope we get to see him with them on at least once though, if only for Chloe's 'oh loving poo poo he may be an actual angel what the christing shitfuck!111' expression.

counterfeitsaint posted:

He specifically said he had his sex demon cut them off when he left hell, which seems odd since losing wings is typically associated with the fall of an angel, and that means he was in hell for eons with this shiny, sexy things on his back. I'd like to see him with his feathery glowing white wings and scary demon face together. Maybe they look like leather scary wings when the rest of him looks like a demon though.

Nah, he said he had Maz cut em off, but didn't specify when. I'm guessing it was when he was first cast down and pissed off about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hmm, this was pretty good but I still want an episode where Lucifer uses his demonic powers to perform sick dunks.

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009
Best episode so far. Seems like it doesn't want to be Buffy, it wants to be True Blood. Perhaps they did some retakes/re-edits to add more flair? I also thought the "scary face" was more convincing. The cover of sinner man and the final shot of the wings were beautiful. 6 Seasons 'till I get bored of this.

- What can I get ya?
- Yes. I'll have two tropic wonders... and your face smashed into the ground.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Titan posted:

I could buy this if they ever said that Luci was an Archangel or really any one of the other familiar higher Angels (Seraph or Seraphim) and Amenadiel is just a common Angel.

Since Luci used to be Gods favorite son, it would make sense that he has the prettiest wings ever though.

Lucifer is an archangel in the Bible. Described as being the most glorious and beautiful since he was intended to forever be in the throne room and needed to be perfect next to the perfection of God.

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009
Camera work & Effects:

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
The times where he is the most intimidating IMO are when he just lets his eyes turn. Combined with the barely restrained anger the subtle eye shift just comes across as more terrifying. The quick flash of his warped face adds a little flair but I'm glad they don't ever show him in that form for longer than a split second.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They added an extra flash effect this time, which us the first time his demon face didn't look goofy and lame as gently caress.

I really like how he often grins like an idiot while he's hunting people down. That in itself comes off as pretty scary.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astrofig posted:

Of course he can sing. Of course he can.

And then some... that was a belter!

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

drainpipe posted:

That was a legit good episode and not just trashy good. Pretty excited if it can maintain this level. And I don't mind the procedural elements too much as long as there is some good overarching storyline happening in the background (and taking center stage every few episodes). iZombie is a great example of how you can have both.

It had some good Luci lines, dramatic character development, a supernatural reveal, and chocolate cake. Hit all the notes.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Snak posted:

I really like how he often grins like an idiot while he's hunting people down. That in itself comes off as pretty scary.

The grin and facial expressions he has really sell it for me. He just looks mischievous when he grins.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

So, I've caught up on this thing ( finally ).

First off... I am a huge, huge fan of the comics. I love them dearly. And so, when I heard about this show, I was very, very dubious about the whole thing, because how the hell do you translate the arc of the comics to the tv-series format? It's just not really possible.

Which is why I absolutely love this show; They knew that it was impossible to translate the comics accurately or do them justice, so they didn't even bother trying. Instead, they did the smart thing and kept the characters true to themselves, toned the scope of the show way, way down, and seem to be exploring many of the same themes as the comics did, but through a different lens, a narrower cast, and with more personal stakes.

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005
I really like the little things in this show, like how the biker dude struggles with the steel drum and Lucifer just whacks the door open.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

bio347 posted:

In the comics, (well, in Sandman - Lucifer itself starts after Dream cuts his wings off) he did have bat wings in Hell. At some point his actual feathery angelic wings had ended up elsewhere and I don't exactly remember how that all worked. Been a while since I've read 'em.

Skipping over the whole 'where did his wings end up and how did they get there' part, the comics, at least, explained it as partly due to Lucifer's own rejection of his 'banishment' to Hell, and partly due to the wings being separated/cut off of Lucifer's back. By the time he reclaimed them in the comic, they'd been restored to their former, angelic appearance, rather than the bat-wings he was sporting as the Prince of Hell.

