Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We wants it, the preciousssssssss.

loving snype. 1931, March 1st: Oswald Mosley forms the New Party, which later merges into the British Union of Fascists.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

One of the scarier parts of that Jess Phillips puff piece:

I can't imagine how that could go horribly wrong at all.

And this is the problem with modern politicians. They want power, but simply for it's own sake. Not power to create a better society, but just I want to be in charge.

The power of the state is like the One Ring in Lord of the Rings. It corrupts and destroys, and in the hands of even good people you have to be very careful.

In my role I have power over others. I can make decisions that cause people real hardship. I am essentially part of an unaccountable legal system that can take things away from people.

And I agonise over it, because people with that sort of power should discharge it responsibly, and should be mindful of the fact that power comes with the potential for victims.

As for the comment about the air war, not criticising Corbyn every chance she gets might have an effect on the air war.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

*searches for the releveant quotation*

Haha wow, apparently “Those who seek power are not worthy of that power” goes all the way back to Plato.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Paul.Power posted:

*searches for the releveant quotation*

Haha wow, apparently “Those who seek power are not worthy of that power” goes all the way back to Plato.

I should really read up on Greek philosophy, slamming people with two or three thousand year old quotes sounds like a fun time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Didn't Plato also say that democracy is a really lovely form of government due to idiots being able to vote in stupid ideas/people?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Didn't Plato also say that democracy is a really lovely form of government due to idiots being able to vote in stupid ideas/people?

I think he said it's not the optimal form of government and it would be better to be ruled by enlightened and compassionate aristocracy created from a society designed to instil rulers with those values or something.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

That checks out, Plato was one smart dude.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The only philosopher worthy of the name was Diogenes

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

OwlFancier posted:

I think he said it's not the optimal form of government and it would be better to be ruled by enlightened and compassionate aristocracy created from a society designed to instil rulers with those values or something.

The problem is politicians believe exactly the same thing and that they fit this description. Born to Rule, Divine Right, Establishment Entitlement.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ancient Greeks also liked to claim that the youth were destroying society and that it would all crumble thanks to them and their stupid loving fads.

So they were several thousand years ahead of the curve there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

As I recall it was a hierarchy of Philosopher King > Technocratic Aristocracy > Democracy. His arguments were that the corruptions of them get exponentially worse, in this case Dictator > Traditional Aristocracy > Mobocracy.

Of course, this was before we had the modern tools to Holocaust people or prepare the Killing Fields, so he might have revised his views somewhat given modern information.

We do live in a mobocracy, though, just a mobocracy of the press.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius and Seneca get a pass i guess even though seneca and I have a troubled relationship.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Also, if you're talking 'bout Greek conceptions of democracy it's worth remembering that the famous Athenian/pure/direct democracy is a very distant relative to our own. It was simultaneously much less representative (being open only to free male landowners over a certain age) and much more representative of the whims of those who qualified for the franchise by being a direct democracy rather than representative.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair representative democracy isn't working out that great for us either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pissflaps for philosopher king.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phoon posted:

I'm going to a ladywood meeting next week but I think it's just branch - it was such a huge hassle to join the party here, I needed three copies of ID that I don't think many young people will have eg paper bills, a council tax bill within three months (when birmingham city council only typically sends out one bill a year). I managed to scrape together some stuff that technically didn't fit the criteria (plus I wrote a short letter to go with them) but a friend of mine has been trying to join for three months or so without success

...that seems a bit hosed up. All I had to do was join up online and I automatically got my party card in the post and put on the Oxford and Abingdon mailing lists.
It shouldn't be harder to join Labour than it is to actually vote!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Pissflaps for philosopher king.

Philosopher blowjob queen of hollywood, surely?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Demarchy would be the best system for democracy.

At least it would make sure that all MPs didn't go to the same school.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

'Negro' replaced 'colored' as the preferred and polite word for Americans of African descent back when 'black' was considered offensive and derogatory and 'African' was considered to imply foreignness. And the euphemism treadmill keeps on rolling.

The historical term 'Colored' and 'people of color' aren't the same thing, though (the latter also includes Asians, Indians, hispanic people, etc).

