Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A lame episode followed by THE BEST EPISODE OF THE SEASON! That was so good. 90s rap battle and Les Miserables in the same episode. And the kiss. No lie; I gasped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That would have been a really great season finale, but I'm glad it wasn't. Darryl and white Josh :unsmith:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey BACK OFF BUDDY he looks like Tom Selleck >:[

Asiina posted:

I love how angry he is.

Can you cap the linked arms+smiling as they walk out of the scene as well? That made me crack up more than anything.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 1, 2016

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Hey BACK OFF BUDDY he looks like Tom Selleck >:[

I love how angry he is.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Someone in the izombie thread said this show was good. I'm liking it. Those ratings numbers are not pretty though. :(

Usually I don't care about ratings at all. But here they really irritate me. I believe it's a great show and I truly love it a lot. But barely anyone seems to agree. A few weeks ago I was certain that those ratings would steadily increase. But that doesn't seem to happen. And so far I couldn't convince anyone to give it a chance either.

Are my opinions valid? Do I just have terrible taste? Am I deluding myself into enjoying it even though it's actually bland and terrible?
I feel like I'm being gaslighted by this show!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I got my coworker to start watching and he and his wife fell completely in love with it, so my work is done.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

Usually I don't care about ratings at all. But here they really irritate me. I believe it's a great show and I truly love it a lot. But barely anyone seems to agree. A few weeks ago I was certain that those ratings would steadily increase. But that doesn't seem to happen. And so far I couldn't convince anyone to give it a chance either.

Are my opinions valid? Do I just have terrible taste? Am I deluding myself into enjoying it even though it's actually bland and terrible?
I feel like I'm being gaslighted by this show!
Ratings and quality often have an inverse relationship, hth

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this show oooooowns

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Spent last week catching up. This show is really like nothing else.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Anyone who likes Rebecca and Josh is actually a dumpster Goblin. He acts like he is eight years old most of the time which makes most of their interactions creepy. Maybe this will line up the finale to be about Greg and Rebecca. Most likely though Rebecca and Josh will act all weird after the kiss and not get together til the finale. Heather's Reprise was great though.

White Josh has the best smile

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Heather and Greg ended with just as much dignity as I'd hoped and the reprise (like all the songs this episode!) was great.

However I find that I don't care quite as much about Rebecca's relationships now that Darryl and White Josh are together :allears: I love the way WJ smiles at him, it seems so open and genuine. And he laughs with Darryl instead of at him, and he thinks he looks like Tom Selleck, and he also clearly thinks his weird accent was adorable. :3: :3: :3:

WJ&D 5eva

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I found it funny that this was the first episode where I actually liked Valencia. She was being honest and not manipulative for once when it was just her and Josh in the apartment for those few moments.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Asiina posted:

I found it funny that this was the first episode where I actually liked Valencia. She was being honest and not manipulative for once when it was just her and Josh in the apartment for those few moments.

I remember feeling bad for her in her first episode as well -- between her teacher abusing her and her "Why does everyone only want to have sex with me!" outburst, I was pretty :(

Of course she lost all of that shading very quickly, and I don't know if she can come back from that "feminism" song she had.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Asiina posted:

I love how angry he is.

White Josh and Daryl surprisingly became the heart of the show. It's a near middle aged guy coming to terms with his sexuality and a young buff gym dude who are in the only healthy relationship onscreen.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Darryl is the boss, Trent is Rebecca's stalker dude

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, how many season 1 episodes left? There's no way this can have a sweet, happy ending.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

pentyne posted:

So, how many season 1 episodes left? There's no way this can have a sweet, happy ending.

Originally this was the season finale. But a like a week before they finished production the network ordered 5 aditional episodes.

