Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also, if they won't let you take the car for a PPI, that provides you with a very useful data point.

Your advice that tipped me into getting a PPI saved me. Fifty bucks, and:
All tires mismatched and weatherchecked. Left rear tire had a broken cord, right rear was worn unevenly. The front right lateral strut rod bushing squeaked when I drove it and there was evidence of a prior collision related to that area of the car. The front right wheel bearings/brakes were squeaking too. Rear brakes were at 25%, the accessory belts were worn and cracking, it was leaking oil at the distributor and valve cover gasket.

On top of all this, they suggested that the timing belt had NOT in fact been replaced a couple days ago, despite the shiny sticker (the only clean thing in the engine area. They also pointed out to me while we all looked at it that there was no sign the cover had even been removed or been touched with a wrench - everything was dusty.)

Again, your pushing me into bothering with a PPI saved me. Totally worth the 50 bucks - I don't have much of an eye for that kind of thing with cars.

I'm not going back to that shop/mechanic, heh - he actually got upset at the guys who did the PPI and mentioned slander related to the timing belt thing, and called them directly.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

sandpiper posted:

All tires mismatched and weatherchecked. Left rear tire had a broken cord, right rear was worn unevenly. The front right lateral strut rod bushing squeaked when I drove it and there was evidence of a prior collision related to that area of the car. The front right wheel bearings/brakes were squeaking too. Rear brakes were at 25%, the accessory belts were worn and cracking, it was leaking oil at the distributor and valve cover gasket.

On top of all this, they suggested that the timing belt had NOT in fact been replaced a couple days ago, despite the shiny sticker (the only clean thing in the engine area. They also pointed out to me while we all looked at it that there was no sign the cover had even been removed or been touched with a wrench - everything was dusty.)

Again, your pushing me into bothering with a PPI saved me. Totally worth the 50 bucks - I don't have much of an eye for that kind of thing with cars.

I'm not going back to that shop/mechanic, heh - he actually got upset at the guys who did the PPI and mentioned slander related to the timing belt thing, and called them directly.

Frame this post and put it in the OP.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sandpiper posted:

:hf: good for you and I'm glad you took the advice!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah I didn't most of that- here's a car I like that appears to be cheaper, what do you think of it?

Looks fine. The 1.4L Turbo is a good engine but maybe slightly less reliable long term than the 1.6. "Certified" isn't worth poo poo. I had that exact car's twin as a rental and it was fine. See if you can check maintenance records and service intervals and make sure the requisite work has been done.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Sandpiper:
A: you followed forum advice and it paid off. That is a forum record. This is worth one none snarky reply in the legal advice thread.*
B: only $50 for that. You should keep going to the dude who did the ppi.

* only applies if I remember. "Get a lawyer" is not a snarky reply.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

nm posted:

Sandpiper:
A: you followed forum advice and it paid off. That is a forum record. This is worth one none snarky reply in the legal advice thread.*
B: only $50 for that. You should keep going to the dude who did the ppi.

* only applies if I remember. "Get a lawyer" is not a snarky reply.

Yeah, they were real helpful and nice people.

I had a bit of a funny moment later on because I walked back over to the PPI place and asked the front desk guy a couple more things, and the place where I had been looking at the car happened to make an angry call to the front desk the same time as I walked in their door for the second time, so I got to see a bit of that.

I kinda hope I don't get dragged into some legal dispute regarding slander (which that guy mentioned, as I said before) but they even referred me to a reliable shop in their opinion. Those guys were troopers.

Again, glad I bothered to post in this thread first. I almost got suckered because I'm on a time limit and I do need a car relatively quickly because I can't do my job without it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sandpiper posted:

Yeah, they were real helpful and nice people.

I had a bit of a funny moment later on because I walked back over to the PPI place and asked the front desk guy a couple more things, and the place where I had been looking at the car happened to make an angry call to the front desk the same time as I walked in their door for the second time, so I got to see a bit of that.

I kinda hope I don't get dragged into some legal dispute regarding slander (which that guy mentioned, as I said before) but they even referred me to a reliable shop in their opinion. Those guys were troopers.

Again, glad I bothered to post in this thread first. I almost got suckered because I'm on a time limit and I do need a car relatively quickly because I can't do my job without it.

"To the best of my recollection I informed them I would not be purchasing the vehicle and they began yelling at me so I left."

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Is it safe to assume if someone lists a car at 33% under kbb that it either a scam or the car is going to explode.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Calidus posted:

Is it safe to assume if someone lists a car at 33% under kbb that it either a scam or the car is going to explode.

KBB isn't that accurate. See what cars are listed for on CL or otherwise. That price may be pretty accurate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sandpiper posted:

I kinda hope I don't get dragged into some legal dispute regarding slander (which that guy mentioned, as I said before)

For a whole slew of reasons you really don't need to worry about this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I want a car that is good on gas mileage, that is reliable, and I can get used for relatively cheap ($9,000 or less, but $6500 would be ideal).

