Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Set up fast, finish slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

Set up fast, finish slow.

Good advice for grappling and your love life.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Seltzer posted:

A few more questions. I already think I know the answer to both but whatever. First off, I've been really soft with my partners to not be that new guy who does something stupid but I was told at least once by my partner and instructor to go harder. I'm assuming people know well enough when to tap even if they're other white belts? I was doing my tosses with some of the force taken out and when we were drilling RNCs I was kinda not full forcing it. We also did some transition that required putting a lot of force on a grounded forearm to use as a lever and I didn't know how much to really drive in. I have no problem when other people toss me into the air or choke me hard but as I said I don't want to be that new guy loving up. Second question, I lift three times a week, it's a pretty basic set of routines I rotate every other few months on the advice of a friend who's a personal trainer but I was wondering if there were any lifts to add in take out that would help with bjj (the answer is probably as long as I'm doing normal lifts it should be enough I assume).

Reading between the lines, your instructor wants you to start incorporating bicep slicers into your armbar finishes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Rasslin Conference Tournaments are coming up this weekend!

Big Ten pre-seeds
ACC Pre-seeds
Midwest Athletic Conference Pre-Seeds
Southern Conference Pre-seeds
Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Pre-seeds
Eastern Wrestling League Pre-seeds

Pac-12 Tournament is already finished. Big XII hasn't released seeds yet.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Thoguh posted:

Good advice for grappling and your love life.
Just like my sex life, my grappling involves the element of surprise.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
My instructor let me roll with him today at the end and and then said I was a lot better and had way better instincts than most new white belts which was nice to hear. I even was allowed to even roll with my blue belt partner towards the end and somehow got side control after 4m 30s of getting crushed. So hopefully I'll be rolling regularly pretty soon. My last question is what should I be using in the shower after practice, defense soap is the one always reccomeneded but someone said head and shoulders has the same chemicals and is way cheaper or something?

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 4, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

My instructor let me roll with him today at the end and and then said I was a lot better and had way better instincts than most new white belts which was nice to hear. I even was allowed to even roll with my blue belt partner towards the end and somehow got side control after 4m 30s of getting crushed. So hopefully I'll be rolling regularly pretty soon. My last question is what should I be using in the shower after practice, defense soap is the one always reccomeneded but someone said head and shoulders has the same chemicals and is way cheaper or something?

(I've done actual research on this and talked to real life physicians after getting impetigo in the fall)

Defense soap is a tea tree oil soap with some various skin care products like jojoba in it. Most health food/product stores will sell "tea tree oil" bar soaps for like $1.50/bar, which is much cheaper than the branded "Grappling" soaps. Tea tree oil is good because it's a mild antifungal that has a low chance of causing irritation.

You don't even need that, though. What's key is that you're using a mild soap or body wash that does not contain triclosan or have any "antibacterial" label. That's about it. Find a plain soap that doesn't irritate your skin, try to stick to long-sleeved rashguards and/or pants, and never skip the post-roll shower. And use moisturizer, and put tape over any scratches or blemishes.

If you want more information and/or the rationales for these conclusions I can cnp a big effortpost that I wrote up and never actually posted.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why the no antibacterial?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:justpost:

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

CommonShore posted:

(I've done actual research on this and talked to real life physicians after getting impetigo in the fall)

Defense soap is a tea tree oil soap with some various skin care products like jojoba in it. Most health food/product stores will sell "tea tree oil" bar soaps for like $1.50/bar, which is much cheaper than the branded "Grappling" soaps. Tea tree oil is good because it's a mild antifungal that has a low chance of causing irritation.

You don't even need that, though. What's key is that you're using a mild soap or body wash that does not contain triclosan or have any "antibacterial" label. That's about it. Find a plain soap that doesn't irritate your skin, try to stick to long-sleeved rashguards and/or pants, and never skip the post-roll shower. And use moisturizer, and put tape over any scratches or blemishes.

If you want more information and/or the rationales for these conclusions I can cnp a big effortpost that I wrote up and never actually posted.

