Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You have to be careful with the "all you can eat" concept in America since you have the fattest people in the world there with the deepest stomachs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
you say that but anytime I've gone to any all you can eat sushi/Korean bbq it's always the Asians who eat for a solid 3 hours straight.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

You have to be careful with the "all you can eat" concept in America since you have the fattest people in the world there with the deepest stomachs

At one point the world hot dog eating champ was Japanese. Didn't have all that fat banding that keeps American fatties from sucking down those sausages.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

syscall girl posted:

At one point the world hot dog eating champ was Japanese. Didn't have all that fat banding that keeps American fatties from sucking down those sausages.

actually most of the top competitive eaters now have pretty athletic physiques, including the entire top ten

also there arent any ranked japanese people in competitive eating anymore (miki sudo doesnt count)

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bro Dad posted:

actually most of the top competitive eaters now have pretty athletic physiques, including the entire top ten

also there arent any ranked japanese people in competitive eating anymore (miki sudo doesnt count)

Do you get like a newsletter or something?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Do you get like a newsletter or something?

i googled it

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

nerdz posted:

I'm fascinated by japanese sweets, in that they aren't sweet flavor bombs, but more subdued stuff you could just keep on eating forever.

Post more cool japanese sweets/desserts

I've always been partial to mitarashi dango - basically balls of mochi with a fairly sticky sweet sauce all over it.

My grandparents would always have some wagashi, so I kind of looked forward to it whenever I visited.

I think I really appreciated the craftsmanship, and as awesome as each tiny bit was, it always felt like a waste. It's really the kind of food that would justify instagramming what you're about to eat.

And then there's zunda mochi. Mochi covered in a paste made of crushed edamame, which is a Tohoku delicacy.

This is god-tier new years food. Ugly as gently caress, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

I remember that MTV special on the hot dog guy. He actually worked out like crazy because he was able to develop his stomach muscles to the point where it made it even easier to gulp down food.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I've always been partial to mitarashi dango - basically balls of mochi with a fairly sticky sweet sauce all over it.

And then there's zunda mochi. Mochi covered in a paste made of crushed edamame, which is a Tohoku delicacy.

This is god-tier new years food. Ugly as gently caress, though.

Wait, Dango is supposed to be sweet? I bought some at a cherry blossom fest and it was pretty much mochi but the sauce was like thick soy sauce :( Not even salty sweet, like salted caramel can be. I couldn't finish it.

What does the Linda Blaire Zunda Mochi taste like?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Wedemeyer posted:

Wait, Dango is supposed to be sweet? I bought some at a cherry blossom fest and it was pretty much mochi but the sauce was like thick soy sauce :( Not even salty sweet, like salted caramel can be. I couldn't finish it.

What does the Linda Blaire Zunda Mochi taste like?

Mitarashi dango, as I remember, is sweet but in a subtle way. I believe the sauce is based on soy sauce, but it's subtly sweetened.

Zunda mochi basically tastes like very sticky edamame. Because it's chopped up and crushed, it's not actually a paste, so there is a rough texture to it. At least that's how my grandma made it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Mezzanine posted:

Kinako Mochi (aka Abekawa Mochi aka Shingen Mochi) is god-tier Japanese dessert. So simple, yet so delicious.

Yessss, thats the one!

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

Those prepackaged ones you can buy at the supermarket are super sweet so it probably depends on who's making it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
brah i love kinako mochi, we grew up with that poo poo because it's just a common cross-cultural dessert in hawaii and it's satisfying because unlike murican-style whitebread snacks, the mochi is super filling so you don't really overeat it

mystes posted:

If you were thinking that modern Japan doesn't eat dessert foods at all, that's laughable. I mean, Japan has loving all-you-can eat cake places, which is somehow a concept that America hasn't even figured out (although presumably we have all-you-can-eat buffets that include cake).

where the gently caress is this restaurant and how the gently caress did i miss it

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
TOKYO, JAPAN -- ERRANT SANDSTORM FROM NORTHERN CHINA AND MONGOLIA (2013):

(Warning: Volume)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XoOTWO67s&t=5s

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
On the topic of all you can eat I was with a friend (we're both gross fat people, aka American) in Yokohama Chinatown and there were a bunch of all you can eat chinese places. I think they were all advertised for like 7 or 8 bux? The one we chose had it set up so that there were two menus. The one with less offerings was the 7 dollar all-you-can-eat while the larger menu was like 15. We made sure to get value out of the 7 dollar menu but there were a lot of Japanese people that'd come in, order off the 15 menu, and only order maybe 2 or 3 small plates.

It was really weird. Like, why would you go to a all you can eat and order like 2 things (probably worth 2 dollars each, max) off the expensive menu and leave?

As gross fat Americans (he lives there, I was visiting) we made sure to extract as much value as possible.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Someone earlier asked about Japanese desserts and I got curious. There's a lot of ice cream and green incoming.

