Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

What is the appropriate verb for the activity performed on a rowing machine?

Erging, believe it or not.

E: yup, there's still not a better thing to point out than that 32 years ago today, the Miners' Strike started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah. For the record, I use the past tense not because something horrible happened to that relative, but because he got treatment and support and is now in a significantly better place, mentally speaking, but a significant part of that was thanks to the folks supporting him doing some serious work to destigmatise the spectrum. Like, having Asperger's will mean that you inherently have more difficulty with certain things, like reading social cues and organising yourself (the technical term is 'impaired executive functioning'), but it's a pretty integral part of you and how your brain's set up, and framing it purely as a negative you'll have to deal with for the rest of your life is a pretty brutal burden for someone on the spectrum to bear, and it's nice to play up the positives and the different-but-not-bad stuff as well.

On the upside, it means you can post in the anime forum

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Aspergers changes the whole worldview and thought process of those who have it - I would be a different person to who I am now without it, and would not want to be "cured" unlike say schizophrenics where they want to stop hearing voices in their head. But it has negatively impacted my life, and I would probably be a healthier and more well rounded person without it. Although it is hard to know what parts of you are due to Aspergers and what parts are just you and your upbringing.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

StoneOfShame posted:

Rowing is cool and good all sports are not posh by definition even if some posh people do them. Except of course hunting, jousting and the Eton wall game.

She's big on domestic abuse, women's rights etc as she used to work at a few women's charities, she does often come across as very aggressive and for want of a better word mouthy, these aren't necessarily bad qualities if used properly I mean Tom Watson has been aggressive and mouthy to great effect but its about knowing when not to run around shouting at people. How long until she says something really aggressive at someone and the Guardian does a piece about how all her critics are just intimidated by strong women?

Edit: She is a million times better than her predecessor Hemming who is a massive oval office.

Since I actually know her I'll chime in.

She's a fairly shameless self promoter and money is massively important to her. She employs her husband as her office manager on 40k a year, and was parachuted in as parliamentary candidate with some dubious goings on.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/new-mp-jess-phillips-employs-9565645

She stayed on as councillor for Longbridge, a ward nowhere near Yardley after being elected, simply not attending the council meetings while still claiming the 12k salary for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Phillips_(politician)

She has a tendency to tell people what they want to hear, and routinely tells people different things.

She was a PR person for a domestic violence charity, she never ran anything. Business Development Managers are essentially PRs/Fundraisers, I have to deal with enough of them from colleges.

Her mother was a director in the NHS, and her early career was running an events company that worked for the NHS.

She is a little like Danzcuk, in that she is well aware that criticising Jeremy Corbyn will get her in the paper, and some of those stories will involve payment. Danzcuk was paid £40k for media appearances and articles.

She isn't quite a Blairite, but given Corbynism has a huge streak of activist reaction against careerism and cronyism it isn't something that she likes.

Yardley Ward doesn't have ward meetings, and while that arrangement predated her, and is part of the rot in Birmingham Labour Party (Ladywood ward hasn't had a ward meeting this century), she isn't in favour of changing that, since all she would have to say is 'let's have a ward meeting.'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab you fucker you've been gone like a week.

Also help me out I'm blanking like a chump: where is Karen from?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Namtab you fucker you've been gone like a week.

Also help me out I'm blanking like a chump: where is Karen from?

Kiniro mosaic

My labour party membership stuff arrived about a week ago. all I've had in terms of communication is a couple of emails inviting me to donate to win tickets to a dinner party where I may meet jeremy corbyn and one invite asking me to join in on economy action day, but I'm out of the country that weekend.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Depending on where you are it can take a while for the local party to get your contact details. It should start to build up in terms of email volume.

(Also thanks, of course it was Mosaic >_<)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Depending on where you are it can take a while for the local party to get your contact details. It should start to build up in terms of email volume.

(Also thanks, of course it was Mosaic >_<)

It's the middle of buckinghamshire, for all I know the landlords teamed up with chequers and murdered the local labour party

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, find out about your CLP, that's where most of the action is, but if you're in a Tory heartland you may well be p. much hosed I'm afraid.

Just keep a weather eye out for national campaigns happening locally to you. For instance, there's another Junior Doctors' Strike this week...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, find out about your CLP, that's where most of the action is, but if you're in a Tory heartland you may well be p. much hosed I'm afraid.

Just keep a weather eye out for national campaigns happening locally to you. For instance, there's another Junior Doctors' Strike this week...

Doctors are striking, but nurses aren't

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Thundercloud posted:

Since I actually know her I'll chime in.

She's a fairly shameless self promoter and money is massively important to her. She employs her husband as her office manager on 40k a year, and was parachuted in as parliamentary candidate with some dubious goings on.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/new-mp-jess-phillips-employs-9565645

She stayed on as councillor for Longbridge, a ward nowhere near Yardley after being elected, simply not attending the council meetings while still claiming the 12k salary for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Phillips_(politician)

She has a tendency to tell people what they want to hear, and routinely tells people different things.

