Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saukkis posted:

It might be useful for drives, but I'm not sure I would be completely happy when the OS tells me I have 34.3597 GB of RAM.

RAM is different; it's advertised as GB, but uses GiB for its real capacity.

Almighty Wikipedia posted:

The gigabyte (/ˈdʒɪɡəbaɪt/[1]) is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information. The prefix giga means 109 in the International System of Units (SI), therefore one gigabyte is 1000000000bytes. The unit symbol for the gigabyte is GB.

This definition is used in all contexts of science, engineering, business, and many areas of computing, including hard drive, solid state drive, and tape capacities, as well as data transmission speeds. However, the term is also used in some fields of computer science and information technology to denote 1073741824 (10243 or 230) bytes, particularly for sizes of RAM. The use of gigabyte is thus ambiguous. For semiconductor RAM, the gigabyte denotes 1073741824bytes. For hard drive capacities as described and marketed by the drive manufacturers, the gigabyte denotes 1000000000bytes, but when a 500-GB drive's capacity is displayed by, for example, Microsoft Windows, it is reported as 465 GB, where GB then means 1073741824bytes.

So it's dumb in the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

PerrineClostermann posted:

RAM is different; it's advertised as GB, but uses GiB for its real capacity.

Yes, there's difference in advertisements, but what is same with them is that both are built on powers of two. The basic units of drives are either 512 B or 4 kiB, 4.10 kB wouldn't be nearly as convenient. Fortunately the RAM manufacturers weren't able to cut the DIMMs short, they had to built them to full GiBs.

The size discrepancy on drives is annoying, but in the end it doesn't matter and you get used to it and won't feel cheated anymore.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

eightysixed posted:

autodl + cron, i would imagine. I've never used autodl, but probably should.

I can't find anything about how to configure the cron aspect of rutorrent...anybody know?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any good enclosures or small cabinets to put a NAS in? I find them to be too noisy, and there's probably a smarter idea than throwing a shirt or towel over it.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone here have any experience with unraid? I'm considering ditching my esx server which right now is just hosting a simple file server and a host for docker containers. All my irreplaceable data is backed up off site so the raid 4 setup doesn't concern me and would probably simplify things moving forward.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'd like to set up some a server at home for backups and running one or two programs to gently caress around with. I don't have much data I need to backup (<200gb) but I want some insurance incase I get hit with ransomewear.

I've been looking at hp microservers as I can pick up one with 2gb of memory for £160 though looking on eBay there's a ton of rackmount stuff for half that. Is there any reason I should just buy one of those as I've read the microservers aren't actually all that quiet anyway so would need hiding too.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Horn posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with unraid? I'm considering ditching my esx server which right now is just hosting a simple file server and a host for docker containers. All my irreplaceable data is backed up off site so the raid 4 setup doesn't concern me and would probably simplify things moving forward.

I ran an Unraid server for a few years, what are you worried about? It's not RAID4, the only thing it shares with RAID4 is the idea of a dedicated parity disk. The big difference with Unraid is that it doesn't stripe data to multiple disks, and this changes a few things significantly.

1. You can use different sized disks.
2. When writing, only 2 disks are used (parity and target data disk).
3. If multiple drives fail, you will only lose data on the failed drives. All other drives have their data intact and can in fact be move to other systems and mounted without issue.

The only real downsides to this is that your write performance is slow (bottlenecked by parity calculation speed and/or speed of parity disk), and doubly so for rearranging files between data disks.

Something Awesome
Feb 14, 2007
i mean awful
I am sure this is mentioned somewhere in this thread but drat is it long. Can I get a quick recommendation for the smallest at-minimum 4 3.5inch slot case? Space is a factor in my apartment but need to add some serious storage to heavily usenet leveraged setup.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Skandranon posted:

I ran an Unraid server for a few years, what are you worried about? It's not RAID4, the only thing it shares with RAID4 is the idea of a dedicated parity disk. The big difference with Unraid is that it doesn't stripe data to multiple disks, and this changes a few things significantly.

1. You can use different sized disks.
2. When writing, only 2 disks are used (parity and target data disk).
3. If multiple drives fail, you will only lose data on the failed drives. All other drives have their data intact and can in fact be move to other systems and mounted without issue.

The only real downsides to this is that your write performance is slow (bottlenecked by parity calculation speed and/or speed of parity disk), and doubly so for rearranging files between data disks.

Not really worried about anything in particular but just want to make sure there isn't a glaringly obvious reason to avoid unraid. I have a couple of SSDs lying around to use as cache drives so I'm not too worried about slow copy speeds. Then again this is just for serving up things to kodi so speed isn't all that important. I'm leaning towards waiting for 6.2 to be stable and then taking the plunge.

