Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Cody increasingly has seemed like he does not give a single poo poo about in-ring work as Stardust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Halloween Jack posted:

I used to really like Cody's ringwork; has he really gotten bad?

He was never above good in the ring. Never had a great singles match.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

If you would have told me 5 years ago that Cody's near 50 year old brother would be a better worker and character than he is I would have thought you were trolling

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I used to really like Cody's ringwork; has he really gotten bad?

Stardust really needs a storyline to make sense, I think. Cody doesn't tend to bring his character's personality into his ring work if the match isn't part of a cool or weird storyline. Regular Midcard Wrestler Stardust is a bad thing.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Cody Rhodes & Dolph Ziggler as a face tag team that wears stupid uniforms and never talks is pretty over in another dimension.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HerraS posted:

yeah, he doesn't spend five hours putting on his tv facepaint for every house show in the middle of bumfuck nowhere

I know this is pages ago but I went to a house show recently; Goldust showed up to save R-Truth from a beatdown wearing his full makeup and costume. He was out there for all of 2 minutes. Maybe they did some interview taping while he was there?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

There are a lot of guys in the WWE like Sandow, Stardust, Ziggler and even Bray, to an extent, that have plenty of skill but after so much time spent doing nothing have just sort of stagnated, and it's hard to blame them--so much of what makes wrestling matter is the context of what you're doing, and if you're Stardust, the gently caress is your context for anything? It's not like you've even got an opportunity to steal the show or make any progress for yourself.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Any thought of a Stardust push ended when they abruptly canceled his feud with Goldust last year (after a really bad match), and that has an effect on how good the matches are ever going to be from that point onward. Cody is pretty good but as the Stardust character he is completely floundering.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Is Stardust fighting Amell at WM?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The interview with Shelton Benjamin on a recent VIP Lounge is pretty illuminating about this kind of thing. How can you get really jazzed about a performance when after you do amazing stuff, you end up jobbing for nine months? That's what happened to Shelton after that amazing HBK match with that superkick. If he turns in amazing performances like that and his other stuff and just gets rewarded with jobbing or a Big Fat Momma gimmick, why bother trying hard? Just collect a paycheck, you'll never be allowed to be John Cena.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shelton could go in the ring but he had all the charisma of a wet towel. Ziggler is basically Shelton 2.0.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Timby posted:

Ziggler is basically Shelton 2.0.

please don't insult shelton x. benjamin like that

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Shelton is way cooler than Ziggler and beat Triple H clean on a random Raw once

I also bet Shelton would destroy Ziggler in video games which is the true metric for who's better

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Shelton had a couple of great matches with the Undertaker that no one talks about

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Shelton also hit the Beeboo Crawshanks on Chris Jericho. He is legend.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ostentatious posted:

If you would have told me 5 years ago that Cody's near 50 year old brother would be a better worker and character than he is I would have thought you were trolling

It was true five years ago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think Cody has ever been better than Dustin, unless you factor like, fat, drugged Dustin from TNA into it or something.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I always thought Cory had a lot of potential during his Rey feud. Also that wahhhahh theme of his was pretty good for a wrestling theme.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Judging someone for having a bad match with Stardust is like saying 'if John Cena is so strong, why can't he gorilla press slam The Big Show?'

He can FU Big Show and Edge at the same time which is just as good imo.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Alain Post posted:

I don't think Cody has ever been better than Dustin, unless you factor like, fat, drugged Dustin from TNA into it or something.
The great thing about forum smarks is that time and context don't mean poo poo to consensus. in 2011/2012 you'd probably see a few nerds big upping Goldust as a worker but before his career revival I remember the standard feeling being that he was always fat / an unremarkable worker / a good midcard hand who was buried with an embarrassing gimmick so who cares. He got better when he came back - he was clean and in the best shape of his life and toned down the gimmick mannerisms for storylines where he was featured as part of the Rhodes family.

Likewise, people don't like Stardust because he's a midcard hand buried with an embarrassing gimmick, and therefore has never been good. See also: The recent discovery that Dean Ambrose has always been a bad boring worker. It can't do for a know-it-all (which all smarks are) to be caught off-guard by some new change, so reanalysis of past events will always yield a new revelation that things were always as they were now. Better to take way too long to come to the correct judgment than be wrong at any point (if you're wrong about something that means you've been worked, the cruelest fate of the smart fan).

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 14, 2016

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Chromatic posted:

I always thought Cory had a lot of potential during his Rey feud. Also that wahhhahh theme of his was pretty good for a wrestling theme.

I mean, that's kind of the tragedy; between the Rey feud, the MITB feud with Sandow, the moment he and Ted almost turned on Randy Orton, the Authority turning on Dusty at their expense, the Brotherhood coming back white-hot against The Shield and the Stardust/Goldust feud there've been a half-dozen times they managed to get substantial organic crowd support behind a Cody Rhodes storyline and had the potential to seriously elevate him, and then every single time they've just gone "ehhh" at the last minute and unceremoniously dropped it.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Keep in mind I am not trying to big up poo poo. All I really know is fifteen years ago and this past year (plus whatever I am able to watch a few years back for context). In a business as physically demanding as wrestling I would expect someone who is as old as Goldust to begin dulling skill wise due to physical wear (regardless of his style) and someone who is as young as Cody to begin entering their prime as a performer.

