Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

spankmeister posted:

Bought one, but haven't opened it yet. :)

Mine gets delivered today, I'll report back tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Is dropping $300 AUD on a Hibiki 17 year old worth it? Or should I look into something else instead?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's good whisky but prices of Japanese whiskies are incredibly inflated right now. Your money will stretch a lot further with whisk(e)y from other countries.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Anyone tried Old Pulteney 17? Just ordered a bottle after I came across it in one of Ralfy's reviews.

Delicate, smooth and flowery. I like a bit of raunch so this one wasn't for me but can understand why someone would love it.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I've recently got into scotch and gin (only drank beer/wine before) and I'm thinking about filling glass bottles or at least the rest into klean kanteen bottles since I'm a hippie farmhand constantly on the move and live out of my backpack.

I know flasks have been around for ages, but just in case I'm missing something obvious: Is there going to be a huge difference in taste (metallic after-taste etc.) when storing liquor in stainless steel? I figured at least there is no lining like in a Sigg bottle. I'd rather not try it out and then having a funky rear end tasting 50 dollars worth of drink :/

Net access here is horrible, so my replies will be late. Thanks!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I only ever put cheap whiskey in flasks, but haven't noticed a significant difference. Flasks are a pain in the rear end unless you have an appropriate funnel.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely be using a wide mouth container, so that shouldn't be a problem. I prefer glass myself, but broken glass and lost nectar is no good.

Glad to hear that the flavor isn't ruined :)

edit: I won't be jumping into the $100 range anytime soon.

moflika fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 18, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

moflika posted:

I'd definitely be using a wide mouth container, so that shouldn't be a problem. I prefer glass myself, but broken glass and lost nectar is no good.

Glad to hear that the flavor isn't ruined :)

edit: I won't be jumping into the $100 range anytime soon.

Apparently pewter hip flasks are better for not making the whisky taste funky. I have two stainless steel ones which work Ok, if you drink the booze within a day or two, any longer than that and they start to get a bit metallicy.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Slash posted:

I have two stainless steel ones which work Ok, if you drink the booze within a day or two, any longer than that and they start to get a bit metallicy.
Flasks are for day trips only.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am doing a little internet homework on this, but could use some help. I've always liked Scotch and Irish Whiskey better than Bourbon, and am now getting into Scotches more. I'm building a small bottle collection and want some advice.

I've got a bottle of Laphroig that's everything it's supposed to be - really strong, peaty. I'm looking for something that's indicative of the far other end, a bit sweeter and smoother, probably a 12 year. Any recommendations for some of the more standard bearers for this type of drinking? Possibly a sherry or rum cask? I've been looking at some of the charts, but wanted some quick goon advice.

As well, I drink a fair amount of Green Spot, but other than Red Breast, anything in that range of the Irish whiskeys that could be recommended? Tullamore Phoenix any good?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Planet X posted:

I am doing a little internet homework on this, but could use some help. I've always liked Scotch and Irish Whiskey better than Bourbon, and am now getting into Scotches more. I'm building a small bottle collection and want some advice.

I've got a bottle of Laphroig that's everything it's supposed to be - really strong, peaty. I'm looking for something that's indicative of the far other end, a bit sweeter and smoother, probably a 12 year. Any recommendations for some of the more standard bearers for this type of drinking? Possibly a sherry or rum cask? I've been looking at some of the charts, but wanted some quick goon advice.

As well, I drink a fair amount of Green Spot, but other than Red Breast, anything in that range of the Irish whiskeys that could be recommended? Tullamore Phoenix any good?

Balvenie 12 doublewood is a good hit for the other end. Also Auchentoshan Classic.

As far as Irish Whiskeys, Yellow Spot is good too if you can get a good price

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Planet X posted:

Have a look at Teeling. I didn't care to much for their Single Malt, but both their Small Batch and Single Grain are very nice.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Keep in mind Laphroaig is actually one of the sweeter single malts around. It's just not particularly fruity.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I love his old pulteney 17.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

That Works posted:

Balvenie 12 doublewood is a good hit for the other end. Also Auchentoshan Classic.

