Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.

Scroto Baggins posted:

I want a link for this one here. Slimer, not the Wild Things.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/3/11150960/ghostbusters-interview-paul-feig-katie-dippold-trailer-analysis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

My biggest GB question that always bugged me was, they were totally broke right? So why the hell did they spend part of Ray's mortgage loan on a god damned arcade machine for their second level living area? You really only see it when "this fine meal here represents the...last of the petty cash", but I never understood why they'd spend money they didn't have on drat Donkey Kong machine I think?

It fits in pretty well with how they were spending their money. Ray buys the old busted ambulance. Ray is all too excited about the old run-down firehouse and ruins the negotiations. It would make perfect sense that he would go out and buy a Donkey Kong machine if he saw one for sale.

Ray didn't give a poo poo.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Shouldn't this be L. Tulley and D. Barrett? Or V. Clortho and Zuul or something? Didn't they know Louis' name?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

beejay posted:

Shouldn't this be L. Tulley and D. Barrett? Or V. Clortho and Zuul or something? Didn't they know Louis' name?

When they bring Louis into the firehouse they don't know who he is at first, he just keeps calling himself the Keymaster.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He calls himself Vince Clortho but Janine very quickly gets his name from his ID. They keep calling him Vince to humor him because he's bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skxhii6VFdo

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Oh yeah. That scene is so freaking good. "Yes, have some"

I was always mesmerized by the dog head on the monitor too as a kid.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

beejay posted:

Oh yeah. That scene is so freaking good. "Yes, have some"

I was always mesmerized by the dog head on the monitor too as a kid.

The fact they would have had to pre-animate it and Rick would have to get the timing down perfectly is even more impressive.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: Janine's computer in the first GB is a DEC Rainbow 100, first released in 1982. They also appeared in Beverly Hills Cop, The Philadelphia Experiment, Buckaroo Banzai and Tales from the Darkside - Season 1, Episode 5, "Mookie and Pookie", all from 1984. Also Egon wired it up wrong!
http://starringthecomputer.com/computer.php?c=28
There were ad campaigns for the Rainbow 100 on TV so it wasn't incredibly widespread but it would have been fairly well known for a few years before Ghostbusters came out.

Jesus, Mookie and Pookie. Whenever I see Tales from the Darkside it's almost always Mookie and Pookie.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jamesman posted:

It fits in pretty well with how they were spending their money. Ray buys the old busted ambulance. Ray is all too excited about the old run-down firehouse and ruins the negotiations. It would make perfect sense that he would go out and buy a Donkey Kong machine if he saw one for sale.

Ray didn't give a poo poo.

This is an explanation I will accept. I'm now adding that arcade machine to the list of poo poo Ray can't help himself from getting/doing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

New footage. Anyone speak Ukranian, or read lips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2nBJTCIamw

Includes the concert thing, and the crowd-surfing part.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's a much better trailer. The booby ghost made me laugh.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

New footage. Anyone speak Ukranian, or read lips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2nBJTCIamw

Includes the concert thing, and the crowd-surfing part.

Couldn't understand any of it, but it looks like a way better edited trailer than the one we got.

Clearly Chris Pine is the key to all of this working. Men really are better. Go men. Boo women.

Wait.... Boo women? The female ghostbusters are the ghosts! poo poo!

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

This site already had a t-shirt for Beasts of Mayhem (what appears to be the band in the new trailer) up for sale along with other GB stuff: http://protoncharging.spreadshirt.com/

loving lol:

Also they have completely different proton packs in the concert scene. Must be prototypes??

Edit: VVVVV fffffffffuck... well at least I got the screengrab of the boob ghost logo lol

xezton fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 8, 2016

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Trailer pulled already. Any other links??

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Trailer pulled already. Any other links??

https://cdn.video.playwire.com/16812/videos/4670940/video-sd.mp4?hosting_id=16812

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My cousin is absolutely heartbroken at this trailer (growing up in the late 80s/early 90s, we were Ghostbusters fanatics). The trailer looks like it's going more for sightgags and slapstick as opposed to the more... subtle, I guess(?) Humor of the original.

Also, if there's no William Atherton cameo...

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Disappointed sure. It's clearly not what some people wanted (which was apparently a direct beat-for-beat-same-actors-same-as-the-first-one-but-with-new-effects remake).

Heartbroken?

If you have that much stock in a comedy movie from the 80's then I don't know what to tell you. People should not be this emotionally tied to a Sony IP.

No one's childhood is being raped.
No one's rights are being infringed upon.

You can all freely ignore this movie that clearly puts you in emotional distress and go watch the original instead! In fact I recommend that. It's a great movie!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

LadyPictureShow posted:

My cousin is absolutely heartbroken at this trailer (growing up in the late 80s/early 90s, we were Ghostbusters fanatics). The trailer looks like it's going more for sightgags and slapstick as opposed to the more... subtle, I guess(?) Humor of the original.

Also, if there's no William Atherton cameo...

what is subtle humor

someone once told me their favorite type of humor was subtle humor, like jonah hill

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PBS Newshour posted:

what is subtle humor

I think it's just a way expressing the concept of "jokes that aren't a woman saying she got goo in her vagina"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xezton posted:

Someone once said that if people feel their childhood was being raped they could simply avoid that by ............. growing up.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

I think it's just a way expressing the concept of "jokes that aren't a woman saying she got goo in her vagina"

Do you often refer to a vagina as a "crack"?

