Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

Can you explain the significance, Derek-senpai?

It's yet another rendering pipleline they are threatening to support. Even though DirectX works just fine as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Calling a youtube personality "media"

:negative:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Turd Burglar posted:

Chris Roberts himself can't even answer those questions

Don't think about it too hard

Reliant News Van: Will Space Journalism Work Like This?

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Todd Wilson had to get off the Earth’s surface in time to record it’s destruction. He lost his feet as another impact shook the ground, reducing the nearest hanger to rubble. The power plant of the Constellation inside went critical, and abruptly the debris was launched back into the air, arcing and impacting around Todd as he spat blood, got his feet back under him, and continued to run.

Every other independent field reporter was halfway around the galaxy covering Operation Pitchfork. Todd’s wisdom teeth wouldn’t wait however, and he’d awoken from the procedure to find the medical facility awash in a wave of injured and dying civilians.

That idiot intern Kegley was supposed to be warming up the engines of the Voyeur, Todd’s Reliant news variant, but Todd didn’t expect the little twerp to hang around waiting for him as the planet was rapidly annihilated by the Vanduul fleet.

Sure enough, as Todd approached his hanger Kegley was raising the Voyeur’s entrance ramp. Todd lept through the opening, landed stomach first on a crate of broadcasting equipment, rolled off, and lay on the floor gasping as Kegley clumsily lifted the ship off the hanger deck and into the sky.

Todd stared at the ceiling, swallowing blood and pondered a thousand ways to punish the young punk for trying to leave him behind, but eventually concluded that he would have done the same. Suddenly the floor became the wall, and Todd found himself pinned under the unsecured crate and gasping for air again.

With great effort he managed to open the crate and pull enough hardware out of it piece by piece that he could lift the rest and slide out from under it. Reeling from the pain and lack of oxygen, Todd put the last of his strength into a punch that caught Kegley in the jaw right as the kid turned around in disbelief. Todd slumped into the lower seat and strapped in, scolding Kegley for neglecting to retract the landing gear before going vertical, then realizing that the intern was unconscious. What a wimp.

As Earth’s atmosphere dwindled and the stars came out, Todd could see the Vanduul fleet. He brought up the Voyeur’s advanced optics and zoomed in 1000x. Trying to follow the barrage was like trying to track a single water droplet from the top of a waterfall to the bottom, but as the Reliant left orbit her trajectory smoothed out, and the camera’s gyroscope was able to compensate for the remaining vibration.

Kilotons of ordinance streamed from the alien armada, blossoming on impact, and Todd had a revelatory moment, realizing that even as millions of fellow humans died below him, this footage would make him very, very rich. He made a halfhearted vow to give half the money to charity, before noticing another Reliant news variant on his scanner.

Reaching up, Todd pulled Kegley’s boot off and chucked it as his head. The heel struck the kid’s nose and he jerked upright. Tears, snot and blood streamed down his face and onto Todd’s forehead. He roared up at Kegley demanding that he stop blubbering and take the optics, while he brought the ship’s advanced communications systems online, jamming the other Reliant’s broadcast. The rival journalist was in orbit, and nearly over the horizon. If he got any further away he would escape Todd’s signal disruption.

The Voyeur’s engines flared brilliantly as Todd shoved the throttle forward. He’d put a lot of work into the ship’s propulsion, and the upgrades made all the difference. Soon the other Reliant, IDed as the Hunter S. Thompson, was within firing range.

Todd’s weapons spat fire, and the Thompson’s turret flipped back, returning fire blindly, but scoring enough hits that Todd had to redirect shield power from aft to fore. The Voyeur’s cameras darkened and flared, trying to compensate for the change in light levels, and ruining Kegley’s inexpertly framed coverage of the Vanduul.

Todd reclaimed control of the cameras, and tied them into his targeting system. With pinpoint accuracy he planted shot after shot up the Thompson’s engine manifold. The ship sputtered and tumbled into the atmosphere, and was soon ripped apart and burned up by the unguided reentry.

Kegley gasped and Todd shot him a dark look before powering down the signal jammer and turning the Voyeur back toward the Vanduul fleet. Once back up to full speed, Todd narrowed his transmission cone to a rebroadcasting satellite, and powered down everything else but the cameras, drifting through the Vanduul fleet unnoticed or disregarded.