As far as Irish Whiskeys, Yellow Spot is good too if you can get a good price

Thanks. I started with the Yellow Spot, but only got it coming back from Ireland duty free. I'm sticking with Green Spot stateside, but that's good advice. I loved the Yellow Spot.

BT I'll check out Teeling.

This guy Ralfy is really helpful, i'm starting to look at some of his stuff.

Thanks everyone, anything else, let me know.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

Slash posted:

Apparently pewter hip flasks are better for not making the whisky taste funky. I have two stainless steel ones which work Ok, if you drink the booze within a day or two, any longer than that and they start to get a bit metallicy.

Yeah, I'm kind of realizing how dumb it would be to have 500ml+ of whiskey end up tasting like metal. Looking at Glass bottles wraped in rubber like ones made by Lifefactory. Will probably be quite heavy, but whatever.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I'm flying to Ireland in a month, and am trying to figure out what to bring back that I can't get stateside. I've already earmarked two bottles of the Bushmills distillery reserve. Any suggestions? Looking in the $50-100 range.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I love my American bourbons and ryes, but I've ignored Canadian whiskies my whole life. Where should I start, in the middle-shelf range?

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Alberta Premium Dark Horse.

$32 CAD (so probably free in the US if you get it) for 750ml. Because the producer, Alberta Premium, makes ALL the bottom shelf whiskey everyone ignored it. That stuff is dynamite for the price. Bottom shelf price, mid-high tier flavor.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Alberta Distillers also does the 100% straight ryes everyone loves so much (Whistle Pig, Jefferson's). The baseline Alberta Premium is quite good for what it is / costs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Argyle posted:

I love my American bourbons and ryes, but I've ignored Canadian whiskies my whole life. Where should I start, in the middle-shelf range?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441478&userid=30468&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post453010432

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Please be extra canadian and drink Maple Crown Royal

Drink it in coke if you want a tasty drink and also diabetes

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

They hype died out from that, so it shouldn't be tough to find anymore. Prices here in Canada shot up to over $80 a bottle in some places but seem to have stabilized around $35-$40. Again, this is totslly worth the price too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Anyone tried the Jameson Gold Reserve?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

No_talent posted:

They hype died out from that, so it shouldn't be tough to find anymore. Prices here in Canada shot up to over $80 a bottle in some places but seem to have stabilized around $35-$40. Again, this is totslly worth the price too.

Last I read, their union went on strike, so it might still be a challenge.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 11, 2016

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Well thanks for the advice. When I went to the ski house a few weeks ago, I brought 2 (ones in the middle) bottles and D brought 2.

We essentially tasted from right to left. I'm no Scotch expert, but maybe this very basic assessment will be helpful to some of you:

Abelour 12 - woody and grassy
Laphroaig 10 - everyone knows this one for the peat, this was a hit, probably for how distinct it was
Balvenie 12 - I liked this one a lot, got it on suggestion here. Fruitier and sweeter
Lagavulin 16 - Everything above in one sip, but richer, much richer

It was nice because inadvertently, we ended up with, if I look at the charts right, a pretty wide range of scotch, which helped all of us figure out what we liked.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 11, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Fantastic lineup. I've had all four and they're all great. I actually have a bottle of the Abelour batch in the cabinet right now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah thats a nice trip through a lot of different ranges within scotches. Good set of bottles to have on hand to make everyone happy.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Planet X posted:

Well thanks for the advice. When I went to the ski house a few weeks ago, I brought 2 (ones in the middle) bottles and D brought 2.

We essentially tasted from right to left. I'm no Scotch expert, but maybe this very basic assessment will be helpful to some of you:

Laphroaig 10 - everyone knows this one for the peat, this was a hit, probably for how distinct it was
Balvenie 12 - I liked this one a lot, got it on suggestion here. Fruitier and sweeter

It was nice because inadvertently, we ended up with, if I look at the charts right, a pretty wide range of scotch, which helped all of us figure out what we liked.

