Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

:captainpop: Wow jupiter looks dope, and with the moons in a more realistic size than most 4x's (if they even have moons). Hopefully the early game has plenty of stuff to do in the solar system. I want a prison / hell colony on Venus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hmmmm. Not sure how a business that constantly pushes back releases is going to deal with quarterly profit reports. Gotta keep that share price going up!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The first diplomacy tech in GalCiv 2 has a description starting with "The trick to having good relations with alien species is to first avoid killing them. This may be harder than one might think as many aliens are just incredibly disgusting."

I had that leap into my head the instant I saw this guy.

Actually that reminds me of something I meant to ask - will you have to research communication/translation technology to be able to speak to alien races? Given that the game can be set up with multiple empires that are the same race (but potentially different cultures), it seems like it would make sense that you'd inherently be able to speak to your own people, but being able to speak with aliens might take a bit of work.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Is this real?
Welp. It was fun while it lasted.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
RIP Johan's drunk AMAs.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Militancy of the capitalist class has increased. HOI5 rushed to release!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

Is this real?
Welp. It was fun while it lasted.

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/706945506036027392

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

V for Vegas posted:

Hmmmm. Not sure how a business that constantly pushes back releases is going to deal with quarterly profit reports. Gotta keep that share price going up!

Aw :( I hope Wiz, Groogy, Johan, Podcat et al. retire with millions in the bank after Ubisoft acquires all of PDS's franchises and makes them an open world single-player fetch quest grinder.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can't wait for EA's Europa Universalis 5.

"Johan V will now rule our nation!

1/3/2

To increase Johan's stats to 5/5/5 for 499 EA Bucks, click here.
To increase Johan's state to 6/6/6 for 749 EA Bucks, click here."

"My king, our stability has dropped!

To increase stability to +3 for 499 EA Bucks, click here."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dang, RIP the paradox we all knew and loved.
Looking forward for stellaris being re-tooled for mobile with rare resources you can only buy from the "galactic marketplace" using paradox-coins.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
New DLC unlocked! Machine Parts Factory - $1.99

Buying this DLC means you will always start with a Machine Parts Factory in your capital state, no matter what country you play.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Why are they doing it, though? Are their financials worse than we thought? We could all just buy another cosmetic DLC, Fredrik! We'll raise the money!

Actually maybe we should acquire their IPO and run everything into the ground.

e: Actually, is PDS included in the deal? If they're just IPOing the publisher then that's not really the same thing.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 7, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Capitalists Destroys Pardox

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bad google translation of the article.

quote:

Paradox Interactive is one of Sweden's fastest growing game developer. CEO Fredrik Wester, who owns just over 39 percent of the company, has previously stubbornly avoided the questions about IPO despite market pressure has been great. But now he confirms that the company launched an IPO process.

"The important thing is to get the owners who are long term and want to be part of our journey," he says.

Other major owners of Paradox is the investment company Spiltan and financier Peter Lindell, principal owner of the venture capital firm Rite Internet Ventures.

Avanza will keep the listing process, but the prospect is still not yet confirmed.

"We have a fun and different way to do this spreading of ownership on. The process will take take place in the traditional way. Exactly how do we talk about when all the details are clear, "said Chairman Hakan Sjunnesson.

The company's employees and fans of the game world will thus be prioritized. But the door is not closed for institutional investors.

"We expect that they too will be interested. No one is excluded, "says Håkan Sjunnesson as via private company owns more than 4 percent of Paradox Interactive.

The reason for listing is that the company needs capital.

"We have cash in the bank and we would need banking assistance for buying it is also no problem. But a note of course gives access to the capital market, we would like to make acquisitions. Currently, we have no such immediate plans ", said Fredrik Wester.

At the recent spread of ownership two years ago invested financier Peter Lindell 28 million in a combination of rights issue and purchase of shares valued Paradox Interactive to 500 million.

"We have not yet confirmed how much of that will be sold out now, it's a small part of everyone's possession. But clearly the company is worth much more today, "says Håkan Sjunnesson.

The investment company Spiltan has previously valued its holdings of 37 percent of Paradox Interactive to between 480 and 813 million. It would give an overall value of the company at 1.3-2.2 billion.

Paradox recently published its financial statements for 2015, which showed record sales. Net sales were SEK 604 million and profit before tax rushed to 242 million. The figures were slightly doped since the company postponed some game launches in 2015.

Fredrik Wester do not want to give any detailed forecast for the next few years.

"It is always difficult because it depends on how the market looks like, what games we can release and what other games are launched. But the plan is to grow aggressively over the next four years. "

He sees three elements that can be developed further in the company. In addition to PC games, which are sold mainly via Steam, the company aims to go into games for consoles and step into the mobile gaming world for real.

"We've said it a long time and now it's time to go in there."

Paradox released five new games in the last year and a number of so-called expansions to existing games. This year the company come up with several games, including a strategy game in space "Stellaris" and World War strategy game "Hearts of Iron IV".

"We have spent considerable resources in both games and had a strategy to make them more elaborate in order to be able to become big sellers," said Fredrik Wester.

Last year, Paradox Interactive a mega hit with 'Cities: Skylines, "which was sold in the first month, a million copies.