Todd shot from the Vanduul’s perspective, a vanishing point of converging firepower. A wave of Earth defense forces, mostly Hornets and Gladiators, soared forth bravely but foolishly, and were soon reduced to scrap.

When he was satisfied with the combat footage, Todd turned his attention to the vessels fleeing Earth. Many were intercepted by Vanddul fighters, but many more escaped to safety. That was good. People like a silver lining. Soon Todd saw his footage playing on a loop on every news frequency, and checked his account balance, which was climbing exponentially.

When there were no more cities to level, the Vandull fleet began to break formation. The “Mauler” class cruiser in front of the Voyeur slowly spun round to face it. Todd held his breath, then shouted as a drizzle of yellow fell from above. Kegley didn’t look down. His eye were locked on the warship before them. The Mauler accelerated and Todd finally, reluctantly, fired maneuvering thrusters. The Mauler’s turrets spun and locked. Todd reframed the scene to abide by the rule of thirds. His last thought was to wonder if the Star-Pulitzer could be awarded posthumously.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

xiansi posted:

That's him, on the crucifix.

:vince:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Dust parps IN SPAAAAACE!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

quote:

A Quick Development Update!

Two months into 2016 and things are really picking up speed! Our gameplay prototype has evolved from a rough testing grounds to a fun, cohesive experience that has us all nodding and saying “Yes, this feels like BattleTech.” We’re up to 5-strong on the engineering team now, with architecture and gameplay efforts well underway. Tools and AI engineering efforts are just starting to spin-up, with a couple of key final hires rounding out the team (you’ll get to meet them in future “Behind the Curtain” updates.)

On the art side, we have a terrain-creation pipeline up and running for art and design to start working with that gives us a great balance between design features and really great-looking, naturalistic terrain. (I’m excited to show you guys later this year!) The story team has a complete first-draft of all major characters, locations, and story-beats for the game that we’re busy fleshing-out and iterating on. And the concept art team is right on the story team’s heels, with a good set of designs for major characters and environments already established.

One thing we’re all keenly aware of here is that this game is going to need a LOT of content created for it to fully deliver on the “open-ended” promise - so we definitely still have our work cut out for us, especially when the project transitions into our full Production phase this summer. That said - Jordan and I feel good about where we’re at so far in pre-production.

From the Newsletter of Harebrained Schemes - currently developing a Battletech game. ]

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

praying for a new studio tour soon.

It wasnt a cig game because they forgot the blue screen of de.... oh wait I see it coming up in the background.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Speaking of Fuzzy Modem, I wish that guy would come back.

We have questions about his sexual... techniques.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

The thing that gets me about shitizens is how objectly wrong they are. Better graphics then any game out there? More content in the alpha than nearly every "triple AAA" game released? Unprecedented fidelity and realism? Most open development process ever?

How can anyone who has played a single videogame in the last 10 years really believe this?

We don't. Because that would be dumb.

ps: *inbound shilling* even Line Of Defense has more content and tech than that tech demo

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

ps: *inbound shilling* even Line Of Defense has more content and tech than that tech demo

Yes! You're learning Derek!

Now just add that disclaimer to every post.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

earth's getting destroyed better jam my competitor's transmission and then kill him while reframing to obey the rule of thirds

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

seems like this is something you should know

someone should also ask crobbers if SC will support ho:lol:ens. i demand augmented reality grabby hands so i can have the most fidelitous drink pouring minigame

They can't do either. It's a massive amount of work, either way. Then again, since one game is never coming out, and the other will be lucky to see a Q4/17 release, who knows, they may be dumb enough to attempt it. Even after Sean Tracy departs.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

Thanks commando. I sent him all the relevant info. Goodbye account.

Let's observe a moment of silence for this brave Goon's Star Citizen account.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

From 10 for the Chairman: Episode 78
Mar 7, 2016
@ 19m50s

Q: Now that Vulkan is officially released, has the Frankfurt team had the chance to dive in to see about supporting this API alongside DirectX12?