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair representative democracy isn't working out that great for us either.

I'm instinctively in favour of direct democracy with a universal franchise but it has problems of scale at the level of a modern nation, I think.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh, the Graun has noticed that millenials are hosed http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/07/revealed-30-year-economic-betrayal-dragging-down-generation-y-income

Also shows a mild-loving of people in their mid-life crisis age range, so I guess we have that to look forward to, too.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I will graciously condescend to accept the titles of Dictator for Life and Pontifex Maximus.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm instinctively in favour of direct democracy with a universal franchise but it has problems of scale at the level of a modern nation, I think.

I am okay with it in a nation with a universally educated populace and a responsible press.

So basically I'm not okay with it in any existing nation except maybe Iceland.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82vl34mi4Iw

Explains the origin of the term. It then became "people of colour" to make sure that it wasn't gender-exclusive.

"People of colour" is a social union. A term of solidarity.

Surely UKMT would be approving of that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

The historical term 'Colored' and 'people of color' aren't the same thing, though (the latter also includes Asians, Indians, hispanic people, etc).
I know, I was more referring to the fact that racists will always take whatever term you prefer to be called and use it to be a shithead, because their key message is one of division. So you end up with a treadmill of "we prefer to be called X" "well we don't want Xs in our schools" where the key underlying point isn't the word but the people and eventually the word gets ruined by being tied to the society of the time and so you need a new one.

People of color will be ruined in the same way eventually.

e:

Oberleutnant posted:

I will graciously condescend to accept the titles of Dictator for Life and Pontifex Maximus.
Only if I can abbreviate it to Pnus on official correspondence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Again if wal-mart can payroll 2 million people profitably I think a government can handle 60 democratically.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I am okay with it in a nation with a universally educated populace and a responsible press.

So basically I'm not okay with it in any existing nation except maybe Iceland.
We need to abolish the state and all coercive systems of control and make a purely voluntary direct democracy :unsmigghh:

Ddraig posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82vl34mi4Iw

Explains the origin of the term. It then became "people of colour" to make sure that it wasn't gender-exclusive.

"People of colour" is a social union. A term of solidarity.

Surely UKMT would be approving of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xiL95jR44E

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Again if wal-mart can payroll 2 million people profitably I think a government can handle 60 democratically.

I don't think it's a problem of administration or infrastructure, just a problem of getting 70 or 300 million people to keep up with the sheer volume of poo poo the government does on a daily basis (locally, regionally, and nationally) and take an active interest. I'm not saying it's a reason not to do it, it's just a difficult element.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

I don't think it's a problem of administration or infrastructure, just a problem of getting 70 or 300 million people to keep up with the sheer volume of poo poo the government does on a daily basis (locally, regionally, and nationally) and take an active interest. I'm not saying it's a reason not to do it, it's just a difficult element.

GovBook.

Like Facebook except you can actually vote on all the retarded political posts that pop up on your timeline.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That just made me think of GoveBook. :stonkhat:

I don't know what that would be, but I know I don't like it. And that he'd think it's an excellent idea.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

We need to abolish the state and all coercive systems of control and make a purely voluntary direct democracy :unsmigghh:

I'll set up the wiki

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That just made me think of GoveBook. :stonkhat:

I don't know what that would be, but I know I don't like it. And that he'd think it's an excellent idea.

I'm trying to think of a social media joke name but I'm having trouble.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I'll set up the wiki

I'll make the website and design the tshirts, we can sell them on my etsy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm trying to think of a social media joke name but I'm having trouble.
Menshn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guvnr

Up to you whether it's political tumblr or grindr.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
http://www.room151.co.uk/treasury/gla-to-move-into-mortgaged-backed-securities/

This will end well.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Lmfao

:rip: London

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

Only if I can abbreviate it to Pnus on official correspondence.
Write an article about PNUS for PNAS imo

Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Remind me, did our mortgage-backed stuff go boom in 2007/8, or was that just the hilariously under-regulated interaction between the American housing and banking sectors that hosed everything up for everything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OwlFancier posted:

Guvnr

Up to you whether it's political tumblr or grindr.

That one's actually a black cab competitor to Uber.

• Locked thread