Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I really like conveyor belts and the power cables. Also, I kind of want to see how the Bottler compares to a Fluid Transposer.

Conveyor Belts work with other stuff that use pipes too. I have them between Mekanism machines currently, just for the fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Cryohazard posted:

The problems with TiCon are the TE alloys (signalum, lumium, enderium) and the crossbow being ridiculous. If you can gently caress those right out the mod it'd be fine.

Actually, yeah, crossbows are the big problem here. Other than that, TiCon is a fun mod with some neat mechanics, like smelteries, and the individual parts that tools are made of. Or putting 90 pistons on a battle axe and knocking zombies into the next zip code. :black101:

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Bluemillion posted:

Actually, yeah, crossbows are the big problem here. Other than that, TiCon is a fun mod with some neat mechanics, like smelteries, and the individual parts that tools are made of. Or putting 90 pistons on a battle axe and knocking zombies into the next zip code. :black101:

I mostly enjoy the customization of the tools, how everyone can have similar, yet different, pickaxes and other tools, and choosing your own upgrades/enchantments (before I learned of Botania's Enchanter, Thaumic Tinkerer's Osmotic Enchanter, Enchanting Plus, and others), though TiC requires less build-up, IMO, than the magical or technological methods mentioned.

lolmer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 15, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
I figure if anyone would know it'd be people in here; I'm having a problem with IE floodlights, where they draw power for a couple seconds and then shut off. My current setup is EnderIO power conduit into an HV Capacitor, HV wire into an HV transformer out through LV wire into the floodlight. I've tried just about every setup possible within IE and it continues to happen.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magres posted:

Any goons got recommendations for server hosts? I'm considering booting up a like 10 person modded server for some friends and don't want to run it off my desktop cause I don't feel like leaving my computer on all the time.

2nding this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good modpack with a progression/quest system like HQM? I like material energy and I liked Sky Den way back when.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ariong posted:

Can anyone recommend a good modpack with a progression/quest system like HQM? I like material energy and I liked Sky Den way back when.

Blightfall. Its on Technic.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Blightfall is goon-made and features an actual world to explore, except for one wee problem -- it might be completely covered in Thaumcraft taint. :sweatdrop:

Regrowth is skyblock-ish as well, and a bit grindy, but still kinda fun.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Ariong posted:

There's the Agrarian Skies 2 skyblock

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think I'm getting the early-game nailed down. I slowed progression a decent amount without (hopefully) making it too slow and tedious.

Firstly, (as usual) the server will be on hard. The key to survival is avoiding fighting, until you can get some equipment. Second, spice of life is enabled, albeit at a pretty lenient food memory setting. Just enough to make you want to get a little farm going rather than just stuffing an endless stream of cooked potatoes down your gob. Progression wise, the only processing machines you can make from the get-go are the basic redstone furnace and pulverizer - and they require a rolling machine to craft. Power production is mostly unlocked currently, though some is nerfed a little bit, but as usual survivalists generators tend to offer the best bang for your buck at this stage. Ducts and servos are normal, so you can make some basic automation while you build things up. Also, storage controllers and compacting drawers are easier to craft, to ease early-game storage pains. From there, you have to go straight to steel via IE - I altered recipes so that going to the nether is not required to build a blast furnace, only required to build the upgraded one, so you can get steel going from quite an early stage, the only prerequisite is a coke oven.

Once you get steel, you can build the IE presser, which is required to make any gears - which lets you get the induction smelter and make your first alloys (I disabled the recipes that allow you to make alloys from dust). That unlocks a pretty wide tree of stuff from other TE machines to EIO machines to fancy tools (via RFdrills - since I'm leaving Tcon out for the time being). Next step - figuring out how to slow down tier 3 stuff, specifically upgraded armor, and allowing the beginning of AE without going from 0 to 100 with it immediately.

There's still a loooot of work to do to keep things going along the lines I'm going, but if time allows I'd like to have some kind of like beta/alpha playtest server going in a week or two.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taffer posted:

Second, spice of life is enabled, albeit at a pretty lenient food memory setting. Just enough to make you want to get a little farm going rather than just stuffing an endless stream of cooked potatoes down your gob.

Aww. That means I can't take advantage of Harvestcraft again to enjoy the gooniest diet: nothing but peanut butter.

Also seriously Taffer, get a Patreon or something going. I'm pretty sure several goons would love to bankroll your awesome modpacks. They're well done and generally buttery smooth performance wise.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

How do Progressive Automation machines work? I have a stone chopper with a stone axe, plenty of charcoal, saplings, and a stone upgrade. What else does it need to work?

