Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delicious Meat
Feb 28, 2006

Violence is always the answer. No exceptions.

Photex posted:

I remember watching that live, just hearing the old school attitude that Nip had lots of loud WOOs after nearly every kill/round.

I found the more I go WOOO and GET SUM when solo queuing the better my team does.

Maybe being really positive helps..? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Between poor smoke performance, the one-way smokes people already mentioned, lack of molotovs, and poor map design (scrims on de_dust and de_aztec, :laffo:) there was a lot less room for super coordinated executions and skill at CS basically came down to reaction time

I mean we used to coordinate smokes on some things but it was nowhere near the level that the pros go to today. I think I knew maybe 2 set smokes per map back then

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Kumbamontu posted:

Between poor smoke performance, the one-way smokes people already mentioned, lack of molotovs, and poor map design (scrims on de_dust and de_aztec, :laffo:) there was a lot less room for super coordinated executions and skill at CS basically came down to reaction time

I mean we used to coordinate smokes on some things but it was nowhere near the level that the pros go to today. I think I knew maybe 2 set smokes per map back then

<insert wemadefox video here>

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Why isn't the Santorini showmatch in 80 minutes on HLTV? I had to go back to their news post about it from Monday to figure out when it was and where to see it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kumbamontu posted:

I don't recall a lot of actual organized stuff happening on poo poo maps like aztec/dust.

I ended up playing mostly, dust2, inferno (inferno was actually good!), mill, fire, vertigo a little, and uh probably something else.

I didn't know many "set" smokes, but I knew which walls you could throw over etc for flashes and smokes.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
OGL as in the league where it's a ladder and you challenge teams for their spot and such? I didn't play CS back then but that's a hell of a blast from the past.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Rumble in The Desert

SEASON ONE CHAMPS

>CK3

my defining CS moment

Anyone remember NHG?

That was like 15 years ago. My last remaining screenshot of that time. It also caused this huge controversy where I had to have [CK3]-Bullseye inspect my computer because they thought I was hacking because of how that screenshot looked. I was in the vents on Prodigy when the round ended and it had some weird clipping issues.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 10, 2016

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Jesus, I can't believe you were playing a meaningful competitive match on Prodigy even 15 years ago. Didn't the whole map only have 2 choke points?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

stranger danger posted:

OGL as in the league where it's a ladder and you challenge teams for their spot and such? I didn't play CS back then but that's a hell of a blast from the past.

yep

MF_James posted:

I don't recall a lot of actual organized stuff happening on poo poo maps like aztec/dust.

I ended up playing mostly, dust2, inferno (inferno was actually good!), mill, fire, vertigo a little, and uh probably something else.

I didn't know many "set" smokes, but I knew which walls you could throw over etc for flashes and smokes.

I more meant scrims in IRC in the early days as well as lesser leagues like OGL and PG. I mean poo poo, PG had an entire bracket dedicated to 2v2 matches, and also included cs_ maps in the rotation. I played a number of matches on assault, 747, and loving estate of all things. Original dust was most certainly in the rotation, as was Aztec. This was before mill & fire even existed. I'm 99% sure CAL also had Aztec in rotation but can't remember for certain.

This just reminded me, though: what happened to prodigy?

Brilladelphia
Jun 26, 2012
Here's my defining moment, officially better than mouz Spiidi doing missions on Casual Tulip yesterday, I should go pro :agesilaus:

It was actually him and I'm surprised at how underwhelming watching him play was, I expected pros to be nutty to watch in person but he didn't stand out as anything special

fakeedit: ^^ 2000 was a magical time for CS

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Brilladelphia posted:

Here's my defining moment, officially better than mouz Spiidi doing missions on Casual Tulip yesterday, I should go pro :agesilaus:

It was actually him and I'm surprised at how underwhelming watching him play was, I expected pros to be nutty to watch in person but he didn't stand out as anything special

fakeedit: ^^ 2000 was a magical time for CS

No one rises above the sea of poo poo in casual matches.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kumbamontu posted:

yep

I more meant scrims in IRC in the early days as well as lesser leagues like OGL and PG. I mean poo poo, PG had an entire bracket dedicated to 2v2 matches, and also included cs_ maps in the rotation. I played a number of matches on assault, 747, and loving estate of all things. Original dust was most certainly in the rotation, as was Aztec. This was before mill & fire even existed. I'm 99% sure CAL also had Aztec in rotation but can't remember for certain.

This just reminded me, though: what happened to prodigy?

Never did OGL and PG, only did CALo-m and then LANs. I don't recall aztec in the rotation, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, it's highly likely I've forgotten a lot of stuff from 12-15 years ago.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

peanut- posted:

Jesus, I can't believe you were playing a meaningful competitive match on Prodigy even 15 years ago. Didn't the whole map only have 2 choke points?

