Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bobkatt013 posted:

I finally watched the Great Dictator. I can not believe how amazing it looks and sound. What a majestic piece of cinema.
The Great Dictator started filming in September of 1939 and was released in October of 1940.

In 1952 he went to London for the premier of Limelight (1952) and was subsequently denied re-entry into the US. Because of suspicions about his political views.

This is one of the handful of essential Hollywood stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The mystery film shown in a clip in their Wexner talk is apparently Dersu Uzula according to Criterion Forum.

If they got Ran from StudioCanal/Lionsgate they could literally release a complete Kurosawa set. Dreams is coming via a Warner license and Rhapsody in August is likely since it's MGM.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For the love of god Criterion please pleaaaasssseeee restore Dersu Uzala properly.

That film is just too pretty for the condition it is in.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

For the love of god Criterion please pleaaaasssseeee restore Dersu Uzala properly.

That film is just too pretty for the condition it is in.

It was shot in 65mm on Soviet film stock, so the odds aren't exactly in the film's favor... but considering the miracles Criterion worked on The Apu Trilogy and A Hard Day's Night, anything is possible.

I'd expect any restoration to be a collaboration between Criterion/Janus, Mosfilm, and Kadokawa (Japanese rights).

(By the way, Criterion definitely has Blood Simple since Janus Films is now listed as the current US distributor. And at least one upcoming screening is apparently the original cut)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait A Hard Day's Night was in bad condition too? I was really impressed with how good the blu-ray looked, but I also hadn't seen the movie in over a decade so a fresh comparison to the older DVD release wasn't really in my mind.

Oh well, it looked amazing and hopefully Dersu Uzala will as well. That original Blood Simple cut is curious too.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
IIRC "A Hard Day's Night" had a lot of problems with the sound elements. The film was remixed several times over the years, and Criterion worked really hard to track down original sound elements in order to make the film sound like it used to.

"Dersu Uzala" I would love to see in better condition. I've seen it on LaserDisc and the crappy letterboxed DVD, but prints of it are very hard to come by apparently, even though it got relatively wide distribution in the US.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Robert Denby posted:

IIRC "A Hard Day's Night" had a lot of problems with the sound elements. The film was remixed several times over the years, and Criterion worked really hard to track down original sound elements in order to make the film sound like it used to.

"Dersu Uzala" I would love to see in better condition. I've seen it on LaserDisc and the crappy letterboxed DVD, but prints of it are very hard to come by apparently, even though it got relatively wide distribution in the US.

The soundtrack has been a mess since it was originally released.

The 1981 re-release used the US soundtrack, which was overmodulated and had sloppy dubs of album mixes of songs dropped in (regardless if they muted sound effects or dialogue). This was re-used for the 1996 restoration with a bit of tweaking. The Miramax re-release initially utilized a beautifully restored master created from an original British print track, but then they had it artificially remixed to 5.1 (yes, it's pretty awful). To make things worse, it's hinted that even the original British mix was modified from what Richard Lester intended, particularly having the opening credits having only music heard instead of a mix of the music and screams.

They ended up using a combination of the British mono mix from an original print, the 4-track masters for the songs and underscore, and surviving music/effects track reels. If that wasn't enough for reconstructing the original mono, they had Giles Martin supervise the stereo and 5.1 remixes. On top of all that, they consulted with Richard Lester to get everything right. Even down to the original 1.75:1 aspect ratio. It's one of the few times where they truthfully restored a movie to a state that's better than it originally was.

I'd love to see Criterion get the chance to do the same with Help! especially since it's the only one of the Beatles films not to get the 4K treatment (Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be were even scanned in 4K).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Egbert Souse posted:

The mystery film shown in a clip in their Wexner talk is apparently Dersu Uzula according to Criterion Forum.

:gizz: Pleeeease, it's all I want in life.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Going back to The Great Dictator for a moment, I have a question about it.

So apparently the barber character that Chaplin plays isn't supposed to be the Tramp, at least according to some people. Is the joke supposed to be that Chaplin isn't playing the Tramp in the same way that he isn't playing Hitler?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Raxivace posted:

Going back to The Great Dictator for a moment, I have a question about it.

So apparently the barber character that Chaplin plays isn't supposed to be the Tramp, at least according to some people. Is the joke supposed to be that Chaplin isn't playing the Tramp in the same way that he isn't playing Hitler?

He said that he would never play the tramp in a sound film.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

He said that he would never play the tramp in a sound film.
Modern Times seems to call that into question. The Tramp doesn't speak in it, but there's spoken dialogue in brief parts of the film.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Raxivace posted:

Modern Times seems to call that into question. The Tramp doesn't speak in it, but there's spoken dialogue in brief parts of the film.

He claimed that the spoken parts of that confirmed his belief that the tramp would not work in talkies

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I was going to reconstruct The Kid in its 1921 version (for my own use) since Criterion added the deleted scenes and original intertitles/credits as a supplement. Not a big undertaking since all it literally takes is switching out the credits/intertitles (which I was going to clean up in Photoshop) and dropping in the three deleted scenes. Slow down to 20fps and re-sync the score, that's it.

Now I see why Chaplin cut the scenes. They grind the movie to a halt. And you get shots like these:

So, this is probably one of the rare times when a director was right to go back and fiddle with their work.