EDIT: it plants saplings but it doesn't chop apparently.

Yeah, i completely ignored these machines in the pack im playing, they suck (and i have no reason to make them unsuck with understanding when i can drop a planters and harvester from another mod to do the job better)

Cryohazard posted:

Try enderium tip with lumium core for the same damage with much more range.

Ohh i will definetely do this once i find more ender pearls (they seem to be the rarest material atm) I think it took me about 15 shots to hit something far away as they have a massive drop on them.

Thyrork posted:

Blightfall. Its on Technic.

Yes.

I didnt know it was goon made? who made it? Will they update the botania ^^

Id still love to join a blightfall server.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

Technic is goons, and blightfall is a Technic pack. But technically it wasn't made by them, they just helped update it and then hosted it as an official pack. But it's a good one for sure.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Alkydere posted:

Also seriously Taffer, get a Patreon or something going. I'm pretty sure several goons would love to bankroll your awesome modpacks. They're well done and generally buttery smooth performance wise.

I second this.

Also Taffer your notes sound really interesting. I'd suggest leaving out jetpacks, too. They kind of trivialize everything once you get one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yet more New Horizons: I finally built an Electric Blast Furnace, but maybe prematurely, because I'm having a hard time supplying enough constant voltage to keep it running long enough to process aluminum. For anyone who's past this point, how'd you manage it? As far as I can see my options right now are to either save up a whole lot of steam and push it through five basic steam turbines into two energy hatches, or build a battery buffer, an electrolyzer (for sodium), a canning machine, and 8 batteries to charge up pre-emptively and run the EBF in bursts off of that.

I admit I do like that it's giving me a challenge but I wish most of them weren't solved by just throwing another 2-4 stacks of ingots at it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Yet more New Horizons: I finally built an Electric Blast Furnace, but maybe prematurely, because I'm having a hard time supplying enough constant voltage to keep it running long enough to process aluminum. For anyone who's past this point, how'd you manage it? As far as I can see my options right now are to either save up a whole lot of steam and push it through five basic steam turbines into two energy hatches, or build a battery buffer, an electrolyzer (for sodium), a canning machine, and 8 batteries to charge up pre-emptively and run the EBF in bursts off of that.

I admit I do like that it's giving me a challenge but I wish most of them weren't solved by just throwing another 2-4 stacks of ingots at it.

Battery buffer is the way to go.
I tried for a while to find a Rare Earth ore deposit in TF, didn't succeed and gave up, made the electrolyzer for sodium. I'll electrolyze clay into lithium for my MV batteries. It doesn't cost that much to get an electrolyzer, actually! Nor a battery buffer, unless you go for a 16-slot one. That's a full stack of tin right there.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What kind of pretty/decorating/building mod stuff should I be highlighting in BFSR? I've traditionally sucked at this. Things I am going to highlight:

Chisel, including:
Factory blocks
Fantasy blocks
Holy blocks
Concrete
Jack-o-lanterns
Presents
Paper walls

Carpenters block
Carpenters wedge
Carpenters door
Carpenters hammer

Forge saw

Blackout curtains

Angel block

Building guide

Some kind of blast-proof wall

Builder's wand

Paint mixer

Fancy Signs

Some smattering of decocraft that I haven't figured out yet.

TiCon chisel

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

I have difficulty building anything but giant rectangular warehouses, but I try to at least make the lighting look good. Covering everything in torches is awful and none of the Chisel alternative torches look good either IMO. Thaumcraft Arcane Lamps are awesome, but they're expensive and take a long time to get to. Lately I've been embedding Extra Utilities Colored Glowstone in the floor and walls and that looks nice.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nomikos posted:

I have difficulty building anything but giant rectangular warehouses, but I try to at least make the lighting look good. Covering everything in torches is awful and none of the Chisel alternative torches look good either IMO. Thaumcraft Arcane Lamps are awesome, but they're expensive and take a long time to get to. Lately I've been embedding Extra Utilities Colored Glowstone in the floor and walls and that looks nice.

Carpenter's torches can be reskinned, and you can use glowstone dust on a carpenter block to make it emit glowstone level light without changing it's appearance.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nomikos posted:

Chisel torches suck, but chisel glowstone blocks are pretty good. There's some smooth, decorative, and lamplike options. Like SugarAddict said though, glowstone on carpenter blocks is great for seemingly sourceless lighting, for rooms that are pleasantly lit up without being cluttered.