How is the Toyota Yaris? I keep seeing it online.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Looks fine. The 1.4L Turbo is a good engine but maybe slightly less reliable long term than the 1.6. "Certified" isn't worth poo poo. I had that exact car's twin as a rental and it was fine. See if you can check maintenance records and service intervals and make sure the requisite work has been done.

I know I've been doing a lot of back and forth, but I'm looking at this thing now, which I'm hoping to get over 5 years. What do you think of it? Is 44k+ a lot for a '14?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Professor Shark posted:

I know I've been doing a lot of back and forth, but I'm looking at this thing now, which I'm hoping to get over 5 years. What do you think of it? Is 44k+ a lot for a '14?

Not really, but yikes at a 5 year note on whatever $9k canadian is, like 6.5? Are you sure you can afford a car?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I want a car that is good on gas mileage, that is reliable, and I can get used for relatively cheap ($9,000 or less, but $6500 would be ideal).

How is the Toyota Yaris? I keep seeing it online.

Same here, but an automatic. I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing as a warning sign when some dealers list a car as an automatic when I can clearly see it's a loving manual! I know poo poo all about cars but I am looking for a new used one, and even I know what that loving stick is by the e-brake!

I currently have a 99 Altima that has 245k miles on her. I know she's about due to die but is that high a mileage odd for a car or standard for Nissans?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IRQ posted:

Not really, but yikes at a 5 year note on whatever $9k canadian is, like 6.5? Are you sure you can afford a car?

I'm going to take a stab at they don't have a few grand saved up so they can't go buy a 10 year old honda because no one will give a loan on it..

I don't know how lovely your credit/dads credit is.. but if It's I think 710-720 (These are american numbers not sure how Canadians do credit numbers) he should qualify for either a CPO low interest loan, or Low interest new loan (2.99 for 60 months is the deal right now).. you may find that a brand spaking new fit LX may be about the same payment for a brand new friggin car..
I just ran some numbers and a new 2016 fit DX will run you 213 a month to lease for 4 years, or 294 to buy @ 5 years 6 years puts it at 252. Less if you have some savings to put down

I'm not sure how canada works but a co-signer is as equally as responsible if pay doesn't happen so he isnt' gaining anythign by only co-signing other than the car will be registered in your name. Honeslty see if you can convince him to put it in his name fully if it works that way in Canada, it wont' build your credit if you pay on time.. but will save you money.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

IRQ posted:

My dad wants me to go 4 years, $250/mth, which combined with my ~$100/mth insurance would put me at $350. My bills add up to be just short of $1000/mth, putting very little on my modest credit card/student debt, and my minimum earnings are about $1450 a month as a substitute teacher :(

My parents have assured me that they'll help me out whenever I feel I can't make payment, and there was apparently even some discussion about just buying the car for me and paying them back, but I want to build credit and do as much as I can.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

But yeah, I've been worrying non stop for the past few days, despite my girlfriend and parents telling me it's okay

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
How old are you/driving history? $100/month insurance seems quite high to me, maybe thats a Canada thing too though. Over the 4 years it'd take you to pay it off that's $5k worth of insurance on a $9k car.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's just me rounding up from the $990/yr, $1M coverage that they quoted me, I guess it's more like $87/mth

Driving History: I've been driving since I was 22, so only 7 years, no accidents aside from when someone drove into me in a parking lot

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100% Dundee posted:

How old are you/driving history? $100/month insurance seems quite high to me, maybe thats a Canada thing too though. Over the 4 years it'd take you to pay it off that's $5k worth of insurance on a $9k car.

Liability has a minimum cost so when you crash your car with theirs you can replace their car. I assume half of that is comprehensive, which you may or may not need on a $9k car depending on if you can afford the risk exposure.

Make sure you're looking into bundling your insurances such as homeowners/renters (fire policy), car, etc. Consider going on your parents insurance if you're living with them. It may net out cheaper especially if they have been with a provider for a long time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

H110Hawk posted:

Liability has a minimum cost so when you crash your car with theirs you can replace their car. I assume half of that is comprehensive, which you may or may not need on a $9k car depending on if you can afford the risk exposure.

Make sure you're looking into bundling your insurances such as homeowners/renters (fire policy), car, etc. Consider going on your parents insurance if you're living with them. It may net out cheaper especially if they have been with a provider for a long time.

If he's getting a loan, he needs comp coverage. I'm sure it is a term of the loan.
$990/year seems fairly reasonable for full coverage with a $1 mil cap. Do shop around though:
My prior insurance company thought nothing of a heavily modified subaru (disclosed with mods covered), but buy a 100hp Mazda2? gently caress no, they wanted nothing of that poo poo. They wanted like triple to cover that car. Shop every car you consider at multiple insurance companies.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 7, 2016

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Cross posting from my own AI post:

dpack_1 posted:

I'm thinking of getting myself a low end Mercedes CL500.

Is there some ridiculous horror story for these things, from what limited experience I have with them they all seem to be well put together and got that whole german engineering thing going for them.

Would this be a terrible purchase for social driving, around 5000 miles a year, with perhaps the occassional euro road trip?

dpack_1 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 7, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There have been a lot of very different cars wearing the CL500 badge. Do you mean the W140 (early 1990s), the C215 (late 90s early 200s), or the C216 (last generation)?

