Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

"Downloads of this size aren't uncommon" - a guy who has never participated in any other pre-release game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Apparently trying to play the alpha with bandwidth caps is the equivalent of trying to play on a Pentium? :iiam:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
ARSEHOLES

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

maybe i'm stupid but i just can't understand this uh, logic.

1. i don't understand why he thinks it's okay to have to download 30gb of the same bullshit every new update and 2. why he thinks that if he's convinced he's having a positive experience then that means everything is okay.

this is the SC equivalent of "maybe the game just isn't for you" when people try and complain about any issues in Elite D. i love ED but the game has flaws and trying to discuss that with people (usually on reddit) almost always begins or ends with the objector telling you the game "just isn't for you".

if i think everything is okay, then everything is okay. if you can't see everything is okay well then maybe you just don't understand game development.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Going on that thread has filled me with some serious righteous indignation,the loving smugness of those wankers.......and the poo poo that they're chatting....

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sundowner posted:

1. i don't understand why he thinks it's okay to have to download 30gb of the same bullshit every new update and 2. why he thinks that if he's convinced he's having a positive experience then that means everything is okay.

this is the SC equivalent of "maybe the game just isn't for you" when people try and complain about any issues in Elite D. i love ED but the game has flaws and trying to discuss that with people (usually on reddit) almost always begins or ends with the objector telling you the game "just isn't for you".

if i think everything is okay, then everything is okay. if you can't see everything is okay well then maybe you just don't understand game development.

I'm ok with people using the "maybe the game isn't for you" argument as long as they don't also try to claim it's the greatest game ever. SC alpha is in a really lovely state, but you still have people saying that it's currently better than any other game out there. It's loving bizarre.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Sundowner posted:

Trying to have a discussion on reddit is usually futile, regardless the subject. But the SC subreddit seems worse than most. You literally can't voice any criticism without downvoting and being accused of being Derek Smart. Even former employees critic like David Jannisons letter, Lizzy Finnengans article and the recent interview with Rod Iriving, is somehow Derek Smart and can therefore be ignored.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Chalks posted:

I'm ok with people using the "maybe the game isn't for you" argument as long as they don't also try to claim it's the greatest game ever. SC alpha is in a really lovely state, but you still have people saying that it's currently better than any other game out there. It's loving bizarre.

no the "maybe the game isn't for you" is the dumbest argument ever and is the video game equivalent to calling a film pretentious in liue of a valid, even barely thought out criticism. it's a lazy way to shew away people from the game because they might have a problem with it.

being able to acknowledge flaws in something you enjoy is perfectly fine but it scares some people to think they might have to acknowledge Their Favourite Thing might not be immaculate. ED is no different, it's a great but flawed game and lots of die hard fans hate to admit that and so assume everyone else just doesn't "get it".

Atreiden posted:

Trying to have a discussion on reddit is usually futile, regardless the subject. But the SC subreddit seems worse than most. You literally can't voice any criticism without downvoting and being accused of being Derek Smart. Even former employees critic like David Jannisons letter, Lizzy Finnengans article and the recent interview with Rod Iriving, is somehow Derek Smart and can therefore be ignored.

that's true, i've given up on trying to talk about ED on reddit and just use it as as place to look at dumb pictures and videos rather than a place that might be reasonable but the subreddit is a far shot better than the Frontier forums which is effectively a bunch of old farts moaning about everyone and everything except their perfect favourite space sim and any objectors might as well either be idiots or millennials.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
drunken movie bullshit continued

freddie prinzzzze jr arm > massive vaccum of space
frosted tips is NOT immume to vacuum of space, is seriously injured long enough to monologue, promptly forgotten. Dead? Will keep an eye out.
lost star marine footage found, looks to be some kind of interactive movie ARG
the once and future prinze is apparently the main character because he was literally born to be. boring & lazy
i can definitely see a cool deep-sea submarine type drama out of this if it was made by anyone else.
oh god this is the first time ive noticed the main characters name is chris. gently caress this poo poo so much
nothing of significance has happened in 20 minutes (reallly the whole loving movie) and im falling asleep
crobberts salute, good night sweet prinze

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So I compiled all of the questions for the chairman from the last 12 months into a list.

There are 240 questions in total
Of those 240 questions, 160 of them relate directly to a feature or in-game mechanic
Of those 160 features & mechanics, 154 of them are not currently implemented and 6 of them I don't know whether they're in the game yet or not

The 6 unknowns are:
- Travelling without the quantum drive
- Ship parking in the PU
- Travelling in fleets
- Open space travel
- Extreme ship maneuvures
- Getting everyone in the same instance

Is it actually possible that of the 160 features that Chris has communicated to his backers over the last 12 months, exactly 0% have been implemented?

