Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm here, and rolePM recieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
solid copy, big sky

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
humans suck

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Tommunist posted:

humans suck

##vote tommunist

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
tomm I'll claim if u do :wink:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

kordansk posted:

##vote tommunist

humans are the bad dudes you loving scum slipping piece of poo poo

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
asl?

583/i/mars

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

12/f/japan

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

tomm I'll claim if u do :wink:

not yet baby

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Confirming.
Let's see if this setup can indeed be broken with a massclaim.
Step 1 is to claim POWER or BACKUP.

Lumpen claims POWER

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Tommunist posted:

humans are the bad dudes you loving scum slipping piece of poo poo

:( you make me sad

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

kordansk posted:

:( you make me sad

i'm sorry nothing i say i mean personally

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Tommunist posted:

i'm sorry nothing i say i mean personally

naw i know, IT'S MAFIA. but why so defensive over the vote? seemed a bit over reactionary for basically a null read on a meaningless post.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Lumpen posted:

Confirming.

Lumpen claims POWER

wtf is this poo poo.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

kordansk posted:

naw i know, IT'S MAFIA. but why so defensive over the vote? seemed a bit over reactionary for basically a null read on a meaningless post.

your vote is based off me saying gently caress humans, humans are basically scum this game, so its reasonable to see this as a scum slip.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Tommunist posted:

your vote is based off me saying gently caress humans, humans are basically scum this game, so its reasonable to see this as a scum slip.

tell me more about what scum would do?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

kordansk posted:

tell me more about what scum would do?

????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
? ? ?
???????????
???????????
?
?
????????
?
??
? ? ??

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lumpen posted:

Confirming.

Lumpen claims POWER

Birdstrike claims HANDTURKEY

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

me in this game

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Lumpen posted:

Confirming.

Lumpen claims POWER

This is bad and also dumb

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Confirming!

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Confirming.

##vote: Aafter

This is how this works, right?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
you don't need the colon but yep. Good job voting scum :)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lumpen posted:

Confirming.

Lumpen claims POWER

yeah ya know what. This is worse than I first thought. Saying you want a massclaim is fine, but claiming a power role before waiting to see if anyone else will be on board with this is atrocious. I think this is horrifically fake and an attempt to take new players by surprise and out thw town roles. Nope.

##vote Lumpen

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you vote Lumpen for claiming a power role

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
like I can understand not wanting to mass claim, and thinking his move is stupid, and I could even see scum motivation in getting ahead of a mass claim, but the way Lumpen does it here is the most town favorable way to do this I think. It might not be kosher that he started a claim without thread consensus but I don't think it is particularly scummy, and lynching a power role in this setup is the worst thing you can do

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I actually think the way lumpen went off and claimed a power role immediately with no consensus is the least town favorable way to do this, so we will have to agree to disagree on that Jake.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

I actually think the way lumpen went off and claimed a power role immediately with no consensus is the least town favorable way to do this, so we will have to agree to disagree on that Jake.

Thats not what I meant. I mean the way he is approaching the mass claim in general, with having people claim power or backup first. I even acknowledged in the post you are talking about that I could see how him claiming without consensus is unkosher.

You are voting him for doing thing that you don't agree with but it doesn't feel like you are town hunting scum

##vote kashuno

You are probably a scum, that knows Lumpen is honest about being a power role, you want to stop a mass claim from happening, and lynch a power role because he did a thing you dont like

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
why would scum want to prevent a mass claim? We went through this in a prior nailbiter (when I was town), where I pointed out my opinion on how a mass claim is much more beneficial to the scum team and that opinion still stands.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

why would scum want to prevent a mass claim? We went through this in a prior nailbiter (when I was town), where I pointed out my opinion on how a mass claim is much more beneficial to the scum team and that opinion still stands.