If you're showering do you really need rashguards all the time? Or is that just for abrasion protection

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The reduction in direct contact and reduced chance of abrasion make rashguards well worth it. Breaks in the skin are pathways for some horrible infections.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The breaks in the skin are the pathway for 99% of the infections. Effort post on the way: I just need to format it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How to Prevent Skin Infections in Grappling
a.k.a. “The Kooties Report”
By CommonShore
November 2015

CORE RECOMMENDATIONS
To prevent contracting and spreading BJJ-related skin infections research and medical professionals recommend and/or support the following measures:

• Always wear a clean long-sleeved rash guard and full-length spats or a gi with a rash guard underneath: One workout, one wash.
• Shower as soon as possible after every workout using a plain bar soap such as Ivory.
• Do not use soaps labelled “Antibacterial” or soaps which contain triclosan.
• Give extra cleaning attention to your hands, feet, neck, and any areas with gi burn, mat burn, or otherwise damaged skin: If at all possible, tape and/or bandage damaged skin.

For rationale, sources, and more detailed recommendations, read on.

ABOUT THIS REPORT
The information in this report was gathered from internet research and online discussions with experienced grapplers from multiple disciplines all over the world. Most importantly, the information in this report has been reviewed, edited, and endorsed by medical professionals.

THE OFFENDERS
Most grappling skin infections are from impetigo, staph, strep, or ringworm/athletes foot. The former three are bacterial infections; the latter is a general set of various fungal infections. The worst skin infection spread any kind of grappling is Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a treatment-resistant strain of staph that can lead to hospitalization.

All these can appear as scabby rashes which don’t heal well. They typically infect the body through scratched, dry, or otherwise damaged skin. In some cases the scab-rashes are diffuse “splatters” across a wide area of skin. In other cases they can be thick-growing and localized. Staph and strep are associated with a pimple-type lesion that oozes an amber-coloured fluid.

Action if infected
If you have been grappling and have these symptoms, stop going to practice and get to a doctor.

Warts are a viral infection and not a direct part of this report’s scope, though the core recommendation of “have good hygiene” still holds true.

THE TREATMENTS
Impetigo is the least serious of these bacterial infections. Treatment costs about $50, which covers a week of antibiotics and some hydrocortisone cream. More serious infections scale up in price from there. A bad staph infection can send you to the hospital.

Ringworm or the other fungal infections can be treated with a tube of Neosporin, or even with a bleach wash, but they can become chronic afflictions. Again, you’re best to see a doctor, because a misdiagnosis can cause problems.

In addition to the cost of medicine, secondary costs include lost training time for yourself and for anyone who contracts the infection from you.

PREVENTION
Preventative measures are superior to treatment. A grappler who is fastidious about his or her hygiene can go a lifetime without suffering any of these ailments.

Clothing
Proper grappling attire can do much to prevent infections by keeping your partner’s sweat off of your skin and by preventing scratches and contusions.

Try to always have your legs and arms covered when grappling. Wear full spats or gi pants on your legs. Wear either a long-sleeved rash guard or a short-sleeved rash guard under a gi. Do not reuse gear, because if you wear it again without washing it, you’re bringing the last workout’s microbes into the next one. Some of the busiest major dojos require that all students wear a clean gi with clean spats and a clean long-sleeved rash guard for every single class. This washing includes your belt.

A long-sleeved rash guard starts at about $50, which is coincidentally about the same price as a single treatment for impetigo, and it doesn’t include gross scabs.

Hygiene
Both medical professionals and microbiological researchers recommend “washing with plain old warm soap and water” to prevent the spread of disease. Shower as soon as possible after grappling. Staph populations, for example can double about every 20 minutes (A Microbiologist’s Take, 2011).

When showering, make sure to clean the whole body, with special attention to those areas which are not covered by the rash guard: neck, face, hands, and feet. The neck in particular is a danger area, as gi burn is most localized there. Men who shave have the additional risk factor of razor burn to damage the skin.

Soaps and Cleaners
Numerous products are marketed and/or recommended to grapplers. Here’s a rundown beginning with the most useful products:

Bar Soap is paramount. The plainest, cleanest, unscented bar soap that you can get your hands on is the best. The “mechanical action” of washing with soap does more to remove microbes than any reasonable kind of chemical treatment (A Microbiologist’s Take, 2011). Some people can get rashes and irritation from common soap additives such as colour and fragrance, which in turn can increase vulnerability to infection.

Some people have anxieties that bar soaps can become contaminated, but this is unlikely as those surfaces are not hospitable environments for bacteria.

Body Wash
is also a fine solution, so long as the bottles are not being refilled. A refill can contaminate liquid soaps.