The most recurring questions relate to:
- Procedural tech
- Linux version
- NPC AI
- VR headsets

I don't know if I can be arsed to go through all of them and see if any of these 160 features are NOT planned - I'm working on the assumption that he's answered all of these with a 'yes it's coming' sort of thing, which seems to be a fairly safe bet.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

This. I find it somewhat frustrating when they simultaneously claim "it's pre-alpha, no poo poo there are lots of problems but it's pre-alpha; everything's excusable in a pre-alpha you whiny entitled butthurt snowflake (pre-alpha)" and "wow I've never had a more fulfilling moment in my life than the weeks I've spent on meaningful gameplay in the glorious TWO POINT TWO I'm really impressed with the stability and the dedication obvious from the steadily progressing content and fixes"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Chalks posted:

I think the problem is when it's used as an argument, and not a way to agree to disagree about something.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I think you're all going to love this

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/322207/road-to-the-finish-line-the-sc-completion-tracking-thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Someone refer the honorable gentleman to the answer that Chris gave 2 weeks ago

Q: Are there any plans to streamline patch sizes?

A: So yes absolutely we have a plan in fact I sat down ah earlier this week which would be the previous week to you seeing this cos we're recording this on Friday and you um watch us on Monday, ehm but ehmmmm yeah I think we have a really aahhh cool plan that's very configured to ah our new development paradigm ah, you know, ah, not saying new for us but sort of the new paradigm of what WE'RE doing which is constantly ehm, you know, building, testing, DEPLOYING ah both internally and then externally to, ah, you know, you guys in the community ahm first level and so the um public test universe the PTU and then of course the
live and so, you know we need a solution that we can be... BUILDING rapidly and iterating rapidly and getting to as efficiently as possible and our current one is not the best, cos it has the sort of big monolithic pack files, each pack file... is... two gigs, and there's quite a few of 'em, and if one file changes in it you have to build the whole pack file and the way our... BUILD SYSTEM works and all the DATA is we have to rebuild all the DATA, ah, into the pack files right now, ah ...

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SomethingJones posted:

So I compiled all of the questions for the chairman from the last 12 months into a list.

Of those 240 questions, 160 of them relate directly to a feature or in-game mechanic
Of those 160 features & mechanics, 154 of them are not currently implemented and 6 of them I don't know whether they're in the game yet or not

The 6 unknowns are:
- Ship parking in the PU
- Travelling in fleets
- Open space travel

Is it actually possible that of the 160 features that Chris has communicated to his backers over the last 12 months, exactly 0% have been implemented?

- Procedural tech
- Linux version
- NPC AI
- VR headsets

I don't know if I can be arsed to go through all of them and see if any of these 160 features are NOT planned - I'm working on the assumption that he's answered all of these with a 'yes it's coming' sort of thing, which seems to be a fairly safe bet.

Whoa, that's some digging you done. Got a list you could google drive for us suckers to add information to?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think the problem is when it's used as an argument, and not a way to agree to disagree about something.

It's really not a very good argument, unless it's used against someone who wants features they obviously haven't promised and aren't aiming for. I see it used against people who complain about them not delivering what they promised, which is just stupid. A better argument then would be "well, maybe this isn't the game for CIG then"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wait! wat!?

I guess math is hard after all.

ps: Those wankers have no clue how the financial aspects of PC game sales work.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Wait! wat!?

I guess math is hard after all.

ps: Those wankers have no clue how the financial aspects of PC game sales work.

How much do your games sell, Derek?

Do you get on the charts, or do you have more of a dedicated space grognard following?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

I'll start the list for them:

☑ Creation Of The Known Universe
☑ Creation Of The One True Gob Chris Roberts
☑ Chris Roberts Creates Wing Commander
☑ Chris Roberts has pavlovian fever dreams, the concept for Star Citizen is born
☑ Chris Roberts Creates Freelancer
☑ Chris Roberts has a successful Hollywood career
☑ Chris Roberts meets wife Sandi who is the best sales woman in the world and has been since she was a little girl
☑ Chris Roberts creates ~The Vision List~
☑ Chris Roberts helms the most successful crowdfunding project (not just game) in history
☑ Licensing Rights to Cryengine secured
☑ Implementation of 64bit precision

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

The 6 unknowns are:
- Ship parking in the PU
- Travelling in fleets
- Open space travel

- Procedural tech
- Linux version
- NPC AI
- VR headsets

This is an amazing stat, even if it's above 0% somehow

also, you may want to see a therapist about any PTSD incurred from this exercise.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sundowner posted:

I'll start the list for them:

• $1 million ACCIEVED
  • $2 million ACCIEVED
  • $3 million ACCIEVED
  • $110 million ACCIEVED

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sundowner posted:

no the "maybe the game isn't for you" is the dumbest argument ever and is the video game equivalent to calling a film pretentious in liue of a valid, even barely thought out criticism. it's a lazy way to shew away people from the game because they might have a problem with it.

being able to acknowledge flaws in something you enjoy is perfectly fine but it scares some people to think they might have to acknowledge Their Favourite Thing might not be immaculate. ED is no different, it's a great but flawed game and lots of die hard fans hate to admit that and so assume everyone else just doesn't "get it".