Its definitely not that cut and dry and whether a claim benefits the town or scum more is probably debateable, but a day 1 mass claim definitely puts a ton of pressure on the scum team. If they do not CC, then the town power roles can protect each other and the player pool that could include scum is much smaller. If they do CC then you have situations where you know if player A is town then B is scum, which could help to solve the game in the end game

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

4 power roles out of 16 people, I think a power role claim is pretty drat balsy for scum to do, especially since they all have useful abilities.

I think roleclaiming is dumb since all it does is expose the 4 power roles.

I'd rather error on the side of Lumpen being a horrible mafia player

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
This game was to be the designated testing ground of the massclaimbreaksgame theory of King Burgundy's from before it started.

I feel this setup is so masterfully designed and exquisitely balanced that a D1 massclaim does not significantly disrupt the outcome.

To test this, the orthodox strategy at this point is for everyone to claim Power or Backup. The Scum and SK should claim Backup. Then we lynch the most suspicious of the Backup claimers, and the nightkills will target among the 5 Power claims, but the Doc has a better chance of a successful protect, and the BP Miller also has a better chance to absorb a kill. The Jailer and Tracker and Cop are all better targeted toward the Backups claimers, and it makes the Tracker become closer to a Cop.

Any successful nightkills of the Cop, Doc, Jailer, or Tracker will just be replaced with only the loss of one night's result knowledge. On D2+ after thus sort of massclaim the pool of Backup claimers up for lynch is complicated by the fact that they may claim or fakeclaim the inherited roles, but this becomes more dangerous because roles are only inherited once and they can not just claim "Power" without having their specific role revealed.

So yeah, I think we should try the massclaim route, it should NOT break the game.

Kashuno, if you are Town, explain your thought process in at least 75 words. Until then ##vote: kashuno

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

the only way I see Lumpen not being a horrible player here is if he's bulletproof. From how I'm looking at the setup I think that's the only way to stop the serial killer.

Either way Lumpen just put himself as a target for no reason, which is dumb.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Lumpen posted:

So yeah, I think we should try the massclaim route, it should NOT break the game.

This is dumb. Just loving call the game "Massclaim mafia" if you want to play mafia around massclaiming.

Like what's the point of playing if you just want to masturbate about your dumb roles that will likely not help at all until the end of the game

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Its not a closed setup, and it is a setup where power roles are retained after death unless they are lynched. Personally I think a mass claim will make the game easier to win.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Khris Kruel posted:

the only way I see Lumpen not being a horrible player here is if he's bulletproof. From how I'm looking at the setup I think that's the only way to stop the serial killer.

Either way Lumpen just put himself as a target for no reason, which is dumb.
Oh hai SK.

Why would you rolefish like this? Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. I am a Power. So come try and kill me tonight, Serial Killer Khris Kruel.

##vote Khris Kruel

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

JakeP posted:

Its not a closed setup, and it is a setup where power roles are retained after death unless they are lynched. Personally I think a mass claim will make the game easier to win.

it won't, it'll just make it so that the 4 powerroles run the town and the rest of the town won't do jack poo poo and lurk, and then the game just becomes a circlejerk of "which of the plebs should we lynch"

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Lumpen posted:

Oh hai SK.

Why would you rolefish like this? Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. I am a Power. So come try and kill me tonight, Serial Killer Khris Kruel.

##vote Khris Kruel

I'm the Jailor, gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Khris Kruel posted:

This is dumb. Just loving call the game "Massclaim mafia" if you want to play mafia around massclaiming.

Like what's the point of playing if you just want to masturbate about your dumb roles that will likely not help at all until the end of the game
This setup has already been run a few times with later-game massclaims. This setup will always have a massclaim at some point, and the Scum will always be put under major pressure and forced to pull off some ballsy lying in order to win, just when it looks inevitable. That's part of what makes the setup exciting. The interesting controvery that popped up in the last game was whether the game could be broken by a D1 massclaim, and several of us came into this interested in finding out.

You should check out Podima's recent Battlestar Galactica game, especially the Scumdoc, if you haven't.

• Locked thread