Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Oberleutnant posted:

It's amazing to me that a country like America can have a multiple mass murders a year

"Multiple a year" is understating the situation dramatically. In February, the number of mass shootings was approximately one a day (with 5 on the 20th alone).

Renaissance Robot posted:

Speaking of guns, how dumb would it be to start a discussion in here on the subject "I want to see a review of gun law because I'd quite like to try the olympic sport of pistol shooting without having to leave the country to do so"?

Pretty dumb as you can "try the olympic sport of pistol shooting" just fine in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Got a link on a good, detailed crit of the Nordic model?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

winegums posted:

This is one of those issues I go back and forth on. Ideally it should be legal because in an ideal world it's a victimless transaction. However even if it's legal and regulated and cleaned up, there'd still be people trafficking and exploitation. I think decriminalising prostitution is a good idea because it places the burden of crime on the punters.

The biggest problem with full legalisation is that in the darkest timeline IDS sends young women to be workfare prostitutes if they can't find work in shops.

The trouble is when buying sex is a crime, the only people doing it are those who are willing to break the law, and don't want to be caught. So sex workers can't operate in the open, they still have to move underground, and that rewards criminal gangs who control access and guarantee discretion - sex dealers, if you like. And that's obviously a very coercive environment to be working in, with clients who are more likely to be dangerous or demanding

There are lots of people who are coerced into sex work one way or another, either because someone has control over them or because circumstances like poverty mean they have no other choice. Making sex work legal but the purchase illegal does nothing to help those people escape their situation, more likely the opposite. And of course it makes things worse for the people who choose to do it

IDS is a separate issue, there's already legal sex work like working in strip clubs that people have been 'encouraged' to take up. Legality shouldn't decide what's acceptable to push people into, that's already a problem in itself

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pretty dumb as you can "try the olympic sport of pistol shooting" just fine in the UK.
Not according to the actual criteria laid out for the Olympic sport of pistol shooting you can't.

Darth Walrus posted:

Got a link on a good, detailed crit of the Nordic model?
Coohoolin actually does have a well sourced and cited criticism of the failures of the Nordic model compared to the decrim model positioned by Germany and others. I don't know if he has it anywhere public though.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Give me a crossbow and explosive chemicals and I'll be sure to make it a modern repeating crossbow that shoots out arrow bombs.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut posted:

Not according to the actual criteria laid out for the Olympic sport of pistol shooting you can't.

Coohoolin actually does have a well sourced and cited criticism of the failures of the Nordic model compared to the decrim model positioned by Germany and others. I don't know if he has it anywhere public though.

I'm chuffed you remembered! I've got it on my laptop still, can email it to anyone who's interested.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Milotic posted:

FT is claiming Osborne has scrapped the biggest part of his planned changes for pension: FT paywall. No changes to tax relief in the budget.

I'm pleased for two reasons, 1) I'm a selfish bastard and I would have likely been worse off, 2) it probably would have reduced pension savings - would you trust a future government not to also tax your pension when you use it as well as when you contributed towards it? I wouldn't, and I suspect a lot of people wouldn't. Certainly not amongst our generation, we're too used to the idea of being stuffed over in order to prop up the previous generation.

He's done this will the past several budgets, where he announces something that gets the Telegraph reading crowd in a tizz because it targets the Tory voter demographic. Then it miraculously gets dropped so he can reference that it was dropped during the statement to the house and make the rest of it not look so bad.

I wonder what shaftings will get an easy ride in the press this time around.....

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

So hey I just got sacked from my new job! No real reason because they take everyone on probation for essentially the whole first year and then ... it's pretty much right to work if you are on probation. I had some disagreements with one of my coworkers, but it would have been nice if they'd let me (or anyone else) know beforehand or given a chance to be more careful or something. Oh well. Capitalism.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Coohoolin posted:

I'm chuffed you remembered! I've got it on my laptop still, can email it to anyone who's interested.

Yes please! Email in the babby marxism thread.

Private Speech posted:

So hey I just got sacked from my new job! No real reason because they take everyone on probation for essentially the whole first year and then ... it's pretty much right to work if you are on probation. I had some disagreements with one of my coworkers, but it would have been nice if they'd let me (or anyone else) know beforehand or given a chance to be more careful or something. Oh well. Capitalism.

