Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

HARVICK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

HELL YES

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

2016 is shaping up good for rad as gently caress finishes

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A Good Race.

If Edwards keeps it straight instead of leaning on him, he probably wins.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Another bad race overshadowed by a good finish. NASCAR is good at those. There's no point in even watching the first 90% of the race.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

L_Harrison posted:

Another bad race overshadowed by a good finish. NASCAR is good at those. There's no point in even watching the first 90% of the race.

Doesn't matter to me as long as finishes own. It means the package is doing its job and the drivers are waiting til it counts to get racey which I always thought was a valid strategy in racing, but what do I know?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I want to live in the dream world where historically, NASCAR races had 90% door handle rubbing racing more than now

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I want to live in the dream world where historically, NASCAR races had 90% door handle rubbing racing more than now

Pretty much this, lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
good racing isn't about door handle rubbing lap after lap, it's about things happening during 90% of the race other than boring 60-lap runs punctuated by debris cautions or RF failures. that endurance-race feel where leaders come and go, and you get a nice narrative out of it.

anyway it's disingenuous for me to criticism that race since I don't watch anymore, but I will say that I'd take a good race with a bad finish over a bad race with a great finish, every day

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Every Cup race is fantastic if you use the Xfinity race before it as a benchmark. Perspective!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Xfinity might actually be the worst racing series on the planet, but I haven't seen a WTCC or DTM race for a while

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean, just lol if you think people weren't taking lazy summer naps during a race in 1987 waiting for the last 50 laps

it's like Earnhardt died and everyone forgot prior to 2000

e- also the race today was average to decent, with one of the best finishes in recent memory, shut up nerds jesus christ

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol if you're complaining about the race today.

Harry J
Nov 8, 2004

LS-WHAT???!!!!????!!!!
No wonder NASCAR hates its old fans.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The absolutely greatest thing about this season so far is NASCAR cutting back on debris cautions majorly, and the loving immediate bitching about long green runs being boring that followed.

e- There's a guy in our Facebook group that made a post bitching about Vegas being boring and how he turned it off, then he unironically posted the TV ratings the next day as proof NASCAR was collapsing. That's the average NASCAR fan.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 14, 2016

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Best Bromance of the year. https://www.facebook.com/NASCAR/videos/10153706074608801/

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I didn't watch the race because gently caress Donald Trump and gently caress every single nascar driver for not walking out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I watched because what the gently caress do I care what a bunch of glorified stuntmen think about politics

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

I watched because what the gently caress do I care what a bunch of glorified stuntmen think about politics

That's fine.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NASCAR is an event where a bunch of people who support trump put their lives on the line for my entertainment. i don't see the problem with this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/ralphsheheen/status/709821304111665152

Testifying against the bill banning conversion of street cars to racecars.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/ralphsheheen/status/709821304111665152

Testifying against the bill banning conversion of street cars to racecars.

I am for the bill and against Trump.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I still maintain that's one of the dumbest pieces of potential legislation I've ever seen.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Why?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20160315a

quote:

"As we go forward now, obviously we never want to have to suspend someone, we're going to have look at the technology. It's very difficult to police, but you could have almost a no-contact rule. That would be hard to police, but we could put that in place. It is something we're looking at. We wanted to see how Phoenix went, and we'll kind of evaluate what teams are doing with all the technologies that they have in place and see what we can and can't monitor on a fair manner and go from there."

NSACAR. :allears: :tinfoil:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

because it was clarifying an existing law and they somehow made an entire industry assume they were writing a new one

like, they tried to do something and the complete opposite happened

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Long green runs are fantastic I like those :)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

because it was clarifying an existing law and they somehow made an entire industry assume they were writing a new one

like, they tried to do something and the complete opposite happened

Is that the legislation's fault or the fault of dumbass tinfoil wearing jerkoffs who think the GUBMINT is coming for their guns hood scoops?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

Is that the legislation's fault or the fault of dumbass tinfoil wearing jerkoffs who think the GUBMINT is coming for their guns hood scoops?

I would say the legislation, as they could have added wording like "if you modify a street car for racing and remove emissions equipment and then drive it on the street, it's illegal"

they still haven't done this, despite that being their goal when they wrote it

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Isn't driving a non street legal car on the street illegal even if it never used to be a street car? Anyway get this politics out of my NASCAR is boring and only dummies watch it NASCAR thread. Jimmy Johnson number 1!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it was illegal decades ago and everyone knew this

it's also an attempt to shut down bros rolling coal, which could have been accomplished on its own

the EPA has been dumb forever, this is the same organization that figured out leaded gas burning muscle cars produced particulate emissions when they used a Superbird to trail airliners taking off to measure their pollutants

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Actually the extent of lead in the atmosphere from leaded gas was discovered when people were trying to determine the age of the earth and it was contaminating their poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I don't mean just lead, I mean the EPA had no concept car engines polluted in any regard until it was fouling their sniffer test

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I find that very hard to believe. That sounds like a facebook post.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

I find that very hard to believe. That sounds like a facebook post.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-1970-plymouth-superbird-that-helped-the-epa-clear-the-air-heads-to-auction/

Kerosene, unlike gasoline of that era, did not have lead in it. When the EPA picked up the lead particulates while testing airliner emissions, they realized that automobiles polluted far worse than anyone thought

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

It doesn't really say what you said, "the epa didn't know cars polluted" but it's a neat story so whatever.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There are certainly better articles in print than on the internet, it's a fairly famous car. If I can find some of my old Mopar rags with it I'll scan them in.

That article doesn't really spell it out, true, I'll take that hit. Also yeah, they obviously knew stuff was in auto exhaust. The fact that they were doing early work on emissions and the first target they picked was the airline industry is pretty telling on how clueless they were.

The levels of lead and other particulates contaminating the sniffer on the nose of the 'Bird, at speed, alarmed them to such a level that it changed the focus of their investigation immediately and led to the first EPA auto regs in 1973.

Meanwhile, any idiot back then would have told you to start with cars first due to the economy of scale.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finally caught up on the race

1) No fake debris cautions make such a great difference.
2) I like the new aero rules based on what I've seen.
3) Dat finish :getin:

VikingSkull posted:

e- also the race today was average to decent, with one of the best finishes in recent memory, shut up nerds jesus christ

lmao

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Bees have infested the Fontana flag stand

https://twitter.com/NASCARONFOX/status/710952716126822400