Tea tree oil is somewhat effective for combating fungus. Good, simple soaps with high concentrations of tea tree oil are inexpensive. They can be found at places like health food stores. I buy mine at Bulk Barn for $2/bar. Note that it does nothing for staph and strep.

“Defense” brand soap is basically tea tree oil soap with a few extra skin care products mixed in, for $6/bar. There’s nothing wrong with it except the price.

Chlorhexidine is a different antibacterial agent, available over the counter. A bottle of liquid “Dexedine” cleaner costs about $6 at a pharmacy. This is a powerful substance used in all kinds of medical environments. Unlike triclosan (below), bacteria don’t become quickly resistant to chlorhexidine. It is actually something of an overkill substance, but it might be ok for use after tournaments or other really dirty experiences. It is harsh and can be overused, and irritation defeats the purpose. Chlorhexidine is not effective when mixed with other cleaning agents.

Avoid antibacterial soap
Do not use any soap labelled as “antibacterial” or which contains “triclosan.” Bacteria can adapt and become resistant to triclosan alarmingly fast.

Other Products
A few other products can be useful for maintaining healthy skin and preventing infections:

Polysporin is not a bad idea if you have a sore which you’re worried may be in the early stages of an infection. It isn’t a panacea, but it could conceivably prevent something.

General skin-care products are also good, because healthy skin is disease-resistant skin. A plain lotion such as Lubriderm (or the store brand) can help combat the side effects of multiple daily showers, which can in turn increase the risk of infection.

Antiseptic wet cloths or “benzo wipes” are a good idea if you can’t make it to a shower within a reasonable amount of time.

TEXTUAL REFERENCES
A Microbiologist’s Take on BJJ (September 7, 2012). Retrieved November 2, 2015, from http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.ca/2011/09/microbiologists-take-on-bjj.html
Chlorhexine, Dermatophytosis, Impetigo, and MRSA. Wikipedia. Retrieved November 2, 2015.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry that the formatting may suck. I wrote it in word using multi-level headers, and I can't get all of the BBcode stuff to work properly.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Taken from the denim dry selvage world regarding cleaning your gi (to eliminate odors and microbes)

If you don't have time to wash it between sessions (worried it might not dry in time, etc) place in freezer for a few hours.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

Taken from the denim dry selvage world regarding cleaning your gi (to eliminate odors and microbes)

If you don't have time to wash it between sessions (worried it might not dry in time, etc) place in freezer for a few hours.

Having lived in a place with very high humidity this sounds like just a good way to end up with an icicle for a gi

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Hope everybody is watching all the conference wrestling tournaments today. Because college wrestling owns. I'm at Big XIIs and already saw a top ten guy go down early.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Ringworm or the other fungal infections can be treated with a tube of Neosporin, or even with a bleach wash, but they can become chronic afflictions. Again, you’re best to see a doctor, because a misdiagnosis can cause problems.

Just to add, I've gotten ringworm a couple of times and used Lamisil cream -- It clears that poo poo right up. You can get it over the counter in the US, though unfortunately in Canada you need a prescription.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

colonel_korn posted:

Just to add, I've gotten ringworm a couple of times and used Lamisil cream -- It clears that poo poo right up. You can get it over the counter in the US, though unfortunately in Canada you need a prescription.

Really? That's weird since Canada sells 2% Nizoral over the counter (the only topical stuff that'll get ringworm out of your hair or beard) and the US requires a prescription. I always assumed they were just more lax in general.

I stocked up last time I was in Canada because I'm a fungus hypochondriac.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Now I'm super paranoid. Do most people here wear a full rashguard under their gi? I've been rolling in boxers an undershirt under my gi. I thought showering thoroughly and staying up on gi cleaning was enough. Also Commonshore do you have a brandname for that soap? I might just order some bulk off amazon if they have it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Full body compression top & bottoms. Sometimes I wear compression shorts instead of long shorts. That's not so bad eh?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Now I'm super paranoid. Do most people here wear a full rashguard under their gi? I've been rolling in boxers an undershirt under my gi. I thought showering thoroughly and staying up on gi cleaning was enough. Also Commonshore do you have a brandname for that soap? I might just order some bulk off amazon if they have it.

