Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

Maybe if people spoke up it wouldn't be.

People said the same thing about Anita Sarkesian criticizing how woman are portrayed in media, yet look at the loving huge impact she's had.

I'm going to "speak up" by not going to see the movie, because it doesn't look very good. Sorry, that's about all I'm willing to invest in this cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

It was sharp and funny enough to appeal to adults, and then when it hit home video those adults showed it to their kids. I first saw the movie because my parents took me to a dinner at another couple's house, and when dinner was over everyone sat down together to watch Ghostbusters. That kind of scenario probably played out in millions of households because of how the movie works on so many levels.

Its release was also perfectly timed with the start of the horror comedy film resurgence of the early 80s which became a tidal wave in the following years, with Ghostbuster's popularity probably contributing to that a fair deal.

GB was also a massive box office smash hit, making it the 34th biggest box office hit in film history (adjusted for inflation). Since Ghostbuster's release in 1984 there's only been 10 films that have beat it at the box office.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I'm aware of that, which I think would be made clear if you had quoted a complete sentence, not just half of one.

My bad, but it is weird to start a sentence saying a movie aimed at adults appealed to adults. I get what you meant though.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Do we know for certain that this is a "reboot" versus a "sequel"? It seems odd as hell to mention the first movie first thing in the trailer and then then ignore it. Plus - it kinda makes more sense if this is in the same universe as the first, doesn't it?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sasquatch! posted:

Do we know for certain that this is a "reboot" versus a "sequel"? It seems odd as hell to mention the first movie first thing in the trailer and then then ignore it. Plus - it kinda makes more sense if this is in the same universe as the first, doesn't it?
It's going to have a scifi parallel universe subplot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

berserker posted:

LOL Dark Edge of the Original

Yeah I struggled with that description, I couldn't think of a better way to put it. But 2 is very obviously a lot sillier and targeted at kids. Less of the "swearing and scaring and innuendo" as homullus aptly put it.

Basebf555 posted:

It was sharp and funny enough to appeal to adults, and then when it hit home video those adults showed it to their kids. I first saw the movie because my parents took me to a dinner at another couple's house, and when dinner was over everyone sat down together to watch Ghostbusters. That kind of scenario probably played out in millions of households because of how the movie works on so many levels.

Yeah this; our neighbor had TWO(!) vcrs for the purpose of renting movies and copying them and that was one of the first my dad had him make for us. I was not very old at all (born '83).

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

KidDynamite posted:

I'd be cool with this, but man that trailer did not convey anything to make me think she had anything to offer besides "street smarts."
True, I'm getting dangerously close to "head canon" talk here.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea if you don't see the movie at an early age, lets say 10 years old or younger, its just not going to hit you the same way. I still think if you watched it from start to finish you'd think it was hilarious, which it is, but the real hardcore fans were young enough to be scared by it, and then grew up and gradually discovered that its also one of the funniest movies ever. So in my nostalgic brain Ghostbusters is like the best horror movie and the best comedy all rolled into one.
:agreed: Ghostbusters scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid, though oddly enough it was the practical, poltergeist-esque stuff that freaked me out the most, like the eggs jumping out of the carton and cooking on the countertop. Also the ghosts that weren't much more than streamers of light escaping from the shut-down containment grid still kind of weird me out and I have no clue why. CGI ghost people are kind of bland in comparison.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The scene that really got me as a kid was when the demon dog arms come out of the chair and grab Dana, and she gets dragged into the kitchen.

Also I was somehow very scared during the scene where Louis is being chased by the dog, but of course watching it now that's one of the funniest scenes in the movie.

The way the guys face down Gozer at the end really felt like legit hero stuff to me at the time, and it made me want to be a Ghostbuster so bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sasquatch! posted:

Yes, because Aykroyd is cameoing as a random taxi driver.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

computer parts posted:

Yes, because Aykroyd is cameoing as a random taxi driver.

https://twitter.com/dan_aykroyd/status/705463685695807488

Come again? GB3?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the 3rd Ghostbusters movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There already is a market for uninspired and unoriginal films. Maybe this will be one of them but I'm still withholding judgement for the most part. Trailer has neither sold nor unsold me.

GB 2 starting with everyone down and out again was part of a weird trend in movies at the time. Rocky V started with Rocky losing everything and moving back to a cheap place in Philly, in Star Trek V they have a new ship but nothing works on it so they have to rely on stunts and fisticuffs, I seem to recall Arthur 2: On the Rocks being around this time, etc. It was like Hollywood was taking slight notice of the fact that not everyone was rich and the economy was starting to suck again and so on. (This was before the big stock market crash but after the S&L scandals IIRC.)

It ultimately rarely worked because while it keeps your characters "relatable" it also means the audience feels screwed out of whatever victories the characters earned.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xwing posted:

Come again? GB3?

The director and the screenwriter have both said it's a complete reboot and not a sequel:

Paul Feig posted:

We liked the idea that in today’s world there are all these ghost shows, Ghost Hunters and such, and you’re like, ‘Are they crazy?’ And so in our world today if a ghost appeared that would be a phenomenal event. It would be less if it were like, ‘Oh, yeah, that happened awhile ago.’

