Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Those are horror franchises with niche audiences when compared to something like Ghostbusters. You're making the mistake of assuming that the movie has to be really good to successfully launch a new Ghostbusters franchise, when really it just has to not be aggressively terrible. Enough people will see this on opening weekend alone to justify a sequel, the budget is around $150 million, so you know its going to at least double that. And that would probably be a worst case scenario.

I hear ya... I picked those franchises based on their beloved 80s movie status, but I guess even though both had more original run sequels, Ghostbusters is a much bigger franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor posted:

Watch Murray's cameo be Mayor Venkman, just to gently caress with people.

While I'd love this, Andy Garcia is playing the mayor.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

It's going to be better than two, not as good as one. Everything will be okay, and we probably won't get a sequel.
In all fairness though, being better than Ghostbusters 2 wouldn't be difficult.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The_Doctor posted:

He should be a gameshow host.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

He should be a groundskeeper.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

He should be a Ghostbuster.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

homullus posted:

He should be a groundskeeper.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

He should be a Ghostbuster.

Why not all three?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

This movie takes place in an alternate universe where all the Ghostbusters characters exist, but never formed the franchise. Not only a reboot but also a retcon that means the original movie never happened, just as a bonus little "gently caress you" to the fans of the original.

Picklepuss posted:

In all fairness though, being better than Ghostbusters 2 wouldn't be difficult.

Alright so I'm gonna say I was the guy who liked Ghostbusters 2. No it wasn't as good as the original but it was still p. good, IMO. I dunno why people hate it so much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

Alright so I'm gonna say I was the guy who liked Ghostbusters 2. No it wasn't as good as the original but it was still p. good, IMO. I dunno why people hate it so much.

Every time Ghostbusters 2 comes up there's a handful of people that come to its defense and I'm one of them. Is it as unique and original as the first film? Of course not. That's the only negative thing I really can say about it though, I find it to be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ash1138 posted:

College graduate with a degree in history working as a subway attendant to pay off school loan debt would be a legit background for a character in America.

I'd be cool with this, but man that trailer did not convey anything to make me think she had anything to offer besides "street smarts."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

KidDynamite posted:

I'd be cool with this, but man that trailer did not convey anything to make me think she had anything to offer besides "street smarts."

You know street smarts are important too. There is nothing shameful in being street smart.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I love Ghostbusters 2. I just think this new one will be better than it.

Also I'm the kid brother that wanted a Proton pack.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Applewhite posted:

I like Ghostbusters 2 a ton, but if you want to understand why people hate it, its the exact reasons people say this new one is going to suck (it's different, it relies too much on special effects and cheap gags without the dark edge of the original, it's more colorful in a bad way, it's a rehash that doesn't bring anything interesting nor capture the spark of the original, etc).

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
LOL Dark Edge of the Original

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Applewhite posted:

I dunno why people hate it so much.

Because it is a soulless, shameless beat-for-beat remake of the original that no one but Aykroyd and Columbia wanted to make, and it shows in everyone's performances.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Applewhite posted:

You know street smarts are important too. There is nothing shameful in being street smart.

Especially in New York City.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Timby posted:

Because it is a soulless, shameless beat-for-beat remake of the original that no one but Aykroyd and Columbia wanted to make, and it shows in everyone's performances.

I like 2 okay, but, yeah, you can see how much Bill Murray hates himself for agreeing to do it in every minute of his performance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I like 2 okay, but, yeah, you can see how much Bill Murray hates himself for agreeing to do it in every minute of his performance.

