Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

SubponticatePoster posted:

Kurieg posted the details but you just get some bonuses for importing a save. Genesis only covers the major events and is missing a lot of flags (understandable as a lot of stuff can transfer over). Now they have the Keep that they used for DA so you may be able to fine-tune a world state when Andromeda comes out, although it may not matter since it's set in another galaxy parallel to the events of ME3.

And you're welcome - I love ME and usually replay the trilogy every year or so. If you really want to experience ME1 I suggest getting a copy on PC and just hacking the hell out of it so you can one-shot everything and worry about the story. I make fun of stuff in the game but I have a great deal of affection for it.

Yeah, it's a game I've always wanted to play, and a trilogy I've always wanted to fully play through, and at some point I will, but for now the LP will have to do. I've read about the story and it is extremely interesting and I think kinda ground-breaking and exciting for the time, especially creating a pretty fleshed out, visceral galaxy that only gets more and more interesting the more games you play. Especially compared to ME2. Like, I love the second game. I've beaten it more times than I should have, but the story just isn't...there. I agree when many people say that the trilogy loses something when they chose to focus less on RPG and story elements and more on gun- and game-play. I think 3 achieves both of these really well, personally.

Like you say that Andromeda is in another galaxy, probably parallel to ME3, I'm very curious, then, if player choice will matter. I mean, it shouldn't when you get down to it, but with Bioware/Mass Effect fans so upset about "player choice" or lack thereof in the last game, who knows. I don't really even understand how choices like that work. Would it, across a whole other system? From what I know the Rock Band songs you've purchased on PS3 or 360 transfer to the new system through your online profile, but can it work the same way with saves? I'm pretty out of the loop on stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Dragon Age Inquisition had a system called the Keep so you could import saves across generations. I could see ME using something like that if it even mattered. From what I understand it's completely separate from this trilogy so other than having Jennifer Hale or Mark Meer record your going away message I don't think it's going to matter much :v: After 3 they probably want to just leave sleeping dogs lie and try to start over.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You just know the biggest question that'll be hanging over Andromeda's head will be "which ME3 ending is canon?"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dragon Age Inquisition had a system called the Keep so you could import saves across generations. I could see ME using something like that if it even mattered. From what I understand it's completely separate from this trilogy so other than having Jennifer Hale or Mark Meer record your going away message I don't think it's going to matter much :v: After 3 they probably want to just leave sleeping dogs lie and try to start over.

IF they import any choices from the first trilogy at all, they will definitely use the keep system. It's also a great way to introduce the game world to newcomers, Varric retelling Origin's and DA2's story was pretty great.

Personally, I hope they don't need to do this at all. I'm in favor of a clean break, with the exception of retaining some of the familiar races.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Regalingualius posted:

You just know the biggest question that'll be hanging over Andromeda's head will be "which ME3 ending is canon?"

My guess is, the colony ships left before the end of the war, so nobody knows what happened.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Yep, it's gonna be a soft reboot of the series because that's too many variables to account for. The ships were probably sent out before the end as a backup plan in case the Reapers won. And who wants to be reminded of/anywhere near the ME3 ending controversy?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

On the other hand, unless they do something like the Devil May Cry series (every game made after the divisive one is a prequel to it), it's inevitably going to come up if Andromeda is set just right at the start of 3. And as crazy-prepared as Bioware is... There's no way in hell we'd get essentially three (or four :haw:) of their usual offering in one game.

Winsanity
May 14, 2015

Space magic is the best magic
ME is my favorite game series ever. Looking forward to seeing the 2nd game especially. The combat in 1 (and my need to do everything, everytime) is what really kept me from going through and doing more runs. In my first run I never finished the Conrad Verner quest line in 1, and I always regretted it because I didn't see more of that goofy bastard.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'd love it if BioWare released a super-detailed Mass Effect Chronicle, with a bunch of stuff you can customize from the previous games that you can import into the new game, and literally none of it comes up because everything happens in an entirely different galaxy you dumbass.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JT Jag posted:

I'd love it if BioWare released a super-detailed Mass Effect Chronicle, with a bunch of stuff you can customize from the previous games that you can import into the new game, and literally none of it comes up because everything happens in an entirely different galaxy you dumbass.

They might do it anyway, most of the point of the Dragon's Age Keep was to centralize all of your plot decisions across all of the platforms and separate from the games themselves. So you could upgrade your computer and not have to faithfully shuttle along a string of save files to import into the final product.

