Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

There's some rationalizations for new-u stations working/not-working that make sense. They don't work for Roland, because as an actual dangerous rebel against Hyperion he was removed from the databanks. But the player character wasn't- at first because Jack doesn't regard you as a threat/is using you to accomplish his goals/gets mad cash when you die. But later on (after Angel's death) it's personal- so you stay in the system because he wants to be the one to kill you, and isn't willing to risk someone else getting you.

Handsome Jack not coming back... I dunno. Too rich is a funny answer, so I like it. Maybe he was just too conceited and proud to even consider death as a possibility.

but really the writers should have realized the problem and addressed it explicitly in game, I think.

Hyperion is cutthroat as poo poo and the boss being dead means there's room at the top. Oh no, somehow his entry has been accidentally deleted/corrupted how could this happen.

It's not even hard to address if they want to treat them as more than a silly gameplay conceit, they just didn't.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, aside from having a horribly annoying story and being a bad RPG, BL2 is also just not a very good shooter. With the the HP scaling, most weapons don't feel particularly powerful and it often takes an annoyingly long time to even just kill regular trash enemies. And for all their touted weapon variety, many of the weapons don't even feel particularly different in terms of actually using them. Most of the time their differences just boil down to how long you need to hold down the trigger until the enemy's dead.

Each manufacturer does something different, like torgue guns don't reload, you chuck them at an enemy and they explode. There's one that's really high damage but low clips, hyperion is lower damage but big clips/fast reload or something, whatever. Between makers they feel distinct most of the time, but yeah the individual guns not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gaige is awful because her only good damage skill is Anarchy, and Anarchy is a stupid mess. Not only does it have that weird reloading penalty, but in order to use it you have to build up a ton of stacks of it and not die. So if Gaige dies you have to run around for like twenty minutes minimum to be able to do enough damage to deal with any high-level threats.

Meanwhile, a bunch of other classes can hand out even more damage, without the accuracy penalties or weird requirements, anytime they want. Gaige might be the worst-designed character in the game, which is a shame because she'd be pretty interesting. Left tree doesn't scale into high levels, middle tree is just straight-up useless, right tree is built around the flawed Anarchy mechanic.

wait so is gaige the only character that majorly pigeonholes what weapon type you should be using? she's the only class i really put any time into and the anarchy mechanic eventually soured me on playing any more because literally all gaige wanted were shotguns with 1 or 2 ammo per reload and i like switching between weapons alot in fpses but playing her meant i had 2 or 3 empty weapon slots at all times

if any of the other classes are better about this i'd probably give the game another chance

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

wait so is gaige the only character that majorly pigeonholes what weapon type you should be using? she's the only class i really put any time into and the anarchy mechanic eventually soured me on playing any more because literally all gaige wanted were shotguns with 1 or 2 ammo per reload and i like switching between weapons alot in fpses but playing her meant i had 2 or 3 empty weapon slots at all times

if any of the other classes are better about this i'd probably give the game another chance

They all pigeonhole you to some extent by giving you bonuses to certain ways of playing. Personally I found Gaige could use most of the weapons in the game. I used a lot of pistols and SMGs with her, since they tended to reload faster than shotguns and you could just pray and spray your clip away, dealing lots of damage with anarchy and having some of your missed shots hit anyway due to one of her other skills.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Perestroika posted:

With the the HP scaling, most weapons don't feel particularly powerful and it often takes an annoyingly long time to even just kill regular trash enemies.

The moment I knew I was never going to play a Borderlands game was when a video of BL2 was posted in the Little Things thread. There's apparently a quest where you have to use a gun that makes this horrendously irritating squealing noise whenever you fire it. In the video, the player was doing that quest, fighting what appeared to be just a bunch of regular enemies, but each one took what seemed like about 30 seconds of sustained automatic fire to bring down. "Oh, that's funny," I thought, "it's really weak so you have to listen to that awful noise for a really long time while you're using it." Only for another goon to explain "see, it's funny because it's actually really powerful, so you have to listen to it if you want to be effective!"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The moment I knew I was never going to play a Borderlands game was when a video of BL2 was posted in the Little Things thread. There's apparently a quest where you have to use a gun that makes this horrendously irritating squealing noise whenever you fire it. In the video, the player was doing that quest, fighting what appeared to be just a bunch of regular enemies, but each one took what seemed like about 30 seconds of sustained automatic fire to bring down. "Oh, that's funny," I thought, "it's really weak so you have to listen to that awful noise for a really long time while you're using it." Only for another goon to explain "see, it's funny because it's actually really powerful, so you have to listen to it if you want to be effective!"