German engineering - why design something to be repairable with off the shelf tooling when you could sell proprietary tools instead?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There have been a lot of very different cars wearing the CL500 badge. Do you mean the W140 (early 1990s), the C215 (late 90s early 200s), or the C216 (last generation)?

German engineering - why design something to be repairable with off the shelf tooling when you could sell proprietary tools instead?

The 90's-2005 era. Something like THIS

And yeah, i know they're a bitch on any repairs, but from what i understand the V8's they put in these things were somewhat bullet proof. It's just a lot of little things that could go wrong which add up?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Well, that didn't load, but the C215 is not very reliable. Do not get AIRMATIC. The engine is great, but yes, the rest of the car will fall apart.

If you are willing to budget a decent chunk of cash for repairs, go for it. They're great cars. But don't expect this to be a reliable car. I would prefer a W140 anyway.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My car friends at work advise me against getting a Chevy or Ford, but Honda is okay, Nissan is better. They got into a fight about VW bugs being better or worse than other non-US cars.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

My car friends at work advise me against getting a Chevy or Ford, but Honda is okay, Nissan is better. They got into a fight about VW bugs being better or worse than other non-US cars.

Your friends smoke a lot of crack do they?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Cowslips Warren posted:

You can't judge reliability just by brand. Chevy and Ford have made some truly terrible cars, but a Ford Focus with the Zetec or Duratec engine is a pretty solid little econobox - and the "yuck, Ford, my grandpa had a Pinto and that thing was trash" factor keeps prices lower on the used market.

When you're looking at used cars that have been on the road for more than a few years, condition also gets more important than initial quality. I'd rather have a Chevy Cavalier that was babied and given every maintenance item on schedule than a Civic or Camry that was beat on by a series of high school/college students and given oil changes every 20,000 miles.

Assuming you're talking about the VW Beetle that's been produced since the 1990s, avoid avoid avoid. They made a lot of sacrifices to get the classic rear-engined Volkswagen shape out of a front-engine platform, and the engines they put in there were never reliable. In general, German cars tend to be a lot stricter on maintenance requirements then American or Japanese - if you vant ze pure driving experience they are good at that, but they also come up with scheduled maintenance that requires you to remove the entire front of the car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, that didn't load, but the C215 is not very reliable. Do not get AIRMATIC. The engine is great, but yes, the rest of the car will fall apart.

If you are willing to budget a decent chunk of cash for repairs, go for it. They're great cars. But don't expect this to be a reliable car. I would prefer a W140 anyway.

All CLs had ABC standard. I hope he likes spending money and fixing cars more than driving them!

You're almost certainly better off just leasing a new E400 Coupe for about $800/month.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dpack_1 posted:

The 90's-2005 era.
And yeah, i know they're a bitch on any repairs, but from what i understand the V8's they put in these things were somewhat bullet proof. It's just a lot of little things that could go wrong which add up?

"Add up" - You will never get out of a repair for under $1,000. This is not an exaggeration. You might get the car "cheap" but you will have a payment.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
What is your guys impression of the mazda3 hatchback 08-12? I have been looking really hard at honda fits the past week and do think they are a solid car but the look of the madza is way more my taste. If it comes down that the Fit is way above the competition for a smaller hatchback then I will go with that, otherwise I am curious my other close quality options.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ai loves the mazda 3.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

nm posted:

Ai loves the mazda 3.

Everyone loves the Mazda 3.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ingenium posted:

What is your guys impression of the mazda3 hatchback 08-12? I have been looking really hard at honda fits the past week and do think they are a solid car but the look of the madza is way more my taste. If it comes down that the Fit is way above the competition for a smaller hatchback then I will go with that, otherwise I am curious my other close quality options.

08-12 Mazda3 hatch was only available with the 2.5l engine, and is significantly thirstier than the 1.5l Fit. Maybe with gas prices these days it doesn't matter that much. You should try and get a 13+ skyactiv.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Honda CRZ is a reliable car right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Honda CRZ is a reliable car right?

It's also pointless and lovely.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's also pointless and lovely.

How so?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

It only has two seats and a parcel shelf, it's about as useful as a Miata without any of the advantages. Despite being a hybrid it also doesn't get very good fuel economy.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
All right, I'm done now. The stress is over.

2003 Toyota Corolla, all the tires/brake stuff was done in summer 2015, the accessory belts actually looked new this time (and the engine wasn't like washed pre-sale) and the car doesn't squeak.

The only real problems with it are some potential bearing issues (for Corollas, that's really cheap) and the paint on the car has a few spots where it's dulled/finish worn, but that one's cosmetic. The guys I went to for a PPI said it was a great car, but when they gave me their quote on what it'd take to fix a few of the minor issues, I was surprised - it turns out they overcharge like gently caress according to another mechanic I talked to.

Either way, I'm really happy with my purchase and it's thanks to this thread convincing me to get a PPI on that Accord last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

It's a slow, heavy car that also gets terrible fuel economy for a hybrid. It's literally the worst of all worlds and you're better off getting any cheap used hatchback with a normal gas engine.