Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rahtas posted:

The ones I love or dark souls?

You know what the proper answer is, in your heart of hearts.
daaaaark souuuuuls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Whats the cheapest way I can preorder this

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Edit. On PC

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

8% off on Steam if you own Dark Souls and Dark Souls II is it, I think

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

Don't watch any videos but especially don't watch Vaati's stuff is what I have gathered based on comments here (because I am not touching the videos beyond the ~30m of Lobos I watched).

Yeah I want to go in as blind as possible. Don't care about game mechanics but definitely don't want to spoil myself on cool locations and fights.

Plus the one thing I really wanted to know got answered anyways. Darkwraiths are back baby!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

drat when's Green Man Gaming gonna come through.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So I've somehow remained completely ignorant of this entire game until about a week ago. For someone that LOVES spoilers, where do I go? Vaati?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Concurred posted:

8% off on Steam if you own Dark Souls and Dark Souls II is it, I think

6% if you include the DLC!

It's just 5bux off both ways.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

GodspeedSphere posted:

So I've somehow remained completely ignorant of this entire game until about a week ago. For someone that LOVES spoilers, where do I go? Vaati?

And PlayStation Access, Peeveperson, LobosJr, and Spoiler warning, do not even read the mouse-over link to this URL < that article right there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GodspeedSphere posted:

Yeah. He's got three videos of what he played through and they're really good/cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Too many spoilers. Souls is best as blind as possible.

I don't mind mechanics at all so I've been reading those spoil tagged things and taking part, but I want to know as little about the levels and bosses as possible.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Dark souls 3 pre-order is 20% off on this retailer. Never heard of them before but they look legit enough.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trick Question posted:

Dark souls 3 pre-order is 20% off on this retailer. Never heard of them before but they look legit enough.

I've pre-ordered stuff from them before, they're fine.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I've pre-ordered stuff from them before, they're fine.

Cool.

By the way, I haven't really been keeping up with the previews/spoilers, so how's performance looking on this one? I run 2 fine, but my processor is getting pretty old and Dark Souls 1 chugs sometimes.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

cdkeys.com have it for £29.99, I'll likely order from them as I got fallout 4 and xcom 2 from them as well and never had any trouble.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trick Question posted:

Cool.

By the way, I haven't really been keeping up with the previews/spoilers, so how's performance looking on this one? I run 2 fine, but my processor is getting pretty old and Dark Souls 1 chugs sometimes.

The minimum specs for Dks3 are the recommended specs for SotFS (plus some ram I think) so if those are true (they seem a bit low to me given how much better Dks3 looks but maybe they just optimized it really well or something) and you can SotFS at 1080p60 then you're probably good to run Dks3 at 1080p30-ish.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Genocyber posted:

The minimum specs for Dks3 are the recommended specs for SotFS (plus some ram I think) so if those are true (they seem a bit low to me given how much better Dks3 looks but maybe they just optimized it really well or something) and you can SotFS at 1080p60 then you're probably good to run Dks3 at 1080p30-ish.

Good to know. RIP, money.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genocyber posted:

I think its less optimized and more just scaled. DS3 on min settings probably won't look a ton better than SOTFS DS2, but DS3 on max settings will look like BB.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Frankston posted:

cdkeys.com have it for £29.99, I'll likely order from them as I got fallout 4 and xcom 2 from them as well and never had any trouble.

cdkeys.com hosed me on a year of Xbox Live that I bought before Xmas and ended up spending 2 months fighting with them/their third party payment company to get remedied when the stolen code they gave me was 'already used'. They sell stolen/grey market codes, this is how they get the discounts.