That's why Murray -- and Reitman and Ramis, and eventually Aykroyd -- had it written into their GB2 deals that there could never be a GB3 unless all four of them signed off on the script, and why when Columbia started making noise about doing a GB3 back in 1991-92, Murray said he wouldn't even think of it unless he got something like 15 percent of the receipts from GB2, because he knew Columbia would immediately balk at that.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Didn't Murray also bash the hell out of 2 while it was playing in theaters? I remember hearing that he went on talk shows and basically said "Yeah, I guess see it or whatever, I think it sucks rear end"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Didn't Murray also bash the hell out of 2 while it was playing in theaters? I remember hearing that he went on talk shows and basically said "Yeah, I guess see it or whatever, I think it sucks rear end"

Not while in theaters, but a year or two after the release he started ripping it pretty hard, saying it was a miserable shooting experience, and he's never spoken fondly of it since. Ramis was also always extremely disappointed and generally acted in interviews as though he wished he had never participated, and Reitman was largely the same way. Aykroyd's the only person who seemed to have any enthusiasm for the idea, but he's batshit crazy anyway, so that's no surprise.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Almost certain this is going the bioshock infinite alternate universe route where "all of this is happening because the original ghostbusters did this in their universe!" and bill murray and crew will appear and pass the torch to the new ghostbusters and start a new franchise. I would put money on it.

I've never really seen or understood the iconic popculture appeal of ghostbusters..

I think it's awesome they took a creative "risk" by recasting them as woman and seeing all the ugly backlash it's receiving really shows what a problem people have with accepting woman. Other than that this looks like a cheap, lazy, hackneyed nostalgia cash-in. People are either going to exaggerate the flaws and blame the recast or ignore all the movies flaws and praise it undeservingly to spite the backlash to the recast.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Ausmund posted:

People are either going to exaggerate the flaws and blame the recast or ignore all the movies flaws and praise it undeservingly to spite the backlash to the recast.

Or people will watch it, get a couple of laughs, have some fun, and then go on with their lives without feeling the need to justify their decision to watch a new Ghostbusters movie to anyone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

I've never really seen or understood the iconic popculture appeal of ghostbusters..

It was sharp and funny enough to appeal to adults, and then when it hit home video those adults showed it to their kids. I first saw the movie because my parents took me to a dinner at another couple's house, and when dinner was over everyone sat down together to watch Ghostbusters. That kind of scenario probably played out in millions of households because of how the movie works on so many levels.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

xezton posted:

Or people will watch it, get a couple of laughs, have some fun, and then go on with their lives without feeling the need to justify their decision to watch a new Ghostbusters movie to anyone.
Whoops, forgot enabling uncreative, uninspired movies and giving them a market.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Basebf555 posted:

It was sharp and funny enough to appeal to adults, and then when it hit home video those adults showed it to their kids. I first saw the movie because my parents took me to a dinner at another couple's house, and when dinner was over everyone sat down together to watch Ghostbusters. That kind of scenario probably played out in millions of households because of how the movie works on so many levels.
Thats kind of cool.

I've seen bits and pieces of it on cable, it just seemed okay. But that's just me I guess, people regard it like the original star wars.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

I've seen bits and pieces of it on cable, it just seemed okay. But that's just me I guess, people regard it like the original star wars.

Yea if you don't see the movie at an early age, lets say 10 years old or younger, its just not going to hit you the same way. I still think if you watched it from start to finish you'd think it was hilarious, which it is, but the real hardcore fans were young enough to be scared by it, and then grew up and gradually discovered that its also one of the funniest movies ever. So in my nostalgic brain Ghostbusters is like the best horror movie and the best comedy all rolled into one.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I wonder how much of the decison to make Ghostbusters 2 was due to the cartoon being a huge hit. Was it a case of them going "Well poo poo, I guess we HAVE to make another on".

I don't HATE Ghostbusters 2, I watched it mainly because Comedy Central played it every 5 minutes back in the mid 00's. It's just a pretty bleh movie. The start of the film is incredibly loving stupid though. So the Ghostbusters literally save the entire world, or even at least New York....and a few years later they're mocked and forced to work at birthday parties? What?

Ausmund posted:

Whoops, forgot enabling uncreative, uninspired movies and giving them a market.

Oh come the gently caress on with this :smug: crap.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea if you don't see the movie at an early age, lets say 10 years old or younger, its just not going to hit you the same way.