Katie Dippold posted:

One other reason to do it this way is today’s scientists don’t believe in the paranormal anymore. And so to say ghosts have existed for the past 30 years, it’s just a new world. In the original it’s so fun when the ghosts are unleashed on the city for the first time. It’s just such a fun thing. You don’t want to skip over it.
http://in.ign.com/movie/88802/preview/ghostbusters-watch-the-first-trailer-for-the-reboo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's actually empowering for a black character to be portrayed as a dimwitted, uncultured goof because

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Really liked the recut in here, and (thanks reddit i guess), I felt like this one made me way more excited too. Maybe its because it uses the original theme until the very end when you get the new mix to let you know there is something new here. Maybe its my pure nostalgia, but I had more fun with the theme rolling the whole time and less dialogue.

e: vvvv - I don't think trailers should really do much more than make you excited so I really don't want a trailer that tells me the whole movie like the more recent Batman vs Superman trailers. I want them to get me excited to see the film, the imagery was some good points, but the Sony trailer just feels flat.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 4, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, when you edit out most of the new movie, the new movie looks pretty tolerable.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I hope this will kind of end up being like the Simpsons Movie. All the promotional material for some reason featured literally the worst, broadest jokes from the film but there was a modest sigh of relief at the film's actual entertainment value when it came out.

I hope. :ohdear:

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

I wonder how many fancut trailers will be made before it just reverts back to the teaser trailer

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

It's actually empowering for a black character to be portrayed as a dimwitted, uncultured goof because

No but she's "practically" Winston so they did a great job with her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, when you edit out most of the new movie, the new movie looks pretty tolerable.

The pacing and music cues in the official trailer were poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The pacing and music cues in the official trailer were poo poo

That's to fit in with the movie, which is also, quite obviously, poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

steinrokkan posted:

It's a feature not a fault. It's thematic shittiness!!!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

i see you, too, are familiar with how movie trailers are made and how they are always pitch-perfect examples of the full movie

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Guys, I don't want to sound crazy here, but I'm starting to think the new Ghostbusters movie is gonna be a bad movie

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

xwing posted:

Come again? GB3?

Jesus loving Christ, JJ Abrams tells his cast to lie about Khan and now everyone is looking for conspiracy theories.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Waffles Inc. posted:

i see you, too, are familiar with how movie trailers are made and how they are always pitch-perfect examples of the full movie

You are right, I'll make sure to pay for tickets to this movie despite all the evidence of it being a trainwreck on the off chance it will not be awful.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Jesus loving Christ, JJ Abrams tells his cast to lie about Khan and now everyone is looking for conspiracy theories.

Nobody's saying the movie is secretly Ghostbusters 3, they're saying that Aykroyd is a goof.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Nobody's saying the movie is secretly Ghostbusters 3, they're saying that Aykroyd is a goof.

You're not reading the thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wait, so someone actually thinks the movie is going to feature an alternate universe storyline where the original Ghostbusters somehow get involved? I thought that was a sarcastic post.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Real talk: The Bobby Brown Ghostbusters song or the Run DMC Ghostbusters song?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Finally saw trailer.

Thought the jokes were cute and basically competent: Movie doesn't look like the best thing ever but most of the doomsaying and accusations of racism and stuff seem kind very hyperbolic.

Like I don't see the trailer as being good or bad, and I don't feel like I could judge the whole movie yet.
And I kind of actually like the cast. Black woman just seems normal and not stereotypical. I'd shout at a possessed person or about having a Cadillac.

If you sleep nightly with body pillows of the original cast you probably won't like this movie: Otherwise I don't feel like it can be judged. Won't be the instant classic the fish one was, but I don't think it looks terminator Genesis/robocop/total recall level bad (well I didn't like terminator-and please don't start yelling at me about that, every time I mention that someone starts crying like I killed their pets-but the others I'm just going off reviews and how it feels like they've been forgotten.)

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

"We are your friendly neighborhood Ghostbusters"
That's what they said to me
"We are the busters of any G H O S T"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Acne Rain posted:

but I don't think it looks terminator Genesis/robocop/total recall level bad (well I didn't like terminator-and please don't start yelling at me about that, every time I mention that someone starts crying like I killed their pets-but the others I'm just going off reviews and how it feels like they've been forgotten.)

Never bothered with Genisys, and Total Recall was bad, but at worst the RoboCop remake was an ambitious misfire. Casting was spot-on and it did exactly what a remake should do -- take the concept and spin it in a different direction.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

I ain't fraid of no sleep I ain't fraid of no bed

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Picklepuss posted:

"We are your friendly neighborhood Ghostbusters"
That's what they said to me
"We are the busters of any G H O S T"

Song ownz

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

steinrokkan posted:

You are right, I'll make sure to pay for tickets to this movie despite all the evidence of it being a trainwreck on the off chance it will not be awful.

Ah yes all evidence of it being a trainwreck like one single trailer good point, hmmm yes

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So, Extreme Ghostbusters is on Hulu now. And it is terrible. No way is the new movie this bad. So there's that.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Ah yes all evidence of it being a trainwreck like one single trailer good point, hmmm yes

Movie will be poo poo. A part of us all truly wants to agree with you but we're already reached the acceptance step instead of being stuck in denial.

AWW HELL NAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Don't forget that they cast ladies*.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Movie will be poo poo. A part of us all truly wants to agree with you but we're already reached the acceptance step instead of being stuck in denial.

AWW HELL NAW

This is like accepting that you have cancer after you've found a new mole on your arm but before you've made a doctor's appointment.

* NOT MY GHOSTBUSTERS!

• Locked thread