Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I actually did bring a pair of IR night vision goggles hiking once, and it was terrible because there there was zero depth perception. I kept getting thwacked with branches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Look at all these scrubs rocking the monotubes.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Proper night vision starts at about $3K per eye, the good ones go up to about $10K last I checked. They are also heavy as gently caress. I did get the opportunity to borrow a monocle once for a night hike/camp through RMNP once and it was pretty nifty. I keep thinking about getting one for the ranch because of all the bear and mountain lion poo poo I keep finding, kind of want to see if they're staring at me all night without spooking them off. Also stars are neat.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Does anyone have experience with GPS trail/hiking/map apps? I've been looking for something that will work when my iPhone is in 'airplane' mode (uses GPS chip) that will track/map your hikes, and that allows for map downloads when on LTE/WiFi. I would like something that allows you to upload hikes to the web, and also I love any form of stat tracking (speed, elevation gain, etc.). Right now I lending towards GAIA GPS, but I want to make sure I spend my money wisely.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
I use MotionX GPS. It does everything you're looking for. I haven't used GAIA, but I think it has more map options built in, and downloads are supposed to be easier. I was mainly won over by the cost difference. MotionX is $2, and GAIA is $20.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I bought Gaia GPS a long time ago but never used it. It does seem to have the features you're looking for though. What I discovered and liked is that I can make a gpx file of a route using something like Cal Topo and import that into Gaia GPS, so it will show up in the app as a route and then I can tell it to download the maps needed to cover that route so I don't have to go around trying to make sure I have the correct one pre-downloaded, etc.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Picnic Princess posted:

Can I just take a moment to say that the grizzlies in the Canadian Rockies are gorgeous?

This is Bear 122, also known as The Boss. He's the biggest male grizzly in the central Rockies and he's badass. He's the dominant male who fathers the most cubs:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/grizzly-bear-no-122-shows-his-dominance-in-banff-national-park

And he eats black bears for breakfast:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/large-male-grizzly-bear-finds-his-next-meal

I'm seeing reports on Facebook that my favourite bear has already woken up, we've had a really mild winter! I hope to see him someday. From a safe and reasonable distance, of course.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

there's no logical reason for bears to be that big :colbert:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I don't even like cattle and horses, I don't even want to be outdoors and without a safari rifle with animals like that around.

I had a standoff with a tiny angry beaver last summer, that was enough wildlife interaction for me.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Does anyone have experience with GPS trail/hiking/map apps? I've been looking for something that will work when my iPhone is in 'airplane' mode (uses GPS chip) that will track/map your hikes, and that allows for map downloads when on LTE/WiFi. I would like something that allows you to upload hikes to the web, and also I love any form of stat tracking (speed, elevation gain, etc.). Right now I lending towards GAIA GPS, but I want to make sure I spend my money wisely.

Depends if you're using apple or droid. For droid, I use PDF Maps, which has tons of maps available for download, or let's you load your own PDFs, like ones made from Caltopo.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm seeing reports on Facebook that my favourite bear has already woken up, we've had a really mild winter! I hope to see him someday. From a safe and reasonable distance, of course.
Why is it so drat big :ohdear:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

cheese posted:

Koz 'e's Da Boss. :orks:

Picnic Princess posted:

He's also gorgeous. :swoon:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I remember hiking in New Mexico and seeing a big as hell bear. That bear up there is much bigger and hellish.

Bears are cool, but terrifying, things.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I want to fight a bear so badly and it sucks you can't do that at state fairs anymore

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

cheese posted:

Because of all those delicious hikers bundled up like pre-wrapped sausages :gonk:

bongwizzard posted:

I had a standoff with a tiny angry beaver last summer, that was enough wildlife interaction for me.

Worst experience I ever had was a wild boar rooting around my hammock at three in the morning. At the time, I has no idea what the heck it was, and all I could hear were loud footsteps, crunching leaves, and heavy breathing coming from right outside my tarp. Freaked me the gently caress out

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
My worst has been ravens opening my bags and stealing poo poo. Ravens are crazy smart, and also dicks.