That loving sucks. Condolences. Hope you find a less lovely job soon.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

twoot posted:

He's done this will the past several budgets, where he announces something that gets the Telegraph reading crowd in a tizz because it targets the Tory voter demographic. Then it miraculously gets dropped so he can reference that it was dropped during the statement to the house and make the rest of it not look so bad.

I wonder what shaftings will get an easy ride in the press this time around.....

Have you any specific examples out of curiosity. I'd argue the tax credits u turn probably wasn't the core Tory base, more the people who want to be Tories. Though it does help with making a show of unity and compromise in the run up to the referendum. So you could well be right, but it is also aimed at the Brexit MPs as well.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Milotic posted:

Have you any specific examples out of curiosity. I'd argue the tax credits u turn probably wasn't the core Tory base, more the people who want to be Tories. Though it does help with making a show of unity and compromise in the run up to the referendum. So you could well be right, but it is also aimed at the Brexit MPs as well.

This maybe? Budget 2011: Sighs of relief as George Osborne goes easy on non-doms

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Private Speech posted:

Where are you located and what sector do you work in?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
re: reparations

dependency theory is sketchy even as applied in the long 19th century; in the postwar era it is implausible. Poor countries are not principally poor because of extractive transfers. Rich countries are not principally rich because of extractive transfers. Colonialism, in the context of the British South Asian adventure, was largely a project for the benefit of a British (esp Scottish!) officer class and a variety of local partners, rather than Britain writ large. Britain did not dispose of empire because of a sudden terminal case of morality, but postwar mass democracy at home could veto its enormous expense - but it had never been anything but expensive. Ironically, this is a case where you can do better by looking at class subsuming national boundaries, rather than by national identities alone.

One can still have reparations without a notion of 'undoing' wealth extraction, of course (e.g., war reparations). But the politics of reparations is particularly noxious half a century after the end of empire, in no small part because by assumption it is to be undertaken with the cooperation and support of the host government. And yet any mainstream party that is banging the drum about reparations is doing so by emphasizing old grievances and linking these to the remaining traces of Western influence, which in TYOOL 2016, is dominated by non-traditional roles for women, secular government, the persistence of ethnic minorities that prefer English as the common language of government and commerce, etc - the erosion of bargains that were forged during the heady days of early independence. Recognize that for the first time in a very long time, the metropole in London is not the primary intended audience of such political theater.

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 5, 2016

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

ronya posted:

dependency theory is sketchy even as applied in the long 19th century; in the postwar era it is implausible. Poor countries are not principally poor because of extractive transfers. Rich countries are not principally rich because of extractive transfers.

So if I engage in an activity that has two negative effects I can claim that overall it isn't negative because I can point to one of the effects and argue that it wasn't the principle cause of my targets misery?

Economists have a strange way of reasoning about things.

E: pedantry

dispatch_async fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 5, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Do you know what 'principally' means?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/04/ed-miliband-praised-after-giving-a-rough-sleeper-10

quote:

Former Labour leader Ed Miliband has been praised for setting a good example after he was filmed giving a rough sleeper a £10 note.

Miliband handed over the money outside Kentish Town tube station in north London, where the young man was begging.

A video of the incident was circulated on Facebook by 18-year-old Rob Braban. He said he and his friends asked Miliband to make the contribution after they had bought food and water for the man.

“You’re a good man, Ed,” Braban is heard telling Miliband after the former Labour leader made the donation.

In a Facebook posting sharing the video he said: “I think Ed is setting a good example here for other MPs and human beings to follow. Share this around to show that common decency goes a long way.”

But Ed, isn't giving that man money encouraging the evils of idleness and dependency, something that greatly concerned you as Labour leader?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080776/Now-Ed-Miliband-gets-tough-onslaught-evil-benefits-scroungers.html

quote:

Mr Miliband’s somersault on benefits will be signalled in a speech later this month by Labour welfare spokesman Liam Byrne to mark the 70th anniversary of the Beveridge Report.

The report was used by post-war Labour Prime Minister Clement Attlee to lay the foundations of the modern welfare state – and helped earn him a hallowed place in Labour history.