Do Carpenter blocks still lag servers? I played back in 1.6.4 with them and even having maybe 20-30 in an area produced noticeable slowdown.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Chisel torches suck, but chisel glowstone blocks are pretty good. There's some smooth, decorative, and lamplike options. Like SugarAddict said though, glowstone on carpenter blocks is great for seemingly sourceless lighting, for rooms that are pleasantly lit up without being cluttered.

Do Carpenter blocks still lag servers? I played back in 1.6.4 with them and even having maybe 20-30 in an area produced noticeable slowdown.

They do but not as badly now.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

CoreDuo posted:

Logged onto my server today and... blood moon. Off to a great start.

I am currently trying to make Tritium , So thats 2 solar evaporators + the solar infuser thingy = Night then Rain Then Night then Rain ..... I left it chunk loaded with a world anchor and after 12 hours it had only made 20,000 mb of Tritium thanks to the rain - it rains 3 days out of 4 on the server.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

five basic steam turbines

Wait, why five? Doesn't the EBF use 128 eu/t? That's 4x32.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Wait, why five? Doesn't the EBF use 128 eu/t? That's 4x32.
I played around with it in creative mode and couldn't get it to fire on just 4. It would start up, but couldn't maintain long enough to finish, not even for more than a few seconds. Probably because tin wires of all sizes will lose 1 volt per packet, per meter of wire. So maybe you could if you jammed them all right up against the machine, but positioning in this is proving trickier than I thought. If you minimized wires and focused on pipes instead you could probably do just 4, but I might stick to batteries since that's more modular and reliable.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I played around with it in creative mode and couldn't get it to fire on just 4. It would start up, but couldn't maintain long enough to finish, not even for more than a few seconds. Probably because tin wires of all sizes will lose 1 volt per packet, per meter of wire. So maybe you could if you jammed them all right up against the machine, but positioning in this is proving trickier than I thought. If you minimized wires and focused on pipes instead you could probably do just 4, but I might stick to batteries since that's more modular and reliable.

Oh right, cable loss. That'd do it alright. Gregtech is such a pain in the rear end.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Magres posted:

Any goons got recommendations for server hosts? I'm considering booting up a like 10 person modded server for some friends and don't want to run it off my desktop cause I don't feel like leaving my computer on all the time.

Turtlicious posted:

2nding this.

I have good experiences with Hosthorde before. Small servers with 3-6 players spread out with little regard to reducing lag. It will lag once your world get's big enough, but I think it's good for the price.
We used the unlimited one, but everyone chipped in. You want at least 2 GB of RAM for your modded server, don't get the starter one.
https://www.hosthorde.com/

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Rocko: Have you considered Ztones? I love flat lamps.

Taffer: I vote FOR jetpacks. Just gate them like everything else, or just leave the EIO ones in (and disable the TE ones), and then they'd already be gated, since you've gated EIO.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Meskhenet posted:

Id still love to join a blightfall server.

Botania wont get updated, nor will anything else in that modpack. Its a very carefully crafted beast at this point and updating anything either A) Throws out wild problems or B) breaks the finely tuned balance.

For example, update chisle? The entire starting ship you set off from vanishes, leaving you to crash into the ocean with nothing and in the middle of nowhere. :unsmigghh:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Datasmurf posted:

Taffer: I vote FOR jetpacks. Just gate them like everything else, or just leave the EIO ones in (and disable the TE ones), and then they'd already be gated, since you've gated EIO.

I'm leaning towards no, one of the patterns I've noticed in modded minecraft is that the fun starts to fall off pretty sharply the more "abilities" you get, via armor or magic or whatever. That includes flight and high jump and fast movement and even perhaps gliding to an extent. That's not to say that I'm going to completely remove those things, because a slightly higher jump and a slightly higher movespeed and, of course, step assist are pretty important to to help round off some of the rough edges of minecraft, but it has to be pretty strongly tempered IMO.

Notice, for example, how everyone abandoned modular power suits. For a little while it was in almost every pack - the armor and its capabilities were so strong and so accessible that it was too good to ignore, so everyone beelined for it first thing, but as soon as they got a complete suit it was like they were "done". Nothing else was particularly engaging after that and that's usually the point where people would stop playing. It didn't get abandoned because it stopped existing, either - MPS is on 1.7 and has been for probably a year or more. But nobody plays it because it stands out as the strongest single example of what I'm talking about.

That said, it's possible that I will include jetpacks, but if I do I will probably only allow the first couple tiers, and stick them to the behavior of glorified gliders. They'll let you get up cliffs and build in awkward places but they won't let you zip around the world like superman, and certainly not give you creative flight (creative flight is anathema to good gameplay IMO).

