Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
There is no good logic in loving mass claiming because it assumes the scum team won't coordinate at all, and also that they are stupider than the town players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Kashuno posted:

glad your poo poo comeback to actual logic is consistent to your poo poo logic in agreeing with a mass claim.

you dont possess enough logic to solve a freaking sudoku puzzle

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it doesnt matter if they coordinate aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

I mean it will avoid mislyncing a power role. If the power roles claim and are unCCed we have a far shorter list of people who could potentially be scum, and the worst case is we lynch a town backup rather than a power role. If there are conflicting claims we ignore them for now, and lynch a backup, unless there are so many conflicting claims so that it is known that all the scum are CCing town power roles (but that won't happen).

I don't really get which part of this you are confused about?

We will avoid lynching a power role. If 3/4 scum claim power roles then..what? We hunt backups until we decide to test counterclaims?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Kashuno posted:

how will it avoid a mislynch exactly? If we have 6/7 claimed power roles, what did you gain from this? Are we going to all out our actual power role afterwards? What if you have conflicting claims there? What if all the scum claim backup, and we gain literally nothing while scum gains the entire game set up?

No, mass claiming shows a clear lack of thought.
I think that you are being disingenuous, but trust me, you have not thought more about this setup than I have. We are testing the massclaim hypothesis this time. It does not break the game, it does not strongly benefit any side. If all Townies truthfully softclaim, and the Scum all claim Backup, things are neutral. If any Scum claim Powers, Town benefits. The SK may benefit from falsely softclaiming Power, in this scenario because of the specifics of how roles interact with the SK.

You are acting like a dunce, or a Scum.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

blackcross posted:

So what's the goal? Lynch backup so we don't lose a power role and then see who gets NK'ed? And then regain whatever the power role was?

You've limited your potential scum list. In terms of power roles, this helps everyone pretty equally on each faction, but in terms of the mafia portion of the game, depending on claims, you may have 5 confirmed towns who you will have no chance of voting out mistakenly and who you know are telling you the truth about their opinions on other players.

Even though we've outted those power role players and they are now targets, we won't lose their role from the game even if they are killed and if they aren't killed we've helped them better target their abilities.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Kashuno posted:

We will avoid lynching a power role. If 3/4 scum claim power roles then..what? We hunt backups until we decide to test counterclaims?
Try it and see :D :D :D :D

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Kashuno posted:

no we test counterclaims immediately

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

That won't happen, and if it does it gives the town a huge advantage. It would force the scum to not kill town power roles or risk exposing themselves. At that point the town backup that inherits the role could easily claim and be confirmed town.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Assume all town are honest.

SK claims power, scum all claim VB.
  • we have one conflicting claim to deal with. A 50/50 shot of a permanent loss of a power role. We lynch the SK, and are left with our backups to weed through while the scum team can easily work their way through important roles and sow discord among the backups. They are still able to counterclaim power role that they kill with backup powers.

Here is just one scenario displaying why it's bad :sun:

Lumpen posted:

I think that you are being disingenuous, but trust me, you have not thought more about this setup than I have. We are testing the massclaim hypothesis this time. It does not break the game, it does not strongly benefit any side. If all Townies truthfully softclaim, and the Scum all claim Backup, things are neutral. If any Scum claim Powers, Town benefits. The SK may benefit from falsely softclaiming Power, in this scenario because of the specifics of how roles interact with the SK.

You are acting like a dunce, or a Scum.

If they all claim backup, town now has lost all their power roles. They will be outed, and the non-vital power roles can easily be counterclaimed by scum moving forward and loving play with more knowledge than town. I don't get why you guys can't figure it out.

We aren't going to win this by just mass-claiming. loving play mafia.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Assume all town are honest.

SK claims power, scum all claim VB.
  • we have one conflicting claim to deal with. A 50/50 shot of a permanent loss of a power role. We lynch the SK, and are left with our backups to weed through while the scum team can easily work their way through important roles and sow discord among the backups. They are still able to counterclaim power role that they kill with backup powers.

No. If this happens we lynch a claimed backup and have like a 50% chance to hit scum

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I sincerely hope town loses this loving game with how dumb they are.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
you are being intentionally obtuse and its obvious as gently caress

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm done arguing this point. It's stupid

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
then convince everyone else to loving vote me and get me out of this stupid poo poo.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

I'm done arguing this point. It's stupid

Good because you are making yourself look like a moron

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
poo poo could get weird once people start inheriting

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I'm going to inherit Kash's model train set

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Birdstrike posted:

I'm going to inherit Kash's model train set

my brother likes trains, I don't care about them other than they exist.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What the gently caress did I just read. What did I sign up to?
Is this a game of mafia or an experiment / puzzle you want to solve.

I 'm a backup, but you guys should just execute me to get me out of this theorycrafting session. cheers. ##Amoeba 102

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

In reading, it seems like the biggest discrepancy in these pro-claim / anti-claim viewpoints comes from what potentially happens the next day and how to proceed with scum hunting. In order to clear up my own confusions or to get the arguments clarified, I wanted to ask a few question or two to Lumpen (or anything staunchly pro-claim).

