Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Hoyt Hoyterson posted:

Orphans of the Sky. I think I read it after someone else posted it in this thread.

That's the one, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

MrSlam posted:

My dad told me a short story he read once as a kid, and it may have been part of an anthology from the late 50's-late70's. It goes like this [parts I'm not sure about go in brackets]:

A very successful man takes [his best friend] out [somewhere] to tell him his deepest darkest secret. The successful man tells his friend he's an alien and explains a bunch of stuff about the world he came from. The man used to be a [king/revolutionary/criminal] or somesuch and he was overthrown. As part of his punishment he was exiled to earth and forced to live as a human and has spent his entire time here rebuilding his life. The friend then reveals that he's also an alien and he was sent there to spy on the man. And the moment he rebuilt his life and became happy again he'd be exiled to a new planet to start all over.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if it was a Twilight Zone episode or a ghost story he heard.

That's definitely not The Twilight Zone. There is a Twilight Zone episode which features an alien revealing himself only to be upstaged by another alien doing the same, but it lacks everything else you described. It's also not Night Gallery. I can't tell you what it is, but maybe knowing a couple of things it's not will help.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I remember a short story about an Arab, possibly a trade representative, sent to America in a dystopian future in which Islam rules the world. America is dirt poor, and there might've been a plot about a woman that sings in a bar, which the protagonist finds most unusual.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mcustic posted:

I remember a short story about an Arab, possibly a trade representative, sent to America in a dystopian future in which Islam rules the world. America is dirt poor, and there might've been a plot about a woman that sings in a bar, which the protagonist finds most unusual.

Jitterbug?

edit:Whoops no, that wa a novel.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

mcustic posted:

Is it "Seven American Nights" by Gene Wolfe?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

House Louse posted:

Is it "Seven American Nights" by Gene Wolfe?

Yes! Thank you!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

"It's about a little girl who finds a fairy circle in the woods and a book. She is able to see the fairies fly around. Later you learn that it is because she is given tiny amounts of foxglove. What is really going on is a creepy old man is abducting girls..."

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

There are two books that have been repeatedly coming to mind lately and I'm so glad I remembered this thread existed, hopefully I can stop being frustrated by snippets of story:

1:

YA fantasy book where a teenage(?) kid (can't remember if boy or girl) goes to some alternate universe of Earth where s/he has to ultimately conquer the wolf Fenrir. I want to say there was something about some magical hair/cord being braided to use as a harness for Fenrir to tame him. There was also something about how William Shakespeare in our world was named something like Makepeace (but with the same or similar verses written), and there is a scene at the end where "conquering" the wolf ended up with him (the wolf) laying down and turning magically into a dirt mound covered by flowers, daisies maybe?

2:

YA historical fiction set in ancient greece or rome (there was worship of either the greek or roman gods, I can't remember) where the main character is a young rich boy who I think is the son of a merchant. The boy has a personal slave who he's grown up with and studied with and considers a best friend. A key point is that he mentioned only having hit the slave twice, once for beating him in a pankration match and another for something in their studies.

The father takes the boy on a journey and the boat gets attacked by pirates(?) and the boy gets captured. He manages to smuggle some pearls that he owns into like a rag hoping he gets to later buy his freedom. He gets bought as a slave, and I forget what happens except he eventually makes it back home to his mother and sisters and his personal slave, who was the only one left (the rest ran away or were sold?). The boy manumits the slave, the slave hits him twice to make up for the times when they were kids, and they make up and that's the end of the book.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

angelicism posted:

I want to say there was something about some magical hair/cord being braided to use as a harness for Fenrir to tame him.

No info on this specific book, but the binding Gleipnir is a standard part of Fenrir's mythology.

Harakiri
Dec 23, 2012

Do not attempt to leave the building.
Hi

A friend asked me if I could help figure out the name of a book she read about 6 years ago, but I am completely stumped.

It was exclusive to sony ereader in digital form but she thinks it was also published as a paperback. Now that the sony readstore is dead (and the device she had as well) she can't recover the names of her purchases. Searching her emails hasn't bought up any past purchase confirmations. It was supernatural/dark fantasy genre, a trilogy and she thinks written by a male author. The first book had 'dark' in the title, and was one word (darkling, darklight, something like that). The main characters first name was probably James and there was a female vampire character called Selena (probably). The main character is stabbed but doesn't 'die' starts to see goblins and and other creatures. There is apparently an epic battle in an amphitheatre at the end of the first book. It was probably published around 2008.