I disagree. I played E:D, it was slow paced and relaxing and I really enjoyed it. If you played it and said "holy gently caress this is so boring" I would say that this is a fair assessment of the game from your perspective. It would be clear that you don't enjoy games that are this slow paced whereas I do and thus, maybe the game isn't for you.

It's not a flaw in the game, specifically, so long as they did not intend for it to be fast paced and did not intend for it to appeal to people who want an action packed game.

No matter what the game is, you will find people who don't like it for a reason that's fundamental to its design. I find MOBAs to be far too stressful and action packed - but I wouldn't try to claim that this is a flaw in their design and I know that if they were slower then people would find them too slow.

You're not going to find E:D developers saying "oh, poo poo, it's slow, we need to fix this" - it's intended and some people like it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Whoa, that's some digging you done. Got a list you could google drive for us suckers to add information to?

ODS Openoffice format
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7SGOOEBBxDCa09lMVJRNUNhdHM/view?usp=sharing

Excel format
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7SGOOEBBxDCOExKVG9qX1pBclk/view?usp=sharing

Flat text file containing just the questions & dates
http://pastebin.com/hXjqrT31

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/321639/im-starting-to-get-really-really-worried/p2

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Chalks posted:

I disagree. I played E:D, it was slow paced and relaxing and I really enjoyed it. If you played it and said "holy gently caress this is so boring" I would say that this is a fair assessment of the game from your perspective. It would be clear that you don't enjoy games that are this slow paced whereas I do and thus, maybe the game isn't for you.

It's not a flaw in the game, specifically, so long as they did not intend for it to be fast paced and did not intend for it to appeal to people who want an action packed game.

No matter what the game is, you will find people who don't like it for a reason that's fundamental to its design. I find MOBAs to be far too stressful and action packed - but I wouldn't try to claim that this is a flaw in their design and I know that if they were slower then people would find them too slow.

You're not going to find E:D developers saying "oh, poo poo, it's slow, we need to fix this" - it's intended and some people like it.

I love ED for it's very specific design philosophy. I like that it's slow... poo poo I can could spend hours blasting asteroids with a laser and collecting rocks to sell. But there are issues with their implemented features that Frontier themselves acknowledge but some fans just can't wrap their head around. I have issues with what's in the game, not what I think the game should be or should include or should account for.

I've been told the game isn't for me simply because I took issue with their hosed up half baked mission system. It's usually the people like to think you have to solely "make your own fun" (I don't have an issue with that ideal on the surface) despite the fact that their own ideology for the game flies counter to core elements within the game itself. The game has missions, bounties, a law system, a political system but if you have an issue with how any of those are implemented, well... "maybe the game just isn't for you".

It's a half-witted response people give when they can't come up with an actual counter argument or can't disprove you.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 14, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

[quote="SomethingJones" post="457413874"]
ODS Openoffice format
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7SGOOEBBxDCa09lMVJRNUNhdHM/view?usp=sharing

Excel format
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7SGOOEBBxDCOExKVG9qX1pBclk/view?usp=sharing

Flat text file containing just the questions & dates
http://pastebin.com/hXjqrT31

a true hero of the laxy

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sundowner posted:

I love ED for it's very specific design philosophy. I like that it's slow... poo poo I can could spend hours blasting asteroids with a laser and collecting rocks to sell. But there are issues with their implemented features that Frontier themselves acknowledge but some fans just can't wrap their head around. I have issues with what's in the game, not what I think the game should be or should include or should account for.

I've been told the game isn't for me simply because I took issue with their hosed up half baked mission system. It's usually the people like to think you have to solely "make your own fun" (I don't have an issue with that ideal on the surface) despite the fact that their own ideology for the game flies counter to core elements within the game itself. The game has missions, bounties, a law system, a political system but if you have an issue with how any of those are implemented, well... "maybe the game just isn't for you".

It's a half-witted response people give when they can't come up with an actual counter argument or can't disprove you.

A lot of them are in "how can I best protect the game from this criticism" mode, a lot of the more reasonable people must have burned out

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:eyepop: Be careful not to fly too close to that sun, young Icarus

Now we just need to make some scope graphs and videos :getin:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sundowner posted:

It's a half-witted response people give when they can't come up with an actual counter argument.