They eventually fixed it, but not before I spent way more effort than the $20 saved was worth (and I had to buy the year of Live somewhere else in the interim) so ended up spending $100 on 2 years of live instead of $40 on one year. I've had worse experiences, but I won't shop with them again.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Funstock is legit tho

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Interrupting the Dark Souls 3 spoiler hype for a second, but I got the Dark Souls 2 Design Works today and it is surprising in how much better it is than the first. I like how there are little comments on some of the concept art to talk about things like how the design changed since they started. It makes me really excited for when the Bloodborne Design Works comes out and for the inevitable Dark Souls 3 Design Works.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Did they mention the framerate thing for PC? I was surprised to hear that the consoles were running at 30 after Scholar. Is that only the consoles, and the PC can still do 60?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nakar posted:

Did they mention the framerate thing for PC? I was surprised to hear that the consoles were running at 30 after Scholar. Is that only the consoles, and the PC can still do 60?

Peeve said they didn't get an answer when they asked at the event. But DS2 PC was 60fps so I don't see why DS3 wouldn't be.

EDIT: For those wanting to pick the Thief class you should probably plan on getting a secondary weapon to use alongside the bandit knife. Peeve had a lot of trouble with bosses using it.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 5, 2016

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Well my 360 controller just poo poo the bed. At least now is better than april 10th I guess. I hear great things about the dualshock 4 on PC, is it worth the price over just buying another 360? How is the steam controller?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Giant Isopod posted:

Well my 360 controller just poo poo the bed. At least now is better than april 10th I guess. I hear great things about the dualshock 4 on PC, is it worth the price over just buying another 360? How is the steam controller?

I am also interested if anyone has tried Souls on Steam Controller. I picked one up when it was 40% off with XCOM2. I've got a 360 controller laying around somewhere, but..

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Giant Isopod posted:

I actually just got a steam controller today, still getting used it to. Ds2 felt great with it though and a custom config. Ds1 doesnt feel as great but its still okay and that isnt the controllers fault, its more the way from did ds1 port and its mouse control.

That said im still getting used it on other games, bought it along with xcom2 due the deal and how it officially supports it but the hour i just spent on it was bad for that.

Whats good about the ds2 config i used was that it had dodge/run doubled up on the grip button and walk forward on the other, making using the camera and, running away and changing up items a loving breeze. You can also set any button to any key so goodbye xpadder, i was able to set up some dsfix hotkeys in ds1 for hiding the hud on the fly and that kinda thing too.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 5, 2016

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Vikar Jerome posted:

I actually just got a steam controller today, still getting used it to. Ds2 felt great with it though and a custom config. Ds1 doesnt feel as great but its still okay and that isnt the controllers fault, its more the way from did ds1 port and its mouse control.

That said im still getting used it on other games, bought it along with xcom2 due the deal and how it officially supports it but the hour i just spent on it was bad for that.

Whats good about the ds2 config i used was that it had dodge/run doubled up on the grip button and walk forward on the other, making using the camera and, running away and changing up items a loving breeze. You can also set any button to any key so goodbye xpadder, i was able to set up some dsfix hotkeys in ds1 for hiding the hud on the fly and that kinda thing too.

Getting the camera to feel right is the biggest issue I had with it (in every game), crank up the in game camera sensitivity and set the right pad to mouse joystick. Also setting the right back paddle to be your run button is pretty much the greatest thing ever.
Oh, I'd recommend setting your dpad to have no overlap or you will end up changing weapon at the same time you try and swap your hotbar items every time.
Keep meaning to try out having the soft pull on the left trigger be shield raise and have the full click be bash/parry.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

The steam controller is kinda cool, but definitely not a general purpose controller replacement. I still use my ds4 for a majority of controller games. It's probably one of the best pieces of hardware I've picked up in a long time. The d pad isn't made of old teabags and it won't develop stick drift like an xbox controller. I'd recommend just dropping the extra money on a dual shock since you'll probably just have to buy another xbox one eventually when the sticks turn to crap.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Huge Obamacare Fan posted:

The steam controller is kinda cool, but definitely not a general purpose controller replacement. I still use my ds4 for a majority of controller games. It's probably one of the best pieces of hardware I've picked up in a long time. The d pad isn't made of old teabags and it won't develop stick drift like an xbox controller. I'd recommend just dropping the extra money on a dual shock since you'll probably just have to buy another xbox one eventually when the sticks turn to crap.