I cannot guarantee this wasn't a fever dream of hers and I cannot speak for why she wants to read it again given it sounds like half the trash urban fantasy fiction out there but far be it for me to judge. Googling has bought up a bunch of stuff which sounds similar but isn't it. It is not the Grisha Trilogy or the Dark Genesis Trilogy. I give up. Anyone recall these books?

Edit: Now she thinks the main character got shot rather than stabbed but she may just be thinking too hard about it.

Harakiri fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 11, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

angelicism posted:

2:

YA historical fiction set in ancient greece or rome (there was worship of either the greek or roman gods, I can't remember) where the main character is a young rich boy who I think is the son of a merchant. The boy has a personal slave who he's grown up with and studied with and considers a best friend. A key point is that he mentioned only having hit the slave twice, once for beating him in a pankration match and another for something in their studies.

The father takes the boy on a journey and the boat gets attacked by pirates(?) and the boy gets captured. He manages to smuggle some pearls that he owns into like a rag hoping he gets to later buy his freedom. He gets bought as a slave, and I forget what happens except he eventually makes it back home to his mother and sisters and his personal slave, who was the only one left (the rest ran away or were sold?). The boy manumits the slave, the slave hits him twice to make up for the times when they were kids, and they make up and that's the end of the book.

This might be by Rosemary Sutcliff; sounds like her type. Hope this helps.

uh oh, looks like this tbb mod is going the way of the last one :munch:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A science fiction story about Earth (and maybe some colonies?) who meet this giant alien empire and fear they're going to be conquered by it. I'm pretty sure it's a short story. In the end it turns out that the alien empire hasn't had real resistance in ages while the humans fought between each other a bunch so humanity has better weapons and repelled/beat them.

There's a specific analogy to the Persian War in there, where the alien empire is Persia and Earth and co are the Greek city states.

e: I've apparently asked this before, so it's not Homo Sol by Asimov.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

computer parts posted:

A science fiction story about Earth (and maybe some colonies?) who meet this giant alien empire and fear they're going to be conquered by it. I'm pretty sure it's a short story. In the end it turns out that the alien empire hasn't had real resistance in ages while the humans fought between each other a bunch so humanity has better weapons and repelled/beat them.

There's a specific analogy to the Persian War in there, where the alien empire is Persia and Earth and co are the Greek city states.

The other one that gets suggested when this type of story gets asked about is "The Road Not Taken" by Harry Turtledove.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, I'm asking you guys cause i'm pretty much at the end of my rope.

I vaguely remember a story I read 20+ years ago. I thought it was by Isaac Asimov, but I think I'm wrong now.

The vague details I remember about this story are only two parts. One, is that the characters are having issues with robot brains not taking impressions well, and having huge problems. They find the solution is to let the robots "sleep" which makes the impressions take better. I think the impressions were of people's minds, as a way to transfer people's minds to robot bodies. I'm not sure on that point, bit's sort of hazy.

One of the characters starts a robot with no impression, making it like a child.

Towards the end of the book, this same child robot (now grown) drops rabbit poop into a world spanning ocean on another planet and the planet looks like it will start becoming sentient.

Does this ring ANY bells for anyone? I've been trying to remember this book for the last year with no success.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
This has been bugging me for a while so hopefully someone can help.

It's a schlocky 80s (or maybe 70s) style pulp horror novel. I initially thought that I remembered it being called "The Room" but Google leads me nowhere with that title. It was about a family who move into a big house in the country and the kids find an egg in an airpocket cave under a lake on the house grounds.

The egg hatches and a weird monster insect thing emerges. The details are vague but the creature makes the family bring victims for it to eat and it gets bigger and bigger. I remember that one of the boys is super into doing the creature's bidding, more so than the rest of the family.

The house has a lead-lined room (for some reason) and lead blocks the creature's controlling powers so it won't go in there. At the end the teenage son holds a party for all his horrible school friends in that room. The monster goes on the rampage in the room, drawn by all the people,and the family lock it in there.

I read this enjoyable piece of poo poo in an afternoon years and years ago and would love to find it again. I remember that the cover had a really garish picture of the insecty monster hatching from a chrysalis.

Anyone recognise the description? Thanks!

AlMac fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 17, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The other one that gets suggested when this type of story gets asked about is "The Road Not Taken" by Harry Turtledove.