A: We have looked at VULKAN, ah, we're pretty excited by it, ahhh so we are, considering our options, ah, between Vulkan and DirectX12, ah, we haven't made a full decision yet but... um... you know, eh, v...vulkan... vulkan has some advantages in most... you know... the biggest one being AS LONG AS IT WORKS PROPERLY, ah, that, ah... eh, you know, it... it can work on a PC, but also can work on LINUX... work on other platforms... ah, whereas DirectX12 is specifically just for WINDOWS... ah... they're both very similar architectures I mean essentially Vulkan's not that different from what MANTLE was originally set up to BE, so, um... *tut* you know, we, we're considering it, you... you NEVER KNOW whether we will... do... DIRECTX12 or VULKAN first.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

Serious post: I love this thread and all the wonderful laughs contained herein. Some posters (like pgabz) are absolute legends who should be honored with SAClopedia entries.

Derek: I just enjoy bantering with you man. I honestly appreciate that you can take a good joshing and give it right back.

If we genuinely didn't like you we would call you a oval office and threaten to kill you.

heh yeah, I'm old school man. I've already taken all my knocks like a champ. :)

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

They can't do either. It's a massive amount of work, either way. Then again, since one game is never coming out, and the other will be lucky to see a Q4/17 release, who knows, they may be dumb enough to attempt it. Even after Sean Tracy departs.

:lol:

this is so great. I hope a great studio is picking him up.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

HKS posted:

I think its interesting that outside of this thread Star Citizen is a huge 'successful' project and a big stepping stone for any organization and even bigger for an individual.

http://www.bhvr.com/portfolio-item/star-citizen/

http://kythera.ai/case-studies/star-citizen

http://www.turbulent.ca/case-study/star-citizen

http://www.illfonic.com/#!star-citizen/a7atz

Do any of those companies even care that SC is doomed to fail after seeing the inside? Aren't 3/4 of them lying anyway since besides the website nothing else works in the game?

Like yea they did their job, not their loving problem CIG can't put it together.

Everyone involved at this point is getting their own. Nobody is working towards a cohesive goal. It's sick to have SC assets in your portfolio so you build and build, it just not going to be in any game.

Yes, they've all seen how the sausage is made. Yes, they're all lying. Yes, all that crap will disappear once the ship sinks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

FrankieGoes posted:

Can confirm that d smizzle's wife is hotter than Sandi. Better in the sack, also.

*echoing sound of being riposted*

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

SomethingJones posted:

eh, you know, it... it can work on a PC, but also can work on LINUX...

So Linux isn't a PC :smuggo: obviously I don't understand anything about operating system development. Thank you Cobblers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Mar 7, 2016
@ 19m50s

Q: Now that Vulkan is officially released, has the Frankfurt team had the chance to dive in to see about supporting this API alongside DirectX12?

A: We have looked at VULKAN, ah, we're pretty excited by it, ahhh so we are, considering our options, ah, between Vulkan and DirectX12, ah, we haven't made a full decision yet but... um... you know, eh, v...vulkan... vulkan has some advantages in most... you know... the biggest one being AS LONG AS IT WORKS PROPERLY, ah, that, ah... eh, you know, it... it can work on a PC, but also can work on LINUX... work on other platforms... ah, whereas DirectX12 is specifically just for WINDOWS... ah... they're both very similar architectures I mean essentially Vulkan's not that different from what MANTLE was originally set up to BE, so, um... *tut* you know, we, we're considering it, you... you NEVER KNOW whether we will... do... DIRECTX12 or VULKAN first.

Yup. In other words: "gently caress if I know wtf I'm talking about"

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

Mar 7, 2016
@ 19m50s

I take back my public apology. That guy is loving dumb.

And stoned.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Wait wait wait wait are they REALLY going to try to hamfist Vulkan support into their word salad engine when they barely have DirectX working as-is? Christ Roberts cannot say no. I'd be willing to bet that Sandi has beaten that word out of his vocabulary.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Be freee, Gonkish post

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Interesting. Yeah, looks like he released a complete version and then decided to stop making post updates besides patches to avoid hate. And knowing gamers, specifically PewDiePie followers, he was probably issued death threats and notices telling him to kill himself. I would leave too.

Game wasn't to PewDiePie's liking, I get that. There are games I don't like, but attacking the dev and telling his millions of followers to get refunds on the game is a bit harsh. If it were a scam like SC, I'd understand, but the game was released, complete, from a single dev and it supposedly had everything it promised in its kickstarter. I don't know what more you could ask from the dev. It was his first game, he finished it and delivered on his promises.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know why anyone would play a bear simulator, but there's an audience for it I guess and he delivered on his goals. That's all anyone can ask from him.