To be honest, I don't have high expectations for next week. It must be quite hard to write a direct follow up to an original season finale in a short amount of time.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

^^ They will presumably have removed some stuff from the end of this episode when they found out about the extra episodes, I can't imagine it was going to end on the kiss (unless they knew they had a second season)

best show on tv

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A single line from Santino during the reprise is a good enough reason to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmbLB4OIuao

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the Spotify version of the album only has the explicit version of good person which is imo the only song where the explicit version is worse

e: so good at yoga as well possibly because the line "I orgasm instantly" is way funnier than "I cum vaginally" imo

e2: in this episode greg experienced a reprise of a song he never experienced! thats how on Rebecca's wavelength he is

Phoon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 2, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

EmmyOk posted:

Anyone who likes Rebecca and Josh is actually a dumpster Goblin. He acts like he is eight years old most of the time which makes most of their interactions creepy. Maybe this will line up the finale to be about Greg and Rebecca. Most likely though Rebecca and Josh will act all weird after the kiss and not get together til the finale. Heather's Reprise was great though.

White Josh has the best smile

Josh is a loving dumpster fire. He's honestly the typical RomCom third lead who the woman is with that beginning whose nice and everything but gets dumped by the end.

Greg isn't right for Rebecca either but he's better then Josh.

Phoon posted:

e: so good at yoga as well possibly because the line "I orgasm instantly" is way funnier than "I cum vaginally" imo

"Anal doesn't hurt at all, I even prefer it" is the best line of that song.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anyone else think that the show was dismissive of people who are dealing with their sexuality and not prepared to be open about it yet? Coming out can be really hard. The guy has kids. And the show seemed to take the position that if he did not immediately declare his sexuality to the world, he was in the wrong. I don't like that attitude.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

blue squares posted:

Anyone else think that the show was dismissive of people who are dealing with their sexuality and not prepared to be open about it yet? Coming out can be really hard. The guy has kids. And the show seemed to take the position that if he did not immediately declare his sexuality to the world, he was in the wrong. I don't like that attitude.

It can be sure be read that way, but at the same time you can look at it as "I"m out and I'm not going back into the closet for you, so get over your poo poo if you want to date me"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

No, not at all. White Josh even says you do what you need to do to feel comfortable, but I'm not going back in the closet again. I mean it's TV and a romantic comedy, so obviously these two will end up together, but it's reasonable to say that even if you like someone, if you're at different stages it may not work out. Darryl didn't have to yell it from the rooftops, but pretending that nothing was going on while dating Josh only in another city is something Josh was completely reasonable for not accepting.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Can you cap the linked arms+smiling as they walk out of the scene as well? That made me crack up more than anything.

Gif of the whole scene where White Josh is figuring out how to link hands with Daryl, the two of them walking off.

Also, bonus Daryl sticking his tongue out at "He's out of your league" guy, cause's it's adorable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blue squares posted:

That's literally the exact opposite of what happened. White Josh didn't say "You need to come out as gay/bi" just that he was 100% comfortable with being a publicly known gay man and he couldn't be in a relationship with someone trying to keep it on the down low.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It was more about the show's rhetorical message, which is that Daryl needed to just come out with and tell everyone right away, and then he did and was rewarded for it and everything was cool. When in reality it's a lot more complicated than that, and the message that "oh get over yourself and just be open" doesn't respect the valid struggle that can be for many people in various situations.

But I still love the show and I'm not going to organize some boycott of it or something. It's a minor issue.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

blue squares posted:

No one else thinks this, no. Well, maybe the people who think the show should have a different name and basically be a social science lecture instead of a musical comedy, but the rest of us can recognize that these characters aren't perfect role models like anyone else in fiction or real life and their inability to act as such is what makes for compelling television.

And White Josh is incredibly understanding, but still informed by his personal experience of having come out alongside his transition to adolescence. Darryl doesn't have a lot of social familiarity with anyone, let alone someone who had a revelation of orientation after thinking themselves straight. There will be more examples of people fumbling with the issue and they will continue as long as Darryl is fumbling with it.

blue squares posted:

It was more about the show's rhetorical message, which is that Daryl needed to just come out with and tell everyone right away, and then he did and was rewarded for it and everything was cool. When in reality it's a lot more complicated than that, and the message that "oh get over yourself and just be open" doesn't respect the valid struggle that can be for many people in various situations.

But I still love the show and I'm not going to organize some boycott of it or something. It's a minor issue.

