Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Echophonic posted:

I think when the Devil wants something to be on fire, it's drat well going to be on fire.
Specifically/especially "Gods lamplighter".

Lucifers task during Creation was to create/ignite the stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Echophonic posted:

I think when the Devil wants something to be on fire, it's drat well going to be on fire.

FRINGE posted:

I'm pretty sure he also has a lighter.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm pretty sure he also has a lighter.
Yeah but I bet his works better than yours. :colbert:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

FRINGE posted:

My brain processed that as Gods gaslighter, which is both hilarious and probably accurate in some way.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

My brain processed that as Gods gaslighter, which is both hilarious and probably accurate in some way.
Well if this lasts a few seasons and sticks at all to the major themes of the comic* we'll see! :v:

*probably not

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
The best part was when Amenadiel and Luci were talking about how fat John was.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Titan posted:

The best part was when Amenadiel and Luci were talking about how fat John was.

It felt a bit fake, possibly because it was intended to be with amenadiel trying to act like Lucifers friend again. But it was interesting in seeing two immortal beings discussing historical accuracy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that it was set up to be a moment that reminds us that Amenadiel and Lucifer are not that different. They are basically coworkers who had a professional falling out. Amenadiel doesn't question God's plan, so Lucifer being condemned to hell is something he takes for granted as "just", but he's been doing a big part of Luci's job since Luci left, so he knows that it sucks balls. Amenadiel views himself as different from Lucifer, which is why he's been scheming with Maz to put Lucifer back in his place, but in this episode eh starts to see that he isn't really that different. Them genuinely joking around is part of that, I think. Along with him realizing that his motives in trying to control Lucifer and get him back to hell aren't purely loyalty to the divine plan, but also selfish in the same way the Lucifer is selfish.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I really, really wanted them to flap majestically in this scene, even if it would screw with the rest of the narrative vis a vis his powers, because drat

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

I really, really wanted them to flap majestically in this scene, even if it would screw with the rest of the narrative vis a vis his powers, because drat

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about his powers poo poo. Where's the fun in angelic divine powers being quantifiable all the time?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was kind of hoping Amenadiel would mention how working with Lucifer was fun or something and they'd reconnect a bit

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ShakeZula posted:

Interesting that while Lucifer's charm powers don't work on Chloe, Amenadiel's seemingly do. Kind of undermines any theory that she's part angel or whatever.
I don't think that was powers, she just thought he was charming.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It kinda says a lot for the show that the character is complex enough to have something like this be questioned.
Or you're reading more into it than is actually there.

zoux posted:

I did think it pretty weak that a little fiber optic light can mimic Holy Divinity well enough to dupe two Angels of the Lord.

odiv posted:

He does literally say that only the owner would know the difference.
Nothing about that made any sense. Seeing the actual wings obviously had a profound effect on the guy who had them in his house, and the actual props looked different as well. The ones at the auction looked kind of poo poo, really, and it made no sense that everyone there was so impressed by them. If they'd been real then you could say the actual appearance wasn't relevant because the awe was because of their divine aura or whatever, but if they're fakes then everyone in that room (including the cop who definitely thought they were fake and two angels who should have known better) was super impressed by some fake-looking wings.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Or you're reading more into it than is actually there.

Nothing about that made any sense. Seeing the actual wings obviously had a profound effect on the guy who had them in his house, and the actual props looked different as well. The ones at the auction looked kind of poo poo, really, and it made no sense that everyone there was so impressed by them. If they'd been real then you could say the actual appearance wasn't relevant because the awe was because of their divine aura or whatever, but if they're fakes then everyone in that room (including the cop who definitely thought they were fake and two angels who should have known better) was super impressed by some fake-looking wings.

Well they wouldn't have a profound effect on angels, so that's why they can't tell? If both fake angel wings and real angels wings inspire no awe in angels, then it makes sense they would't notice right away. Also, if you assume the wings that we saw at the end of the episode they were first introduced were the real ones, then the copy did look identical to the real wings. The guy who mounted the real wings changed their shape which presumably made them look a bit different. Yes I know that they actually just made a better prop, but I'm not going to hold it against a show for improving.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Tiggum posted:

Maybe, just seemed like the same way they present people like the therapist reacting to Lucifer's charm. And Chloe's not exactly a huge flirt, liable to instantly gush over a handsome stranger.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Goons are so bad at watching TV. Chloe was clearly reacting to Amenadiel being a sexy motherfucker, not because he was enchanting her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

Maybe, just seemed like the same way they present people like the therapist reacting to Lucifer's charm. And Chloe's not exactly a huge flirt, liable to instantly gush over a handsome stranger.

Yes, but she would totally do it just to mess with Lucifer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

WarLocke posted:

So am I alone in thinking that that one quick scene with Maz pulling out a Luci-feather from her little jewel box might imply that she had something to do with the wings being stolen in the first place?

While Maz probably helped Amenadiel with his plan to trick Lucifer into going back to hell, that wasn't the implication of the feather.

While Lucifer is playing piano and taking shots, she comes in and tells him that she cleaned up his mess on the beach. Then says she's going off to get ice. When the camera then focuses on her having a small feather, the implication is that while Lucifer did burn his wings there was at least one feather left that didn't burn. Maz is keeping it as part of her role as sworn protector of Lucifer. As to why she would go to clean up the beach, they made a pretty big deal out of humanity getting a piece of the divine, and angel wing ashes are probably still pretty divine.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh my god, it's Jim Rash. :allears:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
"I just figured you were sleeping with him." "I am." "...Oh."

This may not be the best show ever, but it has fun character interactions at least.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

computer parts posted:

It makes sense. See the thing with the Devil is that his main sin was not doing exactly what God said without any hesitation. That only makes him a bad guy if you actually believe that God is the #1 best thinker who always gets everything right. That isn't exactly realistic nor assumed for a lot of the modern day audience.

