Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Clearly we just need to get our Mars colony self-sustaining before Mottom invades.

I wonder if the Demiurges have ever come across an interplanetary civilisation. Or a universe where life exists on more than one world. (In universes like ours where there actually is outer space and such)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There are plenty of universes full of planets and aliens and such. Then again, there are universes where the Sun orbits the earth within a flawless crystal sphere. It just depends on which god was telling the story.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wiegieman posted:

There are plenty of universes full of planets and aliens and such.

Aliens, though... it seems like true intelligence must come from the flame, and thus be one of the inheritors. Of course, a God may have told a universe where sustainers were aliens.

I'm just wondering if life scattered across a galaxy would've been safe from the Demiurges when they came to that Earth.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

MikeJF posted:

I'm just wondering if life scattered across a galaxy would've been safe from the Demiurges when they came to that Earth.

This must be some novel new use of the word 'safe' I'm unfamiliar with

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man, early spaceflight would make for a great story. A technological world, not far ahead of our own, invaded by magical superwarrors that can knock aside their nukes and armies with ease, driving them back to the stone age and ravaging them. But the invaders have no idea that out there, beyond the planet, were a handful of colonists, miners, scientists... no weapons, struggling for their own survival, powerless to do anything but look on in horror for entire generations as they fight to keep going without support from their homeworld, afraid to even venture too close for fear of being seen, slowly building their population and growing and establishing themselves whilst beneath them their people are ravaged... until they can finally begin to plan their return.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the real reason is because if you really want some bullshit about cool laser cannons and jet fighters totally punking magic demigods who oh man did not see that coming you're looking for this story, not Kill Six Billion Demons

my biggest disappointment with myself is that i don't even have to look at the link to know exactly what story it is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Too bad 666 was never translated to English, it's a hilarious comic on the theme of a demon invasion getting punked.

Here, a "demogonio" explodes while attempting to measure the degree of demonic influence on a corpse. Yes, the gizmo in question is operated by someone who looks suspiciously like Waldo, working with someone who looks suspiciously like a young Bill Gates.

It was published in 1993, so long before the "over 9000" meme appeared on the Internet.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 7, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Catching up with the discussion about "The Road Not Taken," it's actually the prequel to another short story, "Herbig-Haro." Take the two together and its more analogy about colonialism & imperialism than anything, though one rather sympathetic to the imperialists.

Speaking of which, there's an analogy from the Age of Discovery that applies pretty well to K6BD. In our own history, the Pope at one point divided all lands outside of Christendom not already claimed between Portugal and Spain. This explicitly included as yet undiscovered non-Christian lands that they hadn't gotten around to finding and conquering yet. I figure a similar situation applies with the demiurges' realms in K6BD. Mottom's ravaged the worlds she's conquered because its easier (for her at least) to suck a world dry before going looking for more to exploit, not because there's actually any resource scarcity. And she's got a big enough realm that there's plenty of untapped worlds out there.

Hell, her realm might be big enough to do crop rotation. Once she uses up a set of worlds, she moves on the next ones. And by the time she gets back to the first set, they've had time to rebuild - at least to a level that is worth ravaging. Yeah, in theory Mottom could get even more wealth and power with more careful husbanding of her realm. But she's already got overwhelming power and countless wealth, so why bother?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 8, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Not like there aren't analogies like that on Earth. I'm reminded of a Mongol emperor demanding tribute and continuing on with conquests despite ruling half of Eurasia.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
An interuniverse Treaty of Tordesillas, where we're some uncontacted tribe way out in the Amazon that just gets passed over? I suppose I can see that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's clearly not the case, though, since she's returned to this shitpile.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Speaking of magic and technology clashing, I can't believe no one's linked this thing yet.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

DarkCrawler posted:

Not like there aren't analogies like that on Earth. I'm reminded of a Mongol emperor demanding tribute and continuing on with conquests despite ruling half of Eurasia.

Khorne would be freakin' loving this gift to sit his big sexy rear end rump down on.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Now that is an epic hat.... http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-4-65/

Dunno about mercy though, I suspect this will not end well.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Holy poo poo, her physical body looks much better than her shade.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

well I wasn't expecting that

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

doubtful

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Quinton posted:

Now that is an epic hat.... http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-4-65/

Dunno about mercy though, I suspect this will not end well.

