Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

BonoMan posted:

Is, for some reason, the "Zoom" function on your TV on? Make sure it's set to "native' or something similar.

I have it set to 16:9, but I did have it on screenfit before. It might actually just be this program bugging out or something since as soon as I move it over the window becomes twice as big. But I noticed some oddities before as well. Now that I think about it, it was fine when I played a 1080p videogame on it. So it probably is just a few programs going crazy for some reason. My bad.

Edit:

Ok so spotify becomes bigger too, skype as well. What the hell? Is this some Windows voodoo or something? The wallpaper remains the same size, just the windows themselves.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Torabi posted:

I have it set to 16:9, but I did have it on screenfit before. It might actually just be this program bugging out or something since as soon as I move it over the window becomes twice as big. But I noticed some oddities before as well. Now that I think about it, it was fine when I played a 1080p videogame on it. So it probably is just a few programs going crazy for some reason. My bad.

Edit:

Ok so spotify becomes bigger too, skype as well. What the hell? Is this some Windows voodoo or something? The wallpaper remains the same size, just the windows themselves.

There's no reason a program would independently resize it self relative to the system settings just when it moves to another monitor. And the wallpaper is probably just set to "stretch" so it's automatically going to resize to whatever the resolution is which may be deceiving. So, at this point I'm thinking the monitor is actually set to 720p and NOT 1080p even though you think it is. Can you screenshot/cellphone shot the setup and show that it's 1080p?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Is there an aspect called Just Scan on your tv. I have to use that with my pc on my tv's.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

BonoMan posted:

There's no reason a program would independently resize it self relative to the system settings just when it moves to another monitor. And the wallpaper is probably just set to "stretch" so it's automatically going to resize to whatever the resolution is which may be deceiving. So, at this point I'm thinking the monitor is actually set to 720p and NOT 1080p even though you think it is. Can you screenshot/cellphone shot the setup and show that it's 1080p?

Like I said before, both the tv and windows say it is running in 1080p. It's a really weird effect. Skype, for example, is normal size until more than 50% of the window has left my main monitor, looks fine on the tv before that too. But as soon as it moves over completely it magnifies. I've never seen anything like this.

Here's a video:
http://pahlavan.se/dump/windowsvoodoo.webm

Man, cellphones really don't like poorly lit rooms. But hopefully it is clear enough what is going on.

Edit:

Funny thing is, my secondary monitor on the right there is 16:10 and 1680x1050. So not only different resolution, but different aspect ratio. Yet Windows manages to keep the size of programs constant. But when it goes from a 1080p monitor to a 1080p tv it flips out? :v:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 26, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Torabi posted:

Like I said before, both the tv and windows say it is running in 1080p. It's a really weird effect. Skype, for example, is normal size until more than 50% of the window has left my main monitor, looks fine on the tv before that too. But as soon as it moves over completely it magnifies. I've never seen anything like this.

Here's a video:
http://pahlavan.se/dump/windowsvoodoo.webm

Man, cellphones really don't like poorly lit rooms. But hopefully it is clear enough what is going on.

Edit:

Funny thing is, my secondary monitor on the right there is 16:10 and 1680x1050. So not only different resolution, but different aspect ratio. Yet Windows manages to keep the size of programs constant. But when it goes from a 1080p monitor to a 1080p tv it flips out? :v:

Huh, so this is apparently something Windows 10 does that I had no idea about. Check this option in your display settings and see if something is different:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953978/displays/use-windows-10s-individual-display-scaling-to-perfect-your-multi-monitor-setup.html

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Huh, so this is apparently something Windows 10 does that I had no idea about. Check this option in your display settings and see if something is different:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953978/displays/use-windows-10s-individual-display-scaling-to-perfect-your-multi-monitor-setup.html

loving amazing Microsoft, never ceases to amaze me. I'm using 8.1 but luckily the setting was there. Even though it was set to 100% I had to set it to that again and now it works. Thank you for showing me this. Works just the way you would expect it to now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Torabi posted:

loving amazing Microsoft, never ceases to amaze me. I'm using 8.1 but luckily the setting was there. Even though it was set to 100% I had to set it to that again and now it works. Thank you for showing me this. Works just the way you would expect it to now.

