Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cakefool posted:

I need these :stare:

https://store.snapon.com/Magnetic-Tool-Silhouettes-Silhouettes-Tool-Magnetic-P630890.aspx

Get 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Can someone recommend me quality yet affordable brand and vendor for socket wrench sets? I understand Craftsman is no longer USA made, and I don't want Harbor Freight stuff. On the other end of the spectrum Snap-On, MAC, Matco, is way out of my budget. I don't use these tools for a living but I do appreciate quality tools when I do use them. I used to have alot of Craftsman stuff from the 90's and early 00's, but a good portion of it got stolen a few years back.

I have immediate need for 1/2" drive Metric, I prefer 6 point, want regular and deep.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

Can someone recommend me quality yet affordable brand and vendor for socket wrench sets? I understand Craftsman is no longer USA made, and I don't want Harbor Freight stuff. On the other end of the spectrum Snap-On, MAC, Matco, is way out of my budget. I don't use these tools for a living but I do appreciate quality tools when I do use them. I used to have alot of Craftsman stuff from the 90's and early 00's, but a good portion of it got stolen a few years back.

I have immediate need for 1/2" drive Metric, I prefer 6 point, want regular and deep.

I recently bought one of the larger gearwrench sets and it's fine. I don't really like the ratchets that came with it but I already had some 120xp ratchets. For working on cars at home the tool truck stuff is overkill. I also own quite a few kobalt and husky sockets and they are fine too. I actually like some of the huskies I have better than the gearwrench stuff.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Can I ask why you don't want HF?

I have used my 1/2" HF (Pittsburgh PRO- Taiwan) impact sockets for 8 years now with either a IR2135 or IR 1/2" Electric impact. No cracks. No damage outside of what I've caused from abuse. It's by far the best bang for your buck. Some people will recommend Grey Pneumatic, Gear Wrench, Tekton, etc, but i have yet to see any additional value. Now the regular 1/2" Impact HF sockets I would avoid. I've seen far to many reports of them shattering and cracking. The majority of my tools are now SnapOn/German, but I have yet to find a reason to shell out $500-800 on replacing my impact sockets.

( I realize you aren't asking specifically for impact sockets, but for 1/2" drive applications I have yet to find a place where the thicker wall interferes. )

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

the spyder posted:

Can I ask why you don't want HF?

I have used my 1/2" HF (Pittsburgh PRO- Taiwan) impact sockets for 8 years now with either a IR2135 or IR 1/2" Electric impact. No cracks. No damage outside of what I've caused from abuse. It's by far the best bang for your buck. Some people will recommend Grey Pneumatic, Gear Wrench, Tekton, etc, but i have yet to see any additional value. Now the regular 1/2" Impact HF sockets I would avoid. I've seen far to many reports of them shattering and cracking. The majority of my tools are now SnapOn/German, but I have yet to find a reason to shell out $500-800 on replacing my impact sockets.

( I realize you aren't asking specifically for impact sockets, but for 1/2" drive applications I have yet to find a place where the thicker wall interferes. )

I have those same impact sockets and they are fine as well. I have hardly abused the ones I use but they seem to hold up and everyone likes them especially for the price. Something about using impact sockets for regular wrenching annoys the poo poo out of me though.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
When I worked on rail cars a number of years ago, I bought a set of HF deep impact 1/2" sockets, SAE combination wrenches, and a few pipe wrenches. I bought cheap poo poo because I knew my co-workers would bug me for tools because they were lacking. Well one did succeed in breaking a pipe wrench. I tried hard to bust the impact sockets just to see if I could, as we had very powerful impact wrenches and an air compressor that took up an entire room. They lasted just fine much to my amazement. I was disappointed in the tolerances and the fit/finish of the wrenches, but they did the job in an abusive environment. I noticed the surface finish on the HF impact sockets are alot more rough then the set I bought, and they don't come in a nice steel box anymore.

I was brought up to appreciate and value fine tools. Buy it once, buy it for life. I'm willing to spend more then HF tools, not because my application requires it, just because I want something nice.

Who are good retailers for hand tools these days? I see the gearwrench sockets are on Amazon and look like they are priced competitively, but like Tooltopia I'm frustrated with the search functions and categorization.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

When I worked on rail cars a number of years ago, I bought a set of HF deep impact 1/2" sockets, SAE combination wrenches, and a few pipe wrenches. I bought cheap poo poo because I knew my co-workers would bug me for tools because they were lacking. Well one did succeed in breaking a pipe wrench. I tried hard to bust the impact sockets just to see if I could, as we had very powerful impact wrenches and an air compressor that took up an entire room. They lasted just fine much to my amazement. I was disappointed in the tolerances and the fit/finish of the wrenches, but they did the job in an abusive environment. I noticed the surface finish on the HF impact sockets are alot more rough then the set I bought, and they don't come in a nice steel box anymore.

I was brought up to appreciate and value fine tools. Buy it once, buy it for life. I'm willing to spend more then HF tools, not because my application requires it, just because I want something nice.