The show's primary message through Rachel, and especially this episode, is to be true to yourself--Rachel is the negative example in terms of purposefully avoiding it, Darryl is a more positive example but still trying to fit himself into pre-defined roles and identities instead of accepting that reality is more gray.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 2, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Plus it's very much in character with Darryl, he's a non confrontational guy who wants everyone to like him and everything to be okay as fast as possible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd say if this show dos have an SJW-y issue it would be its use of race. Between the yoga song, use of Josh's mom in the parent song, and the Jap thing in the latest episode, it can be kind of iffy. Not actively offensive, but....iffy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I'd say if this show dos have an SJW-y issue it would be its use of race. Between the yoga song, use of Josh's mom in the parent song, and the Jap thing in the latest episode, it can be kind of iffy. Not actively offensive, but....iffy.
On the one hand I would disagree, because they try really hard to represent a lot of different cultures while not picturing them as racist stereotypes.
In most other shows there would be 3 times as many white people to make it more relatable, even though that's not how California looks at all.

But when I first saw it, that yoga song felt a little weird. Maybe it's because there hasn't been an Indian person on the show so far. (I'm actually surprised by that.) I know that they just wanted to mock bollywood songs, but it actually did feel iffy.
The JAP battle get's a pass from me, because both show creators are Jewish women, so it feels a bit more like speaking from experience and sharing a culture than moking it.

On the other hand, all of those examples are songs in Rebeccas imagination. Since they usually don't happen literally, there is a slightly larger abstraction. If someone would actually act like Valencia did in that yoga song it would strike me as something way worse. Maybe I have less problems with racial stuff, if it is consistent and reasonable from a characterizational point of view. Since the people in those songs are only abstractions of the real ones they can be written a little bit more one dimensionally. That's just how they come across to whoever hears that song.

I wouldn't say that Gregs constant use of degrading nicknames in "settle for me" didn't feel offensive either. But if an actual person on the show would talk like that the situation would probably be different.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He acknowledges them in 'Settle for Me' though. They are supposed to be an attempt to save some face while totally prostrating in front of Rebecca.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Air is lava! posted:

But when I first saw it, that yoga song felt a little weird. Maybe it's because there hasn't been an Indian person on the show so far. (I'm actually surprised by that.)

Heather.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Trent owned. Trebecca 4 life.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Air is lava! posted:

But when I first saw it, that yoga song felt a little weird. Maybe it's because there hasn't been an Indian person on the show so far. (I'm actually surprised by that.) I know that they just wanted to mock bollywood songs, but it actually did feel iffy.

Same, and I still feel that way. I'm not sure whether that's because I find it offensive, or just because I feel "bollywood is pretty ridiculous" is a played out joke.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Good to hear some people don't quite like the Yoga song either. It's probably at the bottom if I had to rank the songs, honestly. Mostly for the reasons already posted.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sober posted:

Good to hear some people don't quite like the Yoga song either. It's probably at the bottom if I had to rank the songs, honestly. Mostly for the reasons already posted.

Same.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
You have to try pretty hard to find something genuinely offensive in this show. It has a cast where race isn't tied to role, and every poke at race, gender and religious issues seems to be informed by cultural sensitivity. Considering "appropriateness" is an issue of personal taste as well as what's culturally appropriate, I'd say they're doing a bang-up job.

quote:

I know that they just wanted to mock bollywood songs
I thought they were celebrating Bollywood song and dance and mocking modern American yoga culture.

quote:

the Jap thing in the latest episode, it can be kind of iffy
I dunno, man, the Jewish mother bit and the JAP battle were pretty loving spot-on. Women writing songs about poo poo they dealt with growing up.. with a personal cultural flavor? What were your problems with them?

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 3, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I meant the use of the word 'Jap' and then being like 'too bad if you find it offensive LOL'. Like, it is still a racial slur. Wasn't referring to the Jewish stuff which I don't think is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I meant the use of the word 'Jap' and then being like 'too bad if you find it offensive LOL'. Like, it is still a racial slur. Wasn't referring to the Jewish stuff which I don't think is a problem.

JAP = Jewish American Princess, it's a pretty common term for people to call themselves or their friends only semi-ironically. In this sense, it's their decision whether to use it or not as they're a member of the group the term describes.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 3, 2016

• Locked thread