Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, right there with ya - surprised to see anyone say that. Maybe it's partially because I've never seen Goodfellas? I understood the tropes of the storytelling form, though. Thought it was an interesting episode but there have been like 3 this season I've liked way more.

Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies but I wasn't 100% sure they were parodying it until late in the episode (at first it seemed like a general Scorsese parody). I think the the body burying scene finally made me sure. They could have got way more specific and done a dead body montage or helicopter scene parody. Or had The Monarch pistol whip a guy that harassed Dr. Girlfriend.

null fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mortanis posted:

I find it interesting Gary was kidnapped so young and lived with the Monarch, only to apparently move back in with his mother in Hate Floats. Either his mom had shared custody with the Monarch or Gary just showed up one day with all his comic crap and resumed his life after the Monarch wound up in prison.

I can't remember what episode it was but it gets mentioned before. 21 mentions that he was kidnapped and that it was 24 who did it. I can't find it now because everything has been updated to reference the latest episode.

Edit: It was the third episode, Home Insecurity. 21 says "You guys kidnapped me when I was 15." So that's pretty far back to go for continuity.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 14, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

null posted:

Or had The Monarch pistol whip a guy that harassed Dr. Girlfriend.

Action Man pistol whipping that Arch Villan wasn't enough? :v:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MrSlam posted:

Man, I could listen to the characters narrate to themselves about the world they live in for hours. At the very least the Venture Brothers could survive as a bizarre little podcast.

Also, I never noticed Dragoon's eyes were slits until now.

They weren't slits until now.

Narrowing of the pupils can be a sign of stroke, brain tumor, or Horner's Syndrome.

Also, red/pink eyes can be a lot of things, like irritation, pinkeye, lack of sleep, etc. - but the most serious is probably glaucoma.

Red fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 14, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I like that fact that the guild got a whole rank system created because Action man is a psycho. The whole Doctor Z's flashback sequence was great too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jonas and the Action Man are probably the most horrible characters on the show.

Edit: going through this episode again, it's so good. It starts off with that plan that is so Monarch that it hurts. He captures (who he thinks is) a senator and what does he do? He uses that opportunity to arch Venture by trying to make his name illegal. It's as stupid as it is brilliant. Rusty could either keep his name and keep getting arrested or change his name and lose everything that makes him famous, his name.

I seriously hope the last episode at least explains what happened to the Blue Morpho. We've been waiting years on this Vendata theory, I just want to see the conclusion of it already. I can see why they said they didn't have enough time to wrap this up. There's so many questions asked in just this episode and there's no way they could answer them in 22 minutes.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 14, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wasn't feeling his episode. the whole multiple narrator thing felt off

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Monarch's whole monologue ending with him "Guess who's a four?" is so loving funny.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 14, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hollismason posted:

Monarch's whole monologue ending with him "Guess who's a four?" is so loving funny.
I liked all the backstory and background-filling stuff, and explaining the ranking system was the best of it all I think.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cojawfee posted:

Jonas and the Action Man are probably the most horrible characters on the show.

Action Man is hopped up on juice provided by Jonas so he gets a pass. Buuuut I'd go further with Jonas and say Jonas has always been the true supervillain of the show, def also by far the biggest murderous prick.

Anyone else notice Gary is looking a lot less pudgy and more muscled solid brick shitouse?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I seriously hope the last episode at least explains what happened to the Blue Morpho. We've been waiting years on this Vendata theory, I just want to see the conclusion of it already. I can see why they said they didn't have enough time to wrap this up. There's so many questions asked in just this episode and there's no way they could answer them in 22 minutes.

They've already committed to an underwhelming finale, reveal-wise, with a lot of plot threads left loose.

See you in 2020.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Action Man is hopped up on juice provided by Jonas so he gets a pass. Buuuut I'd go further with Jonas and say Jonas has always been the true supervillain of the show, def also by far the biggest murderous prick.

Anyone else notice Gary is looking a lot less pudgy and more muscled solid brick shitouse?
Gary's been built like a brick shithouse since like season 4.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

Action Man pistol whipping that Arch Villan wasn't enough? :v:

Yeah that part was good :) it just could have been more of a Goodfellas reference. I also enjoyed Watch and Ward at the kiddie table.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

null posted:

I also enjoyed Watch and Ward at the kiddie table.

Having to raise their hand if they wanted to speak :allears:

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Monarch's manspreading is some next level poo poo. I also liked "what do you want from me, I'm tied to a thing!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
With no hyperbole, I think that all four narratives coming together at the end in the delivery when Rusty gets shot is maybe the most artistically oriented thing that they've done and I was utterly spellbound.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

With no hyperbole, I think that all four narratives coming together at the end in the delivery when Rusty gets shot is maybe the most artistically oriented thing that they've done and I was utterly spellbound.