I thought that was one of the few actual good jokes in the game, the humor based around the actual gameplay systems like the aforementioned Kill Yourself quest or Face McShooty's quest to shoot him in the face was a lot better than the endless streams of wacky one-liners and memes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The redneck is the main character though?

There was another redneck who is the first character you meet and dies five minutes into the game. I was hoping to go on wacky space shootmans white trash hijinks with him until his sudden death.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

Play Salvador. He is the best-designed character, you can try lots of builds without rare equipment, and he can use everything.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man, the early grind in Phantasy Star II is bad even by the standards of early JRPGs. It doesn't help that they saddle you with a character who can't fight, but it takes so drat long to be able to get rid of starter enemies in one hit (those loving mosquitoes).

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

You tried to argue that the story is wrong because a nonexistent video contradicts a minor plot point that is actually addressed in the game

I mean i dunno if "death of a main character" is a minor plot point

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm not a fan of borderlands but come on guys. The story is dumb and not meant to be taken seriously. It's just dumb quips the game makes when you die, not some hole in a story. It's like trying to have a serious discussion on why cartoon characters don't age.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Handsome Jack a boring villain?! He's worth it just for that laughing rant he gives about gouging someone's eyes out with the spoon they tried to kill him with.

gently caress the drop rates in that game though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really like both the casual mindless grinding AND the absurd puzzle style min-maxing you can do in almost all versions of Disgaea but the Chara World from 4 is so tremendously unfun in literally every way I'm worried I'm missing something vital.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm not a fan of borderlands but come on guys. The story is dumb and not meant to be taken seriously. It's just dumb quips the game makes when you die, not some hole in a story. It's like trying to have a serious discussion on why cartoon characters don't age.

It tries to flip the "serious" switch a little too often for a game that shouldn't be taken seriously. (Not disagreeing, by the way.)

I thought a few of the things you pick up in audio logs and the like did have some decent emotional impact, but that's more a sign of good voice acting and a personal willingness to mark out a bit over what's basically an FPS comic book. Dumb characters, plot holes, flawed writing and all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dewgy posted:

It tries to flip the "serious" switch a little too often for a game that shouldn't be taken seriously. (Not disagreeing, by the way.)

That's another stupid thing from BL2, after the guy dies, you're given a quest to tell people that he's dead. Except the little girl. Who he had saved several times and had been saved by even more times. They even make a joke out of it in the trailer for one of the DLCs that no one told the little girl that he was dead.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

It's a quest reward, and it doesn't feature in any future quests. It also comes with the disadvantage of slowing you down as you fire it.

But your point about it taking forever to kill guys stands.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

It's a quest reward, and it doesn't feature in any future quests. It also comes with the disadvantage of slowing you down as you fire it.

But your point about it taking forever to kill guys stands.

It wasn't the weapon itself, it's that the TTK was so long on what appeared to be bog-standard enemies that I assumed it was supposed to be comically weak until another goon said that that's just how Borderlands 2 is. I guess if I was right the first time and it is just a weak weapon that's not too bad but they were making it sound like it's supposed to be even stronger than normal weapons.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ryoshi posted:

I really like both the casual mindless grinding AND the absurd puzzle style min-maxing you can do in almost all versions of Disgaea but the Chara World from 4 is so tremendously unfun in literally every way I'm worried I'm missing something vital.

What's the Chara World and why is it bad?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Brother Entropy posted:

wait so is gaige the only character that majorly pigeonholes what weapon type you should be using?

I had trouble recalling any class that really strong-arms you into using one specific weapon type besides Zero's sniper tree, and upon looking that up, I was surprised to see that even that is more open than I thought it was. Still very obviously meant for sniper rifles, but most of the early generalist bonuses aren't tagged as sniper-only. Other than that I saw one Axton skill for assault rifles and I guess Krieg's pyro tree obviously wants fire weapons, but that's a little different.

I suppose there's inevitably some :spergin: optimal :spergin: weapon/class combos, but I've never felt like that level of rigid optimization was actually necessary on a first playthrough.