I always assumed that referred to a butt. Calling a vagina a crack is new to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I would rewatch the original Ghostbusters if you thought it wasn't a ton of sightgags and slapstick. Like seriously. The film's subtle moments are great but it features tons of slapstick humor and goofy visuals. Like the entire payoff to the ending is a bunch of scenes of people hilariously covered in marshmallow fluff (including one who manages to avoid most of it inexplicably.) The single most iconic ghost from the show is Slimer who exists to cover people with green mucus. Ghostbusters is not a subtle movie though it does have some fantastic subtle humor.

boom boom boom posted:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 9, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I wish we could go back to the subtle sophisticated humor of the original where the best joke was Bill Murray saying a guy didn't have a dick.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

xezton posted:

I always assumed that referred to a butt. Calling a vagina a crack is new to me.

she was quite explicit that the goo got in "every" crack. She didn't say it got in her crack, she said every crack. multiple cracks. That's where the goo got. in all of her multiple cracks.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

xezton posted:

Disappointed sure. It's clearly not what some people wanted (which was apparently a direct beat-for-beat-same-actors-same-as-the-first-one-but-with-new-effects remake).

Heartbroken?

If you have that much stock in a comedy movie from the 80's then I don't know what to tell you. People should not be this emotionally tied to a Sony IP.

No one's rights are being infringed upon.

You can all freely ignore this movie that clearly puts you in emotional distress and go watch the original instead! In fact I recommend that. It's a great movie!

I'm sure he's not sobbing in a bathtub with a handle of vodka and a knife ready to end it all. He'll probably just never watch it.

ImpAtom posted:

I would rewatch the original Ghostbusters if you thought it wasn't a ton of sightgags and slapstick. Like seriously. The film's subtle moments are great but it features tons of slapstick humor and goofy visuals. Like the entire payoff to the ending is a bunch of scenes of people hilariously covered in marshmallow fluff (including one who manages to avoid most of it inexplicably.) The single most iconic ghost from the show is Slimer who exists to cover people with green mucus. Ghostbusters is not a subtle movie though it does have some fantastic subtle humor.

I mean, compared to this one seeming like it's going for loud and zany, more subtle was the best term I could think of.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The only thing I can think of in the original movie that I would consider "slapstick" is Peck getting dumped with a shitload of marshmallow.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xezton posted:

Definition #7 at Urban Dictionary which, as we all know, is a source beyond reproach

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kevyn posted:

The only thing I can think of in the original movie that I would consider "slapstick" is Peck getting dumped with a shitload of marshmallow.

Rick Moranis's entire character tho.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess since this is sa's ghostbusters thread I'll drop in here to say that if anyone was thinking about it I've been starting to go through the recent GB comics and they're actually fairly good.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Definition #7 at Urban Dictionary which, as we all know, is a source beyond reproach

I stand corrected! :eng101:

boom boom boom posted:

she was quite explicit that the goo got in "every" crack. She didn't say it got in her crack, she said every crack. multiple cracks. That's where the goo got. in all of her multiple cracks.

I'll take your word for it that she is referring to goo getting into the folds of her labia in this PG-13 rated film.

Occam's crack.

Edit: VVVV

Paul Feig posted:

The reason I do a lot of R-Rated comedies is that you want a movie to feel honest. But the Ghostbusters world doesn’t need that level of swearing. We’ll have to be PG-13 with this one. I would like to make it R-Rated, but I won’t. You want the biggest number of people to watch it and not be put off by it.

xezton fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 9, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

xezton posted:

I'll take your word for it that she is referring to goo getting into the folds of her labia in this PG-13 rated film.

It's rated PG-13? Dang, I was not expecting that from the trailer

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
So Kristen Wiig's character has multiple buttcracks? Now that's spooky!

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

So Kristen Wiig's character has multiple buttcracks? Now that's spooky!

I thought she was making a joke akin to this popular internet meme

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

site posted:

I guess since this is sa's ghostbusters thread I'll drop in here to say that if anyone was thinking about it I've been starting to go through the recent GB comics and they're actually fairly good.

Hello friend. I agree, I love IDW's Ghostbuster's run. They did a 4 issue cross over with the Real Ghostbusters cartoon that was pretty amusing: (preview here, mild spoilers probs).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Scroto Baggins posted:

Hello friend. I agree, I love IDW's Ghostbuster's run. They did a 4 issue cross over with the Real Ghostbusters cartoon that was pretty amusing: (preview here, mild spoilers probs).

Get Real is the run I just finished! Now I'm going back to the previous volumes.

Esp since the new run International mentions a Chicago branch that I haven't heard of before.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Faiiiiiirly sure it's more like the term "in every nook and cranny", which has multiple alternatives like "crook and cranny". Some people may even say "crack and cranny".

I guess it always comes to butts for goons, right?

To throw my screaming into the wind, the only thing I don't like from the trailer is the stereotypical "sassy black woman". But, hey, I'll have to wait to see the movie to find out if that aspect is as bad as I worry.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The women I saw the trailer with knew immediately what "every crack" meant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kevyn posted:

Not to mention general lowbrow or silly physical humor

Which isn't a bad thing but I really think people are forgetting Ghostbusters could be fairly loud and physical. The new one looks different but it's also being made decades later. This doesn't mean it will be good but just the mere fact it's loud and flamboyant doesn't mean it is bad either, especially since subtle humor rarely plays well in trailers.

I mean I'll point out the Ghostbusters trailer (while I think legitimately better than the new trailer but that is tinged by knowing the context of the jokes) isn't exactly a laugh-a-minute or the best conveying of the film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vntAEVjPBzQ

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 9, 2016

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Also, gently caress it, there's so much negativity about this movie, I wanted to throw something positive at it, so here:

e: hosed up my link

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scroto Baggins posted:

Also, gently caress it, there's so much negativity about this movie, I wanted to throw something positive at it, so here:

:smith:

• Locked thread