Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just found out Black Fast are playing a pretty small club not far from me on Sunday. How are they live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Behold, skeltonwitch's littler and angrier brother

https://frosthelm.bandcamp.com/

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Omnikin posted:

Just found out Black Fast are playing a pretty small club not far from me on Sunday. How are they live?

Just got back from their show (opening for Vektor and Voivod) and they were perfectly good.

If I was younger I probably would've liked it more.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
I just came back from the Cannibal Corpse gig/tour, if you have a chance to see it, it's worth it just to see Flo Mounier alone, that guy is a loving beast. Abysmal Dawn was good but whatever. Obituary was fun as gently caress. Cannibal Corpse well, it's loving Cannibal Corpse, if you've seen them before you know what to expect. All in all, it was a fun show.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Blood Ceremony owns

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
listened to the new church of misery and it's boring as gently caress and then I remembered that everyone but the bassist quit after the last record :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Scrambles posted:

listened to the new church of misery and it's boring as gently caress and then I remembered that everyone but the bassist quit after the last record :(

The bassist writes all the music so it shouldn't matter but also your opinion is wrong

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bitchkrieg posted:

:allears:

Oh god, I am so jealous. I love them and would love to see them live.
Yeah I've been a fan for a few years, just never caught them live until now. I meant to, like a year ago, but couldn't make it.

We got to the venue about half an hour before they started, which was just enough time to get bored to tears by the last opening band, who played some sorta retro prog rock stuff, just this endless meandering jam poo poo.
JATAO more than made up for that though. We were a bit worried beforehand that they might lay on the psychedelia too heavily and get stuck jamming out, but oh what fools we were to ever doubt them, they just rocked the hell out from the start. Their sound was REALLY drat good; suitably loud, heavy and punchy, but clear and defined instead of being too loud and distorted to hell.

And then there was Jess. She's like 1/3 cultist priestess, 1/3 cute hippie girl (she even had a tambourine :3:) and 1/3 rock frontwoman. It was awesome how she just threw herself into the songs, danced around and overall just had a pretty amazing stage presence, all without saying a single word between songs. And if you thought she sounds good on record... well, she sounds even better live. Really. She's quite a marvel to witness.

I'm maybe just a tiny bit bummed that they didn't play Sulfur Giants or More Than Living, but I can't really complain because whatever they played just loving worked, and the way Come Crimson Death rocked my socks, those two might've just loving killed me. Especially the latter one, because hhunnngghghdfdfgh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they played Motörhead - Iron Fist in the encore, which was loving awesome.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 5, 2016

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
If you were thinking about going to see the BTBAM tour, stay home.

The Faceless dropped off the tour four hours before the doors opened last night, Good Tiger is horrible, and new ABR is horrible. You'd think that BTBAM would play a longer set because a band dropped out, and they'd actually play some good older songs. What a naive child I am.

Least satisfying show I've ever seen.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Spanish Manlove posted:

Behold, skeltonwitch's littler and angrier brother

https://frosthelm.bandcamp.com/

hell yea

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's only one track but Black Breath has an instrumental on their newest album which reminds me a lot of Orion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzzktc0Urx4

Dang, that is extremely mid-80s Metallica. How's their other stuff?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fritz posted:

They're sort of crust mixed with Swedeath, leaning more toward the latter on their newest album.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

kajeto posted:

I just came back from the Cannibal Corpse gig/tour, if you have a chance to see it, it's worth it just to see Flo Mounier alone, that guy is a loving beast. Abysmal Dawn was good but whatever. Obituary was fun as gently caress. Cannibal Corpse well, it's loving Cannibal Corpse, if you've seen them before you know what to expect. All in all, it was a fun show.

What time did CC hit the stage?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's only one track but Black Breath has an instrumental on their newest album which reminds me a lot of Orion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzzktc0Urx4

Man, Paolo Girardi has been going gangbusters on metal album covers recently.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fritz posted:

As the name would imply, mainly HM2-core.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I know that "...And justice for Jason" exists, but is there any bass-boosted versions of the other metallica albums?

