Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly it's not even that-- you can certainly slap together something barebones in a short period of time (just look at the 1-dev Plebian updates), it just gets exponentially more complicated every time you increase the scope. Ferdelicious assets, plus massively multiplayer, plus FPS plus space sim plus plus plus and suddenly you're looking at a 20 year dev project-- and they haven't even started doing DNF's musical engine routine, either. How much you want to bet it's coming, though...

I think the best part is this isn't new, this was still the case "back in the day" even if the scopes you were trying to add weren't as impressive. It still absolutely boggles me that he took nothing away from being kicked off his own project beyond "microsoft ruined my vision".

The funniest part about all of the Microsoft chat is even if Microsoft took over , they'd probably make it worse. It would have to be win10 dx 12 only, and work on the xbox. I hope Microsoft takes it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Wafflz posted:

Far cry 4 had it too.

Well, gently caress. Wish I'd bothered to check the options. Got really bored of those animations by the end of that one.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It still absolutely boggles me that he took nothing away from being kicked off his own project beyond "microsoft ruined my vision".

It all would've worked out if those mean old developers had kept throwing money into a furnace at him to build his dream project!

Now I'm imagining what would've happened if someone had yanked Romero off Daikatana and desperately tried to salvage it. Would he be in Croberts position now?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Apparently too big to be an av :shrug:

fantastic - love it :five:

e: to add dayammn I would pay good money for that to be my AV. 5'd it before but nevertheless wonderful work :)

Galarox fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 3, 2016

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
PAGE 42!!!! O9 :pgabz:

Star Citizen ruins my immersion because if we have push-to-start self-driving cars in ten years, then in the year 2900, we'll have AI flown push-to-start ships and the monetary system as we know it will be discarded.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Ravane posted:

Solar Plebian should have this though. Like pressing the red start button for the ship should just make the sound "beep boop beep boop".

Not only that but the 'get in' animation should be ten minutes long, unskipable, and 110% immersive! Get in, make sure he's buckled in, check his belts and suit, check his helmet, put helmet on, double check oxygen supply, run through life support test, etc. etc.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ravane posted:

Star Citizen ruins my immersion because if we have push-to-start self-driving cars in ten years, then in the year 2900, we'll have AI flown push-to-start ships and the monetary system as we know it will be discarded.

If you really want to get technical, the ships computer would do the targeting and never miss a shot either, and land perfectly every time and..and. That would make a boring game if total ~immersion~ was enforced.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ravane posted:

you know nothing john snow about game development

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lime Tonics posted:

If you really want to get technical, the ships computer would do the targeting and never miss a shot either, and land perfectly every time and..and. That would make a boring game if total ~immersion~ was enforced.

I really just wanted Wing Commander: the Movie: the Sequel. I never wanted to play this game. Just watch as my computer does everything for me. O9

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

xanif posted:

No matter what game comes out, no matter how good it is, the cultists will not admit that it could possibly be as good as Star Citizen will be because they imagined a perfect game that is unattainable.

Which is also why many of them will freak out when the game comes out and doesn't literally suck their dick. The others will dig in harder and exclaim that you don't understand CIG's vision.

Yeah, they're pretty much immune to being tempted away from SC by other games coming out because they honestly expect Star Citizen to be the second coming of Christ. No game can meet their expectations so as long as Star Citizen continues to be delayed, it's just more confirmation that they need to wait for this perfect game.

CIG should just take another decade over this game then retire.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Lime Tonics posted:

maybe croberts has just followed it to the end conclusion of computers make shots -> people write jamming software for shots -> people have to make shots manually -> nobody uses computers to make shots because everyone expects the opposition to have jamming software

probably not though

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
this is mr "be quiet on the space submarine or the other space submarine might hear us" and space bulldozers pushing poo poo that falls off the ship due to space gravity

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

KiddieGrinder posted:

Not only that but the 'get in' animation should be ten minutes long, unskipable, and 110% immersive! Get in, make sure he's buckled in, check his belts and suit, check his helmet, put helmet on, double check oxygen supply, run through life support test, etc. etc.