Most wildlife here in California just kind of runs away when you look at them. Even the bears. We have tiny bears now. Killed the rest.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The bears in the Sierra Nevada are so used to people it's just kind of like "oh, you're not going to try to hang a bear bag so I can steal it? Using a bear can huh...drat, well, just moving on then...

It's the marmots and chipmunks you have to be afraid of.

Reposting this because it still cracks me up

Don't leave your bag/food unattended!

Levitate fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 8, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

My worst has been ravens opening my bags and stealing poo poo. Ravens are crazy smart, and also dicks.

Most wildlife here in California just kind of runs away when you look at them. Even the bears. We have tiny bears now. Killed the rest.
Ya the Sierra's are pretty drat pacified at this point. I remember the first time I saw a CA bear as an adult - I was disappointed because as a kid, I had seen one come through out campsite in Kings Canyon. It seemed so huge then.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I got chased by a wild turkey once. I believe it was a nesting hen. I freely admit to turning and running. Wild birds are no joke.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

I got chased by a wild turkey once. I believe it was a nesting hen. I freely admit to turning and running. Wild birds are no joke.
I went to UC Davis and we lived near the edge of town (but still in a standard subdivision). 2 or 3 times a year, a huge pack of wild turkeys would just walk down our street from lawn to lawn, doing whatever the gently caress they wanted. Our dogs (black lab, staffie, pitbull mut) would always bark like crazy at the screen door. I'm pretty sure the turkeys would have stood their ground and won - they certainly gave no fucks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I've been chased by turkeys in my friends driveway here in the bay area. Stupid people next door feed them so they always hang around and sometimes think they need to try to chase you off. The problem is if you turn or try to move away, that makes them chase you. So I had to act aggressively towards them to get them to back off long enough for me to find a big stick that made them all realize "oh ok maybe we should stop this and go somewhere else"

loving turkeys

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I will fight any bird to the death, team mammal needs to loving represent.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

You an me brother. Bay Area turkies are bitch made

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
https://youtu.be/xlEfjWxmll0

Canadian geese are some fuckers, not quite Australian magpies but they can be pretty aggressive.

I wouldn't hesitate to choke a bitch.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Hey neckbeards, just posted in the general Europe travel thread about this, but also wanted to sound it out here - I'm going to be in Turkey, then in the area around there (around Croatia, maybe Bosnia, nothing's set yet) for a couple extra weeks after my geology field camp in Turkey. Anyone with any hiking knowledge around there of poo poo I should to trudge over?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

I have a macaw and he's bitten me before. Hurt like hell, but now I have no fear of most* birds.

*most

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hey neckbeards, just posted in the general Europe travel thread about this, but also wanted to sound it out here - I'm going to be in Turkey, then in the area around there (around Croatia, maybe Bosnia, nothing's set yet) for a couple extra weeks after my geology field camp in Turkey. Anyone with any hiking knowledge around there of poo poo I should to trudge over?
Plitvice Lakes or GTFO.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Hungryjack posted:

I have a macaw and he's bitten me before. Hurt like hell, but now I have no fear of most* birds.

*most
Parrots are another story entirely. Beaks made for cracking nuts open, no thanks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Passed my WFA today. I know my school offers WAFA, but I don't think I'll have the money around to pay for the class when it comes up.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Proper night vision starts at about $3K per eye, the good ones go up to about $10K last I checked. They are also heavy as gently caress. I did get the opportunity to borrow a monocle once for a night hike/camp through RMNP once and it was pretty nifty. I keep thinking about getting one for the ranch because of all the bear and mountain lion poo poo I keep finding, kind of want to see if they're staring at me all night without spooking them off. Also stars are neat.