It takes some getting used to but once the learning curve crested it's a great but of kit, though not for everyone. It's dark souls in hardware form.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Shannow posted:

It takes some getting used to but once the learning curve crested it's a great but of kit, though not for everyone. It's dark souls in hardware form.

I agree in a lot of ways, but just think it's a bit niche for a full controller replacement. Some games just really need a solid d pad.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

That said, I'm super curious to try it with souls now, any recommended community presets?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Any wiki to see pictures of weapons/spells/items that people already showed in the videos ?

vvv

MrLonghair posted:

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/ just updated to get up to speed on unveilings, otherwise I recommend to dig around https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/, lost track of one from earlier today that had three albums of loadscreen items and more

e: oh here's the one I had in mind https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/48wzfo/dark_souls_iii_item_descriptions_from_the_recent/
Thanks ! :)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 5, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Any wiki to see pictures of weapons/spells/items that people already showed in the videos ?

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/ just updated to get up to speed on unveilings, otherwise I recommend to dig around https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/, lost track of one from earlier today that had three albums of loadscreen items and more

e: oh here's the one I had in mind https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/48wzfo/dark_souls_iii_item_descriptions_from_the_recent/

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 5, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Trick Question posted:

Awwww jesus, this is ~$45 USD right now.
Must resist... :byodood:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Andrigaar posted:

Awwww jesus, this is ~$45 USD right now.
Must resist... :byodood:

Just go and buy it. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what gamers do! You'll get used to it...

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

MrLonghair posted:

And PlayStation Access, Peeveperson, LobosJr, and Spoiler warning, do not even read the mouse-over link to this URL < that article right there.

Solaire's armor? PRAISE THE SUN!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Thanks for this. I ran DS2 surprisingly well on my potato. Hopefully my potato is up for it :v:

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really liked Bloodborne and got the platinum. Then I bought Dark Souls II scholar ed and hated it. I got maybe 4 hours in and quit. I was constantly getting hit/dying and the second encounter with the large knight was my breaking point. Losing a large chunk of my life bar really annoyed me. DS3 is kind of tempting me but I really don't want a repeat of ds2. The similar bloodborne look and seemingly faster pace in the ds3 footage looks encouraging. I'm guessing if I would have kept trying ds2 I would have eventually gotten decent at dodging but even typing this I'm getting a little aggravated picturing going back. Wait for ds3 to go on sale for $20 like I did with ds2?

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 5, 2016

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
It might be better in DS3 since you don't need ADP to get good dodges. Raise ADP asap in DS2 if you're finding dodging frustrating.

There is a chance though that it still might happen no matter whether you pick up DS2 again or DS3 next. Going from DS1 to DS2 I went from perfect parrying every enemy in the game to dying to hollows, just because it's a little bit different. Then going back to DS1 again I was dying to hollows at the start, because the timing and animations are a bit different.

hampig fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

plape tickler posted:

I really liked Bloodborne and got the platinum. Then I bought Dark Souls II scholar ed and hated it. I got maybe 4 hours in and quit. I was constantly getting hit/dying and the second encounter with the large knight was my breaking point. Losing a large chunk of my life bar really annoyed me. DS3 is kind of tempting me but I really don't want a repeat of ds2. The similar look and seemingly faster pace in the ds3 footage looks encouraging. I'm guessing if I would have kept trying ds2 I would have eventually gotten decent at dodging but even typing this I'm getting a little aggravated picturing going back. Wait for ds3 to go on sale for $20 like I did with ds2?

I believe the correct answer would be to 'get good'

(DS3 seems a bit faster but the play style will not approach BB levels especially because of the rally mechanic, if you're dying/getting hit a lot you could try builds abusing the shield use, and some weapons let you attack behind a shield like the spears. If you didn't like DS2 it's probably better to wait to buy it cheap, you could try DS 1 and see if you enjoy it too)

• Locked thread