Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I hate buying wine at restaurants because I'm cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

fxcuisine.com has been updated :stare: :staredog:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I hate buying wine at restaurants because I'm cheap.

That's why I only order cocktails.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

regional blocking.

drat same here.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Discendo Vox posted:

regional blocking.

The Maestro posted:

drat same here.

It worked for me at my job through the Canadian proxy I'm required to use. At home, directly from the US, I'm also getting regional blocking.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Force de Fappe posted:

woah.

he said in a comment there's a new kitchen and he'll be posting more in future.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So what do you guys think about tipping?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

So what do you guys think about tipping?

I think it's great. In fact, I think circumcision should be mandatory.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

:golfclap:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

remind me not to eat any pork rinds you serve.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

My bread failed to get a second rise and I decided after 45 min of waiting for the yeast to show some sign of life I'd just try baking it anyways. Any ideas on what to do with super dense flatbread? :smithicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwfCuv-OedU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Where is that because I want to smash it to pieces with a hammer.

Edit: I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Bay Area.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Grove, in Beverly Hills

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I look forward to hearing about an increase in lead poisoning there

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Soylent is The Worst.

Its creator is late-stage Howard Hughes, without the skills or business acumen. Absolutely peak Valley. Enjoy this blog post where he tries to live like a Dune character:

quote:

Hygiene
I awake the morning of the challenge and throw off my cotton sheets with disgust. From this moment on every drop counts. I brush my teeth without water and put on dry deodorant. Relieving myself in the toilet is not an option. For a moment I consider following Clinton’s advice: “if it’s yellow let it mellow”, but decide to go full Bukowski instead: “sometimes you just have to piss in the sink”. Could we engineer more efficient kidneys?

For number two I had to plan in advance. Inadequate sanitation is an enormous quality of life problem globally. The most popular toilet in the world is no toilet at all as 4 in 10 people in the world defecate in the open. Flush toilets use enormous quantities of water so I needed a way to make it unnecessary.

Feces are almost entirely deceased gut bacteria and water. I massacred my gut bacteria the day before by consuming a DIY Soylent version with no fiber and taking 500mg of Rifaximin, an antibiotic with poor bioavailability, meaning it stays in your gut and kills bacteria. Soylent’s microbiome consultant advised that this is a terrible idea so I do not recommend it. However, it worked. Throughout the challenge I did not defecate.

In lieu of showering I sprayed myself with AOBiome’s custom skin bacteria blend. Body odor is caused by the emissions of proliferating skin bacteria, as unique as a fingerprint. The Nitrosomonas eutropha taking over my skin now metabolizes ammonia into odorless nitrite and nitric oxide. Success! I wish I had a strain that excreted lipases, as my hair was still greasy.

Direct water usage: 0L

Virtual water usage: 0L

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

LOL wow

But the custom skin bacteria sounds like it might be interesting... Could we basically replace perfumes with bacterial colonies bred to produce certain smells? Kind of neat, at least as a sci-fi concept.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
While I'm punching down, let me also punch up- the FXcuisine guy seems more than a little crazy in his fetishization of traditional/"slow" food, particularly when he uses it to indirectly attack, say, health regulations. More generally, both him and Soylent Man feel like they're typing their posts singlehandedly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Half expected an open palm slamming of a vhs in that quote, Discendo Vox

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Poe's Law strikes again.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Force de Fappe posted:

what is this I've never heard of it?? What is the relevance

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

taqueso posted:

Poe's Law strikes again.

wait, so fxcuisine is a joke? Excellent! It's played so straight I couldn't tell!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

THE MACHO MAN posted:

what is this I've never heard of it?? What is the relevance

It's a pretty good European home-kitchen food blog with a lot of Italian cuisine and some interesting road trips. The author stopped posting several years ago with no explanation. Now he's posting again.

Have a browse through the old articles

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Discendo Vox posted:

wait, so fxcuisine is a joke? Excellent! It's played so straight I couldn't tell!

Sorry, was referring to the soylent guy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

taqueso posted:

Sorry, was referring to the soylent guy.

oh. so, it's real.:smith: For the record, so is soylent guy.

It's not real speck (let me tell you how to pronounce it, prole) unless it's aged in the open air above an active kitchen in the wooden rafters of an ancient chalet under conditions that would give an EU health inspector (who hates slow food, btw) a heart attack. The waiting list for this hole in the wall you've never heard of is so exclusive. You'd know the difference if you saw it, but you're probably used to lovely industrially processed artisan meats protected under a PGI. That's not good enough. I would post more pictures, but I'm trying to clean the ejaculate from my black backdrops.

edit: now I'm getting soylent banner ads. The struggle is real.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 12, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Is it just me, or have strawberries sucked this year?

I'm just now starting to get Florida berries instead of California, but I don't feel like the CA berries ever peaked... they were like early unripe ones, but all season.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm just now starting to get Florida berries instead of California, but I don't feel like the CA berries ever peaked... they were like early unripe ones, but all season.

Did you mean to post this in March or did you just have a tab open for eight months that you forgot about?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Heh? They start picking California strawberries in mid January, and they peak in like late February. And then we start getting the Florida berries in mid-March.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Until recently I lived in Florida and 90% of strawberries have been trash for years.

I feel there's a downward trend in the quality of a lot "ordinary" produce even as heirloom/rare varietals of fruits and veggies become more available and delicious.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Idk, I've had like 5 boxes of the most fragrant, sweet and flavorful strawberries in ages. And they're cheap too!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Half flats of strawberries were $22 at the farmers market yesterday.

Basically gently caress Las Vegas.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I always thought strawberries were in season in mid to late spring. Huh.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If they're from California I thought that too much water made strawberries tasteless. With the heavy rains we've had all season so far maybe that makes sense.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have never gotten into just eating fruit. Vegetables, sure all the time, but fruits have always been a "cooked into desserts" thing to me. Dried fruits are an exception, but even then I never think to buy them unless I walk past them in a store.

I really really hate the sensation of being sticky, so maybe that is it. Also really love pies, tarts, and the like.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bongwizzard posted:

I have never gotten into just eating fruit. Vegetables, sure all the time, but fruits have always been a "cooked into desserts" thing to me. Dried fruits are an exception, but even then I never think to buy them unless I walk past them in a store.

I really really hate the sensation of being sticky, so maybe that is it. Also really love pies, tarts, and the like.

I eat way too many berries. Seriously, I will get sick from berries if you let me. I have berry bushes in my backyard, and it's the first time in my life I've ever said to myself "ok I think I've had enough berries" and stopped eating berries

Here's one you'd like bongwizzard:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Chemmy posted:

If they're from California I thought that too much water made strawberries tasteless. With the heavy rains we've had all season so far maybe that makes sense.

They're all grown in greenhouses anyway so that doesn't matter.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Croatoan posted:

I always thought strawberries were in season in mid to late spring. Huh.

Strawberry season in the Midwest was always May through July for Everbearing varieties, The ones with the best flavor were Juneberries though, and they only bore for 2-3 weeks in June. I imagine in the twenty years since I worked a strawberry field they've phased those out for more productive plants.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They're all grown in greenhouses anyway so that doesn't matter.

Are they? When I drive through Watsonville they all look like they're there outside.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

That is like a thousandfold more appealing to me. But I am also a fiend for dairy, and you just know there is some custard in that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

That is like a thousandfold more appealing to me. But I am also a fiend for dairy, and you just know there is some custard in that thing.

Same. I also hate being sticky.