Last fall, the company was bought roleplaying White Wolf Publishing. The idea is to produce board games, books and ultimately new PC games on the trademarks of White Wolf's briefcase.

Fredrik Wester tone now down expansion plans for Asia.

"We are for a number of discussions but has no partner ready for the market," he says.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
And I was just about to post how I had an idea for a 1984 mod for HOI4. I can see modding tools being stripped out now.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

"Paradox is in danger of becoming the junior partner in a personal union with the Kingdom of Electronic Arts"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

quote:

He sees three elements that can be developed further in the company. In addition to PC games, which are sold mainly via Steam, the company aims to go into games for consoles and step into the mobile gaming world for real.

:qq:

Et tu, Paradox?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I like how Goons/The-Net-At-Large immediately think everything is going to go full-exaggerated EA whenever a company talks about this sort of thing. Or anything, really.

That said, I'm surprised there is a "need" to do it if they're already a publisher. Forgive my lacking BUSINESS 101 but why would they need to ipo our to someone if people ipo out to them

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
HOI5 will be a Wii U exclusive featuring Super Mario-inspired renders of world leaders, while CK3 will be a mobile game with a limited number of actions per day and microtransactions to kill your bad sons and pave the way for the genius fifthborn to inherit.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Dibujante posted:

e: Actually, is PDS included in the deal? If they're just IPOing the publisher then that's not really the same thing.

Paradox Interactive is the parent company of PDS so whoever owned PI would also have control over PDS, I assume. I'm not an expert on corporate law in the fantasy kingdom of Sweden though so maybe it works differently. If PDS also set itself up as a seperate legal entitly with some sort agreement in place as to who has final say over what then that could also affect how much leverage the publisher has over the developer.

Looks like the guy who owns the company now plans on retaining a controlling stake in the company for the time being so it may not have that much of an impact.

As someone who works for a privately held company that was bought out last year - all I can say is good luck.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

V for Vegas posted:

Bad google translation of the article.

quote:

The reason for listing is that the company needs capital.

That is an incredibly bad google translation since it literally dropped a very important word.
The reason for listing is not that the company needs capital.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gaj posted:

And I was just about to post how I had an idea for a 1984 mod for HOI4. I can see modding tools being stripped out now.

What modding tools? 90% of modding paradox games is notepad plus and Microsoft excel.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

IPO? I'm pre-ordering.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Gamerofthegame posted:

I like how Goons/The-Net-At-Large immediately think everything is going to go full-exaggerated EA whenever a company talks about this sort of thing. Or anything, really.

That said, I'm surprised there is a "need" to do it if they're already a publisher. Forgive my lacking BUSINESS 101 but why would they need to ipo our to someone if people ipo out to them

You have a child's optimism.
I envy you.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don't know, but I think a mobile paradox game would be the bee's knees

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i would love an eu i could play on the toilet

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
PI doesn't exactly have the most sterling publishing chops and it hasn't affected the PDS map games yet so whatever.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
So are we being ironic or is this the 18 month notice to pdox using freemium currency in-game?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

vyelkin posted:

CK3 will be a mobile game with a limited number of actions per day and microtransactions to kill your bad sons and pave the way for the genius fifthborn to inherit.

Nah, I already have a plan on how to make Crusader Kings Online. Trust me you'll love it.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jeoh posted:

IPO? I'm pre-ordering.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dibujante posted:

Why are they doing it, though? Are their financials worse than we thought? We could all just buy another cosmetic DLC, Fredrik! We'll raise the money!

Actually maybe we should acquire their IPO and run everything into the ground.

Usually issuing an IPO means their financials- or their projected future financials- are seen as being good or very good by investment analysts.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Groogy posted:

Nah, I already have a plan on how to make Crusader Kings Online. Trust me you'll love it.

Clash of Clans, right?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Clash of Clans, right?

Clash of Kings, the official Game of Thrones mobile game by Paradox Interactive.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Groogy posted:

Are we only going to need 4% warscore to win wars?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Jesus, do you people have any hope for the future left? One flimsy news article and weird tweet and suddenly all hell's breaking loose. SMDH

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Mappy Bird

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Off the top of my head I really can't think of any situations like this that had a demonstrably positive impact on things - yeah it's (probably) not EA buying them up but with a change in ownership and business model means that organizational changes aren't far behind.

Will it mean a decline in quality and quick cash-ins so someone can get their ROI faster? Probably not but I imagine they wouldn't take news like "you need to wait another year and a half to recoup the losses here" very well, either. PDS isn't Paradox Interactive and I'm sure there are agreements in place that will determine who has the final word on what, and probably clauses in those agreements that deal with situations just like this. Still not getting my hopes up though.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 8, 2016

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I hope it goes well. But there's risk involved, especially if the company is expanding into areas that have not traditionally formed part of its business. I just don't want to see a headline in 5 years time like the one we saw today about Lionhead.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Clash of Kings, the official Game of Thrones mobile game by Paradox Interactive.

This would probably genuinely make shitloads of money, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Off the top of my head I really can't think of any situations like this that had a demonstrably positive impact on things - yeah it's (probably) not EA buying them up but with a change in ownership and business model means that organizational changes aren't far behind.

One of us confused about what an IPO is especially given