Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As I recall the main problem with Civil War-era Iron Man was that his character became a mustache-twirling villain and didn't make much sense. Now I am reading panels where he is mouthing off in front of gods and demigods and clearly has no concept of his own power level in relation.

Both of those scenes were written by JMS who got a real bug up his butt about Iron Man around Civil War. He's also the one who had Iron Man hire a villain to attack him when he was testifying before Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I could see him doing that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deadpool, Cable, and 60s Nick Fury vs. Time Traveling Hitler (Deadpool #26, 2011-2014 run)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Vicissitude posted:

What about those Punisher panels where Peter just full on tanks Frank's punches and beats the crap out of him?

anyone got these?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that's even better :allears: "I regularly fight a shapeshifter made out of sand and an insane goo-alien who doesn't set off my spider-sense. You're just a dude."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Both of those scenes were written by JMS who got a real bug up his butt about Iron Man around Civil War. He's also the one who had Iron Man hire a villain to attack him when he was testifying before Congress.

But JMS isn't the one who had Iron Man hire an entire crew of mass murderers as his hit squad so that actually seems like a step down from the regular Civil War portrayal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you add up what Dan Slott and JMS made the pro-reg side do they probably did more damage than most supervillains do in their entire career.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that's even better :allears: "I regularly fight a shapeshifter made out of sand and an insane goo-alien who doesn't set off my spider-sense. You're just a dude."

Garth Ennis had kittens when he read that page.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

But JMS isn't the one who had Iron Man hire an entire crew of mass murderers as his hit squad so that actually seems like a step down from the regular Civil War portrayal.

The main CW mini also had Iron Man make a lobotomised clone of one of his best friends and then continue to use the clone even after it murdered another hero. And his side responded to a teenage hero breaking up a mugging by attacking him with a helicopter.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Horrible Taste posted:

The main CW mini also had Iron Man make a lobotomised clone of one of his best friends and then continue to use the clone even after it murdered another hero. And his side responded to a teenage hero breaking up a mugging by attacking him with a helicopter.

I liked it when they conscripted a bunch of kids and told them they either had to kill people for the government or be crippled via nanomachines, but that was mostly because of Taskmaster and Ant-Man being the laziest heroes ever.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS

This is why suicide by cop is a bad idea on demigods.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's badass to horifically curse someone?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Lurdiak posted:

if the Punisher horribly killing people by the truckload is considered to be badass, then a demigod giving an ironic and gory demise to one of her subjects is badass.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

if the Punisher horribly killing people by the truckload is considered to be badass, then a demigod giving an ironic and gory demise to one of her subjects is badass.

:goonsay: But punisher is different, because:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's metal. I see that as a near-synonym of "badass," but typically applied to a situation or event, rather than a person or act.

(:goonsay:)

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I'd say the more badass part is him standing up to Mottom to begin with:

While admirable, I think a more subtle approach is probably a better idea when dealing with ill tempered deities.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Random Stranger posted:

Iron Man didn't do that, though. That was the government's call and Hill sent them after Spider-Man despite Tony insisting that she not do that.

The worst thing Tony did in the main series is create Clone Thor. Emphasis on create because utilizing it was also Hill's idea. That was his entire point in the main series. He didn't even truly want registration, but it wasn't going anywhere and having him get behind it to eventually control it was a better option than having people like Hill calling the shots.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
It always bothered me that the pro-registration side never worked out that the most damaging thing they could have done was send ordinary police officers after anti-registration supers.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
A fickle god mockingly killing a powerless servant is about as badass as that panel of Poison Ivy taunting someone as her plant dissolved his legs to mush.

Seriously, Kill 6 Billion Demons is a great webcomic (and so is Necropolis, which has appeared here a bunch of times), but neither the intent nor the effect of that scene is "Wow, that's badass."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Nilbop posted:

A fickle god mockingly killing a powerless servant is about as badass as that panel of Poison Ivy taunting someone as her plant dissolved his legs to mush.

Seriously, Kill 6 Billion Demons is a great webcomic (and so is Necropolis, which has appeared here a bunch of times), but neither the intent nor the effect of that scene is "Wow, that's badass."

A key aspect of 'badass', I think, is the will to keep going even when in a situation where one is seemingly overpowered. When one is so much more powerful than one's opponent, there's very little that can be considered badass.

The Spectre killing everyone on death row (including the guards, because they were dirty), that's not badass. Jim Corrigan convincing Madame Xanadu to relinquish the power of the Spectre, that's badass.