She was a PR person for a domestic violence charity, she never ran anything. Business Development Managers are essentially PRs/Fundraisers, I have to deal with enough of them from colleges.

Her mother was a director in the NHS, and her early career was running an events company that worked for the NHS.

She is a little like Danzcuk, in that she is well aware that criticising Jeremy Corbyn will get her in the paper, and some of those stories will involve payment. Danzcuk was paid £40k for media appearances and articles.

She isn't quite a Blairite, but given Corbynism has a huge streak of activist reaction against careerism and cronyism it isn't something that she likes.

Yardley Ward doesn't have ward meetings, and while that arrangement predated her, and is part of the rot in Birmingham Labour Party (Ladywood ward hasn't had a ward meeting this century), she isn't in favour of changing that, since all she would have to say is 'let's have a ward meeting.'

Cheers for that so she's not really one of the good ones then I was only trying to discern what I could from interviews, I've never met her as I moved out of Yardley when Hemming was still in. Birmingham Labour is pretty poo poo and corrupt. So how many actually good Labour MPs are there is it just Skinner, Corbyn, McDonnell and Watson.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

You always found a way to strike me. *uguus*

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Namtab posted:

Not yet, no. Give them time.

Consultants, too. Hunt will not rest until the entire NHS walks out and he gets to look vindicated in the papers saying they're workshy as he sells their employer to the lowest bidder who will give him the best paid job when he eventually quits politics.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Not yet, no. Give them time.

Consultants, too. Hunt will not rest until the entire NHS walks out and he gets to look vindicated in the papers saying they're workshy as he sells their employer to the lowest bidder who will give him the best paid job when he eventually quits politics.

Speaking as a nurse, we probably won't strike.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Namtab posted:

Speaking as a nurse, we probably won't strike.

Fair enough, thought that might be what you were getting at.

I confess to being a little surprised, the whole bursary fuckery is pretty vile.

And they've got at least 4 years to be progressively shittier still.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Fair enough, thought that might be what you were getting at.

I confess to being a little surprised, the whole bursary fuckery is pretty vile.

And they've got at least 4 years to be progressively shittier still.

Much like doctors, nurses generally don't strike to begin with, and the biggest nurses union is fairly anti-strike.

That said, I'm pretty sure contract negotiation is this year so let's see what hunt tries with us.

E: the bursary thing is bad, but there's a lot of tory nurses

Namtab fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 7, 2016

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

My mum is a nurse and said she wouldn't strike if she still lived in England because she wouldn't do anything to harm the patients.

She was a mental health nurse in Norwich so she wouldn't have had a job to strike anyway :shrug:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Goongrats Pissflaps on getting submitted into the SA funny quotes thread.

By someone who never posts in this thread, which is a little weird, but oh well.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Namtab posted:

My labour party membership stuff arrived about a week ago. all I've had in terms of communication is a couple of emails inviting me to donate to win tickets to a dinner party where I may meet jeremy corbyn and one invite asking me to join in on economy action day, but I'm out of the country that weekend.

Yeah, the party will mostly ignore leave you alone until they need donations/votes/chumps for doorknocking.

If you want to be engaged with you're probably going to need to track down and pounce on your CLP or get involved in something like CfS.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Darth Walrus posted:

but it's a pretty integral part of you and how your brain's set up, and framing it purely as a negative you'll have to deal with for the rest of your life is a pretty brutal burden for someone on the spectrum to bear, and it's nice to play up the positives and the different-but-not-bad stuff as well.

Good for them if they feel better with it. But it is a negative no matter how much people try to sugercoat it.

Though I am sickened with being associated with it and anyone with it. I've gotten far better in developing a thicker skin and being more adaptable to society with seperating myself from the positive pampering and the people around me during that time in general. The best thing I did was to not acknowledge it at all and throw disdain and keep away at anything relating to it including the people with it. I matured a lot more then most of the students when I was a teenager because of keeping away from that poo poo and I didn't mind because I wasn't very socialable either. I still feel disgust and anger whenever I do notice people with it when they display signs that they haven't 'adapted' to society's norms.

StoneOfShame posted:

Cheers for that so she's not really one of the good ones then I was only trying to discern what I could from interviews, I've never met her as I moved out of Yardley when Hemming was still in. Birmingham Labour is pretty poo poo and corrupt. So how many actually good Labour MPs are there is it just Skinner, Corbyn, McDonnell and Watson.

My local SNP MP Alan brown would of been a labour MP ironically if I rememberd correctly from an older friend of mine who knew him. Though I think the reasons for heading to the SNP were preety much what you expect.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25268/alan_brown/kilmarnock_and_loudoun/votes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Good for them if they feel better with it. But it is a negative no matter how much people try to sugercoat it.

Though I am sickened with being associated with it and anyone with it. I've gotten far better in developing a thicker skin and being more adaptable to society with seperating myself from the positive pampering and the people around me during that time in general. The best thing I did was to not acknowledge it at all and throw disdain and keep away at anything relating to it including the people with it. I matured a lot more then most of the students when I was a teenager because of keeping away from that poo poo and I didn't mind because I wasn't very socialable either. I still feel disgust and anger whenever I do notice people with it when they display signs that they haven't 'adapted' to society's norms.