Oh poo poo, police quest popped into my head. Forgot to check your tires before driving? gently caress YOU YOUR DEAD. I loved that game though.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KiddieGrinder posted:

If you do put "get in" animations into solar plebian Troops, then please record someone with a bumbling and humorous voice talking to himself while he gets in.

"oomph ok here we go, just gotta.. ahh there we go and the other leg... oohff ok right, mmph there's the seat ok where's the... ah ok just gotta push the.. humm... ah ok right push then errmm.. where's the... ah there's the one right so now what's next, oh I remember...."

Because that's exactly what I hear in my head every time I watch one of those ponderous "use" animations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Lime Tonics posted:

Oh poo poo, police quest popped into my head. Forgot to check your tires before driving? gently caress YOU YOUR DEAD. I loved that game though.

I think that's what shitizens want - but in space. This is why they want a fuse-replacement-plus-wrench simulator, instead of just pressing a button and -hey!- power's fixed.

(I did love that game too though, :hfive:)

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

Lime Tonics posted:

So unforgiving, so entertaining. Old Sierra classics are some of the best games I grew up with. I was a little too young to play them and naturally they were all made in foreign language which helped me to learn English better than most of the kids of my age.. but drat, those games were so drat unforgiving back then.
I think it was in Kings Quest 4 where I accidentally uh.. missed with an arrow early on in a game and spent another.. only to get completely cut off near the finale of the game because hey, you shouldn't have wasted a single arrow! START ALL OVER AGAIN.

Edit: Codename: Iceman is the one game I could never finish, nor could my older cousin.. because that game had one insanely complex submarine sequence.

Lonkface fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 3, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Kavak posted:

It all would've worked out if those mean old developers had kept throwing money into a furnace at him to build his dream project!

Now I'm imagining what would've happened if someone had yanked Romero off Daikatana and desperately tried to salvage it. Would he be in Croberts position now?
Your question prompted me to google for "John Romero" + "star Citizen" content in the last year. I was hoping maybe someone had sought comment from him on the project recently.

Doesn't appear so, but I did find this resonant blog post. It's very worth reading.

This guy gets it.

Star Citizen will be this generation's Daikatana.

quote:

"Roberts has vigorously denied many of these claims, threatening to sue The Escapist, whose story on them was even harsher than those of Joystiq and Kotaku. But he cannot deny fundamental and well-documented problems remaining that point to another Daikatana in the making: the profligate real estate expenses; the workplace turnover and the vengeful former employees, whether they are being honest or not; Roberts’ incredible boasts that seem impossible to fulfill, promising lightyears beyond what competitors are delivering yet with nothing to show so far; endless delays; damning media coverage; Nixonian levels of paranoia (why on earth is Roberts obsessed with Derek Smart?). No matter what Roberts’ lawyers say: this is Ion Storm all over again."
A lone sperg replied:

quote:

"Star citizen will prevail as it already has. You won’t get to laugh like you imagine".

Uh-huh.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Galarox posted:

So far behind it's unfunny. By the way, have you lot seen the new Asterix book?

Quoting this because it is bloody beautiful. Good job!

Are they making ... Benhirs?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

maybe croberts has just followed it to the end conclusion of computers make shots -> people write jamming software for shots -> people have to make shots manually -> nobody uses computers to make shots because everyone expects the opposition to have jamming software

probably not though

The Deathstalker novel series had human shield/gun operators because they were bad at their jobs. Computers did perfect play, and were thusly predictable (anything a computer could do, another computer could handle).

