Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
What app for browsing these forums does everyone recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chromatic posted:

What app for browsing these forums does everyone recommend?
There are only two options: Awful and Something. The former has more features, the latter is pretty trimmed down but seems to generate less bug reports. Try both and decide.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Thanks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Skarsnik posted:

Well you could just turn off ambient display, depends how useful you find it

Thanks, I think I've worked through the problems now by disabling ambient display, installing Lightflow Legacy, and keeping the full one installed but disabled as they recommend. I guess I'll see how it goes.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Anyone know of a way to get Spotify to reliably loving play whenever my phone connects to bluetooth? I was using Trigger for this with google play music and it worked 95% of the time. With spotify, it works maybe 5% of the time. There's an app called "bluetooth connect & play" or something like that which worked a little more reliably, with the annoying side effect of it actually opening up the spotify app on my screen. I don't want that, I just want it to resume playing.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Poweramp Full Version is on sale in the app store for $1 if anyone is interested. I think I paid like 3-5 bux for it originally.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Uthor posted:

Yes!

Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't use Google Now much, but even less since Now on Tap showed up (Now on Tap has proved to be completely useless every time I've tried it).

Now on tap is amazing for maps, I use it 3-5 times a day. It fucks up every few days but that's typically because an address is poorly formatted or something.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

uPen posted:

Now on tap is amazing for maps, I use it 3-5 times a day. It fucks up every few days but that's typically because an address is poorly formatted or something.

It really it great for getting addresses from a text or email into maps seamlessly.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I always forget that Now on Tap exists. When I do remember and I use it it's great but my brain just actively refuses to store the data that this feature is there.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Require More Fire posted:

I always forget that Now on Tap exists. When I do remember and I use it it's great but my brain just actively refuses to store the data that this feature is there.

Are you me?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Using Facebook mobile site through Chrome instead of the app, is there a way to get videos to play HD? On PC there's a category in the settings for Videos but I don't see anything on mobile.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Teeter posted:

Using Facebook mobile site through Chrome instead of the app, is there a way to get videos to play HD? On PC there's a category in the settings for Videos but I don't see anything on mobile.

I'm assuming you're not on T-Mobile?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I ended up having to uninstall LightFlow because it was preventing some functionality with my Gear S2. If I rooted my Note 5, I probably could have gotten both to work, but then I'd lose Samsung Pay. I was basically stuck with a "pick 2 of 3" scenario:

1. Customized notification lights
2. Working notifications passed to Gear S2
3. Samsung Pay

Since even point 1 isn't 100% (Samsung does weird stuff that LightFlow has to work around), I ended up going with 2 and 3. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 6.0 update will make LightFlow usable for me again and that Samsung won't screw it all up, but I'm not holding my breath...

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I'm assuming you're not on T-Mobile?

I'm on the T-Mobile Nerd plan actually. Does Binge On overwrite something to do with that? I only ask because there is nothing in the Facebook settings that I can find about video, and the video player itself only has a button to mute or go full screen. I don't see an option to make it HD like the app has.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, Binge On makes all video low-res. But you can watch as much of it as you want!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Gross.

Makes sense now, thanks for the help.

e: wait, why is it also garbage on WiFi then? I disabled Binge On and it's still crap so I'm hoping that it just takes some time to switch over, though I'm still confused why WiFi would look bad. The app video player has a button to make HD but the mobile site does not so I don't really have much control over anything. I can't watch hockey highlights like this :(

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 4, 2016

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Teeter posted:

Gross.

Makes sense now, thanks for the help.

e: wait, why is it also garbage on WiFi then? I disabled Binge On and it's still crap so I'm hoping that it just takes some time to switch over, though I'm still confused why WiFi would look bad. The app video player has a button to make HD but the mobile site does not so I don't really have much control over anything. I can't watch hockey highlights like this :(

I think that's just Facebook really sucking at video.

Speaking of Facebook sucking, I have notifications completely turned off in their app, but still get notifications. Happens to my wife as well. You'd think the world's largest social media network could make their app work..

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I think that's just Facebook really sucking at video.

Speaking of Facebook sucking, I have notifications completely turned off in their app, but still get notifications. Happens to my wife as well. You'd think the world's largest social media network could make their app work..

I can't send a picture through their Messenger app without it looking like hot garbage. I understand them compressing the ~4 MB images I get out of my point-n-shoot camera, but like 50 KB images I download from the web still get compressed. It's especially annoying if there is text in the image that you absolutely cannot read once it's sent.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Uthor posted:

I can't send a picture through their Messenger app without it looking like hot garbage. I understand them compressing the ~4 MB images I get out of my point-n-shoot camera, but like 50 KB images I download from the web still get compressed. It's especially annoying if there is text in the image that you absolutely cannot read once it's sent.