... oookay, whoa, you might want to chat to someone about that. Carrying around that degree of self-loathing is mad unhealthy.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Extreme0 posted:

I matured a lot more then most of the students when I was a teenager because of keeping away from that poo poo and I didn't mind because I wasn't very socialable either.

If you weren't very sociable, how would you even know this?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Darth Walrus posted:

... oookay, whoa, you might want to chat to someone about that. Carrying around that degree of self-loathing is mad unhealthy.

Heh. That's not even the bottom of the barrel of self-loathing.

Crashbee posted:

If you weren't very sociable, how would you even know this?

Teachers, staff and the like tend to say things and I honestly don't know why.

I had better discussions with adults then I did with students. I just did not like any of the students and it's not surprising considering what they talk about bores me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

There's a lot of people who can't help it, but I'm glad people who are different disgust you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Today's paper: more eu fighting. Cameron makes more enemies

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Goongrats Pissflaps on getting submitted into the SA funny quotes thread.

By someone who never posts in this thread, which is a little weird, but oh well.

And it only took 175k posts!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

... framing it purely as a negative you'll have to deal with for the rest of your life is a pretty brutal burden for someone on the spectrum to bear, and it's nice to play up the positives and the different-but-not-bad stuff as well.
There is actually a 'positive psychology' movement based on this idea; that 'traditional' clinical psychology is almost exclusively based on negatives and conditions that make a person worse than normal in some way, whereas in reality most things are a combination of good, bad and neutral aspects that can have the ability to make people better than normal in some way. A professor at my university focuses on positive psychology in dyslexia, I'm sure there are others who work on positive psychology in autism as well.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's not about being better than normal or worse than normal, it's just about being different and recognizing neurodiversity.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Thundercloud posted:

She is a little like Danzcuk, in that she is well aware that criticising Jeremy Corbyn will get her in the paper

Labour reshuffle: Jeremy Corbyn accused of being a misogynist by Jess Phillips

quote:

Jess Phillips, the MP for Birmingham Yardley, told BBC2’s Newsnight: “Had Tony Blair not given any of top jobs to the women – had that same make-up of his team existed – people would rightly have been up in arms.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Thundercloud posted:

I'm going to a ladywood meeting next week but I think it's just branch - it was such a huge hassle to join the party here, I needed three copies of ID that I don't think many young people will have eg paper bills, a council tax bill within three months (when birmingham city council only typically sends out one bill a year). I managed to scrape together some stuff that technically didn't fit the criteria (plus I wrote a short letter to go with them) but a friend of mine has been trying to join for three months or so without success

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

StoneOfShame posted:

Rowing is cool and good all sports are not posh by definition even if some posh people do them. Except of course hunting, jousting and the Eton wall game.
I think you'll find jousting has been gleefully reclaimed by the masses these days. All you need is a couple of shopping trolleys (or wheelie bins) and a supermarket car park. Maybe some cheap, strong cider.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So I think it's safe to say she's the new moron du jour that gets wheeled out to say something stupid about whatever Corbyn's done regardless of whether it was good or bad. Danczuk II

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

browsing a cycling group i came over this advertisement

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aliquid posted:

browsing a cycling group i came over this advertisement

Haha that's hilarious, "but apart from the wall..."

Also you left Ugur's name in there.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tesseraction posted:

So I think it's safe to say she's the new moron du jour that gets wheeled out to say something stupid about whatever Corbyn's done regardless of whether it was good or bad. Danczuk II

Don't forget Michael Dugher to tell us all how Corbyn will lose the working class.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Blair did have relatively more women in his cabinet, as well as being first to promote a woman to one of the big four (Margaret Beckett to Foreign Secretary, albeit only in 2006. She was not the first woman in the Big Four, being beaten by Thatcher). Gordon Brown then followed up with Jacqui Smith to Home Secretary.

That said, the point of this maneuvering is fairly transparent. New Labour roared to power on a raft of female MPs. Corbyn, on the other hand, is struggling to find loyalists for his shadow cabinet. There's only one Diane Abbott.

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 7, 2016

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
One of the scarier parts of that Jess Phillips puff piece:

The Graun posted:

“I am utterly ambitious,” she says. “I’m ambitious for the sake of being so, too. Not enough people are, and I think if you’re in any job, you should drat well believe you should get to the top. But while I can win the ground war [in my constituency], I can’t do anything about the air war.” What job would she like, in the fantasy world in which Labour is restored to power? “Home secretary.” Crikey. What a relief to hear a politician, and a female politician to boot, being honest about what it is that they really want.

I can't imagine how that could go horribly wrong at all.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

One of the scarier parts of that Jess Phillips puff piece:

I can't imagine how that could go horribly wrong at all.
She makes a compelling case for Full Anarchism Now.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Through the keyhole at Jess Phillips' house, a body pillow with a picture of Voldemort on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"Just give me loving power, I want it." Is a political message that I certainly see gaining traction.

• Locked thread