It wasn't the weapon itself, it's that the TTK was so long on what appeared to be bog-standard enemies that I assumed it was supposed to be comically weak until another goon said that that's just how Borderlands 2 is. I guess if I was right the first time and it is just a weak weapon that's not too bad but they were making it sound like it's supposed to be even stronger than normal weapons.

Talking about TTK or bullet-sponginess or whatever equivalent issue in Borderlands is a huge mess because even if you assume folks are talking about the first playthrough, so no stupidly inflated health pools, and you ignore how hugely subjective it seems to be, you still have to factor in their class, their build, their weapons (including how un/kind the drops were to them), which enemies they're shooting, and even just what specific encounter they're in the middle of.

I'm left assuming part of the problem is that due to the way the game is balanced, non-elemental weapons require way more skill/raw stats to be effective (unless you get something hugely mismatched, you really need to be getting consistent critical hits on enemies, this might also be why Jakob's weapons seem to crop up much more frequently in the early game), which clashes with how they're the most common weapon type in the early game where both player skill and class stat boosts are low. The games have also never been particularly good about explaining how elemental guns work beyond the broadest of terms - in particular, lightning damage is not solely useful for stripping shields, but they all have quirks beyond the obvious (this was extra super bad in BL1 thanks to the completely opaque tech pool system, gah).

The other thing that I think hurts the hell out of player perception is the limited weapon slots. I'm sure there's some explanation in some design doc somewhere about either a) wanting another player power vector or b) protecting newbies from being overwhelmed by being able to equip four weapons right out of the gate, but the game is much more enjoyable when you vary up your loadout instead of stubbornly sticking with, say, a plain revolver and an assault rifle and slowly upgrading them over time as you struggle against what the game drops. Having weapon slots open earlier would allow you to keep your favorite stuff handy while also having room to rotate in/out new weapons to experiment with but with substantially less fumbling around in the inventory. (Oh yeah, and this obviously interacts very poorly with Slag weapons.)

Lastly, I wonder if there's some additional pressure coming from the ammo system itself. They did a good job at making capacity upgrades valuable, but I think they went a little too far. Often you feel like you're only just keeping up with the ammo curve rather than comfortably aligning with or slightly surpassing it. I also wouldn't be surprised if the ammo ratios (that is, the unique amount of extra capacity you get based on gun type) are slightly off. And at the end of the day, it is really hard to defend the game's weird obsession with ammo scavenging. All of this adds largely unnecessary overhead that, even if raw TTK isn't nearly as bad as people say it is, still forces the player to be overly ammo-conscious and makes encounters feel ammo-spongey simply because it's so easy to run out of ammo even if you're doing well. (Oh, and obviously if you're stuck using only a maximum of 2 weapon types for the first chunk of the game, you're essentially only working with 50% of your largest possible ammo pool. This also probably clashes with how it takes a while for various weapon types to be added to the drop pool, explicitly for that "too confusing to newbies" issue I mentioned previously.)

In short, if you want to get more enjoyment out of BL2, don't get attached to any one specific weapon type and abuse elemental weapons for all they're worth.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Mar 11, 2016

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Randalor posted:

That's another stupid thing from BL2, after the guy dies, you're given a quest to tell people that he's dead. Except the little girl. Who he had saved several times and had been saved by even more times. They even make a joke out of it in the trailer for one of the DLCs that no one told the little girl that he was dead.

This was the whole point of the Tiny Tina D&DLC. It was her coming to terms with the death of a close friend.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Randalor posted:

They planned to, I think the files are even still there, it's just not doable.

It would've been the only time Tina calmed down. She would just stop, go to her workshop, and close the door.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

There's some rationalizations for new-u stations working/not-working that make sense. They don't work for Roland, because as an actual dangerous rebel against Hyperion he was removed from the databanks. But the player character wasn't- at first because Jack doesn't regard you as a threat/is using you to accomplish his goals/gets mad cash when you die. But later on (after Angel's death) it's personal- so you stay in the system because he wants to be the one to kill you, and isn't willing to risk someone else getting you.