Holy crap is there a reason not to just get a cam and remove the IR filter? That'd save you like 2.5-9.5k right there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

10/10 would schlepp my poo poo over this twice.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Hammock chat:

Costco has the Chillax double hammock. As you can see, it's $30, which is attractice. it's also 2lbs in weight, which is pretty heavy. However, once I unpacked it, I noticed it had a ton (11oz) of heavy rope straps in it. Once I removed them and replaced them with my whoopie slings, it turns out it's actually lighter than my ENO Doublenest at 1lb 5oz. For the price, that seems pretty solid.

I'll do another test where I lay them out next to each other to see how they compare in size and feel, but so far so good.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Plek posted:

Holy crap is there a reason not to just get a cam and remove the IR filter? That'd save you like 2.5-9.5k right there.
IR is not the same as nightvision. A camera with an IR lens removed still requires an IR light source. Some nightvision goggles will use IR, but others will just amplify existing light. The ffect is pretty much the same, but a quaality set of goggle is probably going to have a clearer image than a tiny LCD on a hacked camera.

The eno would probably be lighter if you removed the buckle from the sac.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bear 122 aka The Boss was seen feeding on a black bear carcass at some point but it was never determined if he actually killed it. Probably did. He's awesome and I love him.

I doubt my bear encounter when I was in my tent and one approached it and sniffed around at night was him, I wasn't really in his known territory. He likes the Lake Louise area.

cheese posted:

We never got to kill the big ones off. It's true unforgiving wilderness up here and even when hunting was allowed in the mountain parks region, it was hard to get any at all.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 9, 2016

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

eSporks posted:

IR is not the same as nightvision. A camera with an IR lens removed still requires an IR light source. Some nightvision goggles will use IR, but others will just amplify existing light. The ffect is pretty much the same, but a quaality set of goggle is probably going to have a clearer image than a tiny LCD on a hacked camera.

Retro night-vision.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
There we go. Or, you know, IR flashlight/LEDs or something.

e: Or just use a plain flashlight and skip all the tech.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Plek posted:

e: Or just use plain flashlight moonlight and skip all the tech.

Fixed this for you.

I've got a pair of toy Eyeclops ir goggles from a long time ago for shits and giggles, and you can't see further than fifty feet anyways. Neat stuff to play with though! Too bad they quit making them and people are trying to hawk them online for 20x the original price

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Climbed 4377 at Joshua Tree two weeks ago with my wilderness training course and I like bouldering so long as I'm moving up, not down. I am generally uncomfortable with heights, but I believe that mindset is something I can also improve with time. Overall it was pretty fun.

This weekend is snow hiking to make sure we can carry our gear and that everything works for 3-day snow camp. I strongly believe I will hate snow camping, but I'll at least get to try it and most of this gear I'd have to buy for my trip at the end of the year anyway.

Speaking of stuff to buy-- I continue to use a my Petzl headlamp from about 2009. I have no idea how many hours are on it. Not that many? I've looked up replacement bulbs for this thing and they're really expensive when I can even find them since the model is so old. How long can the bulb be expected to last? Do people pack a second headlamp if they're going out for a multi-day trip in the backcountry?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

pack multiple batteries, not multiple headlamps, the bulb isn't particularly likely to burn out. no clue about how long your current one will last though. I have a real old one that's still going fine other than not being as bright as newer models.

Also really depends on what you use them for. I've found recently on multi day trips I'm not spenidng a ton of time up and about at night and needing the headlamp. I'm usually in bed as it gets dark and am up with the sunrise. Other people who spend more time up in the dark might need more than I do, not to mention if you want to hike in the dark like some do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
seconding extra batteries instead of a second light.

biggest reason to own two headlamps is to have a choice between Li-Ion batteries or AAA because there's advantages and disadvantages to both. Li-Ion is going to give you a brighter light and more juice per gram of battery, and the batteries are going to hold charge better in extreme cold temperatures. But they can only be charged with a special charger and local availability for both the batteries and chargers is nonexistent in some areas. AAA's big advantage is that you can buy new batteries anywhere, a good choice to bring if you're going to be passing through towns.

that said i wouldn't ever pack both at the same time, but owning 1 of each is a good idea.