DESSERTS IN JAPAN -- ASSORTED:

Matcha green tea cakes:

Matcha green tea ice cream:

Sweet potato and mochi swirled soft-serve:

Lavender soft-serve:

Black sesame soft-serve:

????:

Honey toast:

Japanese warm thick toast dessert with whipped cream, honey, matcha powder, vanilla ice cream, green tea ice cream, azuki bean paste and mochi:

Bear and happy face ice cream crepes:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

is japan obsessed with bodily fluids? The answer is yes, scientists agree

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BambooEarpick posted:

On the topic of all you can eat I was with a friend (we're both gross fat people, aka American) in Yokohama Chinatown and there were a bunch of all you can eat chinese places. I think they were all advertised for like 7 or 8 bux? The one we chose had it set up so that there were two menus. The one with less offerings was the 7 dollar all-you-can-eat while the larger menu was like 15. We made sure to get value out of the 7 dollar menu but there were a lot of Japanese people that'd come in, order off the 15 menu, and only order maybe 2 or 3 small plates.

It was really weird. Like, why would you go to a all you can eat and order like 2 things (probably worth 2 dollars each, max) off the expensive menu and leave?

As gross fat Americans (he lives there, I was visiting) we made sure to extract as much value as possible.

Was it a Chinese or Japanese thing to go to a buffet and stack your plate about a meter tall as more of a prank than a necessity?

Then the buffet's started disallowing it.

It was a real art form.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

syscall girl posted:

Was it a Chinese or Japanese thing to go to a buffet and stack your plate about a meter tall as more of a prank than a necessity?

It was a real art form.

I think most buffets let you use as many plates as you want. I've only eaten at one buffet in Japan mind you.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

is japan obsessed with bodily fluids? The answer is yes, scientists agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KormVG41S9U

mystes
May 31, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

brah i love kinako mochi, we grew up with that poo poo because it's just a common cross-cultural dessert in hawaii and it's satisfying because unlike murican-style whitebread snacks, the mochi is super filling so you don't really overeat it

where the gently caress is this restaurant and how the gently caress did i miss it
OK, apparently that image is a lie, because I just took the first thing that appeared in google. It's from an inn in Tochigi which really has an all-you-can-eat cake buffet, but only for guests staying there.

Here is a photo from a place in Shinjuku, Mouffetard de Paris, that looks pretty good and really is a restaurant that has all-you-can-eat cake (but they aren't as good as packing tons of stuff into one photo):

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
For something that is so decidedly not japanese, the strawberry shortcake in Japan was certainly so much better than I had anywhere else.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
for real right? they take their desserts fuckin seriously. that's a kind of culinary culture i can get behind

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Whens the last time someone in japan committed seppuku

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Dazai did it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

amusinginquiry posted:

That guy in The Man in the High Castle.

Oh wait, that was fiction.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
As I have Japanese as a second language, my parents were wanting to take me to Japan with them when they go in a few years to use me as a translator, while being relatively excited for this experience at the same time, I'm a bit worried as what to expect. For the most part knowing them I'd be thinking they'd be sticking around Tokyo, what am I to expect when I go there for the first time?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

amusinginquiry posted:

Mishima in 1970 was the last major one. Probably someone since then who didn't make the news as much, but he was the last famous occurrence.

Poodge posted:

As I have Japanese as a second language, my parents were wanting to take me to Japan with them when they go in a few years to use me as a translator, while being relatively excited for this experience at the same time, I'm a bit worried as what to expect. For the most part knowing them I'd be thinking they'd be sticking around Tokyo, what am I to expect when I go there for the first time?

This is a broad-rear end question and kinda pointless when asked a few years in advance.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

syscall girl posted:

It was a real art form.

Nope, Pizza hut in China.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poodge posted:

you'll be ok as long as you teach them to recognize "do you want a receipt" and then say "no"

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

LimburgLimbo posted:

Mishima in 1970 was the last major one. Probably someone since then who didn't make the news as much, but he was the last famous occurrence.

Mishima must of been a crazy dude

All I know of him is from reading Acts of Worship and watching that trippy paul schrader movie about him

I wonder how hed feel about anime

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

This video is always relevant to any thread regarding Asia.

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wedNMxNdkMM

NSFW

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Poodge posted:

i don't know where you're from, but i'd guess you could expect to be in a foreign country

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hard to say, no one has ever shared their travel experiences online before

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
idk y every1 doesnt just blast anavar when they feel like it

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
TY RYAN CHESHIRE

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Poodge posted:

Since you're asking a few years advance, I recommend watching the entire Begin Japanology series (it's on Youtube and it owns), watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi (it's on Netflix and it owns) and read the entire thread.

Also, reading non-fiction about an area before visiting gives you a 1,000% greater ability to engage and enjoy your environments as you travel.

And don't overlook infrastructure and the like. Tokyo has some Mines of Moria action going on with a system designed to drain floods and they do tours.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
i read goontrading

y didnt the others ;f

maybe they did too? IDK