Also allowing you to skip Dragon Age 2.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I never bothered transferring saves between Dragon Age 1-2. It felt a bit pointless since you're playing a completely different character in a completely different location and the few cameos from the first just seemed like cameos. :shrug:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Beach Blanket Blasto

Me 'n Lazyfire put on our board shorts and flip-flops and head on over to Virmire to check in on the STG. Turns out Saren has built a secret lair and is breeding an army of Krogan. The actual science behind this is never explained, nor is the fact that since Krogan are a very long-lived species how they're accelerating them to adulthood in what's assumedly a couple of weeks. Don't blame the game for this, cloning is a common sci-fi trope and nobody ever explains how all their clones are automatically grownups.

Because we're good people and bothered to do Wrex's personal quest, he's upset but sides with us in the matter. Should you skip it, he gets really mad and then Ashley kills him rather spontaneously. Like no signal from you, just blows him away while you're arguing with him. I don't know why you'd want to kill Wrex as he's completely awesome, but should you choose to do it then the ME universe becomes a much worse place, IMO. His fill-in for the rest of the series is his half-brother Wreav, who is way more regressive in his thinking and will probably end up with the full extinction of his species.

Kirrahe is an awesome dude (bit of a cloaca, though) and the first time I heard his speech it was pretty moving. If you do everything right in the next section then he survives and turns up again in 3, where he is also awesome.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yet another reason to dislike Ashley. Not that I like Kaidan either. lovely humans.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wish I'd realized, at the time, that if I let Kaidan live he'd become such an annoying prick.

Regalingualius posted:

Ooh! Will it be the green one or the purple one?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Beach Blanket BlastoHis fill-in for the rest of the series is his half-brother Wreav, who is way more regressive in his thinking and will probably end up with the full extinction of his species.

Well, considering how if you keep Wrex you're basically relying on two people changing the culture of an entire species in the middle of a gigantic population boom when the last one almost destroyed every other species....I'm not so sure that's a bad thing for the rest of the galaxy.

Also Virmire, the beginning of the high point of the entire series in my opinion, and also the beginning of all ME's problems!

e: as for Ashley, everyone mistrusted Wrex at this point, Wrex has his gun drawn on you, in a situation where if Wrex fires first the entire galaxy is screwed. Ashley erred on the right side :colbert:

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 17, 2016

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Because we're good people and bothered to do Wrex's personal quest, he's upset but sides with us in the matter. Should you skip it, he gets really mad and then Ashley kills him rather spontaneously. Like no signal from you, just blows him away while you're arguing with him. I don't know why you'd want to kill Wrex as he's completely awesome, but should you choose to do it then the ME universe becomes a much worse place, IMO. His fill-in for the rest of the series is his half-brother Wreav, who is way more regressive in his thinking and will probably end up with the full extinction of his species.

You do get a Persuasion/Intimidate check if you don't do the personal quest though, so there is that if all else fails or you don't feel like walking through yet another set of pre-fab buildings to shoot dudes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

whowhatwhere posted:

e: as for Ashley, everyone mistrusted Wrex at this point, Wrex has his gun drawn on you, in a situation where if Wrex fires first the entire galaxy is screwed. Ashley erred on the right side :colbert:
Yeah it's easy to just assume the Paragon choice is the right choice, but the krogan did sort of almost destroy galactic civilization. And your proxy for changing the krogan for the better does happen to be a mercenary who will fight for almost anyone.

Edit: VVV I forget, was that the green one?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Halloween Jack posted:

I wish I'd realized, at the time, that if I let Kaidan live he'd become such an annoying prick.

Ooh! Will it be the green one or the purple one?

In a twist no one saw coming, bioware chooses the hissy fit, let the galaxy burn ending as the canonical one.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah it's easy to just assume the Paragon choice is the right choice, but the krogan did sort of almost destroy galactic civilization. And your proxy for changing the krogan for the better does happen to be a mercenary who will fight for almost anyone.

That was the one where you try to blow the kid's head off.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Nah, it's the one where you just keep picking, the "But you can't make me choose!" options until you just let the reapers destroy the galaxy. The universe literally burns because the protagonist and the end guy throw a hissy fit and pout at each other rather than resolve the issue.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Halloween Jack posted:

The Extended Cut added a fourth option where you can shoot the starkid right between the eyes, and he just laughs at you as the screen fades to black and cuts to a cinematic of someone finding one of Liara's black boxes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, it's the one where you just keep picking, the "But you can't make me choose!" options until you just let the reapers destroy the galaxy. The universe literally burns because the protagonist and the end guy throw a hissy fit and pout at each other rather than resolve the issue.
I watched my wife play through the end, and she didn't get a good one because she isn't a pedantic side-mission completist to me. Please just spoil and tell me there's a "Why am I talking to my recurring nightmare? gently caress you I'm a go make blue babies. Peace out" ending.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You get a Green ending where you die but Organic life and AIs merge together somehow and you can totally half-robot bone in the half-robot meadows overlooked by half-robot birds! This totally resolves every problem between organic and synthetic life!

e: and also was unable to be thought up by godlike beings over possibly millions of years, requiring a human to come up with because only we have the flexibility to see things in a new way!