I appreciate what they were trying to do with the episode but they should have spent more time making it actually funny or enjoyable to watch. Easily the worst episode of the season, hopefully the finale makes up for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Firebatgyro posted:

I appreciate what they were trying to do with the episode but they should have spent more time making it actually funny or enjoyable to watch. Easily the worst episode of the season, hopefully the finale makes up for it.

Mods?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
So uh should I watch goodfellas?

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
I like how they named a cocktail after the keyboardist from Faith No More, guess they must be fans?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Consummate Professional posted:

The answer to this question, whether you've never seen it, seen it once, or seen it 1000 times is..... yes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I like that the kiddie table is clearly a fold-out with a contact paper top with some 1970s design on it (wood grain or checkered, I can't remember).

I really can't wait to see all of this come to a head. And I also know that, like the last season or two, they made the story a bit too big and the finale won't be until the start of the next season. Someone said something about 2020, but that's pretty optimistic.

Still, I loved this episode. I don't see it so much as a take on (or spoof of) Goodfellas, mainly because that movie stays in the narrative voice of one character except for one or two brief sequences where it shifts to the guy's wife, and those sequences are very brief. This movie seemed to me to be more of an homage, or an orgy perhaps, of noir. It starts with Twenty-One's noir shtick, and then the noir ball gets passed form character to character.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Chucullinn posted:

I like how they named a cocktail after the keyboardist from Faith No More, guess they must be fans?

What? Grenadine and tomato are both red and they would end up on the bottom. Making a ruddy bottom.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Cojawfee posted:

What? Grenadine and tomato are both red and they would end up on the bottom. Making a ruddy bottom.

Seems too coincidental for this show..
"Roswell Christopher "Roddy" Bottum III is an American musician, best known as the keyboardist for the San Francisco hard rock band Faith No More."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's nice except the guy's name is Roddy Bottum and the drink's name is Ruddy Bottom per the captions.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wrong! A Ruddy Bottom is a straight move!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That's nice except the guy's name is Roddy Bottum and the drink's name is Ruddy Bottom per the captions.

lol

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the name of the song that plays at the end of this episode?

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The part near the end with 21 digging while illuminated red by his tail lights is a pretty direct Goodfellas reference. That's in addition to all of the narration and such which while not explicity Goodfellas is certainly in Scorsese's style.

Consummate Professional posted:

Yup it's really really good, one of the best movies ever made imo.

null fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 15, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JT Jag posted:

Gary's been built like a brick shithouse since like season 4.

He got big but he had a big layer of blubber. He seems to be nowhere near as pudgy a season 4 and just becoming solid muscle.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Oh. Well that's totally different then, isn't it? Couldn't possibly be connected at all. Nope. Sheer coincidence.

FWIW, in the commentary tracks on one of the earlier seasons' DVDs, the subject of Mike Patton and Faith No More did come up. Doc is into underground and underrated music, and he's familiar with the band on some level, so it could well be a reference. But, "ruddy" is a word, and it means red; the drink is red syrup mixed with tomato sauce and rum (I think?), so it'd definitely be red.

You know, the doctails usually sound horribly undrinkable, but this one? This one might actually be truly awful.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I heard "Runny Bottom" which I figured was in line with Doc's disgusting drinks. Also my hearing sucks. :v: But yeah, a band reference isn't surprising.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Just wait til Dean turns 21. He'll be putting that syrup in everything and calling it Grenadean.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait, Dean isn't already 21?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, Dean isn't already 21?

Well, maybe not that Dean anyways.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He just started college so no.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cojawfee posted:

He just started college so no.

Plenty of people start college in their early-mid 20's. Or later!

But yes Dean is like 18/19.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 15, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Gary as drawn in the series has physically gotten bigger and more muscular when he took off his shirt it was like "drat Gary".

Also, it's hilarious that he actually has a supervillian back story. "Raised by Henchman of a Supervillian".

Their art has gotten better over the seasons but he's obviously being drawn as more fireplug than fat guy with some muscular arms.

Season 6

Season 5?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 15, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Dean has been drawn to cats all season, most recently when Rusty drags him to the Sicillian supertailor. (There's a big fat purring cat lying on the counter, Dean spends the entire scene petting it.)

Wonder what's up with that. You know it means something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kesper North posted:

Dean has been drawn to cats all season, most recently when Rusty drags him to the Sicillian supertailor. (There's a big fat purring cat lying on the counter, Dean spends the entire scene petting it.)

Wonder what's up with that. You know it means something.

Sometimes a sensitive kid petting a cat is a sensitive kid petting a cat.