Yay glad it's fixed!

Now upgrade to Windows 10 you heathen!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Hey guys, I'm replacing my 7 year old 37 inch Zenith because it's dying a slow painful death and takes 30+ minutes to turn on. Great picture, though.

I want to get something in the 55 inch size because I'll be mounting it on the wall and I have very high ceilings (30+ feet). Anything smaller will just look silly. I don't want to go much higher than $700.

I'll be connecting it to my computer about 90% of the time, and maybe occasionally using my old PS3 for gaming or BluRays. I'll be watching movies, doing some programming stuff, and gaming on the computer.

I've pretty much got it narrowed down to this guy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4517500.p?id=1219755712403&skuId=4517500

I've read about the screen reflection being really shiny, and my apartment is pretty bright all day (all windows facing south) so that might end up being a big problem for me. As an alternate I found this Samsung, but reviews seem to be mixed:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung/4351100.p?id=1219735413742&skuId=4351100

Does anyone have any better suggestions than what I've found so far, or know a reason that I should stay away from these?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Hey guys, I'm replacing my 7 year old 37 inch Zenith because it's dying a slow painful death and takes 30+ minutes to turn on. Great picture, though.

I want to get something in the 55 inch size because I'll be mounting it on the wall and I have very high ceilings (30+ feet). Anything smaller will just look silly. I don't want to go much higher than $700.

I'll be connecting it to my computer about 90% of the time, and maybe occasionally using my old PS3 for gaming or BluRays. I'll be watching movies, doing some programming stuff, and gaming on the computer.

I've pretty much got it narrowed down to this guy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4517500.p?id=1219755712403&skuId=4517500

I've read about the screen reflection being really shiny, and my apartment is pretty bright all day (all windows facing south) so that might end up being a big problem for me. As an alternate I found this Samsung, but reviews seem to be mixed:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung/4351100.p?id=1219735413742&skuId=4351100

Does anyone have any better suggestions than what I've found so far, or know a reason that I should stay away from these?

I have that Sumsung (though an international model with a different base.) I really can't fault it. Its great for movies, game mode input lag is about 25ms, which is pretty good for a non gaming monitor. Once setup the colour reproduction is great and black levels are good too.

Reflection wise, It does reflect a bit, but its nothing a drape cant fix, like any non-matte screens your going to get reflections no matter what. My living room is pretty dark to begin with so its only if there's a lamp on in my peripheral that may show up.

My very first HD TV had a matte screen and i could shine a bright torch on it and it almost be un-noticable. I don't know why that never stayed a thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My brother is going to be mounting his 32" LG LB5600 tomorrow, but the manual doesn't say what length of screw he needs to attach it to the 200x200 VESA mount. Only says he needs 4 M6 screws. Would M6x10mm be good enough?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

55EC9100 is back for $1399 on BuyDig ebay store

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-55EG9100-55-Inch-Full-HD-1080p-Curved-OLED-TV-w-webOS-2-0-3D-/331746915409?hash=item4d3da83451:g:jq8AAOSwT~9WitUJ

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Fuuuuck. I wish I could get that deal in Canada.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Reviews around the web seem to say mostly the same thing: kind of slow, barebones, but decent PQ and basically unbeatable for the price. Call your local Microcenter though because it seems like the in-store price was $399 (they might have discontinued that sale). Specs say it has audio out, so you could use that for external speakers. Stereo would absolutely work, not sure about surround since one forum post mentioned a lack of optical out (maybe it's also got s/pdif? idk).

Well, I bought one and it has more than thirty dead/stuck pixels.