You dont have to be as OCD as lots of bjj guys are with no skin exposed and all that poo poo if you dont want to, if you train at a relatively clean gym and you wash your gi and shower thoroughly after you will be fine. Also the takeaway from Commonshores thing is that you dont need any fancy soap, Ivory is just brand name normal soap, the mechanical action of scrubbing your body and the emulsifying effect of the soap is better for killing microbes than anti-bacterial soap and has the added bonus that it doesnt cause antibacterial resistant strains to evolve

Wear whatever you want really, at more old school gyms they wont want you to wear stuff under your gi, i dont like it when guys wear a loose tshirt or whatever under their gi because a) theres not really a point, b) it looks corny as poo poo, and c) you can get your fingers caught on the loose material when you go for lapel and collar grips and stuff

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

manyak posted:

You dont have to be as OCD as lots of bjj guys are with no skin exposed and all that poo poo if you dont want to, if you train at a relatively clean gym and you wash your gi and shower thoroughly after you will be fine. Also the takeaway from Commonshores thing is that you dont need any fancy soap, Ivory is just brand name normal soap, the mechanical action of scrubbing your body and the emulsifying effect of the soap is better for killing microbes than anti-bacterial soap and has the added bonus that it doesnt cause antibacterial resistant strains to evolve

Wear whatever you want really, at more old school gyms they wont want you to wear stuff under your gi, i dont like it when guys wear a loose tshirt or whatever under their gi because a) theres not really a point, b) it looks corny as poo poo, and c) you can get your fingers caught on the loose material when you go for lapel and collar grips and stuff

Ok, yea my gym seems pretty drat clean and the people I've met so far all have good hygiene. As for the soap commonshore mentioned a cheap soap with the tea tree oil but didn't give a name, I wasn't referencing ivory. I've not worn anything loose because as you said it would be clumsy and also look goofy. Just a tight white undershirt for now.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 5, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I've been training since 2002 and I've only gotten ringworm once and skin infections twice. It's something you'll probably have to deal with eventually if you train for a long time, but if you and the gym you train at are clean it's not something you should be experiencing frequently.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've only gotten ringworm once in 4 years of training and it was from a tournament. I competed in the morning but was there all day for everybody else's matches, didn't shower until like 10 hours after. Now I bring wipes and stuff with me to use if I won't be able to shower right away.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm pretty stoked about CommonShore's finding with regards to covering yourself head to toe in spandex. The next person at the gym to tell me "it doesn't matter since sweat gets through anyway" is getting an earful.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Watching the gradual transition of standard no-gi grappler attire from "semi-pro surfer" towards "full zentai suit" has been interesting.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I like the rainbow tights because I enjoy emasculating bros.

"A man in tights is sitting on my head. This is not what I wanted"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well after the fights tonight I hope we start training RNC.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Should've already been

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I've been training for about 6 weeks now maybe a little less... But in the past week or two every day I wake up my fingers are super stiff / sore. After about 5-10 min of being up they're fine though for the rest of the day.

Anyone else have that problem? Looks like I might be gripping too hard - I'll try to stop that. Otherwise anyone have any remedies / advice?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My takeaway was that it's not just that tights look cool, they're also functional. I'm really pissed off at the selection of mens spats available, fabric-wise. Womens' tights get all the cool fabrics, and I'm stuck looking at racks of superhero branded stuff and orange camo. What the gently caress is orange camo good for? Hiding in a hunting store? I want purple and rainbows and damask patterns.

Anyway, it's the "keep skin healthy" that's key. The time I got an infection it came in through a burn scab on my forearm, and through razor burn on my neck, and so it was growing on me in two places at once. I guess I could add a paragraph to the whole thing about "shave after BJJ, not before." Overall I tend to go long sleeves/legs+shorts or gi pants, or short sleeves under the gi, though I wear the full gi more at judo than at bjj, and judo involves way less sweat transfer.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

CommonShore posted:

My takeaway was that it's not just that tights look cool, they're also functional. I'm really pissed off at the selection of mens spats available, fabric-wise. Womens' tights get all the cool fabrics, and I'm stuck looking at racks of superhero branded stuff and orange camo. What the gently caress is orange camo good for? Hiding in a hunting store? I want purple and rainbows and damask patterns.

Anyway, it's the "keep skin healthy" that's key. The time I got an infection it came in through a burn scab on my forearm, and through razor burn on my neck, and so it was growing on me in two places at once. I guess I could add a paragraph to the whole thing about "shave after BJJ, not before." Overall I tend to go long sleeves/legs+shorts or gi pants, or short sleeves under the gi, though I wear the full gi more at judo than at bjj, and judo involves way less sweat transfer.