In other words, the guy can still help people and not have it be against his character as long as he's not a total goody two-shoes (which it doesn't look like based on how he dealt with the record producer).

(Also I'm calling it now - there will be a scene where he dresses up like a Catholic Priest and/or hides in a confession booth)

And computer parts nails it. Looks like this prediction is coming true next week!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Zebulon posted:

This may not be the best show ever, but it has fun character interactions at least.
"Hey detective! You need your roots done!"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

odiv posted:

"Hey detective! You need your roots done!"

I thought that's what he said but then I was like, "Nah."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That was some god awful green screen with Jim Rash and Lucifer on the roof.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
I don't know if the lighting and stuff was weird this episode or if I was just more high than normal, but it seemed super weird this evening. Was it just me? I mean, good episode, but that just struck me as odd.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SavTargaryen posted:

I don't know if the lighting and stuff was weird this episode or if I was just more high than normal, but it seemed super weird this evening. Was it just me? I mean, good episode, but that just struck me as odd.

The green screen as mentioned was kinda wonky but that's all I really noticed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just wanna say I totally called Dan being the guy who shot what's his face, Michael or whatever his name is.

It was that bit about not being able to find the prints on the key that convinced me, personally.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The Dan reveal this early makes me think he's not actually "dirty", but has some super convoluted excuse for why his actions in shooting the other cop was justified. If he were actually the bad guy here, it feels like they would have let us wonder for a few episodes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I knew I recognised Coma-Cop, its the guy who played Devil in Justified.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

My only thought when Jim Rash was on Lucifer:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

odiv posted:

The Dan reveal this early makes me think he's not actually "dirty", but has some super convoluted excuse for why his actions in shooting the other cop was justified. If he were actually the bad guy here, it feels like they would have let us wonder for a few episodes.

Yeah, it seemed super weird, I mean, we have no idea why he shot them in the first place.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My first reaction was that he followed Chloe there because of the same GPS nonsense she used to find the place, saw the suspicious scene and started shooting, but he really doesn't seem like a shooty cop type, so who knows. I assume there's some "good" reason that we don't know about yet.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

counterfeitsaint posted:

My first reaction was that he followed Chloe there because of the same GPS nonsense she used to find the place, saw the suspicious scene and started shooting, but he really doesn't seem like a shooty cop type, so who knows. I assume there's some "good" reason that we don't know about yet.

But he came up through a secret passageway and shot them, he knew the gym pretty well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

But he came up through a secret passageway and shot them, he knew the gym pretty well.

Unless that was how dirty cop or the other guy got there and Dan just used it as an exit.

The only valid reasons I can think of for Dan to shoot dirty cop are that Dan was the one who set up the meet to buy info on the dirty cop, or Dan was there for some other reason and saw dirty cop look over toward Chloe.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So... The doctor finaly managed to resist Lucifer's charms. I wonder if that's a matter of 'exposure' (building up a 'resistance'?) or if he really is losing his powers gradually?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

So... The doctor finaly managed to resist Lucifer's charms. I wonder if that's a matter of 'exposure' (building up a 'resistance'?) or if he really is losing his powers gradually?

Well I don't think that Lucifer's charms are really like mind control or anything, I think that his angelic nature simply registers as "incredibly desirable" to humans if they are of a sexual orientation that likes men. As such, people attracted to Lucifer still posses complete free will in the matter, it's just that they are going to think he's "worth it" to risk everything to be with him because of how desirable he seems to them. But there's no reason they couldn't make a conscious choice to not be with him even though they still find him attractive. I think the main reason that Linda wants to break off her sexual relationship with Lucifer is because she thinks it's bad for him. Linda is recognizing his infatuation with Chloe, and he is beginning to, and because she cares about him, she is choosing not to be selfish.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I might be really obtuse, but is the show playing that angle? Lucifer pointed out his situation wasn't anything like the jealous guy's emotions and when he asked Chloe, she said she agreed.

Plus, he's not losing his powers. He got the judge to pick his therapist AND bring her gavel to bed.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pan Dulce posted:

I might be really obtuse, but is the show playing that angle? Lucifer pointed out his situation wasn't anything like the jealous guy's emotions and when he asked Chloe, she said she agreed.

Lucifer's in denial and Chloe will say whatever to get him to shut up.

I think my favorite joke in this last episode, despite being totally immature, was Lucifer's reaction to the whiskey with pickle juice chaser: "Need to have Maz try this, she loves a salty aftertaste." :stonklol:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I still want to see Lucifer pick up some dudes. He's the devil, for Christ's sake! He should be sampling from both platters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

Plus, he's not losing his powers. He got the judge to pick his therapist AND bring her gavel to bed.

Well, there are a lot of differences between that guy and Lucifer. Which is why they say they are "nothing alike" but it is incredibly obvious that Lucifer is jealous of Dan. This episode does a lot of things to drive that home. "Why bother coveting something when you can just take it?" "What does she see in him?" and his look at the end when Chloe hugs Dan.

I also agree that is not losing his powers.

edit: ^yeah, I thought about this early. I actually started writing a post about how I was disappointed they didn't make Lucifer bisexual. He seems like he should be a creature of pure carnal energy and not bound by specific orientations. But it would also be tricky to do without having kind of a negative connotation "of course the devil is gay" type thing. It could easily end up in really touchy territory and I can't really blame the writers for avoiding it.

But no seriously Lucifer and Amenadiel should angry make-out.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wasn't there a scene in an earlier episode with Lucifer walking around in a robe (so post-sex) with a dude and a lady still in his bed? The implication seems to be there, at least.

• Locked thread