One of the next things on my list to investigate and alter for the pack I'm working on is EIO armor. I love it, but I want to see how far (or even at all) I can slow and change its buildup, because by default you can go from initially crafting it to having it fully upgraded pretty darn quickly, but I'd like the buildup to be a little slower and more deliberate. But we'll see. I have a lot of testing to do in that whole area. Botania will probably be the next on the block for the same reasons.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Taffer posted:

EIO armor progression

Can you tweak the amount of XP it requires, or lower/reduce the amount of XP you get from mining etc?

I'd also think about limiting/nerfing spawners and grinders a bit. I was never really a fan, but even I ended up making a small one for things, and some of the... murder factories I guess is the best term for it that the other Progress ppl would make were disturbing to say the least.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Can you tweak the amount of XP it requires, or lower/reduce the amount of XP you get from mining etc?

I'd also think about limiting/nerfing spawners and grinders a bit. I was never really a fan, but even I ended up making a small one for things, and some of the... murder factories I guess is the best term for it that the other Progress ppl would make were disturbing to say the least.

I'm definitely turning off the MFR spawner, and I'll dig through the EIO config to see how much I can to do it, though I do think I want it to be possible to spawn mobs. Just be suitably expensive and late-game. I may disable all grinders besides the IE one, too. Again, lots of ideas to test and explore, a lot of these ideas are just "I dunno, maybe" at this point. It's important to see how things play out and how the alterations I'm already making affect other things.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nomikos posted:

Illuminators from Thermal Expansion look great and come in a variety of shapes. They're not super easy to make, but they're a lot easier than Arcane Lamps.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

I'm definitely turning off the MFR spawner, and I'll dig through the EIO config to see how much I can to do it, though I do think I want it to be possible to spawn mobs. Just be suitably expensive and late-game. I may disable all grinders besides the IE one, too. Again, lots of ideas to test and explore, a lot of these ideas are just "I dunno, maybe" at this point. It's important to see how things play out and how the alterations I'm already making affect other things.
Just need to be careful about what grinders can provide vs what other things can provide. It's okay if you can setup a few grinders for a flow of certain things, but in lots of packs you can use grinders to get infinite whatever the heck you want.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Khorne posted:

Just need to be careful about what grinders can provide vs what other things can provide. It's okay if you can setup a few grinders for a flow of certain things, but in lots of packs you can use grinders to get infinite whatever the heck you want.

Oh, absolutely, you don't need to worry about that. Much like farms, I don't think mob spawners should be a source of more than a specific set of resources.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mzbundifund posted:

Illuminators from Thermal Expansion look great and come in a variety of shapes. They're not super easy to make, but they're a lot easier than Arcane Lamps.

How do you get them to be different shapes? I know you can but I couldn't figure out out to do it a few days ago. I ended up just using the crafting recipe to make one lamp into 2 mini-laps and stuck them on the floor everywhere. With a little creativity I made them look like hazard lamps/markers on the ground for my factory.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Thyrork posted:

For example, update chisle? The entire starting ship you set off from vanishes, leaving you to crash into the ocean with nothing and in the middle of nowhere. :unsmigghh:
Hmm, I wonder if the changes I made to Lockdown would fix that. My tutorial dimension would go to poo poo and turn all the walls into molten bronze and stuff when I updated mods. I went through a whole routine to have the block IDs properly migrate. However, I think some mods would latch on to the original block IDs on startup and cause trouble. For example, I had to completely redo my ductwork in the tutorial dimension because Thermal Dynamics duct logic was trying to apply itself to blocks at the original, incorrect IDs.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Datasmurf posted:

I never heard of that pack. Is it actually kind of common? I wonder if it's just one of those things I gloss over.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Alkydere posted:

How do you get them to be different shapes? I know you can but I couldn't figure out out to do it a few days ago. I ended up just using the crafting recipe to make one lamp into 2 mini-laps and stuck them on the floor everywhere. With a little creativity I made them look like hazard lamps/markers on the ground for my factory.

You just make a few and chuck 'em in a crafting grid in various shapes. Here's all the possibilities. The narrow strip shape in the middle there is my favorite.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I never heard of that pack. Is it actually kind of common? I wonder if it's just one of those things I gloss over.

It's not very common. It's a good mod, though, just adds a bunch of cosmetic blocks and a couple nifty functional ones. There's a compat mod too that allows it to work properly with chisel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Common enough, I've seen it in many goon-made modpacks.

I'm always happy when I see it in, not just for the flat lamps, but also for the Zkul blocks. They remind me of Warhammer.