Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Birdstrike posted:

backup scum probably

haha ya lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

I am glad that we skipped jokephase, the true hell of mafia.

haha ya lmbo

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Here's where we are:

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005
I just want to yell at people and call them idiots but now I'm too confused for that :(

It's me, now I'm the idiot

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lumpen posted:

The mod said it was fine and I created the setup! I am not trying to insult myself by breaking my own setup, because it is not breakable, and so trying to break it is a compliment not an insult.

Also this is all much better than a dumb jokephase and it is totally hot Mafia action and an exciting D1 with heavy posting velocity! The mod posted that he was having fun. I, for one, am already biting my nails!

It's not an insult to break the setup, it's an insult to break the setup and make the game moot. It's the making the game moot part which is the insult, but you're too focused on the glory of your setup to think of games that way.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lets not pretend that discussing a mass claim in an open setup game is somehow unprecedented and an insult to the mod

mass claims are a thing in every open setup game, it feels fake to pretend this is somehow an injustice

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Kash can you explain your KB vote?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
that's my secret cap

it's always jokephase

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lumpen posted:

Here's where we are:

I'm power I inherited

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's just myu opinion Jake. And it's not the claiming it's the intent. But w/e.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

GulagDolls posted:

no its because i want to see lumpen's face when he realizes his supposedly perfectly balanced game can be broken open

its too late, even if we broke the setup he'll just hand wave it because I'm in the game

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lumpen not paying attention to vital details that's a scumpen tell

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Amoeba102 posted:

It's not an insult to break the setup, it's an insult to break the setup and make the game moot. It's the making the game moot part which is the insult, but you're too focused on the glory of your setup to think of games that way.
I'll respond to this as if you are Town and being sincere.
It in no way makes the game moot AT ALL. There is a ton of strategy and permutations and intricate interactions and headfakes and WIFOMing embedded deep deep beyond where even a D1 massclaim can go. The Versatile Backup mechanic is key. The setup is highly resistant to being "made moot". Look at the end of the BSG Nailbiter game. The Scumdoc is probably the best way.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lumpen posted:

The Scumdoc is probably the best way.

there you go, only scum have access to the scumdoc

nice scumslop lumpen ##vote Lumpen

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

its definitely an insult to waste people's time when they wanted to play mafia instead of math

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
think about it, all the talk beforehand about "breaking the setup." What's the best way for Lumpen to fit in rolling scum in his own setup? Talk about whole bunch of metas and claim theories and whatnot that nobody can call him out on because it's his own setup

well I'm callin u out m8

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Khris Kruel posted:

its definitely an insult to waste people's time when they wanted to play mafia instead of math

massclaiming does not somehow remove 'playing mafia' from the game.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Birdstrike posted:

there you go, only scum have access to the scumdoc

nice scumslop lumpen ##vote Lumpen

hes talking about the scum doc from the previous nailbiter game

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Khris Kruel posted:

Once the claiming is out of the way all that will be left is mafia.

And there is a lot of actual content to look through rather than just joke phase stuff.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lumpen posted:

I'll respond to this as if you are Town and being sincere.
It in no way makes the game moot AT ALL. There is a ton of strategy and permutations and intricate interactions and headfakes and WIFOMing embedded deep deep beyond where even a D1 massclaim can go. The Versatile Backup mechanic is key. The setup is highly resistant to being "made moot". Look at the end of the BSG Nailbiter game. The Scumdoc is probably the best way.

That's because you think it's unbreakable because it's your glorious setup. Whether or not it is breakable, is not the point. You and others are experimenting on trying to break the setup, whether or not you believe it can be,. And my impression is that is that it's insulting to the mod and other players that didn't sign up for that. Personally, it doesn't affect me. And this discussion is not playing mafia either. I'm sorry I got into this.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JakeP posted:

hes talking about the scum doc from the previous nailbiter game

I know, crazy odds he rolled scum in two of these setups

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
srsly tho ##vote kash

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

massclaiming does not somehow remove 'playing mafia' from the game.

bullshit, you will lynch only on the validity of the claim. You guys will argue about which backup claim they trust the most

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

when I'm immune from lynch simply because I've claimed a power role, you're not playing mafia

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Khris Kruel posted:

when I'm immune from lynch simply because I've claimed a power role, you're not playing mafia

you're a target for NK though

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

you're a target for NK though

and that creates one less backup for the scum to hide in. The cop and the tracker are the real threats to scum and the SK

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Once the claiming is out of the way all that will be left is mafia.

And there is a lot of actual content to look through rather than just joke phase stuff.

Once you grt your stupid loving mass claim you guys can jerk each other off about your ability to "solve" the game instead of playing Mafia

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Kashuno posted:

Once you grt your stupid loving mass claim you guys can jerk each other off about your ability to "solve" the game instead of playing Mafia

:salt::dong:

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

by the way, if you kill a holdout before all 5 power roles have softclaimed, you'll almost certainly kill the power role.

Better to start with the backups

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Khris Kruel posted:

every open setup ever?

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

JakeP posted:

every open setup ever?

this is the first open setup I've ever played that mass claimed on day 1. Most mass claims are from "everyone has a role" closed setups...those are easily broken to a mass claim

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Khris Kruel posted:

by the way, if you kill a holdout before all 5 power roles have softclaimed, you'll almost certainly kill the power role.

Better to start with the backups

Yeah, so far everyone who has posted since this started has been willing to claim eventually. Will be interesting to see if there are any hold outs still once the others show up.

Right now we know there is a liar among the claimed backups. For now we assume there is no one lying who has claimed a power, and there is one remaining power among the unclaimed.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Khris Kruel posted:

this is the first open setup I've ever played that mass claimed on day 1. Most mass claims are from "everyone has a role" closed setups...those are easily broken to a mass claim

In any open setup game you can claim your role, and if not CCed be confirmed town who won't be lynched. It has nothing to do with mass claims

poo poo you are the only rear end in a top hat who actually full claimed lol

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I'm claiming 42% of Antarctica

penguin army gonna' getcha

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, so far everyone who has posted since this started has been willing to claim eventually. Will be interesting to see if there are any hold outs still once the others show up.

Right now we know there is a liar among the claimed backups. For now we assume there is no one lying who has claimed a power, and there is one remaining power among the unclaimed.

I think you guys shouldn't kill Kashuno until all 5 power roles have claimed. If not you're risking too much and should kill back ups

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
kash has claimed backup

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Khris Kruel posted:

I think you guys shouldn't kill Kashuno until all 5 power roles have claimed. If not you're risking too much and should kill back ups

He's a claimed backup now.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Khris Kruel posted:

Now if the Jailer flips, you are toast. I don't think you were thinking this through all the way.

In any Mafia game wouldn't claiming a power role and not being counterclaimed pretty much make you "immune from the lynch"? The same incentives are at play here. Nobody asked you to fullclaim. It strikes me as an unwise move whether you are telling the truth or not. If you are truthful though, at least you have less power to gently caress up the game than you would in a game without Versatile Backups.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

But I'm still in no hurry to rush this vote. If it looked like we were approaching hammer before the missing people showed up I'd hop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

JakeP posted:

In any open setup game you can claim your role, and if not CCed be confirmed town who won't be lynched. It has nothing to do with mass claims

poo poo you are the only rear end in a top hat who actually full claimed lol

in a normal game of mafia, you should never claim unless forced to. I never believe a role when they claim in normal situations and most of the time they're just a stupid WIFOM for the rest of the game anyways.

Just stop being scummy and lynch scummy people and ignore roles. "Oh no he claimed cop, he must be SO USEFUL to the town" Just loving lynch em and move on and punish bad play

• Locked thread