Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the series literally closes on a trilogy where the female lead can't remember who she is or that she has superpowers and also everyone is magically incapable of remembering her or their interactions with her once she leaves her presence. he apparently felt this was an interesting enough gimmick to drag out for like 1800 pages. she spends most of that time panicking and having no idea what to do. i can't remember if she really does anything at all that displays any sort of agency in those three books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know who called it "gritty and realistic", but if supernatural elements are incompatible with that, the author didn't exactly pull a fast one on you late in the series. The supernatural was present in the prologue of the first book, if you didn't want to read books about that, why go past there? There's plenty of things to criticize but that doesn't seem like a very good one to me. The theme of magic returning to the world is cool and I suspect that it will end up being seen as a source of suffering, as the maesters believe. Too bad absolutely none of that will be ever be addressed because boobs and violence.

i said advertised (thought it does suck grrm didn't realize the only interesting stuff was the politics in the west).

and the video game demon's souls did magic returning to the world much better than georgie boy ever could.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

and the video game...did...much better
:goonsay:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

the series literally closes on a trilogy where the female lead can't remember who she is or that she has superpowers and also everyone is magically incapable of remembering her or their interactions with her once she leaves her presence. he apparently felt this was an interesting enough gimmick to drag out for like 1800 pages. she spends most of that time panicking and having no idea what to do. i can't remember if she really does anything at all that displays any sort of agency in those three books.

no man, theres more. it doesnt end there. he wrote more.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jsoh posted:

no man, theres more. it doesnt end there. he wrote more.

what? i swear to god Confessor or whatever was the last one. don't tell me he kept going. I won't want to have to read more sword of truth.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ian McShane is a drat international treasure

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can't do this in a multivolume high fantasy book series thread.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

what? i swear to god Confessor or whatever was the last one. don't tell me he kept going. I won't want to have to read more sword of truth.

technically its the last of the things titled sword of truth but theres 4 books that are "a richard and kalhan adventures" or some poo poo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jsoh posted:

technically its the last of the things titled sword of truth but theres 4 books that are "a richard and kalhan adventures" or some poo poo

oh jesus christ, looks like im gonna be reading some lovely rear end fantasy books when i finish with the hydrogen sonata. drat my obsessive completionist nature.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If deadwood oval office man is bringing someone back to life does that mean they're making clegane the new stoneheart? That's dumb I hope he just meant it metaphorically. What's wrong with a regular non magical redemption arc?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Krinkle posted:

If deadwood oval office man is bringing someone back to life does that mean they're making clegane the new stoneheart? That's dumb I hope he just meant it metaphorically. What's wrong with a regular non magical redemption arc?

He's probably Aeron Greyjoy or whatever.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If y'all aren't reading Matt Stover for your gritty, savage fantasy tales, you're doing it wrong.

Yes, Matt Stover's Heart of an Athelete which describes his epic journey as to the underworld of Christianity and being a witness to the transgressions of the Baltimore Ravens.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Business Insider just did a piece on CLEGANEBOWL and I realized I have forgotten so much of the books because of the TV show and jokes in this thread.

I was like "Brienne fought the Hound, how did she run into the gravedigger in that one chapter" (I had to look it up, Sandor fought those Lannister dudes and """"died"""")...

But I still honestly have no idea what they're talking about with Cersei requiring a trial by combat. She did the naked walk and last I remember that was the end of all that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Naked walk was for fornication. She's still charged with treason and murder.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 15, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Side note: I have irony poisoning. I'm trying to remember season 4 and 5 versus the show and all that comes to mind is Ser Pounce is the prince that was promised and the show skipping sticky princes and myrish swamp.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

oh jesus christ, looks like im gonna be reading some lovely rear end fantasy books when i finish with the hydrogen sonata. drat my obsessive completionist nature.
No, stop, you finished your geas and read all of the Sword of Truth books. You're free! :unsmith:

You'll never again have to read about evil incarnated as a chicken, or big barbed namble cocks, or how morally righteous it is to murder unarmed anti-war protesters (or kick small children in the face) , or how Kahlan is only almost-raped once a book, or the statue that's so inspiringly crafted it leads to a revolt against the not-USSR, or...thankfully, I'd forgotten most of that poo poo, but I'm sure you haven't!

e: Sorry, the protesters weren't unarmed, they were "armed only with their hatred for moral clarity". Right. Why is this still buried in my brain?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 15, 2016

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Sword of Truth has super super hot babes tho, and not even all of them get raped repeatedly. Although I could be wrong about that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That doesn't even look like real facial hair in his headshot. If your beard looks like brown shoe polish you need to step up your game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MrSlam posted:

Ian McShane is a drat international treasure

Where do we go to donate to the "Ian McShane tells TVIV to shut the gently caress up" fund?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Where do we go to donate to the "Ian McShane tells TVIV to shut the gently caress up" fund?

Here ya go!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't remember the first two or three Sword of Truth novels being that bad but they steadily descend into insanity after that. Also they all become disturbingly formulaic. Richard rants about the free market, Kahlan gets almost raped, all looks lost, then Richard miraculously figures out how to fix everything and wins in the last chapter.