Dunno if SC is going for that though :v:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
star citizen gameplay feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrLn5_qbRDk

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

The comments already imply it's some sort of feature that has never existed before.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Apparently too big to be an av :shrug:

I love that a thread of goofballs making things in their spare time have created more enjoyable and thought provoking content that CIG has done with over 100 mil and years of time.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

MedicineHut posted:

So now we know where the Kartu'Al chair went:

this is acceptable and fitting!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6428190/#Comment_6428190

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

probably not though

you are only allowed to shoot if you have the RSI HOTAS!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

Man, that game had some funny moments. Morris Fudley, the cop who never left the shower throughout the whole game cracked me up.

So many ways to lose... Many involving juvenile player behavior...

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Going back and playing Sierra games and finding all the (so, so many) ways to lose cracks me up. Space Quest 3 is a personal favourite for that.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
those old school games are why i still hoard potions and every consumable ever

drat you, sierra

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

G0RF posted:

Your question prompted me to google for "John Romero" + "star Citizen" content in the last year. I was hoping maybe someone had sought comment from him on the project recently

I assume you've already seen this.
https://mobile.twitter.com/romero/status/481154352589963264

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

those old school games are why i still hoard potions and every consumable ever

drat you, sierra

I never thought of it this way but I have the same pathology and probably also Sierra to blame.

Edit : also compulsive quicksaving

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 3, 2016

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

even then, chances are you'll miss a fantastic joke, jpeg or effort post. try and read them all.

i think the only downright boring pages have been the recent tax talk! pages, but i am really bad at understanding numbers. that said i am still not dumb enough to spend x dollars on star citizen

I now have multiple tabs of this open at once. I'm having such wonderful things pumped into each eyeball separately and I still can't stop.

Send help.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

The animations are just flat-out bad. Like seriously bad.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I hadn't but maybe Romero was nostalgic for the scent of cash piles aflame in opulent environs.

"Savor these moments, Chris-- really."

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 3, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
88ce: Are the the programmer who broke his wrist cycling?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TacticalNecromancy posted:

You bastards. I started to read this thread from the beginning to see what SC was all about because I'd not really paid any attention to it. Now I'm lost in the labyrinthine depths of this thread because I'm addicted to see how all this plays out. I skipped 1500 pages and I'm still losing ground but I can't stop; it's like the finest Latin American telenovela, filled with twists, turns, incompetence at the highest echelons of power and two seats magically becoming one.

if nothing else,this thread has led me to definitely consider Elite: Dangerous now partly because of fond nostalgic memories of pootling about in Frontier and partly because it actually seems to have a plan.

Now I'm going back down into the depths of insanity and may be some time. Tell my family not to spend money on this.

Don't miss chair gate or any pgabz vid

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Barnsy posted:

The comments already imply it's some sort of feature that has never existed before.

To be fair, I fully expected CIG to just stick a <<use>> function on the ladder and then you just sit and watch while your character plods his way to the top.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

tooterfish posted:

Who climbs a ladder with all their weight constantly hanging from their hands like that?

:laffo:

Have these people never gone up a ladder or seen anyone go up a ladder? Are there no references they could have used? Were no motion caption actors available to act out such a unique and uncommon sight?

When has anyone almost kneed themselves in the elbow when going up a ladder like that?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Dark Souls 2's ladder animations are better.

I've been playing a lot of Guild Wars the past week and every time I play that game, I'm always impressed by how good it looks. It's the best looking DX8 era game I've ever seen and, in my opinion, still holds up today. The ritual area in the catacombs during pre-searing still looks very good and if I weren't so lazy, I'd include a screen shot of it and ask everyone to tell me when it was released; but I'm too lazy.

With all their talk of 'fidelity' SC fans are blind to the fact that art style and consistency trum-- beat polygons and shader complexity every time.

edit: http://40.media.tumblr.com/9fb5533231150393d44a62c82fe06c3d/tumblr_nc6fwyBAVo1spi3bdo7_1280.jpg

Roflan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 3, 2016

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

G0RF posted:

I hadn't but maybe Romero was nostalgic for the scent of cash piles aflame in opulent environs.

"Savor these moments, Chris-- really."

Or looking for someone to take over his legend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320707/star-citizens-worldwide

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1888436

• Locked thread