Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, and ireland got blown into giblets. And wales donated some turf to the south west pointy bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

xzzy posted:

drat, if you're looking for a new seed to try out this is one in a million:

Hmm, looking at that number, I guess it's one in 181 trillion.

Is that seed browser from a website?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hermsgervørden posted:

Is that seed browser from a website?

Yep: http://mineatlas.com/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also from the same thread on reddit, here's a melted europe:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

EricFate posted:

I guess Wesley Wolfe finally gave up his crusade and now spends his free time playing Rocket League instead of threatening vague legal action and getting suspended from internet forums.

I might be entirely wrong about this but I think they just sidestep the whole issue by not actually hosting compiled .jar files anywhere on the site and instead require you to build from source. They're technically not distributing anything, and there's nothing that says an interested party can't compile the code themselves.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

EricFate posted:

I'm kind of amazed to see that they actually appear to have kept up.

https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/minecraft-1-9-release.127186/

I guess Wesley Wolfe finally gave up his crusade and now spends his free time playing Rocket League instead of threatening vague legal action and getting suspended from internet forums.

Ok to ask who that is and what exactly he did? Internet lawyer bullshit tends to be hilarious.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

xanthan posted:

Ok to ask who that is and what exactly he did? Internet lawyer bullshit tends to be hilarious.

He was a major CraftBukkit contributor who issued a DMCA against CraftBukkit when it came to light that it was owned by Mojang. He contributed his code under a specific license (GPL?) and I guess Mojang wasn't really respecting that license, so he exercised his legal right to issue a DMCA takedown against CraftBukkit and I guess be kind of a smug prick on Twitter about it for a while. There's an explanation that seems pretty OK here: https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/unofficial-explanation-about-the-dmca/

This also confirms that I was right, BuildTools was introduced by Spigot to sidestep providing downloads and thus violating Wolfe's DMCA Takedown. I guess that works, or maybe he just doesn't care anymore.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 2, 2016

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Spigot is the way to go if you are using lightweight mods on your server. I had an updated version up and running last night and the only mod that didn't work or didn't have an updated version was Dynmap, which I'm looking forward to updating soon because that map is crucial.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Just started playing again, when did they make monsters so horrendously tanky? I was fighting a zombie with a steel sword and no armor and he could have killed me with less hits than I needed to bring him down. Later I went back to a large cavern with a diamond sword and chestplate and had to retreat because I couldn't handle a few zombies and a skeleton even with diamond gear.

I feel like overworld mobs in minecraft should only exist as a distraction for variety, e.g. "don't let your guard down or a creeper might get you!" Those mobs shouldn't pose a meaningful challenge to a player prepared to fight them. Christ it takes me longer to kill a creeper without him exploding than it does to just let him pop and patch the crater.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Combat is basically designed around shields now, they really really help a lot and make things much easier.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sanctum posted:

Just started playing again, when did they make monsters so horrendously tanky? I was fighting a zombie with a steel sword and no armor and he could have killed me with less hits than I needed to bring him down. Later I went back to a large cavern with a diamond sword and chestplate and had to retreat because I couldn't handle a few zombies and a skeleton even with diamond gear.

I feel like overworld mobs in minecraft should only exist as a distraction for variety, e.g. "don't let your guard down or a creeper might get you!" Those mobs shouldn't pose a meaningful challenge to a player prepared to fight them. Christ it takes me longer to kill a creeper without him exploding than it does to just let him pop and patch the crater.

Don't mash click anymore, let the little attack cooldown refill.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tinaun posted:

Combat is basically designed around shields now, they really really help a lot and make things much easier.

Not really, I haven't used a shield once the "yay new stuff!" wore off. You can fight stuff just like you have for years for the most part.. just time your swings to get a full charge.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sanctum posted:

They die in just as few hits as before if you don't spam click. Turn on the attack delay in your visual settings.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

xzzy posted:

Not really, I haven't used a shield once the "yay new stuff!" wore off. You can fight stuff just like you have for years for the most part.. just time your swings to get a full charge.

Yeah I'm already finding that I only use a shield when I need to kill a skelly in open space for some reason.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Anyone running a server that's kind of active resetting for 1.9? Looking for a place to play since no one I used to play with seems interested in un-modded Minecraft.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try here, CC says he'll probably update the server in a week or so:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661782

Depends on your definition of "active" though. People are always updating their projects, but it's a dice roll if you actually encounter someone online at the same time. It's asynchronous Minecraft. :v:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I haven't played in so long that I forgot there was no built in way to see recipes. DAMMIT. :negative:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

xzzy posted:

Try here, CC says he'll probably update the server in a week or so:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661782

Depends on your definition of "active" though. People are always updating their projects, but it's a dice roll if you actually encounter someone online at the same time. It's asynchronous Minecraft. :v:

At this point I just play vicariously by peeking at the overworld map while I am at work.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

flatluigi posted:

Don't mash click anymore, let the little attack cooldown refill.
Thanks that helped, the meter is off by default for some reason.