Also the main bad guy in that eats all the time, has his own personal retinue of whores, and is a communist. And there's a caste of women that just torture people and wear tight leather. And the much noted demonic chicken. I'm forgetting other stuff.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't remember the first two or three Sword of Truth novels being that bad but they steadily descend into insanity after that. Also they all become disturbingly formulaic. Richard rants about the free market, Kahlan gets almost raped, all looks lost, then Richard miraculously figures out how to fix everything and wins in the last chapter.

Also the main bad guy in that eats all the time, has his own personal retinue of whores, and is a communist. And there's a caste of women that just torture people and wear tight leather. And the much noted demonic chicken. I'm forgetting other stuff.

dont forget that the torture women have magical leather dildos that inflict extreme pain upon touch

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's implied that the one used on Richard is shoved up his rear end at some point.

He wears it around his neck for most of the second book.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kavak posted:

It's implied that the one used on Richard is shoved up his rear end at some point.

He wears it around his neck for most of the second book.

Worse/douchier necklace material fashion choice, magic leather torture dildo that still has your own rear end smegma on it, or puka shell?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure that once you've been raped with an rear end torture dildo, you're entitled to do whatever the gently caress you want with it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
also the first baddy's name was fuckin "darken rahl". like, come on dude.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
second baddy wants you to be very clear that he has mustachios, and they are very particularly groomed

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

also the first baddy's name was fuckin "darken rahl". like, come on dude.

Am uh, am I saying this right?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Goodkind wishes he was as lofty as post-hair metal skeezes.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't remember the first two or three Sword of Truth novels being that bad but they steadily descend into insanity after that. Also they all become disturbingly formulaic.

And the much noted demonic chicken. I'm forgetting other stuff.

Even the chicken gets copied later on, except it's a possessed goat spy, which Richard discovers at the very end followed by a group chortle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lycus posted:

Naked walk was for fornication. She's still charged with treason and murder.

Considering Cersei I could see her decided to go "you know what, gently caress it, my confession was simply to get out of your goddamn torture chambers because you wouldn't accept the truth of my innocence. I recant everything, gently caress you and say hello to my undead champion."

Then Sandor shows up as the champion for the faith and we get zombie Cleganebowl.

Ravenfood posted:

No, stop, you finished your geas and read all of the Sword of Truth books. You're free! :unsmith:

You'll never again have to read about evil incarnated as a chicken, or big barbed namble cocks, or how morally righteous it is to murder unarmed anti-war protesters (or kick small children in the face) , or how Kahlan is only almost-raped once a book, or the statue that's so inspiringly crafted it leads to a revolt against the not-USSR, or...thankfully, I'd forgotten most of that poo poo, but I'm sure you haven't!

e: Sorry, the protesters weren't unarmed, they were "armed only with their hatred for moral clarity". Right. Why is this still buried in my brain?

I watched the TV series on Netflix years ago and while it seemed like it was trying (and usually failing) to copy the campy feel of Hercules and Xena, these books just sound like some next level poo poo. :stare:

Like in one of the episodes Zed was kidnapped by the BDSM rape witches and he seemed to be slowly getting through to her but richard and the others basically snipe her and she falls off a cliff to her death and either Zed doesn't say anything or nobody cares that she was coming around.

The TV show has the demon chicken in it too at some point but I could only laugh because it was so loving goofy. That probably wasn't the intent though. Do the books also have a part where Richard is apparently able to become a totally amazing god-tier magic user but he decided to quit his training to help his friends right now which somehow also results in his godlike magic powers being lost forever?

...goddamn you people for making me remember that TV show. :sigh:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So what did Ian McShane spoil?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

So what did Ian McShane spoil?

Stoneheart may be back in.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Looking at it seems he's the monk who's chilling with the Hound?

I thought he was playing Euron. Bollocks, that was one of the few things I was looking forward to.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He plays a former soldier who found peace and said he "brings back a character everyone thought was dead". This fits exactly with the description of the elder brother on the quiet isle bringing back Sandor Clegane. Safe to assume that Sandor's survival will be much more explicit in the show than it is in the book.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He plays a former soldier who found peace and said he "brings back a character everyone thought was dead". This fits exactly with the description of the elder brother on the quiet isle bringing back Sandor Clegane. Safe to assume that Sandor's survival will be much more explicit in the show than it is in the book.

Hopefully we'll be getting the Cleganebowl this season. I have a bet with my roommate that it happens in episode 8, just before the giant Stark/Bolton battle in ep. 9.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Personally I find the whole cleganbowl thing to be very un-grrm like, it's the sort of closure he usually shies away from. Perhaps Sandor will be instrumental to the downfall of unGregor but I'll be surprised if they actually duel it out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But it is very D&D like sooooooooooo

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not sure how they'd even duel, given that Sandor is both crippled and a supposed pacifist. There's no scenario in which Frankenmountain wouldn't just grind him into paste, unless he's either way weaker than expected or has some exploitable weakness.