Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually he won't. He will loudly and sincerely say he will and then afterwards say liberals are not pussies and he never had any intention of owning them.

edit: what are his supporters going to say when he goes back on the wall? I suspect that's one of the few factual reality things they actually care about.

I'm afraid the idea of the wall is more popular than you seem to think - or relatively less important than other issues to the pivotal segment of population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

steinrokkan posted:

Donald Trump will loving own all you liberal pussies

Why do you assume we're all black?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Tom Guycot posted:

Of course... it could be all out insanity. Maybe kasich wins ohio, all the rubio support goes to him, it remains a 3 man race, trump wins the >50% needed going into the convention, the party elders chant magic words and perform fuckery to choose mittens anyways, everyone starts shooting each other at the convention, trump runs 3rd party with the severed heads of the other candidates tied to his belt and sweeps into a win in the general election leaving the GOP burning to the ground with mass suicides of the old guard and donors while boehner sips a margarita by the pool.

Cut to black. Ron Perlman voiceover narration.

"War. War never changes."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

TGLT posted:

Do you have a specific issue that he flipped on in the middle of the primary? Or is this about his opinions years ago compared to now?

On his own website, before the last debate, Trump said that giving visas to highly skilled immigrants was disastrous and part of what was destroying the middle class. In the debate, he was specifically asked about the visas (called H-1Bs) and this is a quote of his response:

"I'm changing it, and I'm softening the position because we need to have talented people in this country. We need highly skilled people in this country, and if we can't do it, we'll get them in."

Immediately after the debate, Trump issued a statement that he would "end forever the use of the H-1B as a cheap labor program."

He not only flipped on that specific issue in the middle of the primary, he flipped on it in the middle of the day.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh, I don't doubt most of that really. I think if its brokered, and Cruz has a good chunk of delegates, with Rubio totally collapsing with almost no delegates (which he looks close to doing), I think they would swallow their pride and just let Cruz have it.

I'm not so sure. The GOP establishment hates Cruz as well, and I'd say there's a good chance they'd give the nomination to Rubio if given the chance. I think Rubio's likely to stay in it through to the convention on that hope, especially because if he drops out it's less likely that there will be a brokered convention at all.

Of course, Rubio is unlikely to be able to beat Hillary, so giving him the nomination is a good way to lose in November. It depends on if the RNC wants to win, or if they want to regain control of their party.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Rorus Raz posted:

Some people, like Gunther, are just loving idiots:

Hahaha, there are only 26 letters in the alphabet so writing can produce no new information. Printers can only rearrange the letters they have.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I just scrolled through the last 50 comments before asking myself "Am I in the cartoon thread?"

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

...wut?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
:siren: We have the first Cruz booger/tonsil stone reference!:siren:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ford is boring again.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think the 4d jokes are a lot funnier when you actually post the comic you're making fun of

But if you wanna keep giving his awful website traffic to put a lot of effort towards a dum joke by all means

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah it's way better to rag on the hardworking op of this hellhole of a thread for making something funny

e: sorry that was probably an overreaction, but seriously if you don't like it just scroll on by

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Donald and Boris: fringe candidates no longer - Chris Riddell’s guide to the latest political style"

Sunday Telegraph:

EU referendum: Rolls-Royce warns its staff of Brexit risks

Independent on Sunday:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Spoiler: it's the same smug bullshit about how non-fundamentalist Christians are dumb and wrong that he always posts.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

alnilam posted:

e: sorry that was probably an overreaction, but seriously if you don't like it just scroll on by

I'd say it was an appropriate reaction. I can't even begin to imagine why people are so irritated by it. If you don't like, it scroll by and pretend it's not there, like some people do for First Dog, and like I do with Xander77's Soviet propagandapalooza posters (no offense to Xander or the Soviet Union). Why do people feel the need to express so much disapproval of something they can ignore? Are they on a tight bandwith budget and every extra post takes away from their milk money or something?

