Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

It's not a joke when people take it at face value, and laws of behavioralism dictate that there's no difference between people saying this stuff in earnest and "trolls".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Remember in Ghostbusters when a doctor drugged a possessed woman? Good stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scroto Baggins posted:

Remember in Ghostbusters when a doctor drugged a possessed woman? Good stuff.

You mean that scene in Ghostbusters when a doctor turned up for a date with a woman and just coincidentally happened to have medical grade roofies with him? I do remember that!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 11, 2016

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You mean that scene in Ghostbusters when a doctor turned up for a date with a woman and just coincidentally happened to have medical grade roofies with him? I do remember that!

I based my entire dating scope on that scene. My wife and I wouldn't be together if [REDACTED]

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 11, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kin posted:

For me, what's putting me off slightly is that the proton packs and equipment all seem somewhat weightless in those trailers. Maybe there'll be a line about them being some new age lightweight material but i think i remember the originals having some industrial level 'heft' in them. Not that the original guys were in shape or anything like that but there was a level of physical acting that seemed almost janitorial in a sense. These guys were essentially lugging hugeass vacuum cleaners around on their backs and it looked and sounded like effort. I wouldn't be surprised if that was supposed to be the point. They're ghost janitors, cleaning up the spooky poo poo that no-one else wants to deal with.

From the trailer i dont get that, i see people with toys. Which seems to be reinforced by the new team not seeming like they'd be physically strong enough to carry around equipment of the same 'heft' as the original film. Especially with stuff like that slapstick crowdsurfing scene.

The original uniforms/equipment was supposed to remind people of exterminators. Jumpsuits, big heavy backpacks, random tubes everywhere. Everything bought for cheap at an army surplus store. The new ones look like Halloween costumes or a boy band's outfit for a music video.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Huh. Never out two and two together before.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So mr. Feig has called his cast "gifable" or "giffiest".

I think that sums up the apparent issues with the movie in one awful word.

http://collider.com/ghostbusters-trailer-paul-feig-ghosts-melissa-mccarthy/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Ghostbusters I'd gently caress?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Dude. We get it, you don't care for this movie. You've said your piece, now don't think it's time for the people who actually want to see the film discuss it?

On topic: Do those computer screens that say Dana Barett on them mean we can still have hope for a possible Signoruney Waver/ Rick Moranis cameo?

You truly are the most retarded of clowns

Groovelord Neato posted:

retarded_clown taint reapin all y'all

True

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Huh.
I'd always just thought he'd gone and got some to give her. I guess it is sort of weird that he'd have them with him. Puts that scene in a whole different perspective.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Huh.
I'd always just thought he'd gone and got some to give her. I guess it is sort of weird that he'd have them with him. Puts that scene in a whole different perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV9lSoKv1qA

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Zombie taxi driver or bust.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SirDrone posted:

Zombie taxi driver or bust.

Zombie Uber Driver

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

maybe it was his own recreational thorazine.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Thorazine can't really be used as a date rape drug. Dunno why Venkman is toting it around though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thorazuul.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Thorazine can't really be used as a date rape drug. Dunno why Venkman is toting it around though.

And even if it could, Venkman indicated it took an exceptionally large amount to pacify Dana. Even if he were planning to use it for date rape there's no reason he would carry so much. I bet he had some in his car or something that he pilfered from the psych lab after he got fired.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If Venkman wanted to get laid so badly that he was willing to rape Dana, why didn't he just have sex with her when she was acting all aggressive?

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

In the novelization isn't it the case that Venkman looked through Dana's apartment for something to give her because he assumed she owned valium or something?

I guess if it turned out she happened to have thorazine kits at home that would be equally weird. But maybe between her visit to the firehouse and zuul taking over she visited a real psychiatrist who prescribed home injections of thorazine to help her deal with seeing demon dogs in her fridge?