The fact that a guy who has been wrestling professionally for almost 30 years and dealt with massive drug problems as well, to come back better than he ever was previously is drat near unprecedented. At least to me.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

fuckin whatever if stardust is good or not the point is he had a lovely match where he dominated sami throughout and that should not have happened

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

The great thing about forum smarks is that time and context don't mean poo poo to consensus. in 2011/2012 you'd probably see a few nerds big upping Goldust as a worker but before his career revival I remember the standard feeling being that he was always fat / an unremarkable worker / a good midcard hand who was buried with an embarrassing gimmick so who cares. He got better when he came back - he was clean and in the best shape of his life and toned down the gimmick mannerisms for storylines where he was featured as part of the Rhodes family.

Likewise, people don't like Stardust because he's a midcard hand buried with an embarrassing gimmick, and therefore has never been good. See also: The recent discovery that Dean Ambrose has always been a bad boring worker. It can't do for a know-it-all (which all smarks are) to be caught off-guard by some new change, so reanalysis of past events will always yield a new revelation that things were always as they were now. Better to take way too long to come to the correct judgment than be wrong at any point (if you're wrong about something that means you've been worked, the cruelest fate of the smart fan).

To be fair this is all of the internet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Alain Post posted:

The style of wrestling was different in Dustin's "prime." His style was pretty old-school heelish, which helped get heat on the character. On a superficial level it doesn't compare to Cody doing flying kicks off the turnbuckle and such.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's always amazing to me watching wrestlers from TNA come to NXT and immediately start losing weight and looking better. Samoa Joe, Rhyno, etc. poo poo, even James Storm was losing his paunch before he decided to reveal himself as the biggest idiot in wrestling by going back to Dixie.

EDIT: I realize Goldust was never in NXT, so that's more of a general "coming from TNA" example.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's always amazing to me watching wrestlers from TNA come to NXT and immediately start losing weight and looking better. Samoa Joe, Rhyno, etc. poo poo, even James Storm was losing his paunch before he decided to reveal himself as the biggest idiot in wrestling by going back to Dixie.

EDIT: I realize Goldust was never in NXT, so that's more of a general "coming from TNA" example.

To be fair to Storm, (I think) he got a lot more money than NXT would have gotten him, and his contract is a guaranteed deal with Panda rather than TNA so all those pesky things like 'TNA does like 8 shows a year' and 'maybe TNA will die' mean nothing to him, if anything the company dying means he gets paid to do nothing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Great White Hope posted:

To be fair to Storm, (I think) he got a lot more money than NXT would have gotten him, and his contract is a guaranteed deal with Panda rather than TNA so all those pesky things like 'TNA does like 8 shows a year' and 'maybe TNA will die' mean nothing to him, if anything the company dying means he gets paid to do nothing.

If that's true, then he's Kevin Nash-smart.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
What are some great Orton matches? I've never liked him but I figure I should see him at his best if there's so many people who do. I watched his Backlash match with Mick Foley recently and enjoyed it, are there others that spring to mind for showing him at his best?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Orton had a good match with Angle at One Night Stand '06.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

His match with Seth at last year's Mania was great

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Is SHIMMER any good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Is SHIMMER any good?

Been a while since I kept up, but it had a lot in common with a lot of the better indies, and NXT, at the beginning. Simple, basic wrestling stories with a mix of veteran, great and green talent. It's certainly worth looking up the matches Rebecca Knox/Becky Lynch had there before she got hurt and had to take years off from in-ring work.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ParanoidInc posted:

What are some great Orton matches? I've never liked him but I figure I should see him at his best if there's so many people who do. I watched his Backlash match with Mick Foley recently and enjoyed it, are there others that spring to mind for showing him at his best?

Him and Cena against THE ENTIRE RAW ROSTER was pretty great, especially when they broke out an AARKO spot.

I seem to recall his Last Man Standing match at No Mercy '07 holding up well. And, of course, there's him vs. Batista and Bryan at WM30.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 14, 2016

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Timby posted:

And, of course, there's him vs. Batista and Bryan at WM30.

I'm a Randy Orton anti-fan, but Orton deserves all the respect in the world for finishing that match after the botched table spot.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Claytor posted:

I'm a Randy Orton anti-fan, but Orton deserves all the respect in the world for finishing that match after the botched table spot.
god that was hideous :gonk:

and then he let Batista throw him around straight after

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Street Fight he and Bryan had leading into Mania 30 was pretty good with the kendo stick submissions.

Also it's not a match, but that gif of him slamming somebody then doing this weird jumping-jack fistpump combo was pretty funny.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Claytor posted:

I haven't re-watched it in ages -- was that the botch where he basically launched his kidneys straight into one of the monitors?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WWE Rivalries needs an episode on Orton v Tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Orton had a really good series of matches with Christian in 2011, they kept continuity from previous matches by countering moves, then countering the counters in the next match and so on.