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Observer:

"Donald and Boris: fringe candidates no longer - Chris Riddell’s guide to the latest political style"

For the benefit of our US chums, this refers to the practice of "Fagging"

"Fagging was a traditional practice in British boarding private schools (nearly all "public schools" in the English sense) and also many other boarding schools, whereby younger pupils were required to act as personal servants to the most senior boys. While domestic servants were common in family households, the custom reflected household task distribution and taught pupils about service from both ends of the relationship. Under school rules, fagging might entail harsh discipline and corporal punishment when those were standard practices"

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Scholtz posted:

I think the 4d jokes are a lot funnier when you actually post the comic you're making fun of

But if you wanna keep giving his awful website traffic to put a lot of effort towards a dum joke by all means

Counterpoint: If I HADN'T gone to Adam4d's site to read what specific smug bullshit he was pushing this week, I might have missed that Adam is starting a "Christ-centered Christian News Parody Website" called The Babylon Bee. Adam's goal is to deploy pro-religious satire in order to bring it up to parity with all that anti-religious satire out there (e.g. The Onion, I guess). Like every attempt made in the last fifteen years to make a "Conservative Version Of The Daily Show", I'm sure this will be an immediate hit. Share some of this wonderful content with your twitter-buds and Facebook-chums today!

:barf:

They're accepting reader submissions though!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Roald Dahl wrote about being a fag when he was a boy in his book Boy.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill

If this was at all self aware, this would absolutely be a The Onion gag, supporting those brave people who have everything going for them for feeling persecuted for the myriad of violence slung at them such as,

and,

while simultaneously cursing the horrible people who oppress men by unreasonably demanding to be treated with basic respect and human decency.

Instead it's this garbage.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

All these people so busy arguing about Adam4d they didn't even notice Rorus's awesome animation.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Xenoveritas posted:

It's also torpedoed her chance of ever getting votes for anyone who works with the Defense industry.

She wasn't getting those anyway, electing fascist would be much better for business. They're big on war.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

"And that's why you should believe this book written thousands of years ago and not updated for about two millennia instead!"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Xenoveritas posted:

It may not make sense (and you can find really long articles explaining how and why it doesn't) but that is the way it works. Basically (as a contractor) the default answer is "treat everything as classified until told otherwise." Things get weirder for the State Department because they're an original classification authority, but the same basic rules apply.
You may very well be right about all of this, and if it was some random schlub in State who'd pulled that stunt, maybe they'd really be facing the end of their political career.

But look at David Petraeus. He ran the CIA, retired, kept a bunch of classified material he was supposed to have destroyed, and handed it over to his biographer, who he was also sleeping with. He got a fine and a couple years probation on a misdemeanor charge.

Also-former CIA director John Deutch held onto classified material at home, and he wasn't prosecuted at all.

(P.S. drat there are a lot of people trying to sell secrets abroad)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Welcome to March back in...

March is when poo poo really went off the tracks. The democratic primary got more heated, and a certain reverend makes his national debut.

The "3am Phone Call" became a persistent meme throughout the election, and I believe it even crept into the 2012 election and has been brought up a few times in this primary. It's ultimately a cheap appeal to fear, but then again that seems to be the name of the game in American politics.

Terrorism kinda dominated the 2004 election, and you can see remnants of that here. Of course, this would end up on the backburner when the economy exploded.

Hillary had a bit of comeback in early March by taking two hefty states in Texas and Ohio, which allowed her to justify staying in the race.

A "tactic" drummed up by Limbaugh was for conservatives who had open primaries in their states to go and vote for Clinton. Dubbed "Operation Chaos," the goal was to prolong the primary in the hopes that the bitter contest would leave the democrats fractured come election day. While this kinda-sorta happened (more on that in about six months), ultimately Operation Chaos was a miserable failure.

One thing that popped up early in the race is that Obama was somehow this mystery candidate whose past is a complete blank that we know nothing about. This is true...if you ignore that Obama had already written books about his past and had his history scrutinized heavily a la the Birther movement.

As stated in February, the Clinton campaign got nastier as things started to go south for them. This Lester is :ironicat: as hell since goddamn conservatives STILL love calling Obama by his full name for that sweet sweet dog whistle. Also, good lord Lester's Obama caricature was looking kinda rough back then.

Obama helped usher in a tide of youth voters, so suddenly appealing to this demographic mattered. In fact, 2008 had the highest youth turnout since 1992. Don't worry though: turnout was trending downward in 2012, so those punk kids won't dilute your precious vote for tax breaks on hip replacements.