(The Gold Rush, though, is infinitely superior in its original 1925 version over the 1942 narrated version)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 4, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion is going to start releasing in the UK

First wave will be Speedy, It Happened One Night, Polanski's Macbeth, Grey Gardens, and Tootsie in April.

Seems like it'll be mostly Janus Films and Sony/Columbia properties.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anyone have any issues with their orders from that flash sale? I received shipping info and a tracking number but it's been stalled at a facility in Kentucky and so far I'm out $50. Called USPS, who were incredibly unhelpful, and emailed the Criterion help email but that was last week and still no response. Is there some other contact I can use?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone have any issues with their orders from that flash sale? I received shipping info and a tracking number but it's been stalled at a facility in Kentucky and so far I'm out $50. Called USPS, who were incredibly unhelpful, and emailed the Criterion help email but that was last week and still no response. Is there some other contact I can use?

I'd just keep at em, I've had problems with flash sale orders with em before (probably because they get so swamped) but they've always straightened stuff out and sent me a $10 gift certificate for the trouble so I got no complaints.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do Criterion do re-prints for older releases? I really want to pick up the Zatoichi collection but it seems like Ebay is the only option available if I want to get it at a reasonable price.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like the Zatoichi and BBS sets aren't going OOP after all. They're between pressings according to an email customers got after the flash sale. They oversold the sets, but note that the next pressing is coming in a few months.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, I didn't realize they had a flash sale recently. That's good news!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My order from the flash sale took about a week longer than it should have, but I eventually got an email apologizing for the delay and my movies arrived a few days ago.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I contacted them the other day and they labeled the original shipment as lost and sent a replacement free of charge. Prompt reply, great service.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For my own part I've been working through my sale order, finishing up about half of the Tati set and Yi Yi. I was pretty much floored by Yi Yi, that movie rocked.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Speaking of Tati I watched Playtime for the first time last weekend and wow that movie is amazing! I turned off all the subtitles and just watched it as is--I don't speak French but he made the movie with very little dialog and an intent that anyone could watch. It's really cool and I don't even know how to describe it. Not really a 'movie' in the traditional sense with conflict, plot, etc... more of a meditation on modern life. Some really hilarious moments in it too!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

Speaking of Tati I watched Playtime for the first time last weekend and wow that movie is amazing! I turned off all the subtitles and just watched it as is--I don't speak French but he made the movie with very little dialog and an intent that anyone could watch. It's really cool and I don't even know how to describe it. Not really a 'movie' in the traditional sense with conflict, plot, etc... more of a meditation on modern life. Some really hilarious moments in it too!

I think my favorite was when the security guy is smoking a cigarette while his boss is walking down a long hallway towards him, and he keeps peeking out to see how much longer he has to smoke. Turns out the hallway is incredibly long and he basically sucks down the whole cigarette before the guy can get there.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Haha yep, I loved the people moving glass and dancing with the music too. And the whole restaurant scene at the end is just comic genius.

edit: Are all of Tati's films in a similar funny style as Playtime? I really need to get the box set if so.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Haha yep, I loved the people moving glass and dancing with the music too. And the whole restaurant scene at the end is just comic genius.

edit: Are all of Tati's films in a similar funny style as Playtime? I really need to get the box set if so.

Play Time is quite different, but Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle are terrific as well. I think Holiday is one of the funniest movies I've seen.

The shorts are good, too. I really think Criterion's Tati set is the best thing they've ever released, at least until they get the rights to Napoleon or Greed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

From what I've read(Playtime is the only Tati I've seen so far), Playtime is the only film Tati did where he was able to construct this entire world to "play" in. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he got the title from. All of the expansive sets were built specifically for the movie, so he was able to construct the multilayered jokes with more control and timing than ever before. The sets also have a much different look than the rest of his work, at least so I've heard.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I saw Playtime in a film class and the rest of the class didn't like it because they are uncultured swine.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

they are significantly less ambitious

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Radio Spiricom posted:

they are significantly less ambitious

That's kind of unfair, given that Playtime is one of the most ambitious single-vision films ever made and Tati started out basically as just a stage mime.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Basebf555 posted:

From what I've read(Playtime is the only Tati I've seen so far), Playtime is the only film Tati did where he was able to construct this entire world to "play" in. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he got the title from. All of the expansive sets were built specifically for the movie, so he was able to construct the multilayered jokes with more control and timing than ever before. The sets also have a much different look than the rest of his work, at least so I've heard.
It's patently unjust that this would be the film that led to Tati's bankruptcy after the successes of M. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle. Not at all unexpected, but still unjust.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Trafic ownz bonez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUCJK877J5Y

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Just found this great clip I had never seen. That shot from Mon Oncle with the long hose in the background and the smoke blowing is so Lynchian, you can clearly see the influence. An Eraserhead/Playtime double feature would be a grand idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW0bZBXJFZU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently, when Tati went to LA when Mon Oncle was up for an Oscar, he went to visit all his silent comedy idols.

Also, this would have been an awesome movie:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Le Amiche
La Chienne
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
Fantastic Planet
Clouds of Sils Maria
Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

june releases are here comes mr jordan, le amiche, la chienne, fantastic planet, dr strangelove, clouds of sils maria

https://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dr. Strangelove and Fantastic Planet for June, yaaaaas.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

very excited for la chienne, thats one of the best renoirs plus it has a restoration of his first film, on purge bebe

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is Criterion just done with doing commentary tracks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Hell yes Fantastic Planet. Cannot wait!!