I feel like I have read about them before, perhaps with a similar play on the album name as AJFA, but I am struggling to find them. Presumably they are bootlegs.

Do they exist or am I crazy?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

fruition posted:

If you were thinking about going to see the BTBAM tour, stay home.

That's a real shame, when I saw them a few years ago (in support of Dillinger Escape Plan) they played the then-new Colours in its entirety from start to finish and then Alaska, which was mind blowing.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Laserface posted:

I know that "...And justice for Jason" exists, but is there any bass-boosted versions of the other metallica albums?

I feel like I have read about them before, perhaps with a similar play on the album name as AJFA, but I am struggling to find them. Presumably they are bootlegs.

I have no idea about any other albums but I always thought AJFJ was a bit of a wasted effort, mostly because the guy's bass tone and mix are pretty bad

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I know that there's a goon on these forums who either knows or plays in Ne Obliviscaris, so please explain what the gently caress this is all about?

quote:

If fans want to pledge $250 or more per month they will be granted the rank of ‘Grand Master In The Order Of The Ne Obluminati’ and become part of the band’s inner circle.

You guys can't be serious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I know that there's a goon on these forums who either knows or plays in Ne Obliviscaris, so please explain what the gently caress this is all about?

I'm guessing that's a joke because nobody would pay that much. Like most of the incentives for Run the Jewels 2, which involved things like Killer Mike and El-P harassing your enemies.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm guessing that's a joke because nobody would pay that much. Like most of the incentives for Run the Jewels 2, which involved things like Killer Mike and El-P harassing your enemies.

They've already got five patrons donating that amount each and are making almost five and a half grand a month in total :stare:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Laserface posted:

Not full albums as far as I'm aware but all the songs that were in those Rock Band Hero games used the master tapes, so people ripped the audio tracks, boosted the bass track volume, and stuck them on youtube with titles like "Enhanced Bass Version".

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

funeral fag posted:

They've already got five patrons donating that amount each and are making almost five and a half grand a month in total :stare:
Does someone want to help fund my solo project Ejaculating Pain's first album? For 1K I will come to your house with a pizza and serenade you with the sweet sounds of Wehrmacht.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

NonzeroCircle posted:

That's a real shame, when I saw them a few years ago (in support of Dillinger Escape Plan) they played the then-new Colours in its entirety from start to finish and then Alaska, which was mind blowing.

Jealous

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Saw Carcass, Testament, and Slayer yesterday evening.

Carcass played mostly new stuff. I wish they would play more from Reek of Putrefaction and Symphonies of Sickness.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A TURGID FATSO posted:

i like the little passive aggressive thing about metal bands with violin players not being able to make money

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

fritz posted:

Their best album/song is more swede death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2JAgbjJLFk

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

fritz posted:

If you wan't 80s Metallica and you haven't heard you probably want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_qMI0Edi-o

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I'm currently wading chest-deep in a pool of nostalgia and I've come to the conclusion that Someone's Crying is probably the most underrated Helloween song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhZHSi5huko

They really were extremely loving good at this whole power metal thing back in the day. Makes it all the sadder they're so aggressively mediocre nowadays.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

A TURGID FATSO posted:

They crowdfunded a tour a year or two ago and raised like 80,000 dollars. To top that off, around then the drummer quit his job to tour full time. Notable because he quit a $150,000 a year job

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know how I feel about the crowdfunding NeO are trying to do.

On one hand, you're a twit if you think that metal bands are profitable. Unless you're a band that made it BEFORE the industry went to poo poo with filesharing and the like, you're probably going to have a bad time when it comes to trying to make money from metal.

It makes perfect sense for bands to try to find new ways to make money. You can't do it with album sales. Touring only makes worthwhile money when you're doing pretty decently sized shows. That's pretty hard to do for a band in Australia where it costs so much to go...well...anywhere other than Australia. The metal scene in Australia isn't REALLY big enough for metal bands to make a living off, even if you did national tours. So that means international touring has to happen, but that immediately incurs a huge cost which makes the whole thing perhaps not worth it.

