Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

vyelkin posted:

MacKay's caricature of Obama is also getting worse.

That's Nelson Mandela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Hinkley Point nuclear project – The project is in crisis this weekend after reports that the finance director of EDF, the company behind the scheme, resigned"

Telegraph:

Junior doctors strike: NHS braced for 48-hour strike

Independent:

Boris Johnson: EU referendum gag email was 'cock-up'; Maria Sharapova provisionally banned from tennis after revealing failed drugs test

Times:

Mail:
Mac on.... Maria Sharapova

'We're ruined! Maria Sharapova has been banned for four years!'

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Mac's misogyny is so, dry? Is this what misogyny looks like in England?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Who What Now posted:

Well the kid on the right's smile is dampened by the knowledge that there are awful, hateful people like Assay in the world that want to imprison his parents and separate him and his baby sister by putting them in a broken foster care system.

He's putting on a brave face, because that's what Daddy and "Daddy" say will happen if he tells anyone about the "beautiful games" that happen in his bedroom every night. (Opinions (C) 1927 Charles Asay)

I think you're all forgetting that most people start from a position of hate and ignorance. We say "What's the difference?" because that's what we see in it, not because Asay put it there by accident.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Mac's misogyny is so, dry? Is this what misogyny looks like in England?

It's a reference to her shrieks during Wimbledon? It's not a great joke but it's hardly peak misogyny from Mac.

Also I really don't think the fractionally smaller smile in that Asay means anything specific. The younger child looks to have a bigger smile to me anyway.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Good news! Adam Ford is interesting and horrible.

And because you're all expecting it:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, pointing out that a tennis player is loud on the court is a hate crime.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Rorus Raz posted:

I wonder what Adam thinks all those good, wholesome, Christian males were doing in their free time for over a thousand years.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
According to Paul, marriage is for dirty sluts who just can't hold their lusts in. Why can't Adam just show some self-control and remain single and celibate?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They are not going to gently caress.

Also, if we had a Artist You Most Want to Get Into a Fistfight With, it would be a toss up between Ford and Branco.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
branco could probably hold his own but mister 4d gives the impression of someone who would lose a fight against a bobo clown blow-up

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Look at this fuckin idiot, who thinks God is some kind of perfect, omnibenevolent father figure. Where did he get that retard notion?"

"Incidentally, the only thing that keeps me from committing crimes and exploiting my fellow humans is being told that I will be punished for eternity. I have no personal moral compass."

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Saw this on my Facebook feed with no attribution today, guessing it's David Rowe from the style:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

Ontario's new Progressive Conservative opposition leader, Patrick Brown, is trying to be all things to all people.

That does sound like what someone who is leader of an oxymoronically named party would do.

I suppose that in addition to being a progressive conservative, he is also an authoritarian liberal, and perhaps in the activist days of his youth he was a fascist hippie.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What bothers me about that Ford comic is that there are often far more pressing roadblocks to getting hookers and blow than religious morality.

Like money.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

Man the last panel is such AGC to me.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

What bothers me about that Ford comic is that there are often far more pressing roadblocks to getting hookers and blow than religious morality.

Like money.

If it wasn't for the religious morality drugs wouldn't be as illicit and would therefore cost less.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Rorus Raz posted:

You're a gem

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

It's hard out here for a Christian gaybortionist.

Any day now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

vyelkin posted:

MacKay's caricature of Obama is also getting worse.

Also what is wrong with Michelle Obama's teeeeeeeth.

What the gently caress did he do to Sophie? Jesus that makes me angrier than anything.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Bless you Rorus Raz

GreenTea4Breakfast
Feb 17, 2016

good morning, friends

Give him credit for completeness -- when was the last time you saw a reference to Filegate?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

What the gently caress even are some of those. "Pardongate"?

e: also aren't "emailgate", IRS audits, and Private Email server the same?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

What Adam and his ilk don't get is that homosexuality has no rational basis for being a sin. God wouldn't name people sinners for no reason, so that points to Paul being wrong when he wrote about homosexuality as a 1st century man understood it. But that means that *gasp* the Bible isn't a literal document and should be read critically, which is anathema to people like Adam who just want an Authority that is Always Right. That's why they parrot "the Bible says it's sinful", because any ounce of reason means giving up the surety of their world view.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
Bors posted some stuff about the whole dick thing

Matt Bors posted:

A few months ago, I made a couple of drawings of little penises with Donald Trump hair and mailed them to friends. You know, for fun. Today, “Donald Trump defends size of his penis” is a real CNN headline on planet earth.