Or don't shave :wookie:

But then enjoy people trying to rip your beard out while they are attacking your neck.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I asked this earlier but any specific lifting advice? Also I have long limbs but poor flexibility, will rolling help with that or should I look into outside exercise to do something about it?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The interview Iowa's 184 pounder gave after winning a Big Ten championship yesterday was pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1qCYhjRX94

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

CommonShore posted:

Under Armour and Nike (under the Pro Combat line) have good men's tights.

Seltzer posted:

I asked this earlier but any specific lifting advice? Also I have long limbs but poor flexibility, will rolling help with that or should I look into outside exercise to do something about it?

Are you talking about weight lifting? I have a book titled "Becoming a Supple Leopard" and it has a bunch of mobility exercises you can do which should help with flexibility.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vomik posted:

I've been training for about 6 weeks now maybe a little less... But in the past week or two every day I wake up my fingers are super stiff / sore. After about 5-10 min of being up they're fine though for the rest of the day.

Anyone else have that problem? Looks like I might be gripping too hard - I'll try to stop that. Otherwise anyone have any remedies / advice?

Es normal
Were you doing spider guard by any chance? Yeah grip less with your fingers, more with your arms. Someone at class can show you how. Make sure you're getting the correct grips (pistol, pocket etc). Your fingers will get used to it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I suffered the scariest injury of my BJJ life today. I was left blind in one eye after a choke. In training, I got a lot of chokes thrown on me. Some I defended easily. Others I tapped to. I was never anywhere close to going unconscious. Just a typical day of training. During cool down I was resting on the mat and my visions had bright streaks and was blurry. Then suddenly I was blind in my left eye. Initially, I thought maybe I had detached my retina but I was never eye poked or eye gouged. After about 15-30 minutes, my vision returned. I spoke to some people including an eye surgeon. It was compression of the opthalmic artery which is the first artery that branches off your carotid which starved my retina of blood. Even though my brain was fine my retina wasn't getting oxygen. Somehow my artery stayed compressed after release of the choke. I didn't have any stroke symptoms: no weakness, confusion, aphasia, headache so the compression wasn't lower on the carotid. It was very specifically the opthalmic artery. Thank god it wasn't a carotid dissection which would be potentially fatal.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

I suffered the scariest injury of my BJJ life today. I was left blind in one eye after a choke. In training, I got a lot of chokes thrown on me. Some I defended easily. Others I tapped to. I was never anywhere close to going unconscious. Just a typical day of training. During cool down I was resting on the mat and my visions had bright streaks and was blurry. Then suddenly I was blind in my left eye. Initially, I thought maybe I had detached my retina but I was never eye poked or eye gouged. After about 15-30 minutes, my vision returned. I spoke to some people including an eye surgeon. It was compression of the opthalmic artery which is the first artery that branches off your carotid which starved my retina of blood. Even though my brain was fine my retina wasn't getting oxygen. Somehow my artery stayed compressed after release of the choke. I didn't have any stroke symptoms: no weakness, confusion, aphasia, headache so the compression wasn't lower on the carotid. It was very specifically the opthalmic artery. Thank god it wasn't a carotid dissection which would be potentially fatal.

:stare:

That is horrifying and now I'm feeling pretty good about getting takeout Indian food tonight instead of going to train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Pink shorts and purple/green/yellow spatz used to be my no gi standard. Shame they wore out and you can't find mens pink shorts anymore :(

1st AD posted:

Under Armour and Nike (under the Pro Combat line) have good men's tights.

I find the nike stuff doesn't breath as well as the hyabusa one I normally wear under my gi top. If you're just rockin the rash guard for no gi the nike stuff is great.

Tripling down on the spatz for no gi and a gi shirt for gi. I had a staph infection from when I did a lot of No gi grappling just wearing grappling shorts, a bit of irritation lead to an ingrown hair which lead to staph. It's really not fun, 2 weeks in and out of doctors surgeries, people having to "express" the wound and then pack it with wadding. I used to think "seeing stars" was some kind of cliche bullshit till I had a crusty old battle axe of a nurse stuff a piece of wadding the size of a tissue into my calf muscle. Crawling down the hallway to piss in the middle of the night because my leg felt like it was on fire, gently caress, just don't take the risk, buy some spatz.