So, yeah, seeing the sparkling white angelic wings were a nice little continuity-nod to the comics.

edit: As was the whole scene with his therapist at the end, now that I think about it, though it was a nod to Sandman, rather than Lucifer. And Ellis delivered it pitch perfect, I thought.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 2, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When I ran out of Lucifer to watch, I finally went and checked out iZombie. While it's got a slightly lighter tone, it's really great, and I would urge anyone who likes this genre and hasn't checked it out yet to give it a shot. I was really, really resistant to the idea due to the marketing and my preconceptions about it, but I'm 6 episodes in and loving it. I just thought I would bring it up here since we are still several days left before we can get our Luci fix again.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Digital Jedi posted:

The grin and facial expressions he has really sell it for me. He just looks mischievous when he grins.

It's something I think only really works because we, as the audience, get to see Lucifer both when he's being the mischievious trickster as well as when he's in full-on punishment mode.

Normally he has that big grin, but he also has this care-free, almost goofy affect to him. It's juuust shallow enough for other characters to suspect it's a facade, but then...

When he's truly got his ire up and is gonna gently caress up a fool, he uses the same grin. It's just his eyes that change, all the goofyness is gone, they're just flat and deadly. Not to even get into the demonic flashes bit. Lucifer when mad is scary because he uses the same goddamned face he does when he's joking around with you, and it's unnerving as hell.

The casting for Lucifer is freaking perfect.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
What i really want from the show is a short trip to hell. Or at least some demons showing up, since in the comic, they want Lucifer back in hell, too?

Also, for scenes from comics, the one with him, the dad with the dying son and the sunset would work great, even in the show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

e X posted:

What i really want from the show is a short trip to hell. Or at least some demons showing up, since in the comic, they want Lucifer back in hell, too?

I don't doubt that will be something they'll focus on in the future, if given the chance.

Also, based on the episode titles He finds out about the therapist betraying him, and we might see God or a surrogate show up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I generally like it best when God never shows up at all in these types of things, but w/e.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope god alternates between Alanis Morissette and Morgan Freeman between shots, and it's never acknowledged.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope god alternates between Alanis Morissette and Morgan Freeman between shots, and it's never acknowledged.

Don't forget about Rob Benedict.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Better yet, it's just Alanis Morissette with Morgan Freeman's voice.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Don't forget about Rob Benedict.

Bah, you people need to get with the original God: George Burns.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Etalommi posted:

They didn't spend that much time on the procedural part in this episode imo. It wasn't the focus, but rather mainly a backdrop for Lucifer and Decker. Compare it to something like Castle, where the mystery is the emphasis. I feel like it's moving away from procedural at a sort of similar clip as Justified.

Called it.

Snak posted:

When I ran out of Lucifer to watch, I finally went and checked out iZombie. While it's got a slightly lighter tone, it's really great, and I would urge anyone who likes this genre and hasn't checked it out yet to give it a shot. I was really, really resistant to the idea due to the marketing and my preconceptions about it, but I'm 6 episodes in and loving it. I just thought I would bring it up here since we are still several days left before we can get our Luci fix again.

iZombie is on break right now, but yeah, it's amazing. Really, really well cast and acted, tons of small brilliant moments, good plot and story arcs, and a ton of snark. Much as I like the style of Lucifer, it's not as good a show. I did find the start of season 2 a bit weak, but it found it's legs again pretty fast and I'd say that most of the best episodes are fairly recent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bio347 posted:

In the comics, (well, in Sandman - Lucifer itself starts after Dream cuts his wings off) he did have bat wings in Hell. At some point his actual feathery angelic wings had ended up elsewhere and I don't exactly remember how that all worked. Been a while since I've read 'em.

What happened in the comic is that he originally had bat wings in hell, cut them off and then in between cutting them off and getting them back they turned back into angel wings.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Titan posted:

The times where he is the most intimidating IMO are when he just lets his eyes turn. Combined with the barely restrained anger the subtle eye shift just comes across as more terrifying. The quick flash of his warped face adds a little flair but I'm glad they don't ever show him in that form for longer than a split second.

I think the best parts are when he's legitimately scared or surprised. When Chloe touches the scars on his back, when the therapist hits a nerve, etc. it feels like we get a glimpse of the real guy buried in there beneath the theatrics.

Not a terrible show so far, but really not super. It's the little things that are keeping me watching like the moments I mentioned above or the ex not being a cardboard cutout. Really hope they stay away from a will they won't they thing and also stray from the procedural format as well as Limitless has managed to. (seriously, whoever gave up on it after the first few, give it another shot).