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 17, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Halloween Jack posted:

I watched my wife play through the end, and she didn't get a good one because she isn't a pedantic side-mission completist to me. Please just spoil and tell me there's a "Why am I talking to my recurring nightmare? gently caress you I'm a go make blue babies. Peace out" ending.
Yes, it's called Citadel, and you play it after the stupid ending sequence and pretend that's how the game actually ends :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
It always bothered me that Wrex wasn't immediately tackled by everybody for randomly plinking away... at a base that they were trying to keep secret. Not like the sound of gunshots travel or anything.

whowhatwhere posted:

You get a Green ending where you die but Organic life and AIs merge together somehow and you can totally half-robot bone in the half-robot meadows overlooked by half-robot birds! This totally resolves every problem between organic and synthetic life!

e: and also was unable to be thought up by godlike beings over possibly millions of years, requiring a human to come up with because only we have the flexibility to see things in a new way!

An ending so far out there it qualifies as pure magic by the standards of a loving space opera. I'm kinda sad that Bioware didn't go with a gently caress YOU, YOU'RE INDOCTRINATED twist to offset the lack of endgame choice. The carebear/shipper tears would've been so delicious too!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm kinda sad that Bioware didn't go with a gently caress YOU, YOU'RE INDOCTRINATED twist to offset the lack of endgame choice. The carebear/shipper tears would've been so delicious too!

I think that would have been great as long as you either had to kill your party to complete the game, there was some mechanic that allowed your party to pull a Shepard and convince you to suicide, or both.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

It always bothered me that Wrex wasn't immediately tackled by everybody for randomly plinking away... at a base that they were trying to keep secret. Not like the sound of gunshots travel or anything.

This is also a game where, in (almost) the same cutscene, a Lieutenant felt he needed to give deference to a Sergeant.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

DeusExMachinima posted:

Not like you didn't just roar up that canyon with both the Normandy and the Mako, blasting every Geth and checkpoint along the way just before that.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Poil posted:

Yet another reason to dislike Ashley. Not that I like Kaidan either. lovely humans.

Good humans in this series include, what Zaeed and Kasumi maybe? Pretty much anyone else might be a controversial pick.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hard counter posted:

Good humans in this series include, what Zaeed and Kasumi maybe? Pretty much anyone else might be a controversial pick.

Hackett and Anderson :colbert:

(and Jason)

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

Hackett and Anderson :colbert:

(and Jason)

Well if you're including non-playables, then Conrad.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

This is also a game where, in (almost) the same cutscene, a Lieutenant felt he needed to give deference to a Sergeant.
He is a total bottom.

hard counter posted:

Maybe, I never got to play around with those two. Since they never made any dlc for the steam version. :argh:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

hard counter posted:

Good as in interesting, or good as in a decent human being? Because I'm pretty sure Zaeed's a psychopath. But, if he should just happen to break onto my ship and murder Kaidan and steal his room, though, I'm not in a position to turn down any help I can get.

VVV It's funny how no gay Shepard until ME3, and then when you get to ME3 James is just gagging for it.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 18, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

hard counter posted:

James

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Good as in interesting, or good as in a decent human being? Because I'm pretty sure Zaeed's a psychopath. But, if he should just happen to break onto my ship and murder Kaidan and steal his room, though, I'm not in a position to turn down any help I can get.

Good as in a consistent fan-favorite I suppose. We joke about Tali's sweat but let's not forget Kaidan has the brow that launched a million glistening posts too. I think Miranda managed to be *almost* universally reviled and Jason universally forgotten (on average anyway, I'm sure they have fans somewhere). Even James had issues coming in as the new guy.

Face it guys, humans blow except for honorary protheans and spooky kleptomaniacs.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

hard counter posted:

Jason universally forgotten

:allears:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really, the only thing that felt memorable about Jackson was his loyalty mission, and even that was more about the situation itself, not his own reactions to it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The most memorable things about Jeremy was that Kasumi had the hots for him that he did crunches while watching asari porn.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Poil posted:

Maybe, I never got to play around with those two. Since they never made any dlc for the steam version. :argh:

They actually did but it's a pain in the rear end.

You have to buy it off of the bioware social network website and that will give you an individual installer that will install it onto your steam installation.

And you have to do this for EVERY single piece of Downloadable Content for Mass Effect 2.

Refresh my memory, who was Josh again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Instant Sunrise posted:

They actually did but it's a pain in the rear end.

You have to buy it off of the bioware social network website and that will give you an individual installer that will install it onto your steam installation.

And you have to do this for EVERY single piece of Downloadable Content for Mass Effect 2.

Refresh my memory, who was Josh again?

You know, dad issues like the rest and had a drinking problem?

• Locked thread