I read from multiple sources that those weren't nearly as common as they once were. I guess it's my lucky day.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Zogo posted:

Well, I bought one and it has more than thirty dead/stuck pixels.

I read from multiple sources that those weren't nearly as common as they once were. I guess it's my lucky day.

Gross. I assume you took it back ?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's an exceedingly rare amount of stuck pixels even for a bottom of the barrel tv.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Gross. I assume you took it back ?

I will later this week.

sellouts posted:

That's an exceedingly rare amount of stuck pixels even for a bottom of the barrel tv.

Official tally: 38 dead pixels within a 1 foot diameter in the bottom right quadrant.

I won the dead pixel powerball.

edit: the TV does actually have 4 HDMI ports despite what all the ads say.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Looking for a suggestion on a 60" or so, LCD in the $1000 - 1500 range, lower end is preferable but we can work within that ballpark.

What's worthwhile these days?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
For that budget you can get a 55" oled

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

For that budget you can get a 55" oled

Any particular models? And is OLED worth it over a LED LCD? I've never had a chance to see one in person.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Walked posted:

Any particular models? And is OLED worth it over a LED LCD? I've never had a chance to see one in person.

There's only one game in town for OLEDs — LG. You'd be looking at the 55EG9100 at your price range. And yes, an OLED is absolutely worth the money.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

There's only one game in town for OLEDs — LG. You'd be looking at the 55EG9100 at your price range. And yes, an OLED is absolutely worth the money.

Thanks - looks like it's $1800ish new; I think I can swing that. I'll shop around a bit!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont like to spend lots of money on tv's, as it stands this is my current tv that I got for $119 on Amazon during a black friday sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Upstar-P40EA8-40-Inch-1080p-Model/dp/B00PIDBC1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1457301108&sr=1-1&keywords=upstar+hdtv

That said, the 50 inch TCL is on sale for $350; would I see a major difference in the two tv's or should I just stick with my cheap rear end one? I onyl use the TV for video games.

http://www.amazon.com/TCL-50FS3800-50-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00VVKCA9C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks goons. If you guys have nay other suggestions also i'm down, I guess my budget is around ~$500

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Walked posted:

Thanks - looks like it's $1800ish new; I think I can swing that. I'll shop around a bit!

Give Cleveland Plasma a call and haggle if they have any in stock.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
Planning on buying a new tv this month because I hear march madness brings good TV deals. I'm looking to spend around $300-350, and hoping for 40+ inches. Is this the thread to watch, or is there a thread in the deals forum? It will be for watching 1080p movies and gaming. Any recommendations?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Walked posted:

Wait for a deal. It was 1399 no tax free ship earlier this week via BuyDig

Abu Dave posted:

I dont like to spend lots of money on tv's, as it stands this is my current tv that I got for $119 on Amazon during a black friday sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Upstar-P40EA8...rds=upstar+hdtv

That said, the 50 inch TCL is on sale for $350; would I see a major difference in the two tv's or should I just stick with my cheap rear end one? I onyl use the TV for video games.

http://www.amazon.com/TCL-50FS3800-50-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00VVKCA9C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks goons. If you guys have nay other suggestions also i'm down, I guess my budget is around ~$500

There's no reason to get that tv unless you want an additional 10" of screen real estate. Both are bargain basement tvs that are completely below average and/or unremarkable.

DarkSun6890 posted:

Planning on buying a new tv this month because I hear march madness brings good TV deals. I'm looking to spend around $300-350, and hoping for 40+ inches. Is this the thread to watch, or is there a thread in the deals forum? It will be for watching 1080p movies and gaming. Any recommendations?