Normally I've got a bit of a problem with police abuse/overreach in procedurals, but this is the literal devil, so can I really complain?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

TLM3101 posted:

edit: As was the whole scene with his therapist at the end, now that I think about it, though it was a nod to Sandman, rather than Lucifer. And Ellis delivered it pitch perfect, I thought.
The therapist is my favourite character right now. On one hand, she's not plot-immune to Lucifer's charms, and on the other, she can still get to him. I wish someone like she were the female lead, not the detective.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

meristem posted:

The therapist is my favourite character right now. On one hand, she's not plot-immune to Lucifer's charms, and on the other, she can still get to him. I wish someone like she were the female lead, not the detective.

I find her to be an idiot. Unless it's common practice for therapists to tell other therapists about their patients.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm sure therapists never vent about their patients to each other.

They're fudging it a bit because it's a TV procedural by having the angel come in directly loving after Lucifer leaves and not having the therapist make at least a token effort to conceal his identity. But yeah therapists are people who talk shop sometimes.

Someone on another forum was saying how great it is that Lucifer is totally up front with everyone and the angel is the one who is being deceitful and manipulative. Totally didn't really think about it until I read it, but it's super obvious and I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't see it earlier. I've been turning my brain off for this show though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As far as the therapist goes, "consulting" with another therapist doesn't seem like the worst thing, but her shrugging off the whole, 'yeah your walls are thin and I can potentially hear everything you discuss with your patients' thing is actually a huge deal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm perfectly willing to accept that Amenadiel has jedi mind tricks similar to Lucifer

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I take that to be the therapist equivalent of how cops are shown in all these shows, "Well you can come downtown to talk to us or I can let Bruno cave your face in with a tire iron."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

I'm perfectly willing to accept that Amenadiel has jedi mind tricks similar to Lucifer

This is what I was assuming. Presumably Lucifer's charms are what make her completely okay with the conflict of interest and ethics of sleeping with your patient in exchange for treatment. And if that's not the case, well then she already had no ethics and it's not surprising she doesn't give a poo poo about confidentiality.

It would be neat if the show goes on long enough they actually do something with her character starting to realize that things aren't normal, not just with Lucifer, but with her sexual desire for him.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Plus she likes him. Real people do things they know they shouldn't and miss things that they should catch around/about people they have a crush on all the time. It doesn't exactly require a huge amount of suspension of disbelief.

Edit: him being Amenadiel.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 3, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Etalommi posted:

Plus she likes him. Real people do things they know they shouldn't and miss things that they should catch around/about people they have a crush on all the time. It doesn't exactly require a huge amount of suspension of disbelief.

(edit: talking about Lucifer)
Oh I know that, but it's not like they have a healthy relationship. He treats her like poo poo and she can't help but desire him. I feel like at some point she might start to question why she feels this way about him. I don't really have a problem with how things are now, I'm just saying if she's going to stay a character past the first season, I'd like to see them give some depth. They've done a decent job with Chloe and Dan.

edit: Oh. Your comment makes more sense now.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

How's this show doing in the ratings department?

I'm concerned because FOX has a nasty habit of cancelling shows that are anything less then a runaway hit at times. That network makes gently caress Off money moreso than most other networks, so I'm hoping things are panning out ok now that the plot has actually gained some more traction based on the last episode

I don't wanna see it die basically :ohdear:

White Light fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 3, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Parrotine posted:

How's this show doing in the ratings department?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/03/01/fox-renewcancel-standings-week-23-the-last-man-on-earth-looks-a-little-better-now/

Looks like Lucifer is one of Fox's stronger scripted shows and they think it is probable for renewal

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

oh praise Satan

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It might depend, we'll have to see next Monday cause it doesn't have the X-files reboot leading into this one.

On topic though I hope more of the episodes round out to be like this one. iZombie is probably one of the better examples of doing procedural and serial elements with the right ratio. Granted they don't have to do 22 episodes a year so I personally don't mind a few clunkers or just mostly-nothing episodes since Tom Ellis is incredibly fun to watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad they actually went into his "real" name being Samael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Samael is often the angel of Death, so that's kind of interesting.

• Locked thread