Does it come out like garbage on both ends? Google Hangouts looks like pure poo poo but apparently the picture sends just fine and the recipient doesn't have issues, it only uses a compressed version cached locally on your end. Maybe something similar here?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Teeter posted:

Does it come out like garbage on both ends? Google Hangouts looks like pure poo poo but apparently the picture sends just fine and the recipient doesn't have issues, it only uses a compressed version cached locally on your end. Maybe something similar here?

Hmm, I don't know. I should ask.

Pictures my friend sends look fine, but I was assuming because he uses the website on a computer while I'm using the app on my phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've often noticed that images with text tend to look horrendously compressed on Facebook, although I don't know the source for any of them (i.e. computer or phone).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Facebook compresses both graphics and videos

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Teeter posted:

Google Hangouts looks like pure poo poo but apparently the picture sends just fine and the recipient doesn't have issues, it only uses a compressed version cached locally on your end.

This does not happen to me as far as I'm aware of. I take a picture, share it to Hangouts, and it looks just fine in the Hangouts app.

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot why I came into this thread...

I want to save a bunch of locations on a map with notes about them and then be able to easily navigate via Google Navigation to whichever location I select. My first thought was Google's own My Maps...but as far as I can see there's no way to navigate to the location in the My Maps app.

Any suggestions?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

This does not happen to me as far as I'm aware of. I take a picture, share it to Hangouts, and it looks just fine in the Hangouts app.

It definitely happens to me

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It definitely happens to me

It occasionally happens to me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hangouts uploads a low quality version first and then the full version, so if you look immediately you'll get the crappy version but after a little delay the full one shows up. On a lovely 3G connection this can take longer. It works the same at both ends.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What are you Android bros still using for keyboards? I was a big fan of Google Keyboard, but switched to Fleksy for a while as the gestures are badass.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BoyBlunder posted:

What are you Android bros still using for keyboards? I was a big fan of Google Keyboard, but switched to Fleksy for a while as the gestures are badass.

Still using and loving SwiftKey. The "flow" (Swype) knockoff still sucks, but I never use it anyway so whatever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, SwiftKey for me. I've been considering trying the beta with the neural net, but haven't yet.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Thirding SwiftKey. Flow works well and the prediction is spot on. I like to add a number row to the top and shorten the long-press duration to about 300ms. Also emoji prediction because I text like a tween.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I like SwiftKey because it lets me use two languages at once, and it works really well

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Google Keyboard. SwiftKey felt slow and sluggish to me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

After two years of owning Android devices, I think I finally want a weather app that isn't just Google Now's weather. Mostly for stapling a widget onto my home screen. What's the best choice for that? Still the one in the OP (Weather Timeline)?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Amppelix posted:

After two years of owning Android devices, I think I finally want a weather app that isn't just Google Now's weather. Mostly for stapling a widget onto my home screen. What's the best choice for that? Still the one in the OP (Weather Timeline)?

Weather Timeline is great.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

After two years of owning Android devices, I think I finally want a weather app that isn't just Google Now's weather. Mostly for stapling a widget onto my home screen.
I use Arcus, have been happy with it, widget is nice.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I wish swiftkey flow didn't suck balls

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Does another app (Swype? Is that still a thing?) do flow a lot better than SwiftKey? I rarely use it but when I do it seems wholly functional, just rather limited by my own lack of speed when trying to hold the phone and type with it at the same time, probably while walking and trying not get hit by a bus or whatever.

Anyway what I'm saying is it doesn't seem like it could be much better but is there another app that is actually a swiping game changer or something?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Does another app (Swype? Is that still a thing?) do flow a lot better than SwiftKey? I rarely use it but when I do it seems wholly functional, just rather limited by my own lack of speed when trying to hold the phone and type with it at the same time, probably while walking and trying not get hit by a bus or whatever.

Anyway what I'm saying is it doesn't seem like it could be much better but is there another app that is actually a swiping game changer or something?

Swype is the best at swipe typing but it's predictive engine isn't that great. It's also pretty bad at predictive peck typing.

Google Keyboard is about on par with SwiftKey on swipe typing

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I guess no sense changing keyboards then since I do the one handed swipe type thing pretty much never but definitely rely on SwiftKey stealing all my personal data and selling it being good at predictions almost constantly.

Thanks for keyboard information though! :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
For those using Google Voice, are you able to use visual voicemail through the stock dialer, or are you getting your voicemails transcribed through Hangouts?