Who are good retailers for hand tools these days? I see the gearwrench sockets are on Amazon and look like they are priced competitively, but like Tooltopia I'm frustrated with the search functions and categorization.

I just bought a bunch of Grey Pneumatic stuff from Amazon well see how long it lasts. My craftsman 1/2 inch deeps have been holding up pretty good to my amazement. I use them every day. I would prefer them to not be so fat as they wont fit in certain rims but those are far and few between.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

The issue with buying once/buying for life is a majority of manufactures no longer support that middle ground. It seems 10+ years ago they decided it was cutting into their profits and have thus made the low end/high end market we have now. Hence Craftsman going to China. The quality level from HF to Tekton/Grey is arguably the same, there are only a handful of factories producing many of these brands. IMO you won't find a better set of sockets for $80 vs the $40 set, it may be "more refined", but it's the same metal/coating with a different label. At $200, sure- but those tools are designed to be used every day with a warranty system to back them up. Garage Journal has dozens of these posts a month and the answer seems to be either search eBay for the old stuff, go with Truck Brand, or Taiwanese made Apex/Grey/HF.

Now the one exception I have found is the German tool market- I absolutely love my Wera sockets. The problem is they cost as much as a Snap On set here in the USA. Same for my pliers- I have a dozen Knipex cutters/pliers/cable cutters that are some of the best fit/finish/feel I've ever used.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I see Japanese and German tools as the non-tool-truck Good poo poo, and not just for automotive tools.

"Buy once, buy it for life" is much more a woodworking lifestyle than it is any other tool realm. Most other fields take a harder toll on literal materials the tools are made of, I'd imagine mostly because the materials are usually much closer to or surpassing the hardness of the tools themselves.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I had to go to HF anyway, so I looked at their chrome sockets and said gently caress it and picked up some metric 1/2" drive deep and regular. I might look for some used stuff later. Their combo wrenches look a bit better then they used to. That said I'm pissed off at the packaging, they obviously design it so you can't pull sockets off in the store, well you can't pull them off when you get the home either.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I like my Proto/Blackhawk sockets; they seem much nicer than HF (and are USA made), but are much cheaper than Snap-On. Maybe you can find a good deal on those?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

I had to go to HF anyway, so I looked at their chrome sockets and said gently caress it and picked up some metric 1/2" drive deep and regular. I might look for some used stuff later. Their combo wrenches look a bit better then they used to. That said I'm pissed off at the packaging, they obviously design it so you can't pull sockets off in the store, well you can't pull them off when you get the home either.

Knock 'em out with a spring-loaded centerpunch.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Knock 'em out with a spring-loaded centerpunch.

Or a free HF screwdriver and a concrete floor.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Bahco stuff is good Swedish/German quality, and is reasonably priced. The ratchets use the same guts as Snap-On ratchets.

SK, Proto, GearWrench are all good American brands.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wallaka posted:

Bahco stuff is good Swedish/German quality, and is reasonably priced. The ratchets use the same guts as Snap-On ratchets.

SK, Proto, GearWrench are all good American brands.

Is GearWrench USA made? I thought they were China.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
On the Euro side, Bahco, Teng Tools and Proxxon are all nice. Stahlwille and Facom are the Snap-On/MAC equivalent, expensive as gently caress.

I got some gearwrench-style ratcheting wrenches from Peddinghaus, and they're MY PRECIOUS levels of nice. Best finish I've ever seen on a tool.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Raluek posted:

Hmm. You're probably right.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

rally posted:

I actually like some of the huskies I have better than the gearwrench stuff.

Husky is frequently gear wrench. Don't know if it always is but at least some times is.

Raluek posted:

Some are USA some aren't. Most are from Taiwan, which can make pretty good poo poo.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Can someone recommend me quality yet affordable brand and vendor for socket wrench sets? I understand Craftsman is no longer USA made, and I don't want Harbor Freight stuff.

A lot of craftsman stuff is going back to US made, especially if you look around at what they have in store. At least the obvious stuff, like hammers, pliers, etc. I think the old CEO/kmart deal drove a lot of that push to the bottom, but who knows.

Honestly, to me it's the same quality as Husky/big box store stuff. I know it's definitely a step up from HF, since one of my craftsman sockets destroyed the cheese grade HF extension I was using with it.

That being said I really like this Husky 205 piece socket set, which you can still find on ebay for a hundred bucks. It's got a great variety of sockets, all in one handy case. I just swapped the wrenches for some gearwrench ratcheting ones, and it's my goto toolset.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Raluek posted:

I like my Proto/Blackhawk sockets; they seem much nicer than HF (and are USA made), but are much cheaper than Snap-On. Maybe you can find a good deal on those?

Was going to recommend these.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Woo! I just ordered some of the flexy ORTT socket holders, so I can start moving from blowmolded socket set to real grown up tool chest!