But Mr Byrne thinks Beveridge would ‘turn in his grave’ if he knew how billions of pounds of benefits fall into the hands of lifelong spongers.

He will argue that widespread benefits abuse flies in the face of one of the ‘five giant evils’ identified by Beveridge: idleness.

Mr Byrne believes there is a new ‘giant evil’ – the evil of benefits dependency.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Speaking of guns, how dumb would it be to start a discussion in here on the subject "I want to see a review of gun law because I'd quite like to try the olympic sport of pistol shooting without having to leave the country to do so"?

I don't think it's a bad discussion, I just don't really see a decent way of regulating/re-introducing it, and there really isn't a large group of people/lobbying group for it. I guess a possible way would be to have a few ranges where the range owns the guns and they never leave the premises, but then you run the risk of theft, or someone going to use the range and shooting people there and escaping with guns/ammunition. Anecdotally, the only people I have seen agitating or trying to organise campaigns for widespread handgun ownership on various gun forums are the same people talking about defending themselves from "goblins" or "ferals". Yeah, not the people you want with access to a slingshot, let alone a revolver. The shooting community in the UK is largely not these people, mainly farmers or pest control people who see and use firearms as tools, but the idiots are very vocal.

Want to shoot target pistol? Try a half decent airpistol and see if you enjoy that- it's pretty fun and surprisingly accurate once you get the hang of it, and if you enjoy it a lot there are clubs that do regional and national competitions. I never got into that side of things, but have had some great times shooting target with a few friends- you can also shoot all day long for a quid or two's worth of pellets, actual firearm ammunition is bloody expensive.

Milotic posted:

A pistol does not really have agricultural uses

Actually, one of the few ways to legally own a handgun in the UK is to be a vet who uses them for humanely dispatching wounded animals in the field. Handguns aren't de jure banned in the UK, it's just so hard to get the appropriate licence that they might as well be (a section 5 licence, which covers handguns, has to be signed off by the home secretary).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Guavanaut posted:

this would surprise me

research on outcomes here have been very spotty. sex workers don't like it, and report that they don't like it in surveys. according to the norwegian processing of the norwegian implementation of the law, most effects are not statistically significant, but they conclude that criminalising sex purchase has reduced demand for prostitution by something like 25%, which obviously puts the mostly self-employed sex workers in a relatively precarious situation. the norwegian report has not found any reason to believe claims of increased violence or access to health services, nor claims that it's significantly impacted trafficking.

most arguments cited as evidence against the model are typically based on surveys among sex workers, who obviously are opposed to a measure reducing the demand of the service they provide. they are a relevant group, but they have a very clear pecuniary interest in responding to such evaluations, and this must be kept in mind when considering their evaluation of such a law.

most support of the nordic model is framed in terms of opposing sex as a commodity, the notorious skeeviness of brothels as a line of business (health and safety issues abound, and german brothels are perceived as very unpleasant employers) and the desire to socially reduce the acceptability of purchasing sex period for various reasons. citing the model as a "success" or "failure" requires one to clearly define the criteria one is using to define those terms; to most of the scandinavian left-wing feminist movement, reducing the amount of sex purchase in society is a good in itself for reasons previously outlined, and the law is thus a success

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Have you considered making a google docs account or something for all your essays? You seem to be handing them out via email in various threads pretty frequently, it might be easier for you to just shove them somewhere.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I know where he can shove them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I don't think they'll fit up your urethra 'Flaps, not that I want to kinkshame.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I know where he can shove them.

Up yer auld da's farter?

https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/status/137492580530274304?s=09

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

She's beaten her hubbie, Ed "Ed Balls" Balls for best tweet by a Labour MP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

this would surprise me

research on outcomes here have been very spotty. sex workers don't like it, and report that they don't like it in surveys.
Does anyone else really matter when the legislation is pertaining to sex work? If the actual people who are to be affected don't like it, but a bunch of moralistic Victorian Tories, transphobic feminists, and Guardian liberals who will not be affected in the slightest by the legislation love it, that makes it a bad law.