Is there a reason you stopped using it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Something Awesome posted:

I am sure this is mentioned somewhere in this thread but drat is it long. Can I get a quick recommendation for the smallest at-minimum 4 3.5inch slot case? Space is a factor in my apartment but need to add some serious storage to heavily usenet leveraged setup.
With removable drive caddies or not? If latter, then maybe the Lian-Li PC-Q25. Even has a backplane built-in.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Horn posted:

Not really worried about anything in particular but just want to make sure there isn't a glaringly obvious reason to avoid unraid. I have a couple of SSDs lying around to use as cache drives so I'm not too worried about slow copy speeds. Then again this is just for serving up things to kodi so speed isn't all that important. I'm leaning towards waiting for 6.2 to be stable and then taking the plunge.

Is there a reason you stopped using it?

A few, but nothing major. I moved to using SnapRaid, which is basically the same thing with a few tweaks. One of them is it supports multiple parity disks, as well as can run on multiple OS/FS. It's also easier to rearrange files because it doesn't do parity for every single write. But the basic premise is the same.

I'd try setting up a small one using the free licence, see how you like it. If you do decide to go whole hog, I have 2 licences I'm not using any more.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I like (and currently use) UNRAID; their latest beta supports 2 parity disks finally, but its super beta so I havent switched to it yet.

That being said if I ever decided to do it all over or make another server I'd probably just roll an xpenology box or buy a synology server.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

This has probably been answered somewhere in this thread, but I only noted a single reference on the first page: how useful are QNAPs for Windows and Mac home use? Is there a better appliance option? (in the 4-6 Disk Range).

My custom NAS server has decided to catch fire after about 10 years of loyal service and I'm not looking to spend a lot of time replacing it. I've already salvaged the disks and the data wasn't harmed, so I'll offload the information and build a new array in whichever direction I go with my existing hard drives (currently 5x Red 5TBs).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Anybody use Netgear ReadyNAS? I'm having a heck of a time sideloading software built for it, and their support forums are a mess.

I just want to upgrade Transmission.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Craptacular! posted:

Anybody use Netgear ReadyNAS? I'm having a heck of a time sideloading software built for it, and their support forums are a mess.

I just want to upgrade Transmission.

Take it from me as a former ReadyNAS user. Dump it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Take it from me as a former ReadyNAS user. Dump it.

Yeah same. My ReadyNAS NV died, as in the firmware boot stopped working, and none of my attempts to restore have worked. And the drives are unrecoverable on their own. Even the case is seized up and ejecting the drives is nearly impossible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Readynas support was the loving worst when I had one. features added that never worked.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why more people don't use Stablebit Drivepool on a Windows machine is beyond me. It has the same features as Unraid but uses windows and home built stuffs. Never had any data loss, never had any issues. Its real loving good.
https://stablebit.com/drivepool

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

redeyes posted:

Why more people don't use Stablebit Drivepool on a Windows machine is beyond me. It has the same features as Unraid but uses windows and home built stuffs. Never had any data loss, never had any issues. Its real loving good.
https://stablebit.com/drivepool

I'll tell you why I decided against it when I was migrating from Windows Home Server even though Drivepool was a natural progression from that. I wasn't about to trust my data to some small closed source company. I had no idea if their technology was good or not, but I didn't really have any confidence in them.

Now, years later, I'd probably give it serious consideration if I wanted to go back to a Windows system (but I don't).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Synology 6.0 is out, Do not click update if you are an xpenology user.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Lapre posted:

Synology 6.0 is out.

I updated a RS2416RP+ this morning that isn't doing anything. Upgrade went fine, will be doing some testing to see if I can get some better iSCSI performance.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'll tell you why I decided against it when I was migrating from Windows Home Server even though Drivepool was a natural progression from that. I wasn't about to trust my data to some small closed source company. I had no idea if their technology was good or not, but I didn't really have any confidence in them.

Now, years later, I'd probably give it serious consideration if I wanted to go back to a Windows system (but I don't).

I've been using it for a few years now and it's worked out well for me. Even had a couple disks died and did some expansions stuff and it worked out well.

Development has seemed to slow a bit, there's been a beta for about a year now that hasn't gone full release and the last update was sometime in October. Everything looks pretty solid though and I'd consider the product feature complete by this point.

The developer does use an activation server so if that ever goes down you may have some issues.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Don Lapre posted:

Synology 6.0 is out, Do not click update if you are an xpenology user.

I'm still on DSM 5.2-5565 Update 2, because I got all :tinfoil: 'y after reading about the 5.2-5644 fiasco :saddowns:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just turned off automatic updating because I'm in the middle of a huge new backup operation that's at least going to take another day to finish its first run.

I hope that if there's some huge issue with 6, that someone will have posted about it here by then.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
When a Synology is listed as nominally supporting 1080p transcoding, is it 1080 period, or only for some mediocre bitrate? I wouldn't be surprised it it turned out it couldn't do half my videos with decent results.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ufarn posted:

When a Synology is listed as nominally supporting 1080p transcoding, is it 1080 period, or only for some mediocre bitrate? I wouldn't be surprised it it turned out it couldn't do half my videos with decent results.