You can watch this thread but people aren't going to post deals on that price level. That price tier isn't too exciting. Look on Craigslist in my opinion or just grab a Vizio e series.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks, that's what I needed to hear.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, just watch slickdeals. the 55" 1080p goes for $1399 it seems weekly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does the 65 have a standard drop to price too? I'm still not buying for quite a few months (apparently a house is more important, tsk) but that means time is hopefully on my side. I'm used to a 50" plasma so I want a decent jump if I can do it not too ridiculously. At least there's not too much debate on what model I need to look for decide between (and I don't mind either flat or curved based on seeing a curved one in the flesh and it being fine).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The 65" is 4k. So I think the lowest you'll get is 4250 from Cleveland Plasma, no tax with free delivery.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's the ballpark I thought it'd be. It's a poo poo ton of money no doubt and might be too high to justify. We shall see when the time comes!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

Give Cleveland Plasma a call and haggle if they have any in stock.

Shucks. Best they would do is $1700. Either I'm bad at haggling or they're staying firm.

Ah well, I have about a week to pull the trigger and pick a vendor.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Well, I exchanged that RCA 55" TV for another one and it worked okay for a little and then dead pixels started appearing. These TVs suck. I get the feeling that if I bought ten or fifteen of them maybe I'd get one that was 100% working.

RCA should change its name to DP - Dead Pixel TVs.

So, in conclusion, I can't recommend RCA unless you're a masochist who likes returning BRAND NEW TVs with defects on a weekly basis.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Keep in mind RCA is just a licensed brand name, like Polaroid. It has nothing to do with RCA. The tv could be made by any number of companies that have licensed the name.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, RCA is literally whatever random Chinese ODM they want to ship that week for the model. At this point I would expect Best Buy's Insignia brand to have better QC.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, it's listed as ONCORP RCA on the receipt and some documentation. I was aware of that from reviews but I guess I was a little ignorant/naive/whatever on how in year 2016 companies would still be selling junk like this. I thought the really bad ones had been weeded out into obsolescence but I was wrong.

I'd read the "big 5" picture settings would need some tweaking (not a problem). But guaranteed dead pixels? :vince:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There's a reason why that poo poo isn't recommended in here and people reply "just get a Vizio" when asked about cheap tvs.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

sellouts posted:

There's a reason why that poo poo isn't recommended in here and people reply "just get a Vizio" when asked about cheap tvs.

OK. How about something like http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-aquos-55-class-54-6-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/3250006.p?id=1219575793851&skuId=3250006 ? This one is 60Hz but I don't believe I'd care as I don't like that trumotion/soap opera setting anyway.

I know a few people with Sharp TVs that look good and still work after 5 - 10 years of heavy use. Is that still a safe assumption or has Sharp been taken over by nefarious people selling junk?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A Sharp from this year should be fine.

Sharp did exit the TV business though and sold off their name, next year's models will be rebranded crap.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zogo posted:

OK. How about something like http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-aquos-55-class-54-6-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/3250006.p?id=1219575793851&skuId=3250006 ? This one is 60Hz but I don't believe I'd care as I don't like that trumotion/soap opera setting anyway.

I know a few people with Sharp TVs that look good and still work after 5 - 10 years of heavy use. Is that still a safe assumption or has Sharp been taken over by nefarious people selling junk?

Sharp is typically fine although they've sold off their name as well. Not sure when that takes effect.

But why not just go Vizio? It's the undisputed leader at that price point.

Also 120Hz is better for blu-ray playback. That trumotion/soap opera thing is interpolation and not "120Hz" although they're stupidly often marketed as being one in the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Guess this is better here than the audio thread. Having an elite PC its not a fair comparison to the PS3 but man some of the games, it cant be right. Even Rocksmith, and I was trying Demon's Souls last night and it was jittery as gently caress. Now I'm a fiend for the 120+hz motion rate and all that stuff, dont know if that would be causing any grief but I was wondering about something else as well. Do most of you who have receivers and TV with ARC tend to run everything into the receiver or just plug it all direct into the TV and just run one cable to the receiver and let ARC send the audio that way? Its a fuckin jungle back there and before I go unplugging poo poo I'd like a little input.