Now I'm just disappointed that dual-wielding with the fishing rod is bugged. Hope they fix that soon so I can be scorpio from mortal kombat with sword + fishing rod.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've just encountered some weird/lovely bug. I dug my way up out of a skeleton dungeon so I could place a marker aboveground where it was, but then when I went back to look for it it was gone(even though I was at the exact same coords). I dug back down to check, and yep, there was the dungeon-but with none of my torches placed, and the cobblestone marker I placed gone. It was like it undid the changes I made to that specific area, or didn't save them.

So then I made a new marker there again, went down and saved... and then when I opened the save again, it was gone again and I was aboveground, again like everything was undone. And not only that, but the stuff in my inventory was reverted to stuff I put in a chest a long time ago. I don't know what all's gotten undone :(

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

so when will someone come up with a seed to create westeros with the great wall there (in the form of an ice mountain)

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

xzzy posted:

drat, if you're looking for a new seed to try out this is one in a million:

Hmm, looking at that number, I guess it's one in 181 trillion.

xzzy posted:

Stuff like this makes me wish there was a "continents" setting for the generator by default.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Does Unmined no longer support live updating/following your player? I used to use it more as a live map than anything else, but with the new version, I don't see a way to see myself on the map. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, that feature has been gone a long time. The developer keeps promising to finish it but the last three or four revisions have been nothing but from scratch rewrites so I don't think they're too interested in actually getting anywhere.

He's got an archive section on his downloads page so you should be able to get the player tracking version still.. it should more or less work, will probably be missing the newer block types though.

Looks like a new version got uploaded the other day, I gotta admit it does look pretty swank even if it's missing old features.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Anyone got a recommendation for a good, lightweight minimap mod? Something with waypoints?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Space Skeleton posted:

Stuff like this makes me wish there was a "continents" setting for the generator by default.

With realistic rivers that go from small and thin, originating in high spaces, down to wide and deep the more they merge/the closer they get to shorelines.

If we're generating continents then screw it, I want slightly more realism, dammit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Need a tool that takes the output of worldengine and creates a Minecraft map.

Actually... Huh. I wonder if you could pipe the output from worldengine (a tool that uses various simulations to generate a realistic bitmap continent maps with heightmaps and biomemaps and rivermaps like so, although this isn't all of the info) to world painter.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 3, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a good, lightweight minimap mod? Something with waypoints?

Nothing for 1.9, and likely won't be for months.

JourneyMap works for 1.8

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
What's a good way to make an elevator? Minecarts, pistons, anything that works and is fast (and doesn't require resetting after each use like a wood boat.) Or is there a way to teleport in vanilla now?

I'm doing a floating skybase and the ladder is driving me insane.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Sanctum posted:

What's a good way to make an elevator? Minecarts, pistons, anything that works and is fast (and doesn't require resetting after each use like a wood boat.) Or is there a way to teleport in vanilla now?

I'm doing a floating skybase and the ladder is driving me insane.

Luckily for you, Sethbling just came out with a video that showcases some elevators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b7A4m2SFSQ&hd=1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At this point I'd just set up command blocks with teleports. Elevators are a cool gimmick but there's no need to be a purist about your survival game if it's the difference between having fun and not having fun.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

How can I spawn an endless plain like in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ79E6RvBow

I know there's that super-flat option. But what's his ground? Ice? Also that sky looks a bit off.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
It's a quartz block. You can customize what you want the superflat world to be made of, how many layers etc.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Why doesn't minecraft have its own muse like scott manley is to kerbal space program?

Kerbal is the same as minecraft in attracting mumblers that like to make 10 minute video 'tutorials' about something they already built with no editing whatsoever. All it takes is one well spoken individual with some editing expertise to raise the bar, and then that bar is raised for everyone.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Humphrey Vasel posted:

It's a quartz block. You can customize what you want the superflat world to be made of, how many layers etc.

Yeah I'm almost there. Lots of slime families jumping around, but at least it's an empty quartz plain.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Sanctum posted:

Why doesn't minecraft have its own muse like scott manley is to kerbal space program?

Kerbal is the same as minecraft in attracting mumblers that like to make 10 minute video 'tutorials' about something they already built with no editing whatsoever. All it takes is one well spoken individual with some editing expertise to raise the bar, and then that bar is raised for everyone.

Because Minecraft doesn't really require any talent to operate. Also its popularity is gazillion-fold that of Kerbal.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I don't want videos of people building things because they always start out with people saying hey, slowpoke here, today uh we are going to talk for umm 14 minutes about how to build a... house and whatever else I think about too so uh let's get started.

I'd rather just look at a slideshow. Here is a good example of what is good:
http://imgur.com/a/yEQCf

We need more of these.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Time lapse video builds are cool though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been working on a timelapse of a project I've been tinkering with, taking screenshots of Mapcrafter renders and pasting them into photoshop. The psd has 30 layers at this point, and I take a screenshot once or twice a week. I'm probably 1/3 done.

So in 2018 it should be a pretty cool gifv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Slowpoke! posted:

I don't want videos of people building things because they always start out with people saying hey, slowpoke here, today uh we are going to talk for umm 14 minutes about how to build a... house and whatever else I think about too so uh let's get started.

I'd rather just look at a slideshow. Here is a good example of what is good:
http://imgur.com/a/yEQCf

We need more of these.

This is a gorgeous house, wow.