I would have pegged it as a teen movie, since there's a little more swearing and scaring and innuendo. I definitely don't see it as a movie for the 10 and under crowd.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

I would have pegged it as a teen movie, since there's a little more swearing and scaring and innuendo. I definitely don't see it as a movie for the 10 and under crowd.

poo poo was different in the late 80's.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OldTennisCourt posted:

Oh come the gently caress on with this :smug: crap.
What's the problem with demanding higher quality writing in movies?

hurr hurr that's going to leave a mark! That's from Chris Farley

they're not possessed anymore but they think they are and they're still hitting them hahaha That's a gag from Evil Dead 2

this shouldn't at all be okay and is always worth bringing up.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Ausmund posted:

What's the problem with demanding higher quality writing in movies?

hurr hurr that's going to leave a mark! That's from Chris Farley

they're not possessed anymore but they think they are and they're still hitting them hahaha That's a gag from Evil Dead 2

this shouldn't at all be okay and is always worth bringing up.

Oh no! A comedy movie we've only seen one trailer for has a couple of lame jokes! Mother of god....

I think the film industry's gonna be okay man but...only time will tell.

Also let's not pretend that the orignal film didn't have a couple of clunkers as well, It's a great movie, but judging a comedy on it's first trailer alone and tut-tutting over the state of film writing in the industry is pretty :jerkbag:

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 4, 2016

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OldTennisCourt posted:

Oh no! A comedy movie we've only seen one trailer for has a couple of lame jokes! Mother of god....

I think the film industry's gonna be okay man but...only time will tell.
Not lame, unoriginal. What happened to creative integrity? And more importantly... WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE? I think it's a really important issue.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

It was sharp and funny enough to appeal to adults

It was made for adults, Dan Aykroyd gets a blowjob from a Ghost.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

Not lame, unoriginal. What happened to creative integrity? And more importantly... WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE? I think it's a really important issue.

Creative integrity in a project like this is just a naïve fantasy. Complaining about a few unoriginal jokes in a big-budget remake in 2016 is like complaining about airplane peanuts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avril Lavigne posted:

It was made for adults, Dan Aykroyd gets a blowjob from a Ghost.

I'm aware of that, which I think would be made clear if you had quoted a complete sentence, not just half of one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

poo poo was different in the late 80's.

No kidding! I saw it in the theater.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Ausmund posted:

People do care dude. It's one loving remake of a comedy, the independent film industry and hell, Hollywood in general is putting our original and creative films all the time. Acting like this remake in particular is the coming of a nightmarish hellscape of unoriginality is absurd. No one's saying this isn't important but your idea that if this film makes money we're in for the death of creative integrity in film is loving stupid.

I'm willing to bet good money this same drat argument has happened every single year since film started to be considered an artform.

"Oh boy a remake of The Thing From Another World? Where the gently caress is creativity Hollywood?"

"Jesus Christ another James Bond sequel? What is this, number 5?"

V-----There's a pretty MASSIVE difference between a comedian stealing another comedians entire set and a film trailer using two jokes that are pretty loving tenuous at best to be ripping off another film's jokes. This is such a strange thing to be stuck on, the jokes are lame but stolen?

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 4, 2016

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also let's not pretend that the orignal film didn't have a couple of clunkers as well, It's a great movie, but judging a comedy on it's first trailer alone and tut-tutting over the state of film writing in the industry is pretty :jerkbag:
I haven't seen the movie yet, true.

But why is it when a comedian uses unoriginal materiel it's a controversy, but when a movie uses unoriginal material it's dismissed as only something an obsessed movie snob cares about?

It pisses me off the cast probably worked their asses off crafting these characters and their personalities, because they realize the huge expectations and gender issues they're up against, and then the writers can't even be bothered to write an original thoughtful joke(well going by the trailer anyway).

But gently caress me, right?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Basebf555 posted:

Creative integrity in a project like this is just a naïve fantasy.
Maybe if people spoke up it wouldn't be.

People said the same thing about Anita Sarkesian criticizing how woman are portrayed in media, yet look at the loving huge impact she's had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Applewhite posted:

There's not but you can have street smarts and still be in STEM.

• Locked thread