We’ve come to the portion of the GOP primary where penis size is critical. It happens every cycle, but never so explicitly as this. Trump, who appears to be very psychologically injured about the whole small hands thing, assured America that it has no bearing on his penis, which is absolutely beautiful, tremendous, the best, he has some of the most brilliant people working on it, it’s very incredible, I mean really you oughta see this thing.

Where do we go from here? It’s increasingly looking like it could be Hillary and Trump and I can only imagine what sexually profane insults and comparisons will be hurled her way, especially with Bill in tow, another man whose penis we’d heard quite enough about.

Here’s a panel from my sketchbook that didn’t make the final cut:

Cruella de Vil looks p mad in panel 3

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

loquacius posted:

Bors posted some stuff about the whole dick thing

Cruella de Vil looks p mad in panel 3

I love that first panel. "Honey, the cartoon boy is exaggerating again!" :allears:

GreenTea4Breakfast
Feb 17, 2016

good morning, friends

majormonotone posted:

What the gently caress even are some of those. "Pardongate"?

e: also aren't "emailgate", IRS audits, and Private Email server the same?

Pardongate was when Bill pardoned four hundred people on his last day in office. I'm hard-pressed to imagine its relevance here

Emailgate is listed three times because of its epochal significance

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like money.

That's no problem for Ford, he's pulling down mad Christian satire money now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kajeesus posted:

"Incidentally, the only thing that keeps me from committing crimes and exploiting my fellow humans is being told that I will be punished for eternity. I have no personal moral compass."
This is a notion that's foreign to a lot of people. Not just religious people, either - the idea that if society wasn't around to tell you what to do you'd still have a notion of moral conduct - more than that, that you have a notion of moral conduct that is separate and distinct from that of the society you live in - looks like an obvious impossibility to any number of people who haven't given the subject much thought.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

GreenTea4Breakfast posted:

Pardongate was when Bill pardoned four hundred people on his last day in office. I'm hard-pressed to imagine its relevance here

Emailgate is listed three times because of its epochal significance

Hey, if it's a "gate," it's gotta be important.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slightly Political Red Meat

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation

How has nobody made a Whiskey Sours edit of this yet

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If a genie gave me one wish, it would be to make it that every time someone added '-gate' to some event/controversy/whatever, they got a paper cut...between their fingers.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Political Cartoons 2016: "Honey, the cartoon boy is exaggerating again!"

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

I would have gone with just this, solid joke, one panel, brevity soul wit, etc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cat Mattress posted:

That does sound like what someone who is leader of an oxymoronically named party would do.

I suppose that in addition to being a progressive conservative, he is also an authoritarian liberal, and perhaps in the activist days of his youth he was a fascist hippie.

It was originally the Liberal - Conservative party, the just the Conservative party and then in 1942 the leader of the Manitoban Prohressive party joined them on the condition that they add Progressive to their name.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

This is a notion that's foreign to a lot of people. Not just religious people, either - the idea that if society wasn't around to tell you what to do you'd still have a notion of moral conduct - more than that, that you have a notion of moral conduct that is separate and distinct from that of the society you live in - looks like an obvious impossibility to any number of people who haven't given the subject much thought.

And to some people who have given the subject a lot of thought, for that matter. Freud isn't exactly the current standard in psychology, but the idea of a superego entirely informed by rules dictated by parents and society isn't something that was dismissed immediately by anyone who thought about it. The idea of morality being entirely environmental is a tempting one for people who like model the human mind as uniform and deterministic.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Improbable Lobster posted:

It was originally the Liberal - Conservative party, the just the Conservative party and then in 1942 the leader of the Manitoban Prohressive party joined them on the condition that they add Progressive to their name.

Specifically, it started out as a coalition party, because we can do that in Canada as we have more than two of them. They've dropped the 'progressive' part of their name or changed it entirely a few times but they keep going back. And they are indeed less right-wing than some parties that have existed, like the Reform Party and the Canadian Alliance (though that might not be a great example given the CA eventually merged with the Conservatives).

Though the party is still the PCs, I almost never hear them called anything but just Conservatives, though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation

Taciturn Tactician posted:

And to some people who have given the subject a lot of thought, for that matter. Freud isn't exactly the current standard in psychology, but the idea of a superego entirely informed by rules dictated by parents and society isn't something that was dismissed immediately by anyone who thought about it. The idea of morality being entirely environmental is a tempting one for people who like model the human mind as uniform and deterministic.

That debate was presented to me in high school as the Freud school of thought (humans are essentially bestial and society keeps them in line) versus the Rousseau school of thought (humans are essentially good and society corrupts them)

Both of them seem overly simplistic to me now ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
well the Canberra Times fixed David Pope's page, so enjoy these slightly-too-small images.

and have a bonus Cathy Wilcox

• Locked thread