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Could use some suggestions on a few things:

1. Power grease gun, I really dont want to drop megabucks on the Milwaukee one, looking to pay $75-100-ish for one. My CJ-7 has about a dozen zerks on the front end alone, not to mention driveshafts, hub fittings that i tapped in etc.

2. Swivel impact sockets, Seems like they're all snap-on or mac money, didnt see much out of SK or craftsman for these.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Dacheat posted:

1. Power grease gun, I really dont want to drop megabucks on the Milwaukee one, looking to pay $75-100-ish for one. My CJ-7 has about a dozen zerks on the front end alone, not to mention driveshafts, hub fittings that i tapped in etc.

I think you're going to have to double your budget or stick to manual. I got my dad an 18v Lincoln for the farm a few years back and its still going strong

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Dacheat posted:

Could use some suggestions on a few things

2. Swivel impact sockets, Seems like they're all snap-on or mac money, didnt see much out of SK or craftsman for these.

I wouldn't mess with cheap ones if you plan on using them a lot. But im sure 20 people are gonna say they've been using the hf ones for years and had no problems.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

thebigcow posted:

I think you're going to have to double your budget or stick to manual. I got my dad an 18v Lincoln for the farm a few years back and its still going strong

any thoughts on a high quality manual one then? something that's easy to pump a decent amount of grease would be lovely.
when i mentioned a bunch of zerks, this is what i'm up against:

Ball joints,
Tie rods,
Drag Link
Clutch Linkage

Front DS slip
Rear DS cardan joint (4 zerks)
rear DS slip
Rear U-joint
Rear bumper tire carrier.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I bought this one for my XJ and it works great:

Lincoln Lubrication 1133 2-Way Loading Lever-Action Grease Gun with 18" Whip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KKTFO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_yeH2wb5GHN4K3

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Our manual gun is from John Deere. I tried looking for it online but I don't think what they sell now is the same thing.

Whatever you get, buy this and several rebuild kits http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7LPKKU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

I wouldn't mess with cheap ones if you plan on using them a lot. But im sure 20 people are gonna say they've been using the hf ones for years and had no problems.

Grey pneumatic makes a set that is a good set. Also tekton and sunex make some ok ones .

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dacheat posted:

While I haven't used them, the Proto stuff is about half the price of Snap-On, for what that's worth.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ive just got a cheap Pneumatic grease gun- cost me $45 in the land down under and does the job

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Dacheat posted:

Oreillys has a couple sets on their tool aisle. No idea on quality though. I assume mediocre, to fair.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Had an oil filter from hell today. Frame pliers, chain wrench, and hammer on the chain wrench didn't work. I finally gave up and bought the biggest adjustable wrench i could and came off like nothing. I think the oil change place last used an impact to put the oil filter and drain plug in.

Update for channellock pic

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 6, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chances are high the oil change place didn't lube the gasket like you're supposed to. They almost never do.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Dacheat posted:

All of my impact sockets are Sunex. I have the pinless swivel 1/4 and 3/8 set and the full 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 in deep and standard. All the ones I've inspected are made in Taiwan. Very happy with them, looks very similar to the Grays Pneumatic lineup on sockets. My brother in-law actually bought a set of the Grays off of a MAC tool truck. I have a few other tools and my tool cart is from Sunex, very pleased with everything and the prices are great compared to pretty much anything.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
UK Goons, Halfords tool chests are disgustingly cheap again:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets?cm_re=Featured-_-feature4-_-newtoolchests

I bought the red set for 200 in Dec 2013 and it's still working just fine.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Does anybody have any experience with the HF 30" metal brake? I need to do some bending on some sheet metal this weekend and I'll be picking one up. General consensus of what I can find online seems to be 'it's not crap.'

Update: it's not crap. Granted, I wasn't building a fuckin watch, but it's not a bad little brake. Clamped it to the work bench and went to town. Bends are straight and close enough to 90 degrees that I didn't need to redo anything.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

UK Goons, Halfords tool chests are disgustingly cheap again:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets?cm_re=Featured-_-feature4-_-newtoolchests

I bought the red set for £200 in Dec 2013 and it's still working just fine.

I have this combo too and recommend it to anyone I see struggling with heaps of lovely plastic toolboxes.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Any recommendations for a decent simple marking center punch? I figured it'd be a simple type it in Amazon and buy the first result kind of thing, but the first result is a set of 36 marking punches, the second is a welder, and there's about 2500 after that.

I just need a simple mark that I can start drilling a (small, maybe 1/4") hole through sheet metal from, but I don't know there's any amazing center punch features I'm not aware of.

There's a few from Dasco that look like about what I'm imagining, but I figured I'd ask.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Automatic center punch? Starrett.
Manual? Whatever, I've got a dozen of prick and center punches. Buy an American made one, it'll last forever. Wilde does a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Awesome, thank you.

From looking around, I think I have an automatic center punch, of indeterminate brand, because it was in the center console of a car when I purchased it. I'm thinking manual is going to be better because the sheet metal has a stamped irregular shape that I suspect I won't be able to get an auto to line up a clean mark on.

Wilde it is!