Handsome Jack not coming back... I dunno. Too rich is a funny answer, so I like it. Maybe he was just too conceited and proud to even consider death as a possibility.

but really the writers should have realized the problem and addressed it explicitly in game, I think.
No, see, now what you're doing is trying to make BL into a coherent narrative that tries to be dramatic and have fallen into the same, stupid, pit that Burch dude did.

It's bad. There shouldn't be enough plot in the game to have holes.

They also shouldn't have been boring and unoriginal and stayed on Pandora when 1 made it really, really obvious they were going to another hellhole planet, but ehh, that's Gearbox for you.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
I think it's weird world that we live in that games are now supposed to be storytelling pieces. Something something "back in my day". Real talk, it's not a bad thing, just a foreign concept to me. Like, if I want a good story I'll go watch a movie or read a novel so I don't have to play the crappy game that the framework of the story is draped from.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlueKingBar posted:

I think it's weird world that we live in that games are now supposed to be storytelling pieces. Something something "back in my day". Real talk, it's not a bad thing, just a foreign concept to me. Like, if I want a good story I'll go watch a movie or read a novel so I don't have to play the crappy game that the framework of the story is draped from.

Yeah, that's fair, to each their own.

All I ask is that the story is at least moderately competent. It doesn't have to measure up to [Season whenever it was good] Simpsons but it needs to at least keep me from being disinterested in it or repulsed by it like Pixels or Assassin's Creed 3. Or just confused like every Kingdom Hearts game beyond the first one.

If you don't have standards then you give developers carte blanche to just carve out the bottom of the barrel for the stories and we'll end up with poo poo that makes Dominic Deegan look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Mar 11, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BlueKingBar posted:

Some games have great plots but every now and then I just want another game with the story of Doom. Bad guys over there, have a shitload of weapons, kill murder kill.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Man, the early grind in Phantasy Star II is bad even by the standards of early JRPGs. It doesn't help that they saddle you with a character who can't fight, but it takes so drat long to be able to get rid of starter enemies in one hit (those loving mosquitoes).

Which character can't fight? Isn't it Rolf and Nei at first?

Agree with the difficulty though, back in the day the game actually came with a hintbook since some of its mechanics and quests were so obtuse. Phantasy Star IV is a lot better at pointing you in the right direction and not having bullshit like the whatevera tree.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Some games have great plots but every now and then I just want another game with the story of Doom. Bad guys over there, have a shitload of weapons, kill murder kill.

If your story is just "demons invade, kill demons" that's pretty fine and I'd rather more games like that if they can't pull off something better because if you try to make something more involved but then fail at it, it kind of sucks and makes the game less fun as a result.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Len posted:

Assault Android Cactus might be something you like. You are one of several androids (one of which is named Cactus). Bosses took the over space ship you're on. Kill their minions and then kill the bosses. Aside from short dialogue at the start of boss fights that can even be turned off, the game's plot is right up there with Mario while still having a lot of charm and character.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
So this is a bug that I only just learned of on a recent play-through despite having played this game, I don't even know how many times, but it really sucks. Pure dumb luck I figured out what was actually (probably) supposed to happen in an in-game scenario that doesn't appear to resolve correctly.

Anyway, a bit of explanation might be required. Basically, in FRIENDS: True Friends, you've got to advance the six main character stories, which start of separate and then converges depending on what story flags you trigger along the way. This means you end up with several endings, like more or less how the old Fallout games also did their endings, but centred on character couplings rather than locations.

You're meant to work towards the "good"/ canon ending of all 6 characters being resolved at once, the titular "true friends" ending, but you also get, probably, 3 endings of 2 couples, like Joey/Chandler, Rachel/Ross, Monica/Phoebe (this was wayyy before Monica/Chandler was a real thing). A few endings have an uneven number of storylines syncing up, which allows for a game resolution where some characters aren't paired up with anybody. If this happens, instead of no ending, those main characters get paired up with a npc and get an ending that doesn't have much to do with anything you actually did in game, but just as a working resolution. Like Phoebe travels with Ursula, Rachel hooks up with Gunther (lol). What sucks is that, based on the game disc directories, there is almost definitely a solo ending for Chandler, as well, which is almost certainly him being coupled with Janice since Maggie Wheeler is credited as doing voice work in-game, but seemingly nowhere in it. It isn't actually possible to get Chandler's solo ending since he is the one friend able to do endings with every single other friend, meaning that there is no way to progress every other character storyline without eventually opting out of the solo Chandler ending.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I wish somebody competent had made Undertale. It has some interesting ideas in terms of plot and characters, but the game play is so, so boring and the art is just terrible. I heard everyone raving about it and I really tried to like it, but it just feels like a slapped-together Earthbound romhack most of the time.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BlueKingBar posted:

Same. If I want a narrative there is a lifetime of wonderful written work that only takes a little research to start uncovering, a whole world of ideas and wordplay and intricately developed characters in lived-in settings. Or there are the great movies and critics to guide you through them.