Skurge shooting someone, that's not badass. Skurge standing alone at Gjallerbru, as thousands upon thousands of demons rush him... that's badass.

Jesse Custer using the Word to make Hoover count three million grains of sand, that's not badass. Featherstone throwing herself out of a moving car before Jesse can figure out what the gently caress is going on, clambering to her feet, sprinting off the highway , and hiding face-down in a ditch with her fingers shoved in her ears so that she can't hear the Word...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

It probably wouldn't have gotten any flak if they'd had the goddess go on to take a piece of fruit, bite into it, and then have to spit it out due to tree-man getting in one last "gently caress you" by his fruit being poisonous to assholes.

Then again I think up weird poo poo like this at work because it's slow as gently caress, so :shrug:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 13, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Parahexavoctal posted:

The Spectre killing everyone on death row (including the guards, because they were dirty), that's not badass.

Yes, it is.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Jesse Custer using the Word to make Hoover count three million grains of sand, that's not badass.

No, but it's hilarious.

Nilbop posted:

Moral: People should respect their superiors. :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

E: y'know what, let's not feed the derail.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Instead of arguing with WickedHate, let's post more good Spidey moments

Aside from a touch of unfortunate racial stereotyping, this is a pretty good scene. I'm a sucker for heroes resolving situations nonviolently by just reminding baddies that they're fuckin superheroes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say Spider-Man should be presented as more intimidating. That's awesome. There's no need for him to be Batman or Rorschach breaking fingers, but more "Spider" and more "Man".

Of course, part of the problem is that he's constantly getting reset to being a high school student in every adaption and spin off, so before you know all that sticks in people's mind resembles a mix between Sam Alexander and Plastic Man, as though relative youth and jokes are his sole defining traits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe Spider-man was having a really bad time when that happened. He tends to get pretty scary when he's in a nasty mood.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 13, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Punching hard enough to make Hulk feel it is a pretty good meter for strength, I feel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Despite going crazy-nutso on Hulk due to grief-powered rage, that fight ends with Hulk realizing Spider-man's not right in the head and letting him exhaust himself beating on him and then going "Yeah Hulk been through this kinda poo poo. Hulk feels you. Well, bye." Still, the effort is impressive.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Despite going crazy-nutso on Hulk due to grief-powered rage, that fight ends with Hulk realizing Spider-man's not right in the head and letting him exhaust himself beating on him and then going "Yeah Hulk been through this kinda poo poo. Hulk feels you. Well, bye." Still, the effort is impressive.

:smith:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And now to ruin the moment! :v:
My personal favorite spider-intimidaton.

Sometimes you just have to out-crazy crazy. Or just aren't in the mood, that works too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That's intended as a bluff of course, but I'd be surprised if at one point Spiderman didn't come up with a spider-swarm caller. He's an A-list Marvel guy so of course there's nothing he's not good at.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Stop with the loss.jpg edits.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That's intended as a bluff of course, but I'd be surprised if at one point Spiderman didn't come up with a spider-swarm caller. He's an A-list Marvel guy so of course there's nothing he's not good at.

You kidding? That'd be infringing on Both Batmans AND Antmans schtick. He couldn't afford the lawsuits

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Parahexavoctal posted:

A key aspect of 'badass', I think, is the will to keep going even when in a situation where one is seemingly overpowered. When one is so much more powerful than one's opponent, there's very little that can be considered badass.

The Spectre killing everyone on death row (including the guards, because they were dirty), that's not badass. Jim Corrigan convincing Madame Xanadu to relinquish the power of the Spectre, that's badass.

Skurge shooting someone, that's not badass. Skurge standing alone at Gjallerbru, as thousands upon thousands of demons rush him... that's badass.

Jesse Custer using the Word to make Hoover count three million grains of sand, that's not badass. Featherstone throwing herself out of a moving car before Jesse can figure out what the gently caress is going on, clambering to her feet, sprinting off the highway , and hiding face-down in a ditch with her fingers shoved in her ears so that she can't hear the Word...

Correct, hence the most badass panel in K6BD is this:

context

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Spider-man knows how to appear badass to the kids in Runaways Vol 2 #11

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's why Spider-Man is really scary when he gets pushed too far- because he's not scary the rest of the time. It's like that saying about what all wise men fear - the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Travis343 posted:

It's like that saying about what all wise men fear - the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.

And publishing schedules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This page is just beautiful

It's loving amazing and i love it.