Death is a kind of mercy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That's probably a stand-in. If you rule a seventh of creation you don't spend your time accepting tribute.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Probably a stand-in, maybe a glamour.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if you rule a seventh of creation you spend your time doing whatever the gently caress you want, and a character who represents gluttony would probably not be too opposed to receiving lots and lots of gifts

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm not entirely sure about the void rules but I don't think the Demiurge meeting was conducted by shades? Considering how everyone present, from the minor servants with food plates on their head, seemed pretty corporeal to me.

Anyway, I don't see how someone with Mottom's power couldn't just magic herself to look better

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 9, 2016

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I thought this would be a suicide bomber scene but actually it's just theater for all the assembled delegates. In retrospect it makes sense because Pryan Sor was allowed to sass Om for a full paragraph before the reveal.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

the demiurge meeting was in Throne so it doesnt involve shades

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So he'll last to see a third page, impressive. Will his luck hold for a fourth page? Probably not, but betting is open!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Cat Mattress posted:

So he'll last to see a third page, impressive. Will his luck hold for a fourth page? Probably not, but betting is open!

Or the next page is Mottom saying something like "A swift death is mercy enough" and then we just see a blood cloud where he used to be. Assuming that's actually Mottom, of course. Maybe it's Maybelline.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

jsoh posted:

if you rule a seventh of creation you spend your time doing whatever the gently caress you want, and a character who represents gluttony would probably not be too opposed to receiving lots and lots of gifts

yeah I don't know what else you see her spending all her time doing, this kind of looks like the whole point

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

the demiurge meeting was in Throne so it doesnt involve shades

It was atop some dead god's head I think

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah I don't know what else you see her spending all her time doing

Crochet? I bet she'd be into crochet.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Maybe she somehow gets better looking the more she eats or takes, hence all this tribute stuff, and she was in between meals when she was at the meeting?

Or she could just be casting an illusion. That's probably not that hard for one who breathes in ROYALTY to do.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

she and Gog-Agog just spent last night doing MAKEOVERS

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dmitri-9 posted:

I thought this would be a suicide bomber scene but actually it's just theater for all the assembled delegates. In retrospect it makes sense because Pryan Sor was allowed to sass Om for a full paragraph before the reveal.

Given the last panel of the last page I was expecting them to attack her, yeah. Sor's statements plus the post and expression of his associate made it seem like they were making a dramatic pre-fight move.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

It was atop some dead god's head I think

The big zoomout at the end was in the void.

According to the tumblr, Mottom's will is so powerful it's like she carries real space with her when in the void, which is how the assembled palace can travel so conveniently. I assume the other Demiurges might be the same.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Cat Mattress posted:

I think the real bet is whether he goes out in messy chunks or a fine powder/mist.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Superstring posted:

I think the real bet is whether he goes out in messy chunks or a fine powder/mist.

otoh, why bother obliterating a motherfucker when hes already proven powerless to stop you from plundering his world down to the bedrock and hes so patently beneath you. Gog-Agog got a faceful of PERISH because she is nominally Mottoms equal, and you dont want to stand for lip from someone in a position to threaten you. this guy? who gives a poo poo, let him strew bones all over the place.

e. like, whats he gonna do, incite a rebellion? oh no, where ever could Mottom get the resources to crush one of those.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 9, 2016

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Two hundred chests of bone, that's good stuff! Pre-cleaned of flesh and everything.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

paranoid randroid posted:

otoh, why bother obliterating a motherfucker when hes already proven powerless to stop you from plundering his world down to the bedrock and hes so patently beneath you. Gog-Agog got a faceful of PERISH because she is nominally Mottoms equal, and you dont want to stand for lip from someone in a position to threaten you. this guy? who gives a poo poo, let him strew bones all over the place.

e. like, whats he gonna do, incite a rebellion? oh no, where ever could Mottom get the resources to crush one of those.

If she lets one random king flip her off, soon all of them will. Next thing you know, her peers are seeing her orderly holdings fall to anarchy and start to wonder if this is indicative of a sudden weakness that can be exploited. Also, most importantly, it could slow down her ability to gather nice things.

Superstring posted:

There's still room for the ironic punishment! She does have an audience to awe, after all.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Mercy for him, she says. Doesn't mean the rest of his people get any.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I bet whatever happens, it'll be metal as gently caress.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

ConfusedUs posted:

I bet whatever happens, it'll be metal as gently caress.

No bet. You couldn't give me odds high enough to take the other side without inventing a entire new form of math for extremely large numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

His people are starving to death. A face full of PERISH for his entire world is merciful.