Videogame plots are basically a matte painting to disguise the actual only reason to ever play videogames, which is good gameplay. The only exception being if they manage to advance narratives through actual gameplay mechanics, like that mission in Metro 2033 where a kid is on your back the whole level so your aim and control is all hosed up, or you massacre all the civilians in Spec Ops: The Line without thinking about it and then you think about it for years, or any emergent narrative you might see for example in FTL, when almost all your crew gets massacred and you limp your broken ship across a hostile galaxy only to have that perfect burst laser II fall into your lap and turn the whole game around.

Basically what I'm saying is jam on the skip cutscenes button in all games at all times and read good books and you'll be better off.

Edit: and the most important narrative decision in all of videogames, which is making Stephen Heck your buddy in Alpha Protocol, for reasons I'm sure someone else will note.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Mar 11, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nostradingus posted:

I wish somebody competent had made Undertale. It has some interesting ideas in terms of plot and characters, but the game play is so, so boring and the art is just terrible. I heard everyone raving about it and I really tried to like it, but it just feels like a slapped-together Earthbound romhack most of the time.

It gets a lot better when you exit the ruins, honestly, even though I feel like the whole product could have used a little something else.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

moosecow333 posted:

I recently purchased Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and as far as I'm concerned the level design team should be tried as war criminals. Many of the solutions to progress make no sense, there's no indication on where you should head next most of the time, and many of the panels that unlock doors blend in perfectly.

Maybe I'm spoiled by modern gaming more or less holding your hand at all times, but this game was the first time in years I had to look up a guide online.

The original Jedi Knight liked making areas big enough to get a little lost in, and Jedi Outcast actually cut that down to be much, much more linear by comparison. It's supposed to feel like exploration.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nostradingus posted:

Please tell me you at least got to the skeleton fight. That's the other-shoe-drops moment for most people.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The thing really dragging down BL2 is that everyone behind it showed that BL1 was pure, blind luck. The iconic look? A relatively late addition and literally skin-deep. The story is laughably pathetic fan-fiction level dreck and it had every chance to be better, but didn't. The game went from having one hated and annoying character to having so many it's hard to remember.

This is all very true. I liked BL2 enough, but it's got so many problems I wish another developer had made it. It feels very obvious that no one play tested it through more than once. Nearly every character is frustrating to listen to, there's no incentive to horde weapons for builds, there's almost no reason to use non-elemental weapons. Single player devolves into into battling masses of samey bullet sponges, while your character gets either one or two hitted, depending on who you picked. Playing multi isn't fun because people just drop the best guns at your feet and run past all the interesting areas. It's much more fun with friends, but as others said, who wants to play a game with so much plot with friends around?

The people that grind in those games are insane from my perspective. There's no overreaching reward, just 'better gear' that lets you kill bosses slightly faster. People spend hours doing boss runs over and over and it just seems so shallow. So dipping in to online multi is basically not enjoyable.

The first game is better in several key ways. BL2 had 'more weapon variety' but the manufacturer traits really just pigeonhole everything. BL1 guns can get super nasty, while BL2's feels more like there's one or two guns per manufacturer, total. They should never have limited manufacturers gun types. A Jakobs is a Jakobs is a Jakobs in BL2. You can't get attached to guns in BL2 as it just spews interchangeable stat increases at you.

BL1 plot made more sense - there was a vault, you hunted it and that was that. There were some colourful characters but mostly they were in the background. It was also more tonally consistent, it never seemed to have "REAL MOMENTS OF EMOTION", it just had space Hunter S. Thompson and lots of shooting.

The settings in 2 are much nicer, the snow zone was a nice change, as was the industrial areas, acid cave and the volcano. BL1 does get exhausting, looking at desert all the time. It's also nice that there's faster travel.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lizard Wizard posted:

What's the Chara World and why is it bad?