I guess it depends what you're complaining about. 99% of complaints I've read talk about it being boring and slow. Responding to that with it not being the game for them seems entirely fair and I'm not sure there's a more refined point to be made. I mean maybe people use that argument when someone complains about some of the poorly implemented aspects of the game but generally I see it used in the context I used it.

I don't know how to respond to someone who thinks something that I enjoy is too slow besides acknowledging that they probably just enjoy different things to me. I think trying to come up with a counter argument to convince them that actually they're wrong and they do like it will probably be ineffectual.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

A lot of them are in "how can I best protect the game from this criticism" mode, a lot of the more reasonable people must have burned out

It must be this. I understand not wanting people to get the wrong idea about something you like but it feels lazy and disingenuous to just shut people out because they might not "get it".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

:vince: :bravo:

Son, you've arrived. That was outstanding! Going to tweet that today and see how many Spergs (most are blocked) inject themselves in my followers feeds in protest.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

Here is an early pre-pre-pre alpha screenshot showing that Star Citizen has been in development since 1902

I think you will recognise the fideltiousness and also the paarp.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dante80 posted:

So..a guy finally snapped.

quote:

How many times are we going to be told to "take a break"? until 2020?

Nobody who is currently on the "Negative Bandwagon" are suggesting a strict time line, but at this point in time there is a much bigger concern ... not about time taken .... but about confidence/competency to deliver anything based on the pretty heavy amount of mistakes/delays/terrible predictions and blatant hyping features that they never intended to deliver around the time of them hyping said features.

This is more about a vote of no confidence than a need to "take a break" .... many people are pointing out a great deal of varied inconsistencies, the lack of ability to communicate design concepts, the withholding of "content" paid for over 3 years ago (IDRIS) .... the 6 months delays on pretty much every element....

If you made a tally of features/deadlines/estimates hyped, on wether thye hit or miss ... they'd pretty much be all misses.

Why have we no working A.I yet?

Why despite Nyx being on its final "Lighting pass" have we not seen ANY GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE of it? why no A.I despite talking about it for 2 years solid? why cant they make a temporary hyper-drive location to nyx isntead of spout this "oh we need to build stanton first before nyx can be shown" ... yea not what they were saying SIX MONTHS AGO.

Terra? oh that thing that was well underway .... only 2-3 art pictures in 18-24 months.

Where are those NPCs that were shown over a year ago? oh right ... it was faked.... again.

EScape pods? nope sorry, that video rehashed 2 years running was faked... again.

2016? "we are now looking into small mining/scavenging ships to test other roles" ... what, you mean it didn't occur to you to START with these ships instead of selling a £600 mining ship that probably won't be made until 2018?

Again, time isn't an issue, confidence on delivery is FAR bigger now. "Taking a break" doesn't fix anything.

In OCTOBER 2015 - "Shopping is around the corner, then nyx in november to test NPCs etc" .....

In MARCH 2016 - "Don't expect shopping in 2.3, 2.4 or 2.5" (so basically WAIT ANOTHER 4 MONTHS). "Also, don't expect Nyx until we build out stanton completely... for reasons...."

This is happening constantly..... hype, no delivery, hype, no delivery .... release something almost unworkable and fix it to a compentant state in 6 months ... maybe show a video of another unfinished feature to WOW the audience then repeat.....

constant bait and switch.

Transparency? showing a "Art Sneak Peek" once a week. and telling us about all the unfinished work ( again, whats the point in having the heads of each department talk about what they are doing? they never seem to show anything ... show us what you are doing... for gods sake.)

Do you have a link to that thread? I can't find it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How does this keep happening.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

Special bonus parp wars jpeg, Jaben The Hutt:

That's what should've been in the poster I think. With Sean Tracy as Darth

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

his nibs posted:

I don't know much about open game development but there seems a lot wrong with this

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/322169/star-citizen-a-victim-of-early-access/p3

"...it's just adding features and content."

For backers who want Second Life in Space.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Good morning star citizen thread

happy monday

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Renegret posted:

Good morning star citizen thread

happy monday

Jokes on you, my Monday's almost over.

It was also a public holiday. Back to studying tomorrow :(

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Jokes on you, my Monday's almost over.

It was also a public holiday. Back to studying tomorrow :(

I am at work so I look forward to a lot of good star citizen posts to keep me entertained so I can avoid actually doing work at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sad thing is if she's telling the truth, it's most likely for a movie, acting lessons or SQ42 shoot.

As an aside, that dude doesn't look old enough to have been a Vietnam vet. Plus I checked. Unless his Twitter name isn't his real name.

:negative:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/709360919894233089

• Locked thread