See you next week!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

The "3am Phone Call" became a persistent meme throughout the election, and I believe it even crept into the 2012 election and has been brought up a few times in this primary. It's ultimately a cheap appeal to fear, but then again that seems to be the name of the game in American politics.

I love this because now Farrakhan supports Trump

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

every British cartoonist has now done a "Trump=Boris"... they desperately want this to be a clever parallel and there's no there there.

Silly hair and self-promoting is a granfalloon not a movement. (Silly hair is the key to 2/3rds of British politicians going back to the 70s.)

I say this as a New Yorker who's suffered under an awareness of Trump since the 80s and a weird BritPol-Comedy nerd who hate-adores Boris.
and who gives a poo poo about the British PM anyway and the next election isn't until 2020:fsmug:

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 6, 2016

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

This is a surprisingly bad Kreider

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I used to think that the GOP had a nuclear option in store for Trump but given the latest Romney speech I honestly suspect that was all they had.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What would that be? What could they do at this point that he would fear? He has them by the balls more surely than anything I have ever seen in politics.

They haven't tried the nuclear option until they've attempted to have him assassinated.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Keiya posted:

They haven't tried the nuclear option until they've attempted to have him assassinated.
The bullet would not penetrate his fat head and he'd come off of it more powerful than ever.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Been reading up on comics history and Steve Ditko's work is something

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

nobodyssweetheart posted:

every British cartoonist has now done a "Trump=Boris"... they desperately want this to be a clever parallel and there's no there there.

Silly hair and self-promoting is a granfalloon not a movement. (Silly hair is the key to 2/3rds of British politicians going back to the 70s.)

I say this as a New Yorker who's suffered under an awareness of Trump since the 80s and a weird BritPol-Comedy nerd who hate-adores Boris.

I feel as if it's apt since the talking point is that if there is a Brexit Cameron will step down and Boris is favourite to replace him.

The other scenario is that the UK stays in the EU, Cameron steps down and Osbourne becomes the favourite to replace him.

Regardless of what happens Cameron is stepping down sometime between now and 2018 if he is telling the truth and won't contest a third election as PM

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Nckdictator posted:

Been reading up on comics history and Steve Ditko's work is something

The Question was created by Ditko as an Objectivist hero. It's somehow even more blatant and on-the-nose than Atlas Shrugged itself. I think of Rorshach from Watchmen as Alan Moore's commentary on Randian politics.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

majormonotone posted:

This is a surprisingly bad Kreider

I'm not so surprised. A lot of Kreider's work has this undercurrent (or overcurrent) of misanthropy and hate. You can see it in how he draws most everyone. Most of the time it works because it's funny, but when it doesn't it just makes him look bitter and mean. Kind of reminds me of George Carlin, actually.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Xanderkish posted:

I'm not so surprised. A lot of Kreider's work has this undercurrent (or overcurrent) of misanthropy and hate. You can see it in how he draws most everyone. Most of the time it works because it's funny, but when it doesn't it just makes him look bitter and mean. Kind of reminds me of George Carlin, actually.

Comedians tend to be more depressed, cynical, and unhappy than average. Comedians also tend to be incredibly insightful.

Are they related? Probably; the best comedy requires a great deal of insight into what's going on.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Late Telnaes dump!

"Republicans' heads are whirling over Trump."

and the usual debate sketches, this time including some nightmare fuel and Marco "Legolas" Rubio:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Comedians tend to be more depressed, cynical, and unhappy than average. Comedians also tend to be incredibly insightful.

Are they related? Probably; the best comedy requires a great deal of insight into what's going on.

I would not classify the majority of comedians as insightful. Good comedians, sure but most of them are lacking in insight.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Let it never be said that I am not accommodating. Here is the latest Ford

And here's the edit again. Spoiler: it's a gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Rorus Raz posted:

Let it never be said that I am not accommodating. Here is the latest Ford
And here's the edit again. Spoiler: it's a gif.

The joke is starting to wear on me if only because overt sexual overtures are a reliable way to discourage proselytizers.

Also, if there really was a powerful deity pulling strings to create a just world Adam would lose readers by insulting the people that post feel-good Jesus quotes one day since they are just as likely to post one of Adam's anti-gay or 'why Christians are the real victims' comics the next.

• Locked thread