I criticize you a lot Uncle Derek, but I agree with you on this. :)

Ravane fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 8, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Even after Sean Tracy departs.

Are you sure he's going? He just moved to LA.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

LMAO

The 'competition' has already moved into VR, and a lot of Elite guys with DK2s (running 1080p@90fps) are already talking about the 4k OLED headset displays.
SC has totally missed the boat on VR.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

lol if you spend $30k on a coffee machine and then serve the coffee in a glass.

For coffee tasting / judging purposes, espressos usually are served in a glass espresso cup.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Right. So how many of your smarters didn't catch on to the fact that the missing word was "media"?

You're a medium.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile at CIG.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

Who is Alexis? That Twitter profile pic is kinda hot.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I am the entire segment devoted to space plants.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

D1E posted:

Who is Alexis? That Twitter profile pic is kinda hot.

Uhh, that's Mrs Lesnick.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

runsamok posted:

Uhh, that's Mrs Lesnick.

Godamnit. Alexis: your name is "Ben's Wife".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daztek posted:

You would, if half your leg wasn't missing

Dat's how fast I'z goin!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

crobbinz, molyneux, and dsmart have all done more than enough to warrant getting thrashed around a bit, let's be real here

You know of those three the only one I have some respect for is DSmart. In TYOOL 2016 no one is under any illusions that DSmart is not an rear end in a top hat, but he never pretends he's not either. In a sense being an rear end in a top hat is what keeps him from becoming scummy. Take this forum for example, we are probably the biggest, most receptive audience he's had in a long time and he could milk that a lot more but when some people asked him to improve his graphics his reply amounted to "gently caress you, this is what I want it to look like". If you had asked the same of Chris Roberts he'd be tripping over himself to tell you how great and fidelitious the graphics were going to be "and I'll even throw in a couple of procedurally generated birds, in the meanwhile don't forget to buy my new jpeg".

To me DSmart's games are "not very good" and even if his games had the greatest graphics on Earth and did everything he envisions completely bug free I probably still wouldn't like them all that much because I guess being Cpt. Kirk doesn't have much appeal to me. But that's the thing, he doesn't care what I (or seemingly anyone else) thinks, he's doing what he wants to do and he isn't selling dreams to whales to fund it. If he wants to make games that appeal to 2000 people in total then LET HIM loving FINISH. He's doing the Ed Wood thing and he's doing it with gusto, I'm cool with that. The world is full of assholes, I am an rear end in a top hat, in my book it takes more than simply "being an rear end in a top hat" to earn my scorn.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

praying for a new studio tour soon.

That right there? That's probably Sintra/foamex/other foamed polyurethane signage. (the fact if you look close it's made up of about 14-18 smaller pieces is the giveaway)

Price, you ask? That shittily erected ugly mess probably cost in the region of $3500-$9100 depending on material density, and will dent/crack and fall to pieces the moment someone bumps into it, because it's intended for single use at shows, not permanent decoration.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

runsamok posted:

Uhh, that's Mrs Lesnick.

The dreaded MySpace angle.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Someone should point her to Pgabz's channel :v:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

:chanpop:

I can't believe they're still doing it. Clearly, as per EightAce, this was mandated from on high by a guy who fell in love with some iPad farming app on his back-and-forth business class jaunts to Manchester...

It's just bonkers. What a gift to whoever makes the future documentary, though. It's the b-roll during the "Rome is burning" segment that helps cement for the undecided viewer just how completely deluded the company was by this point...

I'm excited about it though. Space Plants will bear great fruit for the thread as it continues its improbable journey onward and upward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, they are on to us. What's the plan for extracting Ben? :derp:

Sunswipe posted:

Can anyone remind me what the motivation is for goons to destroy Star Citizen? I haven't been here long, so I think I missed the meeting where we all agreed to bring down this 100 million dollar company by laughing at it.
Goons wanted a game with EVE like features but CIG didn't bow down and instead made it clear that they were going to make a game were goons wouldn't be able to grief. This only works if you lack the hability to feel cognitive dissonance because one look at 2.x and you'd realize that if "a game were we could grief" was our goal then we already won the war.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 9, 2016

• Locked thread