Edit: Hmm I dunno I looked at one of the books and it doesn't mention anything like that. Not sure where I got that idea.

xezton fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 11, 2016

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

That's an odd thing to zero in on. The article makes the film sound fun. Lots of science and ghost-catching hardware.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Bizarre rituals intended to bring about the end of the patriarchy, and now it looks like it may actually happen!

...so be good, for goodness sake.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

I'm super excited for this movie and all, and I think it's neat that the cast is all female.

But I really don't get this push by some media to treat the movie like it's some sort of super powerful artistic anti-male statement.

Probably the same reason so many articles now-a-days still use numbered lists for "news". Whatever gets them clicks, I guess?

Edit: VVVV - I get the point of the post, I'm just commenting on the article itself.

Gun dick licking is directly analogous to Grab your stick! HOLDIN'! Heat'em up! SMOKIN'! Make'em hard! READY! so I'm happy that's in.

xezton fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 11, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the joke in posting that is she's licking a dick.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

the joke in posting that is she's licking a dick.

The reference is that she doesn't need a man's dick since she has plenty pseudo-dicks of her own. It's a castration metaphor.

I'm kidding. OR AM I???? WHOOOooOOOOoooOO!!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The joke is that Kate McKinnon, a lesbian, has been forced to simulate sucking a dick in name of profit, and people call it progressive.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

The joke is that Kate McKinnon, a lesbian, has been forced to simulate sucking a dick in name of profit, and people call it progressive.

She's playing a character, its called acting. Actors usually act for profit, that's how things work in Hollywood. I'm sorry to have to be the one to inform you of this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

She's playing a character, its called acting. Actors usually act for profit, that's how things work in Hollywood. I'm sorry to have to be the one to inform you of this.

How progressive!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

How progressive!

So you're saying its impossible for a movie to be progressive if a lesbian is in it and there's an oral sex joke? Declaring a movie progressive or not based on a single joke is ridiculous.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can't say it's smashing the patriarchy and then use the picture of her licking a phallic symbol. apart from the racist stuff that was probably the worst bit of the trailer.

steinrokkan posted:

I find it hilarious when a movie basically gives up on any attempts to use its clout to push forward social issues, and instead opts for really low brow, boiler plate masculine humour, yet retards still proclaim it a triumph in feminist cinema.

yeah

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I find it hilarious when a movie basically gives up on any attempts to use its clout to push forward social issues, and instead opts for really low brow, boiler plate masculine humour, yet retards still proclaim it a triumph in feminist cinema.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

The point is that you have no idea what the movie is attempting, because you haven't seen it yet. You're being just as big of an idiot as people who are declaring it a triumph of feminism, because neither one of you have seen the movie.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I find it hilarious when people proclaim it as any sort of activist triumph to begin with. It's a god drat Ghostbusters movie, not a Bernie Sanders rally.

Basebf555 posted:

The point is that you have no idea what the movie is attempting, because you haven't seen it yet. You're being just as big of an idiot as people who are declaring it a triumph of feminism, because neither one of you have seen the movie.

For once I don't feel like anyone is bashing the movie here so much as they're bashing the idiot who put together that article.

xezton fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 11, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

xezton posted:

For once I don't feel like anyone is bashing the movie here so much as they're bashing the idiot who put together that article.

I was responding to one specific post by a specific person, not talking about the thread in general.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I was responding to one specific post by a specific person, not talking about the thread in general.

I was also responding to the picture they chose to illustrate that article :ssh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tfw louis is in the friend zone in the original movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

I was also responding to the picture they chose to illustrate that article :ssh:

Nah, not really. You were using that picture being posted as an opportunity to get on your soapbox again, but its cool I'll drop it if you will.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This is going to be a super-powerful female empowerment movie.

Especially the inevitable scenes where they're falling over each other to be near Hemsworth. Including the also inevitable scene where is McKinnon is like "I'm a lesbeen and he still gets my motor running!". Congrats femailures!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

please don't use the retard word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

please don't use the retard word

What, retard?

• Locked thread