Item World allows you to create random dungeons from items, right? The dungeons are created with random Geo Panel layouts and anywhere from like 4 to 12 enemies, and jumping out before an exit with a Mr. Gency Exit still levels up the item for all the stages you managed to clear.

Chara World makes random dungeons from characters. You select something you want to increase or change on a character, for example teaching a unit a skill from a unit next to it on the Base Map, and jump in. Unlike the fun dungeons of Item World, Chara World stages have no Geo Panels at all and maybe 1-3 enemies per floor. And a shitload of Geo Blocks, like, hundreds of them.

Now clearing the Geo Blocks on every floor is super helpful, almost to the point of necessity - the upgrade you chose before entering Chara World is available on floor 9, but it costs an absolute shitload of Mana. Clearing a floor of Blocks lowers that mana requirement each time it happens. The main problem is that it's loving tedious to go and break all the blocks since the random layout means chances are there's no way to chain more than a few at a time. On top of that, clearing blocks or using skills destroys a chunk of the floor, meaning characters with a low jump stat can get stuck for a while (just in case the idea of basically playing a super lovely version of Minecraft in a turn based strategy game wasn't tedious enough for you).

Plus since there's only a couple enemies on any given stage there's a good chance they'll kill themselves by walking up and smacking one of your units with high attack and a good counter rate. To get around this you are basically forced to lift one enemy per stage and just eat the resulting damage while the rest of your units clear the blocks. It's ludicrous.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nostradingus posted:

My biggest problem with it is superficial but it's that wasd isn't how you control the character.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
After so long, I've finally beaten Project X Zone 2. And as fun as it is, I've been seeing it suffer from a significant flaw all game, that I only feel confident voicing after seeing the whole thing.

For the most part, PXZ2 is deceptively well-written. Yes, it's crossover porn, but it's crossover porn that successfully manages to cater to thirty goddamn properties across four major companies, which is impressive. Sure, some have more time in the sun than others, but every title in that list is treated with respect and has its time in the spotlight.

...Except for Soul Calibur. And that one misstep hurts all the more because of how well the rest of the titles are treated. This is an RPG that gives Phoenix Wright several crucial story scenes, gives games like Captain Commando and Star Gladiator significant spots in the story, and then goes ahead and throws characters from franchises not actually listed anywhere about the game as major NPCs. And yet, somehow all that Soul Calibur gets is Natsu, the least story-relevant solo character in the entire game, who's so ill-handled that she's perhaps the only character without even a reason to be there. In fact, the game forgets about her several times.

It's just such a strange problem given how surprisingly solid the rest of the game is about it, especially since it could be so easily remedied by just giving her something to do. As it stands, if there's reason for a ninja to be saying or doing something it'll just be one of the other four ninjas, all of which have major recurring villains to fight against and so get spotlight anyway. Just have Nightmare turn up for her to fight, it's well within the game's abilities!

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Mar 11, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like Borderlands should just give in and make the meat of the game the stuff you do at max level like most other ARPGs. It would help with all the awful scaling problems. But I guess it's more narrative driven then something like Diablo, and the levels would probably be a lot harder to randomly generate.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BlueKingBar posted:

No see, that's the problem; if a game has a paper-thin and perfunctory story that still gives you enjoyable gameplay and variety, it's a good videogame story.

The problem with BL2, like well why not articulated, is that it is trying to be ~dramatic~ and ~serious~ and it falls flat because 1) the writer is inept 2) no-one gives a poo poo

Hence, it is a bad story, because it doesn't serve the purpose of making the game better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like Borderlands should just give in and make the meat of the game the stuff you do at max level like most other ARPGs. It would help with all the awful scaling problems. But I guess it's more narrative driven then something like Diablo, and the levels would probably be a lot harder to randomly generate.
That's actually a key point: Diablo 3 got poo poo on a lot for its garbage story intruding every three seconds, and to do boss and other runs for farming, you initially had to reset story progression manually every single time and skip through the same dumb cutscenes every single time, and then they added Adventure Mode which is literally "who loving cares about the story just do whatever wherever" mode. Now the game is a million times better. It does sound like Borderlands should have done that long ago too, but not every company can be Blizzard, I guess.