That must be with hardware acceleration, AKA Intel quicksync. Quicksync can chew on 1080p60 video all day long without any trouble, but Plex doesn't support quicksync at all so I hope you are using Emby and not Plex.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ufarn posted:

Some of the synologys have hardware transcoding for the built in applications.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Believe it was a DS415play I set my sights on. I don't have the new ATV so no native app - do people normally stream with Plex? I've got a PS4 and ATV3 (or whichever version is before the updated one).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The hardware transcoding does not work with plex and poo poo as far as i know.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don Lapre posted:

The hardware transcoding does not work with plex and poo poo as far as i know.

It works well with Emby, a Plex competitor that's pretty feature-equal.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

It works well with Emby, a Plex competitor that's pretty feature-equal.
How would streaming to my TV work in that case? I can't see a PS4 or ATV app, which I assume would be the go-to interface.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ufarn posted:

How would streaming to my TV work in that case? I can't see a PS4 or ATV app, which I assume would be the go-to interface.

Chromecast probably.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ufarn posted:

Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Upgraded my DS415+ to DSM6.0 last night. Most things worked OK, except that the initial upgrade kept failing until I stopped Plex (missed the error the first time, then had to redownload the update for each subsequent attempt on our lovely home ADSL).

After the upgrade my resolve.conf was hosed up (was pointing to itself rather than my gateway) so it lost internet connectivity. Fixed that via SSH and all is well again.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
DSM 6 breaks CrashPlan pretty badly.

Makes me want to get rid of this loving DS214 and get a FreeNAS box.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Does DSM 6.0 use btrfs on the low end units, like the 216J? I've been googling around but I can't find a clear answer anywhere.

e: Nope!

Sphyre fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 25, 2016

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

DSM 6 breaks CrashPlan pretty badly.

Makes me want to get rid of this loving DS214 and get a FreeNAS box.

bin/CrashPlanEngine file needs execute permission now. Then it should start up. Then you might get the usual Crashplan version update errors, restart Crashplan a couple of times let it repair and continue on mine without the usual manual intervention of messing with jar files.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Finally started settling on some parts. Can I get a FreeNAS build sanity check?

Stuff I have to reuse
Hard Drives: 2x TOSHIBA 5TB 3.5 Desktop SATA 7200RPM
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case

Stuff to buy
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($252.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: 4x Western Digital Red 5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($194.99 @ Amazon)

These parts aren’t on Parts Picker yet:
Motherboard: Asrock Rack D2I (Newegg)
Memory: Samsung DDR4-2133 16GB/2Gx72 ECC CL15 Samsung Chip Server Memory
Alternative Memory pick Super Talent DDR4-2133 16GB/1Gx72 ECC CL15 Samsung Chip Server Memory (Same chips as the above, but $18 less)
Those were the only 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMMs I've found, so that's an easy choice

and

Boot Drives 2x SanDisk UltraFit 16GB
From reading their forums I guess they're moving away from USB sticks for boot but should be fine for now? I guess I can always get an M.2 drive later on, even if it means I'd have to get a SATA controller card to keep using the 6 drive pool. Moving the controller the drives are on won't gently caress up the pool will it?

Alternatively I could still go with this board, $60 cheaper, no IPMI (which I think I could live without), but has 8 SATA ports. And just get a lil SATA DOM guy.
Motherboard: ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been reading this thread in chunks, sometimes a year or more apart, so I just wanted to go over some general practices. I'm wanting to consolidate storage and get my main PC back to just being a normal PC. Currently I have JBODs hanging off my Win10 box sharing out media via SMB. The same box also hosts a couple nix VMs for loving around... I'd like to move all that out.

Taking from current PC:
2x3TB WD Red Drives
1x2 WD Red Drives
256GB SSD

Putting into NAS Silverstone DS380:
new 5x5TB WD Red Drives (I'm guessing RAID-Z2 for about 11TiB usable)
2x3TB WD Red Drives (I can figure something to put on here...)
1x2TB WD Red Drives (put my VM images here?)
256GB SSD (Host OS)

Then run CrashPlan on the FreeNAS install, have a VM for Emby and all that, and one dev VM or whatever.

Questions:
Should I just run FreeBSD as a host OS, and run FreeNAS in a VM with the eventual ZFS pools? Or is that a huge pain and should I just make the host OS be FreeNAS?
Should I put my VMs in that 2x3TB pool and just do drive mirroring?
Or... just keep the projects dirs in my VMs that I actually care about in version control or something because who cares if you lose a VM.

If you see anything else that's dumb or you'd change about this general plan, I'd like your thoughts.

Hed fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
FreeNAS 9.x only needs an 8GB USB stick, so you don't need a huge SSD. However you could split it into 64GB and 192GB and use latter as L2ARC (which is an overly generous amount for home/SOHO, but needs like half a gig or more of RAM for management structures).