I actually unironically enjoyed playing prodigy when it was still in the CAL rotation back in like 2002, but I can't remember planting the bomb at B (I think it was B; the site that wasn't literally in CT spawn) and as I remember it that entire portion of the map was pretty much useless. Objectively, it's a terrible map. It was removed from the CAL rotation somewhere between 2002 and 2003. I also liked playing aztec competitively. My favorite match maps back then were aztec, nuke, and fire. My least favorite were inferno and train. This is why I'm bad at this game, to this day (we were a middle of the pack cal-m team, back when the only levels were -o, -im, -m, and -invite)

Here was the summer 2003 CAL map rotation:

aztec
train
nuke
clan1_mill
dust2
inferno
fire
cbble

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Garfu posted:

Anyone remember NHG?

That was like 15 years ago. My last remaining screenshot of that time. It also caused this huge controversy where I had to have [CK3]-Bullseye inspect my computer because they thought I was hacking because of how that screenshot looked. I was in the vents on Prodigy when the round ended and it had some weird clipping issues.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and look at all the screenshots I've ever taken over the years, like a mother going through old scrapbooks.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i think the netgraph is the best part of that screenshot

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
One day I'll go through all of the hard drives at my parents house and find that folder of hundreds of match screenshots from those days.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dongicus posted:

He is tho?????

idg this thread sometimes jfc

The gbs contrarian school of comedy and Games forum aids mixed together

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Garfu posted:

One day I'll go through all of the hard drives at my parents house and find that folder of hundreds of match screenshots from those days.

Somewhere on a warehouse theres a 4gb hard drive full of young arf's 1.6 acreenshots

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ozmiander posted:

No one rises above the sea of poo poo in casual matches.

we're all just turds in a sea of bullshit

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Molotovs are great, more people should use them

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Aztec was certainly in more than one season of CAL. I think dust even made an appearance and the general consensus was that it was awful.

I remember when de_cpl_fire made its debut in CAL, and my team was set to take on the best team in CAL-IM at the time (might have team "I don't care" or "it doesn't matter", I can't quite remember) and I was my team's resident poo poo-talker on the CAL forums, which were absolutely brutal to every member, and pretty much the entirety of the forum said that we were going to get dominated by our opponents.

We had discovered through hours of practice that as CT while watching mid and timing it just right, if you had a rifle you could spam through mid and hit the T's as they were making their way from spawn to the main hallway. Our guy pLaF would do this every round he had an M4 and by the time the T's would get to any site, most of them had already been hurt badly. Having started on CT, we ruled that half and broke their spirit as they ended up talking more poo poo to us in global chat repeatedly while our only responses would be "mm2", which just infuriated them even more.

When all was said and done, I believe we brutalized them with a scoreline of 23-7 (yes, this was before the change to best of 30). Needless to say that demos and screenshots were requested and they soon disbanded.

Ahhhh, memories.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

my finest memory is watching lp|kane cry at a LAN after they got one and done'd by a PUG which included me and a few randoms.

edit: http://elite-pimps.com/match_history.php?view_match=80

rekt

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
My first exposure to CS was on the original Xbox and I only played Office and Miami :smuggo:

Was Miami ever a thing? I just remember I liked playing in offices.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

qhat posted:

Molotovs are great, more people should use them

I've been playing a lot of Inferno and Mirage lately. It boggles my mind when I'm the only one buying mollies.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 11, 2016

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Sick screenie of me playing cs_747 back in the day:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fennesz posted:

I've been playing a lot of Inferno and Mirage lately. It boggles my mind when I'm the only one buying mollies.

I am/was the guy who only ever buys he + smoke + 2 flashes

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

LG's movement might be the best in the world, they dodge a lot of shots and make a lot of plays off of it. It's reminds me of top tier JW when he would be pretty unpredictable with his movement and angles.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Guess I had the wrong button clicked. Missing out on a 65 cent case sale. Thanks Obama.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Ahhhh, memories.

I miss the CAL forums. Being an internet toughguy and demolishing the match predictions of butthurt nerds who didn't make playoffs was the sad sad highlight of being 19 for me.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

yanthrax posted:

I miss the CAL forums. Being an internet toughguy and demolishing the match predictions of butthurt nerds who didn't make playoffs was the sad sad highlight of being 19 for me.

Now you get to do the same thing, but on the Something Awful forums

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
my clan played 8v8 twl leagues on cs:source.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I played in a LAN cafe pre 1.6, and I remember the most frequent maps we played were cs_mansion and the version of cs_siege that had the APC you could drive.

EDIT: Also militia for some reason.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

one of these big na teams need to cut a couple of nerds who have been in the scene for 10 years and accomplished nothing and pick up witmer/roca

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 11, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Google Butt posted:

one of these big na teams need to cut a couple of these nerds who have been in the scene for 10 years and accomplished n0thing and pick up witmer/roca

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

http://oddshot.tv/shot/esl-csgo-2016031141450992 o.O

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Smart, why not burn the rest of the clip on a likely quad peek

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i couldplay for team cloud 9

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

oh word?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Up Circle posted:

i couldplay for team cloud 9

Your comms are as good as Skas so you'd fit right in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008