What are the benefits to softclaiming roles as compared to fully claiming? Will Power need to claim Day 2 for night actions?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

What the gently caress did I just read. What did I sign up to?
Is this a game of mafia or an experiment / puzzle you want to solve.

I 'm a backup, but you guys should just execute me to get me out of this theorycrafting session. cheers. ##Amoeba 102

I don't want to vote you because I want out of theorycraft land.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kashuno posted:

If they all claim backup, town now has lost all their power roles. They will be outed, and the non-vital power roles can easily be counterclaimed by scum moving forward and loving play with more knowledge than town. I don't get why you guys can't figure it out.

No, town has not suddenly lost all their power roles. At worst, we lose two. And if they are all just power claims, they may only lose one if scum accidentally target the BP or if they use poison power or scum and sk target the same individual. There are so many confirmed town at once that scum/sk can't possibly burn through them fast enough. Also, if it went down like this it means we also get extra unimpeachable information from those town if they have good results.

Like, let's take a quick gander at the numbers there. Let's say scum/sk all claim backup. So now we have a close to 50/50 shot of hitting a bad guy randomly with our votes. Let's worse case it and say we vote out a town on day 1, and scum and SK kill two of the town power roles over night.

So now we would be at 5 town power roles again. With 8 remaining claimed backups. So our odds of hitting a bad guy are up to 5/8 on a random vote since only 3 of those people would really be backups.

There are a lot of variables, Counter claims could be made, etc. That's what makes it super interesting to see play out.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I don't want to vote you because I want out of theorycraft land.

Was this game always supposed to be a "het ley's just experiment with a setup to try and break it" or are some being loving with the mod?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Jon Irenicus posted:

In reading, it seems like the biggest discrepancy in these pro-claim / anti-claim viewpoints comes from what potentially happens the next day and how to proceed with scum hunting. In order to clear up my own confusions or to get the arguments clarified, I wanted to ask a few question or two to Lumpen (or anything staunchly pro-claim).

What are the benefits to softclaiming roles as compared to fully claiming? Will Power need to claim Day 2 for night actions?

Softclaiming, if there are no counters, means scum/sk can't target completely accurately. Scum could accidentally hit the BP miller as an example. Or because of their fear of this, they could just use poison which means we get an extra day of that power roles power. It's an extra layer of potential protection on the better information gathering roles.

I think D2 will probably involve the rest of the claim for a variety of reasons. But it depends on what happens.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Amoeba102 posted:

Was this game always supposed to be a "het ley's just experiment with a setup to try and break it" or are some being loving with the mod?

Not exactly, but some of us were super curious about it and wanted to give it a shot. Obviously not everyone is on board.

Here is one of my pre sign up posts:

King Burgundy posted:

We should try the day 1 full claim this time. :)

And mod response:

Friction.123 posted:

I certainly won't stop you if thats the route you decide to take. Better hope Lumpen isn't your scum team again though.

And another sign up along those lines:

GulagDolls posted:

ill play, and help break

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Okay I was in a Personal Union with Bohemia and now I have inherited I am full catapultist now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wait was lumpen scum last game. the guy who, while saying "nah no massclaim," kept being the guy to bring it up over and over?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Tonight I will throw Amiibo out of the game

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

it's part of the game being an "open setup" people want to try and break it with math rather than playing mafia

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kashuno posted:

Wait was lumpen scum last game. the guy who, while saying "nah no massclaim," kept being the guy to bring it up over and over?

Yes. He was scum last time and said that he didn't think it was a good idea until later.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Yes. He was scum last time and said that he didn't think it was a good idea until later.

Yeah. He just kept bringing it up over and over again to keep it on peoples minds. I am happy with my vote.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kashuno posted:

Yeah. He just kept bringing it up over and over again to keep it on peoples minds. I am happy with my vote.

So when he was scum, he tried to prevent us from mass claiming on D1, and this time he's going for the mass claim on D1 and that makes you think he is scum? :what:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Well if you guys signed up to do that fine. I signed up to be turbo'd, so you could do me a favour.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lumpen make me power plz

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

So when he was scum, he tried to prevent us from mass claiming on D1, and this time he's going for the mass claim on D1 and that makes you think he is scum? :what:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8CmlIhSf-U

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

You're missing his point. Kashuno is saying that Scumpen spent a lot of time talking about claiming, and that' the sum total of his contribution so far.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

are you to obfuscate my point about Lumpen talking a lot about claiming poo poo and not much about playing actual mafia in two games now.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

You're missing his point. Kashuno is saying that Scumpen spent a lot of time talking about claiming, and that' the sum total of his contribution so far.

that's the sum of almost every single person's contributions so far. it doesn't matter. for the record, lumpen talked less about claiming last game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
do you guys want to solve this as a puzzle game because you hate mafia?

• Locked thread