Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

yeah I've considered getting one before. the hat clip is working out pretty drat well though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The hat clip made me wear a hat plus my headphones which was bad. But then i had to be so stiff it hurt my neck, so I got the clip, and it works great. I can naturally do poo poo now and not get stiff neck.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I started an FSE flight and stupid me I didn't check the weather and as I was approaching my destination it started getting worse and worse until I couldn't see poo poo and instead of being like 'lol whatever' and closing ASN I'm diverting to an airfield that's even further than my point of origin because my point of origin is now IFR and why the gently caress am I doing this it's stupid it shouldn't be fun what the gently caress is wrong with me.

EDIT: along the way I saw I was going to pass pretty close to another airfield so I asked for vectors to see if I could see well enough to put down there.

Good enough.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 2, 2016

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I once took a FSE flight to an airfield with no runway lights, at night.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I once took a FSE flight to an airfield with no runway lights, at night.

I once did this in real life when the pilot controlled lighting was broken, that was fun.

Thankfully the plane had a badass landing light and it was a full moon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Flight Sim proof of concept with Saitek X52 HOTAS

https://developer.leapmotion.com/gallery/vr-cockpit

:gizz:

The HOTAS is represented correctly in 3D space (once you go through the alignment steps)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4PpAC2DJ5k

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Flight Sim proof of concept with Saitek X52 HOTAS

https://developer.leapmotion.com/gallery/vr-cockpit

:gizz:

The HOTAS is represented correctly in 3D space (once you go through the alignment steps)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4PpAC2DJ5k

I think what we really need are gloves that provide force feedback, like squeezing or vibrating or something on surfaces that your virtual hand is touching. After depth perception and spatial awareness of your hand is fully figured out, you need to be able to feel when you're touching something so you don't have to look at every single control or keep a real keyboard that you blindly tap under your visor.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

chitoryu12 posted:

I think what we really need are gloves that provide force feedback, like squeezing or vibrating or something on surfaces that your virtual hand is touching. After depth perception and spatial awareness of your hand is fully figured out, you need to be able to feel when you're touching something so you don't have to look at every single control or keep a real keyboard that you blindly tap under your visor.

I would have to imagine that will come as VR tech matures.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As of last spring all of Apple's new laptops have a "force touch" trackpad with no moving parts, the feedback comes from four tiny electric coils that fool you in to "feeling" the click. It's really convincing. It won't provide resistance, but you definitely feel like you interacted with a moving object, if only briefly.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/12/force-touch-trackpad-click/

And yeah over the next three years or so things will change immensely as this stuff matures. The second gen goggles will probably integrate this IR hand tracking stuff, along with better resolution on spacial tracking and resolution. 1440p per eye will probably be when this stuff is ready for flight sims. Current gen stuff being released next month is only 1080p.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
As always, never buy 1.0

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PMDG prices are just ridiculous these days

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014

LordPants posted:

Taking simulation to a whole new level of realism

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

LordPants posted:

They did similar for the 777 and 737 right before release.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just lease it.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

You can get Megascenary Ireland for free today, photoscenery covering the entire island http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=20249 code is STPATTY2016 to make it free.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty awesome, thanks for the heads up. I don't really fly around Ireland much (at all, really) but free is always nice.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks for the tip and lol at the always "eccentric" online stores the flightsim companies have.
When you get the download link after the order and click the download button it downloads a HTML file. This usually means that something wrong and it downloads an error page instead of the file.
After trying a few times I opened the downloaded HTML and it contained the links to the individual files.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the headsup :)

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

"OUR FREE ST PATRICK'S DAY OFFER IS OVERWHELMING OUR SERVERS. DOWNLOAD SPEEDS WILL BE MUCH SLOWER THAN NORMAL. IF IT GETS FRUSTRATINGLY SLOW SIMPLY TRY AGAIN LATER. YOUR FREE DOWNLOAD LINK IS PERMAMENT."

Haha

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Daimo posted:

"OUR FREE ST PATRICK'S DAY OFFER IS OVERWHELMING OUR SERVERS. DOWNLOAD SPEEDS WILL BE MUCH SLOWER THAN NORMAL. IF IT GETS FRUSTRATINGLY SLOW SIMPLY TRY AGAIN LATER. YOUR FREE DOWNLOAD LINK IS PERMAMENT."

Haha

Flight sims, where the Internet of 1995 lives forever

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Pretty much. It's 18gb but 18mb would be just as bad back then.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I haven't even bothered trying to download it yet. I'll wait a few days for their servers to recover.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Idk if I'll even bother because I have ORBX FTX stuff and I kinda like things like 3d trees and buildings and stuff.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Offer's over anyway

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
And going over their screenshots, it's just satellite imagery that doesn't even seem color corrected. That might have been awesome 10 years ago, but nowadays it's empty, at least to me.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya what I meant was that I got the license via the offer but after looking at pix I don't think I'll bother installing it.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
FSX Steam Edition is 70% off until March 31st. and most of its DLC is also on a pretty steep sale if anyone is still looking to buy some.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Is any of that FSX:SE DLC worth getting at the discounted prices? (I've not spent anything on flightsim add-ons at all yet, so don't really have anything to compare it against)

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
REX, Active Sky Next, and the A2A Piper Cub are all worth the discounted prices imo. Probably some of the scenery packs as well, especially KFHR. Although I bought FTX HD trees and barely noticed a difference.

vvv - EJ has a very valid point.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 24, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I still think that if you have any plan to switch away from the steam version to P3D you'll be better off with addons bought outside steam.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How is the FSX: Steam Edition - Palo Alto Airport Add-On? I commute between SF and Mountain View, with Palo Alto in the middle

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

I've missed about the last two years of simulating, should I stick to FSX, or buy the steam version then reinstall everything that I own over on that version? I assume most of it will be compatible?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Depends on what you want to fly and your budget?

If money is no object and you want big rear end jets, buy p3d (the pmdg stuff is not cheap)

If you want to putter around in GA buy xplane or fsx.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm p much 100% Prepar3D 2.5 and all I do is GA. P3D does stuff like volumetric fog, that alone makes it worthwhile. I haven't been hosed by clouds and fog I couldn't see before flying into them since I switched over.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Night vfr is way better on xplane which I use far more than fog, which I know to expect given tag/metar

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why does FSX constantly run like poo poo all the time even on good rigs? I'm trying to make this turd of a game look good but its actively fighting me. Its a shame the only good F-18 sim out there is on FSX right now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Phi230 posted:

Why does FSX constantly run like poo poo all the time even on good rigs? I'm trying to make this turd of a game look good but its actively fighting me. Its a shame the only good F-18 sim out there is on FSX right now.

It'd 32-bit and not very optimized.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Google fibre frame time fraction. Dropping it to .15 on my PC made a world of difference.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Decision made by engineers over a decade ago about how much work to give the video card underestimated the future of video cards. See also Simcity 4.

Have you tried the latest version of BMS? It has a Hornet sim. (Don't know if it is a good sim though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Phi230 posted:

Why does FSX constantly run like poo poo all the time even on good rigs? I'm trying to make this turd of a game look good but its actively fighting me.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Release date(s): (US and Canada) October 10, 2006