I thought crowdfunding the tour was a decent idea. Fans had been dying to see them play in countries overseas, they couldn't afford to do it on their own, so they asked for some of that money up-front just so they could do it. On top of that, depending on how much you chipped in depended on what bonus merch you got. I chipped in for a T-Shirt and an EP. I was happy to do that because I was supporting the band and getting more product from the band.

In other words: I'm not against the idea of a band resorting to crowdfunding to get poo poo done. Neither am I against a band trying some new way of making money so that they can focus on the thing that they love rather than a poo poo factory job.

This patreon thing? Eh. I'm not sold on it. I don't think less of them for trying it, but I don't think I'm going to buy into it.

For one, I'm not interested in any of the things that they're offering for the Patreon rewards. Strangely enough, the thing that I want from a band like NeO is more NeO music. I'm not terribly interested in how it is played and at the risk of sounding like a dick, I'm not necessarily interested in interacting with the band members themselves (Lovely blokes as I'm sure they all are!) The only time you get new music from them is if you chip in 25 bucks a month, you'll get a bunch of covers. For that much, I'd expect a new EP every month as that's pretty much what you're paying for. I don't see that being feasable for a band to do. Not to mention all the OTHER stuff that they'll supposedly be doing for their minimum wage in order to fulfil all those rewards. I predict plenty of disappointment and missed targets.

But long story short, maybe I'm old-fashioned, but when I give musicians money, I would like to get music in return. I'm not interested in paying for personalities. I want to pay for music. Live or otherwise.

Patroen works for Youtube musicians like Jared Dines and Rob Scallon because those guys are always putting out...some sort of content every week or so. It might be a 2 minute long gimmick song that's worth maybe 1 listen or 1 watch, but that's something completely different to a band that intricately weaves together 9 minute long songs with all the proggy madness that they do. For that sort of content, I don't think Patroen is the right platform.

Good on 'em for trying something new. Good on 'em if it works for them, but I don't think this is the best solution.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Random Youtube clicking led me to find this band, Brujeria. They are Mexican and shout about cartels and stuff I guess. Not good at naming genres but I guess its grindy-thrash? Dunno.

It's raw though and I like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8F1ov6mqrw

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

henpod posted:

Random Youtube clicking led me to find this band, Brujeria. They are Mexican and shout about cartels and stuff I guess.

Haha, it's actually a bunch of Englishmen and Swedes, including a bunch of guys from Carcass, Arch Enemy, and Napalm Death (Shane Embury). The frontman is Mexican though.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Oh poo poo, you're right haha. Seems like the fat guy from Fear Factory was in it too.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
the voice of Pete Wilson in that song is Jello Biafra

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

henpod posted:

Random Youtube clicking led me to find this band, Brujeria. They are Mexican and shout about cartels and stuff I guess. Not good at naming genres but I guess its grindy-thrash? Dunno.

In the beginning, Dino (Fear Factory) and Billy (Faith No More) were members of the group. I don't think Billy is a Mexican, but he does love the food.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I always thought it was funny Billy Gould's label was called rear end in a top hat.

e: also if you like Brujeria there's Asesino which is the Misery Index to Brujeria's Dying Fetus

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 7, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I don't think you "get" Patreon. This is literally the whole point of that website.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't think you "get" Patreon. This is literally the whole point of that website.

It's to ask for a free ride with two less-than-stellar records under your belt? That's cool I guess.

Edit: I guess if people will crowd fund for Star Citizen why wouldn't this venture be a rousing success, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A TURGID FATSO posted:

It's to ask for a free ride with two less-than-stellar records under your belt? That's cool I guess.

Edit: I guess if people will crowd fund for Star Citizen why wouldn't this venture be a rousing success, right?

It's digital panhandling, that's all. No need to make a big deal about it, just ignore it like you would every other panhandler.