There's also Harry Turtledove's World War / Colonization series. The aliens sent a probe to earth a long time ago and think they're hot poo poo, but when their invasion fleet arrives we're in the middle of WW2. The aliens' technological progress is extremely slow when compared to humans so they were expecting to fight knights and archers. That series is pretty memorable though so it's probably not that. Also notable because the aliens get junkie-level addicted to ginger.

AlMac posted:

I read this enjoyable piece of poo poo in an afternoon years and years ago and would love to find it again. I remember that the cover had a really garish picture of the insecty monster hatching from a chrysalis.

My Google-Fu is weak, but that story sounds really interesting.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

MrSlam posted:

My Google-Fu is weak, but that story sounds really interesting.

Yeah, it really stuck with me despite being a totally trashy throw-away pulp thing. It had an strangely oppressive and claustrophobic atmosphere.

Hopefully my description rings a bell for someone.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

AlMac posted:

This has been bugging me for a while so hopefully someone can help.

It's a schlocky 80s (or maybe 70s) style pulp horror novel. I initially thought that I remembered it being called "The Room" but Google leads me nowhere with that title. It was about a family who move into a big house in the country and the kids find an egg in an airpocket cave under a lake on the house grounds.

The egg hatches and a weird monster insect thing emerges. The details are vague but the creature makes the family bring victims for it to eat and it gets bigger and bigger. I remember that one of the boys is super into doing the creature's bidding, more so than the rest of the family.

The house has a lead-lined room (for some reason) and lead blocks the creature's controlling powers so it won't go in there. At the end the teenage son holds a party for all his horrible school friends in that room. The monster goes on the rampage in the room, drawn by all the people,and the family lock it in there.

Anyone recognise the description? Thanks!

You were right, it is called The Room. Bonus disgusting cover:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bandiet posted:

You were right, it is called The Room. Bonus disgusting cover:

THE ROOM's back cover blurb posted:

They seemed incredibly lucky. Bob Briar, single father of Harvest and Bounty, two nubile teenage girls, and Rebecca Halifax, divorced mother of two virile teenage boys, Ron and Jamie

[...]

Once the perverted urges passed them

:catstare:

Okay

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

computer parts posted:

If you think it could be an Asimov story, that sounds kind of like In a Good Cause—.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Bandiet posted:

You were right, it is called The Room.

Holy poo poo, thank you!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drakhoran posted:

If you think it could be an Asimov story, that sounds kind of like In a Good Cause—.

Yep, that's definitely it.

This are the lines I've been thinking of:

quote:

"But our very disagreements are our strength! Your Federalist party used to speak of ancient Greece a great deal once. Do you remember? But your people always missed the point. To be sure, Greece could never unite and was therefore ultimately conquered. But even in her state of disunion, she defeated the gigantic Persian Empire. Why?

"I would like to point out that the Greek city-states over centuries had fought with one another. They were forced to specialize in things military to an extent far beyond the Persians. Even the Persians themselves realized that, and in the last century of their imperial existence, Greek mercenaries formed the most valued parts of their armies.

"The same might be said of the small nation-states of preatomic Europe, which in centuries of fighting had advanced their military arts to the point where they could overcome and hold for two hundred years the comparatively gigantic empires of Asia.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 18, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

It's like the Brady Bunch, but with alien mind-control sex

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

As an archeology-loving child, there was one book I read several times from our local library, though I can't remember if it was specifically about dinosaurs or about archeology in general.

The title might have had "America" as part of it. The cover was white, except for a colorful scene of dinosaurs on the front. It was written for kids and quite possibly written in the 1950s or 1960s.

One of the chapters was "The Weatherhill Boys Go Exploring" which is probably misspelled.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

RC and Moon Pie posted:

One of the chapters was "The Weatherhill Boys Go Exploring" which is probably misspelled.

Googling that exact phrase (including quotation marks) gives a pretty definitive answer: it was published in "The identify that book/story thread" on http://forums.somethingawful.com.