Those are all great, especially as a range of character like that. You chose well!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Planet X posted:

Those tasting charts are a bit "meh" in my opinion.
Having said that, those 4 are all nice whiskies, but in Laphroaig and Lagavulin you have two distilleries half a mile away from each other who produce heavily peated drams. In Balvenie & Aberlour you have 2 distilleries 5 miles away from each other who are regarded as producing the classic 'Speyside' style - albeit the Aberlour will have more of a sherry cask thing going on.
If you get the chance, try one of the following as they are quite different from the ones you have already had.
Clynelish
Springbank
Glendronach (12 years or older)

My tip - If you are tasting a number of scotches, always leave the Islay malts until last. They are so pungent that you may well not be able to discern some of the flavours in the lighter styles.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

biglads posted:

Those tasting charts are a bit "meh" in my opinion.
Having said that, those 4 are all nice whiskies, but in Laphroaig and Lagavulin you have two distilleries half a mile away from each other who produce heavily peated drams. In Balvenie & Aberlour you have 2 distilleries 5 miles away from each other who are regarded as producing the classic 'Speyside' style - albeit the Aberlour will have more of a sherry cask thing going on.
If you get the chance, try one of the following as they are quite different from the ones you have already had.
Clynelish
Springbank
Glendronach (12 years or older)

My tip - If you are tasting a number of scotches, always leave the Islay malts until last. They are so pungent that you may well not be able to discern some of the flavours in the lighter styles.

Yes, thank you for this. With that said in my post, we didn't taste them all in one night. First night was the Albelour, Friday night. Saturday, my buddy hadn't had the Laphroiag, so he cracked that while I had the Balvenie. Everyone moved onto the Lagavulin later. I see what you're saying though.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Back in the old thread a few of us were raving about the first release of the Yamazaki Sherry Cask. I bought a few and I know that others did too.

Well, since Jim Murray got on the bus for this Whisky (years after Goons were on it), if you've got a bottle left you might want to think about selling it.

http://www.htfw.com/yamazaki-sherry-cask-2012?gclid=CKTZ6vazxcsCFRUTGwodU1YMBQ

http://www.kosherwineuk.com/suntory-yamazaki-sherry-cask-2013-p-4509.html?gclid=CMS-nv-zxcsCFclsGwodx-IM-w
:aaa:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

Back in the old thread a few of us were raving about the first release of the Yamazaki Sherry Cask. I bought a few and I know that others did too.

Well, since Jim Murray got on the bus for this Whisky (years after Goons were on it), if you've got a bottle left you might want to think about selling it.

http://www.htfw.com/yamazaki-sherry-cask-2012?gclid=CKTZ6vazxcsCFRUTGwodU1YMBQ

http://www.kosherwineuk.com/suntory-yamazaki-sherry-cask-2013-p-4509.html?gclid=CMS-nv-zxcsCFclsGwodx-IM-w
:aaa:

Great I still have about £ 1500 left in the bottle. :downs:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Great I still have about £ 1500 left in the bottle. :downs:

I think it cost about £75 new. Scary.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
With the Japanese whisky talk,

My brother lives in Tokyo and said he'd bring a bottle of something back for me.

Suggestions? What's the standard? Hibiki 12?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Japanese whisky is far too expensive for what you get and I won't be buying anytime soon

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Google Butt posted:

Japanese whisky is far too expensive for what you get and I won't be buying anytime soon

This is our lament. Two years ago Yamazaki 18 was US$100. I should have bought an entire case.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I understand it's a bit overpriced, and I am not a connoisseur. However, if I can get something at a good price, I wanted to take advantage of that.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Planet X posted:

I understand it's a bit overpriced, and I am not a connoisseur. However, if I can get something at a good price, I wanted to take advantage of that.

See if you can get a Yamazaki 12 or a Yoichi 10. Maybe they are reasonably priced in the domestic market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Night before last I shared most of a bottle of "old pulteney" 8 year old. Never seen it before and granted it was the end of a rather large night so anything would have tasted passable; but I was rather impressed.

What should I know about it?