Most sensible thing I've seen Cooper say in the past few years.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
All work is exploitation, it's just sex work is much better paid and far less degrading than most.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Coohoolin posted:

Have you still got my email? I'd like to take a look.

pro-tweet

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

dispatch_async posted:

So if I engage in an activity that has two negative effects I can claim that overall it isn't negative because I can point to one of the effects and argue that it wasn't the principle cause of my targets misery?

Economists have a strange way of reasoning about things.

E: pedantry

You would have to prove its negativity. In the context of India this is particularly tricky, because you would have to reconcile the traditional nationalist narrative of the baleful 19th century trade surplus with the contemporary preference for such surpluses. That's not conceptually difficult, but most straightforward explanations discard the idea of the extractive surplus (e.g., arguing that the surplus was actually negligible (!) but saying that the Raj failed to sufficiently invest in infrastructure, squandered local taxes, didn't tax enough, etc). Then it's no longer a negative effect to begin with.

And if it's not negative, then the notion of an Elgin-Marble-esque reverse transfer of the stolen goods isn't applicable either. One could still talk about reparations, etc etc but it would be about the moral sins of governments rather than about trade accounts, and believe me, in South Asia that's not even a can of worms, it's a dimension door to the vermean plane.

Gonzo McFee posted:

All work is exploitation, it's just sex work is much better paid and far less degrading than most.

realtalk: don't crack these kinds of jokes in an actual Labour/Socialist/whatever meeting, it's incredibly skeevy

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 5, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
outsource workfare to India

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

Most sensible thing I've seen Cooper say in the past few years.
Like Ed Balls she's been taking the Twitter response in good humour at least.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ronya posted:

realtalk: don't crack these kinds of jokes in an actual Labour/Socialist/whatever meeting, it's incredibly skeevy

£70 for 30 min work, dude. I get paid less than that for an eight hour day.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Is that how much a prostitute is? I couldn't even guess a ballpark figure. I guess you're assuming that they get to keep the money and it isn't all taken by some pimp though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

StoneOfShame posted:

Is that how much a prostitute is? I couldn't even guess a ballpark figure.

I'd assume it varies from a fiver to £10k+ depending on who and what.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah but how much of it goes to your pimp?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Gonzo McFee posted:

labour supply in this industry is not really constrained by capability or labour-hour availability, obviously

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

StoneOfShame posted:

Is that how much a prostitute is? I couldn't even guess a ballpark figure. I guess you're assuming that they get to keep the money and it isn't all taken by some pimp though.

A friend of mine is an escort and sex-line worker at the moment to help fund her uni studies. She gets £150 an hour for the escorting plus 30p per sex text and she sends hundreds of those every day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

labour supply in this industry is not really constrained by capability or labour-hour availability, obviously
That's actually one of the reasons that the French conservatives in the early 20th century were against sex work.
Women were earning far more than men, enough to support themselves without a husband, and some of them were even turning to feminism :monocle:

e: obvs that was before second wavers started arguing that they should be murdered.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mowglis Haircut posted:

She gets £150 an hour for the escorting plus 30p per sex text and she sends hundreds of those every day.

Christ that must get dull. Can she not just make a few hundred templates to send?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mowglis Haircut posted:

A friend of mine is an escort and sex-line worker at the moment to help fund her uni studies. She gets £150 an hour for the escorting plus 30p per sex text and she sends hundreds of those every day.

It still shocks me that people are paying to sext someone when there's so many other ways to get their jollies. But then hey, I've never considered soliciting from the sex work industry.

Selling myself in it, however? :getin:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

a glitch posted:

Yeah but how much of it goes to your pimp?

That's not the sex work that people want to decriminalise, in fact part of the decriminalisation of sex work is to focus police resorces on sex trafficking and forced prostitution as well as granting better protection for those who go into the industry of their own free will.

StoneOfShame posted:

"Yer posh if ye dinnae ken a prostitute" - A wise man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
So are there many issues with the current legal status of prostitution in Britain is the problem with solicitation being illegal as it gives the police a good excuse to harass prostitutes? Also if brothels are illegal how the gently caress are there 3 that immediately spring to mind that are pretty blatant about advertising themselves as such in the parts of Birmingham I tend to travel through?

• Locked thread