You should always try a quick Google, or, God forbid, Bing, search before posting your questions in here. It works a surprising amount of the time.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I have a vague recollection about a story or novel where a gun is built into someone, probably against his will. He can fire it but it's very painful and if he uses it too much it might kill him? This might have been a comic book, I really can't remember.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson features a guy who gets a gun implanted into his skull?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Poldarn posted:

I have a vague recollection about a story or novel where a gun is built into someone, probably against his will. He can fire it but it's very painful and if he uses it too much it might kill him? This might have been a comic book, I really can't remember.
Pretty sure that's one of the stories in a Stephen Donaldson collection - um... Daughter of Regals and Other Tales. Not sure which story it is in that, though.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I don't think I've read any of those but I'll have to check them out now.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul
I've asked about this one two or three times, but no one ever answers. It's not obscure; I had it in a Year's Best collection, I think.

The story is about a guy who gets stuck on some transit world after running out of money, or being robbed, or something. He meets and is eventually turned out by an emotionally dead transsexual space prostitute. He becomes dependent on her, and maybe even falls into an unhealthy "love" with her. For her part, she plays along, but does not reciprocate his feelings. The whole thing is very depressing, and very good.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
SF heist story about a guy who designs impossible-to-steal-from vaults getting roped into stealing from his own latest creation, a labyrinth (maybe on the moon), complete with a silent murderous robot as minotaur. I think I remember the book being clear about the difference between a labyrinth and a maze, and having something to do with pattern recognition, like there's a part where the labyrinth will kill him if he doesn't type or walk with the exact rhythm that his former client would.

e: googling "moon labyrinth heist" and "labyrinth minotaur heist" was getting me nowhere. It's not The Maze Runner or the Doctor Who episode with a minotaur.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul
Can the mods send this thread on a tour of GBS, or something? I am sure there are enough people on these forums that this thread needn't go three weeks between replies, but most of them probably don't know it exists.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Oh yeah, because GBS is all about being helpful.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Phy posted:

SF heist story about a guy who designs impossible-to-steal-from vaults getting roped into stealing from his own latest creation, a labyrinth (maybe on the moon), complete with a silent murderous robot as minotaur. I think I remember the book being clear about the difference between a labyrinth and a maze, and having something to do with pattern recognition, like there's a part where the labyrinth will kill him if he doesn't type or walk with the exact rhythm that his former client would.

e: googling "moon labyrinth heist" and "labyrinth minotaur heist" was getting me nowhere. It's not The Maze Runner or the Doctor Who episode with a minotaur.

I have no idea what book this is, but it sounds rad as hell.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Centripetal Horse posted:

Can the mods send this thread on a tour of GBS, or something? I am sure there are enough people on these forums that this thread needn't go three weeks between replies, but most of them probably don't know it exists.

This is a decent idea and I'm definitely interested in ideas to help this subforum get more traffic.

My concern with bouncing this thread to GBS is that it might just get spammed full of shitposts.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is a decent idea and I'm definitely interested in ideas to help this subforum get more traffic.

My concern with bouncing this thread to GBS is that it might just get spammed full of shitposts.
Tour the other subforums, chickencheese style.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Splicer posted:

Tour the other subforums, chickencheese style.

It's on, though I went with the book recommendation thread instead because I thought it might be a little more generally applicable. Everyone please chip in with rec's for all the poor bookless fools out there

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3147139

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Phy posted:

Did you post about this in the SciFi/Fantasy thread? Because your summary sounds really familiar, but I can't remember where else I've seen it before.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Entirely possible, but it's not like this is a drama-friendly thread that is likely to sustain long-term shitposting.

It's on, though I went with the book recommendation thread instead because I thought it might be a little more generally applicable. Everyone please chip in with rec's for all the poor bookless fools out there

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3147139

I'm glad my idea appealed enough to be put into production, but the recommendation thread is already way healthier than this one. I'm sure there are lots of people all over the forums who are scratching their heads trying to remember the name of that book/story that's been in their heads. This thread spends so much time at the bottom of page on, or on page two-plus, that even people who occasionally visit the Book Barn are fairly likely to not know it exists. There are plenty of places I can go to find book recommendations, but not so many places I can go ask people to identify specific stories for me.

A quick visit to the new bookmobile thread suggests that my idea is working, despite some goofs posting silly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

I have no idea what book this is, but it sounds rad as hell.

Let's put it this way, I'm pretty sure I read it about 20 years ago, and it was rad enough for me to remember the plot outline, but not enough to remember the name of the book

mania posted:

Did you post about this in the SciFi/Fantasy thread?

Not yet, but sure, might as well

e: After some deeper googling, I think I may have found the book, but the book may suck. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Angel The central setpiece might be better than the author was able to give justice to, is what I'm going with.

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 24, 2016